Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Is Awful Fantasy 3 any good to people that weren't paying attention to forum drama in the early 00's? I've had it forever but never fired it up because I figured it was 80% in-jokes.

The short answer is yes.

There are a lot of jokes like this in the game, but I still found them to be pretty funny most of the time even when I wasn't "in the know". I looked a few things up in SAclopedia as I was playing which made them even funnier, but most were very enjoyable even without doing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

penguinmambo posted:

Game aside Lightning is great as a character because it tells you so much about how Star Power is handled by those kinds of companies. They hit a goldmine and still IMHO aren't sure how it happened, but the know she was the most popular thing in the game and thru Japanese Business Logic are heavily pushing her foremost (which might work fine if she was in some other medium besides a tedious multihour game). There's also a hilarious tug-of-war between her designer revealing himself to be a creepo and the character preceived to be moneymaking/appealing because she's 'serious' (there is some legit Japanese Idol logic going on here) and thus needing to keep a dignity in the presentation, which is why the catgirl outfit was seen as funny by the fanbase but not Toriyama's recent interview joking about boob physics. I mean there's a reason one of the outfits you can buy is apparently a butler suit and not a maid one, while Serah could wear a fashionable beach swimsuit in *her* game. :v:

Now I'm curious. How did the Japanese fanbase react to the catgirl outfit and Toriyama's interview? Does anyone even know?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Xavier434 posted:

The short answer is yes.

There are a lot of jokes like this in the game, but I still found them to be pretty funny most of the time even when I wasn't "in the know". I looked a few things up in SAclopedia as I was playing which made them even funnier, but most were very enjoyable even without doing this.

If you're not well versed on the lore of SA/have played FF6 before certain things can be a tad confusing. The clock puzzle in Zozo for instance requires some by now esoteric SA knowledge. The reward though is a tool which basically oneshots the games difficulty so fair is fair.

The mod is also really really easy with many enemies who were semi-annoying in FF6 now instantly dying and some bosses pulling the same trick. It also occassionally snaps out of its fugue state of saying things like "Join the man train, toot-fuckin-toot" to tell you metagame things like "Terra is in Zozo. Go to Zozo. Zozo."

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Of course, you can skip playing the game completely and just read the Let's Play of it instead. I hear the game's pretty buggy (well, buggier than usual).

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
So, how about that FFXIV? Is that out yet are people actually playing that yet? Is it any good c'mon let's maybe not talk about loving romhacks please.

I thought FFXI was very pretty and also incredibly unfuckingfun to play, I hated leveling down and the combat was boring. Is there any reason for me to check out the PS3 version of FFXIV?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So, how about that FFXIV? Is that out yet are people actually playing that yet? Is it any good c'mon let's maybe not talk about loving romhacks please.

I thought FFXI was very pretty and also incredibly unfuckingfun to play, I hated leveling down and the combat was boring. Is there any reason for me to check out the PS3 version of FFXIV?

Imagine that someone at SE woke up from a scotch and leftover potions bender and realized that by Amaterasu FFXI was a steaming pile of poo poo and that, once this headache clears, they don't actually have to make FFXIV suck like it did. What I'm saying is FFXIV is nothing like FFXI other than having starting race stats be meaningless and that you can level every class and do all the content on a single character. Everything else is stolen from other MMOs and the whole thing is a gorgeous, modern MMO that is fun to play in a way that doesn't require a safeword like FFXI.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Barudak posted:

If you're not well versed on the lore of SA/have played FF6 before certain things can be a tad confusing. The clock puzzle in Zozo for instance requires some by now esoteric SA knowledge. The reward though is a tool which basically oneshots the games difficulty so fair is fair

Yeah if you have not played through the FF6 before then don't play Awful Fantasy. The experience won't be all that great. I forgot about Zozo. That one is tricky but I don't recall anything else being cryptic like that. People can always post here with questions if necessary.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Xavier434 posted:

Yeah if you have not played through the FF6 before then don't play Awful Fantasy. The experience won't be all that great. I forgot about Zozo. That one is tricky but I don't recall anything else being cryptic like that. People can always post here with questions if necessary.

For the most part my recollection is that items are renamed, there are some arbitrary rebalances that they don't ever clarify, item distribution is different and weighted heavily in the players favor*, and certain enemies and bosses just die. There is also a secret extra boss who will wreck your poo poo early on.

The real problem, as you said, is that critical "GO HERE NEXT" dialog is often replaced. Often the person you need to talk to will say something non-sensical but the next scene will start and you just sort of put up and deal with it. The other major downside is you will never be able to view the opera scene the same way again and will always quietly chuckle to yourself when you think of it**.

*Could you always replace steal with mug by the magitek factory? I don't remember be able to
**Did she just throw a baby?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Yeah. That's why it isn't a good first time FF6 experience but it was never really intended to be either it seems. If you are already some what familiar with the game then you won't issues except for very rare instances like the Zozo thing. I never got lost or forgot where to go while playing even though I had not touched FF6 for many years. In the end, there are only so many places to go at any given point until the World of Ruin where you are not given much direction in the original anyways.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

BottledBodhisvata posted:

FF14 has a whole thread for itself.

But as someone who has played the beta; Yes, It's Good.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

I played FF14 while it was free to play and transitioning from awful to playable. Even when it was bad I liked it better than 11, but I wasn't playing 11 with goons.

I'd probably still be playing it if my internet was reliable. After FF11 it was a crazy novelty to be playing a game where you could just log on for 30 minutes and actually do something besides take an airship ride.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I've been replaying FFXII, and all of the outfit designs are just... ridiculous, now that I think of it. Then again, JRPG/SE outfits have always been beyond weird, but I had a lot of time on my hands waiting for one of the hunts to drop their goddamn paling.

Basch is the only one that actually has an excuse. Dude just spent two years in a dungeon, so he basically had to take what he could get through like, the Rabanastre Goodwill. Knee-high gladiator sandals, cargo pants, shirt and vest that don't really fit, topped off with some potholder/bondage harness thing? The man will take what he can get. Meanwhile, Reddas shimmies into some pink stretch pants, looks at himself in the mirror and decides 'This is exactly what I need to fight the empire :v:'.

E: my theory also lends viability to why so many characters showed up so late in Advent Children. You know Barret was held up trying to find the perfect fishnet tanktop to go with his vest.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Well..the flip side of that coin is that if FF characters actually wore clothes that made sense based on their activities they would all look pretty boring and the same from one game to the next. Granted, FF is often over the top but I think that is part of its charm too and often hilarious.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MarsDragon posted:

Now I'm curious. How did the Japanese fanbase react to the catgirl outfit and Toriyama's interview? Does anyone even know?

Any response I've seen has basically been "whatever."

Xavier434 posted:

Well..the flip side of that coin is that if FF characters actually wore clothes that made sense based on their activities they would all look pretty boring and the same from one game to the next. Granted, FF is often over the top but I think that is part of its charm too and often hilarious.

Pretty much nobody in any form of game wears 'believable' clothing unless it's post-apocalyptic dirtrags, military equipment, or power armor. Plausible clothing for action and adventure tends to be incredibly boring for obvious reasons. Even when it comes to armored characters it tends to be aesthetic over practicality.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

Any response I've seen has basically been "whatever."

That was my reaction too coupled with chuckle over how ridiculous it was.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Xavier434 posted:

Well, I agree with you and ImpAtom. It's good for the characters to look unique and iconic, I agree, but I think its just that every playable character and companion in 12 just looks like the character designer was huffing paint fumes something fierce. It's not a bad thing, and I like some of the appearances, but it was the first FF game where I looked at every PC and just though 'you look ridiculous' (which isn't bad, which I don't think I pointed out in my previous post).

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

LadyPictureShow posted:

Well, I agree with you and ImpAtom. It's good for the characters to look unique and iconic, I agree, but I think its just that every playable character and companion in 12 just looks like the character designer was huffing paint fumes something fierce. It's not a bad thing, and I like some of the appearances, but it was the first FF game where I looked at every PC and just though 'you look ridiculous' (which isn't bad, which I don't think I pointed out in my previous post).

Even Balthier? :stonk:

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Balthier is definitely in my top 3 FF characters, he has such a... swagger.

Anyways, started another playthrough of X as it's been a while, and cos I don't have a PS3 (for the HD release) I figured I'd run it through PCSX2 and upscale. It was the first FF I played and, as such, is like a big warm blanket. Whilst I've probably played more of XII, which I also love, Spira just hits that sweet spot more for me than Ivalice.

It's also the first time I've tried the Advanced Sphere Grid, and goddamn does it make it easy to break the game. I'm at Bevelle's temple right now (sigh. what a slog this bit is), and maybe it's because I've finally 'got' what FF is about (having now played most of the main series from 4 onwards for at least a few hours), or maybe it's the advance grid, but I'm just powering through everything with Auron hitting for minimum 3000 hp. I'm actually going to attempt finishing the Arena and extra bosses/areas this time round.

As usual though, I'm stuck with what to do about Kimahri. I've been good and made sure to rotate my characters about so they all level up fairly equally, and have just taught him the -A spells whilst upping his magic. I guess it just bugs me that he has this massive fuckoff halberd and despite points in strength and weapon upgrades, he still only hits for >400. Is it worth using a teleport sphere to get him onto Auron's path, or is he never going to be a hard hitter? He just... looks like he should be smacking things about like Auron does.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Pretty much nobody in any form of game wears 'believable' clothing unless it's post-apocalyptic dirtrags, military equipment, or power armor. Plausible clothing for action and adventure tends to be incredibly boring for obvious reasons. Even when it comes to armored characters it tends to be aesthetic over practicality.

FF8's cast had fairly reasonable clothing, with the possible exceptions of Zell and Seifer. Maybe not believable for magical student mercenaries, but believable in the sense that seeing someone wearing something of that style wouldn't be particularly weird compared to seeing someone wearing clothes like Tifa's or Tidus's. Okay that last one was a bit of a cheap shot.

vvvv Gonna be honest, everyone should dress like the front men of J-pop bands.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 7, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

FF8's cast had fairly reasonable clothing, with the possible exceptions of Zell and Seifer. Maybe not believable for magical student mercenaries, but believable in the sense that seeing someone wearing something of that style wouldn't be particularly weird compared to seeing someone wearing clothes like Tifa's or Tidus's. Okay that last one was a bit of a cheap shot.

FF8 had clothing people wear but, as usual, it's more akin to something you'd see a J-Pop singer wearing, which isn't really believable outside of a concert.

Maybe sliiiightly less flamboyant.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

NonzeroCircle posted:

As usual though, I'm stuck with what to do about Kimahri.

Just go "screw it" and make him a Tidus clone. Gotta get twice the quick hits in there.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Genius. I'm determined to beat those other Ronso first time, handsomely. I've had enough of their poo poo.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

Even Balthier? :stonk:

Balthier is the only well-dressed PC in FFXII. Basch is a walking thrift store (which kinda makes sense, but still), Fran is, well, a viera through and through (though they all have dumb designs in this game), Penelo just looks kinda goofy, Vaan...ugh. The dumbest thing is that he actually looks pretty good in FFTA2 when he finally puts a loving shirt on. And then there's this travesty:

"Ooh I just love power, teehee~"

I mean, in FFVII, the first one where character design was really visible, everyone had pretty solid designs. Simple for the most part, but memorable. FFIX's designs (never played VIII) were definitely more complex, but they all still fit their characters (even Kuja!), and more importantly, nothing looks like it actively clashes with the game world. Then you get FFX, which kinda starts the dropping of the ball. You have Rikku, Auron, and Wakka (who looks perfect considering he's basically the tropical equivalent of a smalltown Texas hick who just can't let go of footballblitzball), but then you also have poo poo like Tidus and Lulu. Lulu especially looks like she has no business even existing in Spira. I know PCs have to look significant and unique next to NPCs but uh... maybe they should let the design teams work a little closer together in the future. And things just get even more absurd with Seymour and some of the X-2 designs.

And now of course, we have Lightning as a cat.

gettin mad bout final fantasies

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

NonzeroCircle posted:

Genius. I'm determined to beat those other Ronso first time, handsomely. I've had enough of their poo poo.

Don't they scale to your stats/level? Heard they did.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

NonzeroCircle posted:

You don't need to worry about that, that was as close to a scripted fight as FFX gets. They scale to your level, you get just short of infinite overdrives and can get all the ronso overdrives you may have missed out on.

That being said, I still managed to lose the first time, because I didn't know how much Lancet broke that fight in two. :downs:

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Thanks for the answers guys! It's been a couple years since I played X and all I can remember about the fight was having ~1100 health and getting rammed a lot. I've done a little reading and have been using Lancet fairly religiously already, think I have nearly all the rages for where I'm at right now and have made sure he has some decently upgraded weapons and armour. On the plus side, I'd also forgotten the joy that Rikku's Mug + Poison Claw brings fighting Guado Guardians. Smack them then you can pretty much ignore them until anything else is destroyed and they'll probably die too.

Now I know the story from previous plays, I'm putting more than the bare minimum into my team, and to be honest, the 'advanced' grid is actually making it easier: I've only had to massively backtrack a couple of times (it's very easy to make a wrong turn if you're not careful and looking ahead :derp:) but having easy early access to nearby hp/strength etc spheres on other character's supposed paths without straying too far is a great help. Do bear in mind that although there are fewer lock spheres, there are also fewer spheres in general, which means you cant level up as high in the end (I think).

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Terrible outfits is kind of a theme with the artist who drew the characters for XII; Yoshida or whatever? I've never been a fan.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

Terrible outfits is kind of a theme with the artist who drew the characters for XII; Yoshida or whatever? I've never been a fan.
Agrias's outfit kind of redeems everything else he's done. She's one snazzy knight, without being over-designed.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Endorph posted:

Agrias's outfit kind of redeems everything else he's done. She's one snazzy knight, without being over-designed.

It's a perfect complement to Ramza's godawful buttpants and Ashley Riot's, uh, tube top?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Azure_Horizon posted:

It's a perfect complement to Ramza's godawful buttpants

Uh I think the adjective you're looking for is actually magnificent????

But yeah spectacular buttpants aside the dude really can't do clothes.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Azure_Horizon posted:

It's a perfect complement to Ramza's godawful buttpants and Ashley Riot's, uh, tube top?

Ahem, that's a corset thank you very much :colbert:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Defiance Industries posted:

There is only two things that are acceptable to change when you hack FFVI, and they are:

1. The Beginner's Hall. Do whatever you want there. It's where romhackers put their inside jokes.

2. Setzer's line about the Empire making him a rich man. It was apparently a mistranslation and it makes no sense.

NO OTHER CHANGES ALLOWED. :colbert:

3. Going right when you first enter Narshe at the start of the game should ALWAYS result in an encounter with the Czar Dragon.

Rygorous
Apr 23, 2008
Corset, chaps and bunny hair combo, which you accept with Ashley Riot because he is the reinforcements.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

chumbler posted:

FF8's cast had fairly reasonable clothing, with the possible exceptions of Zell and Seifer

Got a problem with badass long coats?

Then again, didn't Irvine wear a big coat too?

Anyway, Seifer probably has one of my favorite Nomura designs. A character's design is supposed to help you understand their character without them even having to speak. I think the white knight look is excellent for Seifer.

And speaking of Irvine, how were we discussing creepo characters a few pages back without mentioning him.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 8, 2013

TheWorstAtWords
May 27, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

And speaking of Irvine, how were we discussing creepo characters a few pages back without mentioning him.

Probably because he's the most forgettable character in a game where everyone else is already really forgettable.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

NikkolasKing posted:

Irvine's a little heavyhanded with his flirting but I wouldn't think he's nearly as bad as Edgar. I mean, I guess he and Selphie are sorta, kinda, a thing? (That will inevitably end with Selphie found laughing maniacally in a pool of his blood)

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

When was Edgar overtly creepy? The one thing that seemed off (that I recall) was him asking Relm about her age, which in context was fairly clearly an incredulous reaction to her behavior.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Mazed posted:

When was Edgar overtly creepy? The one thing that seemed off (that I recall) was him asking Relm about her age, which in context was fairly clearly an incredulous reaction to her behavior.

I believe a translation closer to the original was used in the GBA version, which goes something like:
Relm: What's wrong, lover-boy?
Edgar: ...How old are you?
Relm: Ten... Why?
Relm: Weirdo. I'm going on ahead, okay?
Edgar: Not even a lady yet... Here's hoping you're still around in eight years, kid.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Ugh, that scene was bad enough when his creepiness was only implied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lines can mean more than their most literal interpretation. Edgar's probably being a bit of a creeper, but he's also probably hoping that he doesn't have to watch a ten-year-old girl die during all of this.