Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Tharizdun posted:

what is this i dont even

U/B Mill has 3-1 and 4-0d some daily events on MTGO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
But...but that deck looks horrible and bad! How does that even work?!

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Jenx posted:

You get to play with Actual Ancestral Recall and 5/5 Fliers for 1 mana is how it works! You can even win turn 0 against a combo deck! They fetch, you play Archive Trap into Surgical on their sparse wincons :getin:

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I was wondering when we'd hit a critical mass of "Mill Matters" cards in order to see a "Mill into a Wincon" deck. Is there a more current list of that deck? I could see it dropping the Green requirement for Abrupt Decay.

Edit: Oh, and also for the lifegain on Deathrite. But yeah, I can still see dropping the Green.

Edit 2: vvvvv Wow, that just goes all-in on the mill plan.

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Aug 9, 2013

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Veyrall posted:

I was wondering when we'd hit a critical mass of "Mill Matters" cards in order to see a "Mill into a Wincon" deck. Is there a more current list of that deck? I could see it dropping the Green requirement for Abrupt Decay.

Edit: Oh, and also for the lifegain on Deathrite. But yeah, I can still see dropping the Green.

http://mtgo-stats.com/decks/68915

Here's the most recent deck to cash a DE playing Archive Trap

mfcrocker fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Aug 9, 2013

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Does anyone know if anyone's written a primer for 4c Gifts?

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Sampatrick posted:

Does anyone know if anyone's written a primer for 4c Gifts?

I remember reading one on CF during the PTQ season which influenced how I built mine and it went through different Gifts pile scenarios and matchups. I can't find it anymore since they updated their site and changed how it spits out search results.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mfcrocker posted:

http://mtgo-stats.com/decks/68915

Here's the most recent deck to cash a DE playing Archive Trap

I can never get used to the weirdness of MTGO prices, being used to paper. Hurkyll's Recall is 10$ while Snapcaster Mage is only 6$?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Jenx posted:

First off, don't underestimate Hedron Crab. It's 3 or 6 cards a turn off of things you'd do anyway.

Archive Trap triggers off fetches and your own Ghost Quarters just one resolving means you're 1/3 of the way there, and Glimpse is obvious. Once you get 20 in there, Visions of Beyond becomes Ancestral Recall which helps a lot for keeping up momentum. Abrupt Decay, Remand, and the discard keep you from dying. Snapcaster allows reuse of this entire paragraph.

Jace's Phantasm gives the deck an alternate plan of firing off Archive Trap or Glimpse and just smashing with cheap 5/5's for game. Deathrite Shaman counteracts the graveyard shenanigans milling enables and can provide mana and life reach because he's a loving good card.

It seems pretty clear to me once you realize T0 Archive Trap to T1 Jace's Phantasm is a 4 turn clock out of loving nowhere.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

That also pretty consistently happens, so the deck isn't as much a slave to variance as you'd think. You also sometimes get to live the dream of having 3 Archive Traps in your opening grip and your hapless pod opponent goes fetch->land->noble hierarch.

e: grammar

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Tharizdun posted:

Anyone have any ideas for a deck that is solid vs Jund, still 50% vs the field and doesn't play out of the graveyard?

The only thing I can think of is Affinity.

GR Tron seems to stomp on me regularly unless I can get Karn with a Thoughtseize, once he hits the table the only main deck answer I have is Maelstrom pulse. Post board it's a race to find a Sowing salts. Full disclosure; my Jund deck is not quite finished, I only have 3 Lilianas and run 2 Scavenging Ooze to make up for the fact I don't have the cash the 2 more goyfs I need.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Play more Blood Moon.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

GR Tron is fine, as long as you don't mind getting CRUSHED by combo decks.

edit: VVV clarification yes, the pod matchups can be fine, and you can build a sideboard to beat splinter twin, but every other combo is like welp

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 11, 2013

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Except Melira-Pod...G/R Tron is a terrrrrrrible matchup for Melira-Pod.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

GR Tron is fine, as long as you don't mind getting CRUSHED by combo decks.

edit: VVV clarification yes, the pod matchups can be fine, and you can build a sideboard to beat splinter twin, but every other combo is like welp

There are other combos than those?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

There are other combos than those?
Living End, Scapeshift, Goryo's, Infect. Eggs is still even out there, but only the KCI version. Storm is still out there, but less popular now. It still works with ascension. Genesis wave elves and puresteel paladin combo are out there too, but not in huge numbers. Occasionally bloodcrank, though it isn't that competitive.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 11, 2013

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Filthy Monkey posted:

puresteel paladin combo
what on earth is this?

Is there some stray en-Kor that got timeshifted and somehow Starlit Sanctum got reprinted or what?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Tharizdun posted:

what on earth is this?
http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=472528

Play puresteel paladin. Play assloads of 0 cost equipment (and some mox opals). Draw many cards. Cast retract, play them again, and draw more cards. Grapeshot for win.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Star Man posted:

Play more Blood Moon.

Blood Moon seems like it would bone me just as much with the only thing in the deck costing pure red mana being Lighting Bolt and I only run two basics.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Aug 11, 2013

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
I laugh whenever people play blood moon because it seems to screw them way more than it screws the tron player. G/R Tron in particular has effectively like 8 land tutors and 16 cantrips. They're going to put out more lands and land a wurmcoil.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Play a deck that supports it then :v:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Star Man posted:

Play a deck that supports it then :v:

No. I just spent a ton of money buying lilianas and a tarmogoyf.:negative: Seriously though, I needed the lilis for other stuff and want a play set of goyfs before I start buying up the manabase to play legacy, I just built jund because i have most of the cards. If any goons wanna play feel free to get at me on MTGO @ Fistfullofnikons. I'm usually on after 10pm PST weds to sat, just bear in mind I play at work a lot so sometimes am a bit slow if the phones are busy. I play mostly modern but have a few lovely standard decks if thats your thing and I am always down for some momir.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm just funnin' ya. Blood Moon is my answer to everything in Modern because of how much havoc it can wreck on decks with mana bases that hinge on non-basic lands. I love it.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

8th-snype posted:

No. I just spent a ton of money buying lilianas and a tarmogoyf.:negative: Seriously though, I needed the lilis for other stuff and want a play set of goyfs before I start buying up the manabase to play legacy
Please do not play legacy decks with tarmogoyfs in them. If I have to seat myself across from any more stone faced PTQ grinders running RUG Delver because "it's good" I'm going to kill myself.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Yeah. You should be playing Deathblade instead, because it's better.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

AgentSythe posted:

Please do not play legacy decks with tarmogoyfs in them. If I have to seat myself across from any more stone faced PTQ grinders running RUG Delver because "it's good" I'm going to kill myself.

Canadian Thresh is fun to play.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I saw this interesting Pod deck on MTGO today that had a Spike Feeder and Archangel of Thune combo. Seems like its easier to assemble than the standard Melira combo, but Spike Feeder is unplayable on its own. Is it worth running one of each in a Pod deck just to have another way to win?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Konstantin posted:

I saw this interesting Pod deck on MTGO today that had a Spike Feeder and Archangel of Thune combo. Seems like its easier to assemble than the standard Melira combo, but Spike Feeder is unplayable on its own. Is it worth running one of each in a Pod deck just to have another way to win?
As a general rule, something needs to be even better than the finely-tuned cards in the deck currently. Spike Feeder and Archangel of Thune do not interact profitably with Melira, they aren't "just good" on their own (unlike Kitchen Finks), and they aren't *as* resilient as the existing pieces. A new deck using Spike Feeder and Archangel of Thune might pop up, but it won't be Pod.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Combo and tutor decks like melira pod are a sum of its individual parts and putting in cards require a little more thought than just throwing it in there for extra win-more conditions. Spike Feeder and Archangel of Thune have no real synergy with the rest of the deck and in my opinion are much worse in a vacuum compared to a lot of other options that green and white have.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Speaking of Legacy, was someone planning on making a thread for it? It'd be really nice to have another dedicated format thread.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Combo and tutor decks like melira pod are a sum of its individual parts and putting in cards require a little more thought than just throwing it in there for extra win-more conditions. Spike Feeder and Archangel of Thune have no real synergy with the rest of the deck and in my opinion are much worse in a vacuum compared to a lot of other options that green and white have.

Archangel of Thune's ability triggers on Kitchen Finks and it removes the -1/-1 counter. It's something, I guess.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Speaking of Legacy, was someone planning on making a thread for it? It'd be really nice to have another dedicated format thread.

I can put one together in the next couple of days if there's enough interest. I never see legacy decks in the brewhaus thread is all so I figured people didn't play it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AgentSythe posted:

I can put one together in the next couple of days if there's enough interest. I never see legacy decks in the brewhaus thread is all so I figured people didn't play it.

I know Karnegal and I play it. We complain about the same things w/r/t enchantments even.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I know Karnegal and I play it. We complain about the same things w/r/t enchantments even.

Chewy, Oldsrocket and myself also play it to my understanding.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
I was watching some coverage of a Legacy tournament SCG was running and I found it really interesting almost like it was an entirely different game. It's way to expensive for me to actually get into but if people started a thread I'd definitely read it and be down to play it on cockatrice or whatever.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

AgentSythe posted:

Play MUD. Turn one Ancient Tombs into Chalice of the Void for one and pray they aren't holding force (they are holding force).

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

8th-snype posted:

Play MUD. Turn one Ancient Tombs into Chalice of the Void for one and pray they aren't holding force (they are holding force).

I don't have problems BEATING RUG delver I just don't care for it and similar decks, and find that the pilots of those decks at tournaments tend to be way too serious. Though I met Pikula once and he was a cool dude (crushed me in two games).

It's funny you should mention that though, because my pet deck runs stompy lands and chalices.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
nthing support for Legacy thread.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm looking to get into Legacy, albeit with cheap not-competitive-at-all decks like Burn and Werewolf Stompy, with an eventual eye towards putting together that Zombie/Goblin Bombardment deck. It's probably my next step after I finish the few modern decks I'm working on/picking up staples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I'm looking to get into Legacy, albeit with cheap not-competitive-at-all decks like Burn and Werewolf Stompy, with an eventual eye towards putting together that Zombie/Goblin Bombardment deck. It's probably my next step after I finish the few modern decks I'm working on/picking up staples.

I wouldn't call burn "not competitive". I'm new to legacy but when I play burn online I don't get constantly curbstomped. Do not underestimate the value of drawing out all their counters and then Fireblasting for lethal on turn 5 or 6.

EDIT: Turn zero leyline can suck my dick though.

• Locked thread