Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

theacox posted:

Where is the oddest place you've ever got free cards?

I don't know how it came about but when I was 10 my dentist was retiring and she knew that I liked baseball cards for some reason and she gave me a third year Nolan Ryan card which was the absolute poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviLduke
Jul 5, 2006

cardsharkbreaks.net

theacox posted:

I saw that just now. Congrats! I hope it goes well! Doubt I'll make the drive for your opener, but I may just pop in sometime if I'm in the area.

Thanks! I was thinking of a city near Eau Claire. Hope to see you sometime.

eviLduke fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 10, 2013

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

eviLduke posted:

Thanks! I was thinking of a city near Eau Claire. Hope to see you sometime.

How did it go?

Also Ghumbs, you still working at COMC? I'm assuming they are having a National special right? I know you can't divulge the details, but I was just curious.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

theacox posted:

Also Ghumbs, you still working at COMC? I'm assuming they are having a National special right? I know you can't divulge the details, but I was just curious.

I am still working there :clint:

Edit: I should mention the Hot List special is really good right now. Since we're getting ready to release The Vault next month, we're running a special where you can submit any item with a $20 or higher BV to get $0.50 Hot List One Day processing. Also, all Hot List items now get the 36x resolution scans so, if they are at least $20 BV, they are Vault Eligible. Now would be a good time to send your high end stuff to the site since it's essentially normal One Day processing, which is normally $2, for $0.50.

Ghumbs fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 29, 2013

eviLduke
Jul 5, 2006

cardsharkbreaks.net

theacox posted:

How did it go?

Swell! We did a free CASE break of Limited football! 15 boxes, 11 people. We pulled a Wilson auto/relic, a Terrell Davis auto /10, "J" auto patch of Lamichael James 1/5, a 1/1 base legend card, Trent Richardson auto, Foles auto relic /5 and a Jumbo "12" Andrew Luck patch numbered 12/99 :barf:

I sure hope to see you sometime, we are doing local breaks starting this weekend! All of the information is on Facebook so you can plan a trip, it's called Card Sharks!

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
I'm going to my first National! Will anyone else be there?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

theacox posted:

I'm going to my first National! Will anyone else be there?
I wish they were further south, as I live in FL and it's not really feasible for me to fly up to Baltimore or Ohio or wherever these things usually are.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Is anyone is driving to the show from or through Indianapolis? I'd love to go for a day but I don't really have a way to get up there.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Have the Allen and Ginter cloth minis been worth anything in years past? I hit on a Jeter #/10

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Groucho Marxist posted:

Have the Allen and Ginter cloth minis been worth anything in years past? I hit on a Jeter #/10

#3/10 sold yesterday for $200.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

That's really cool. I'm totally selling this because A) I could care less about owning Jeter stuff and B) I really don't see the appeal of a card thats made out of a fabric that isn't game used or anything like that.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands

Groucho Marxist posted:

That's really cool. I'm totally selling this because A) I could care less about owning Jeter stuff and B) I really don't see the appeal of a card thats made out of a fabric that isn't game used or anything like that.

Manufactured stuff is in a lot of products; sometimes it's autographed. I think the appeal of that card has less to do with it being manufactured and more to do with it being a super short print, and obviously of Jeter.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Also, if you opened a hobby box of Ginter this year, pull apart the lid of the box. Some of them have unannounced 1/1 glossies inside them.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Well, yeah, I understand the value is in so few made. It just holds much value more to me personally unless it's something like a special inscription on an autograph (Millville Meteor card) or a really awesome jersey patch.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

theacox posted:

Also, if you opened a hobby box of Ginter this year, pull apart the lid of the box. Some of them have unannounced 1/1 glossies inside them.

Sounds like a great way of having a bunch of 1/1s end up in a landfill.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

MondayHotDog posted:

Sounds like a great way of having a bunch of 1/1s end up in a landfill.

Funny that these may have never been found out had not BrentAndBecca been cutting boxes up to use as packing material and sliced right through one.

Saw someone already got their hands on the 1/1 Trout over on BlowoutCards forums.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Chief McHeath posted:

Funny that these may have never been found out had not BrentAndBecca been cutting boxes up to use as packing material and sliced right through one.

Saw someone already got their hands on the 1/1 Trout over on BlowoutCards forums.

They found it after finishing their multi-case break. Let me clarify - after their THIRTY-TWO case break. They opened 384 BOXES (or 9,216 packs) of this stuff, which still blows my mind, and found it while cutting up a box lid at the very end. That's a lot of trash to go through...

At around $900 a case, that's a lot of money to make back. They're really cool people, and they do a TON of sales, so it probably won't be an issue, but still - that's a hell of an investment. They also did an 80 CASE break of 2013 Topps series 1 back in February, which was very successful (although extremely time consuming) for them. I got burnt out after opening 2 jumbo cases....

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Yeah, the volume that B&B go through is pretty unreal. I've done four cases of a product before and that alone was terribly time consuming.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
If anyone is trying to fill a Topps mini set and needs help/ has extras, please let me know. I am trying to do the same. username at yahoo works best.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
MLB is auctioning off authenticated beer cans and champagne bottles from the clubhouse celebration of Tim Lincecum's no hitter

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

ElwoodCuse posted:

MLB is auctioning off authenticated beer cans and champagne bottles from the clubhouse celebration of Tim Lincecum's no hitter

Cut em' up and put em' into cards!

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
There's an insane former NBA-er Larry Johnson collector who managed to get a sealed champagne bottle from his wedding. I don't know what he did or paid to get something like that.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
I am definitely getting me a beer can.

e: I hosed up and watched dexter instead of bidding on beercans :(

streetlamp fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 26, 2013

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Anyone have an extra 2013 series 2 Topps set for sale?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Boinks posted:

Anyone have an extra 2013 series 2 Topps set for sale?

I've got one. Email?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
I don't know if this is the best Halloween costume ever or the worst, but I'd laugh like Hell if I saw this guy.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

I don't know if this is the best Halloween costume ever or the worst, but I'd laugh like Hell if I saw this guy.

6/10. not a button-up jersey, no number 7, bat is the wrong color.

eviLduke
Jul 5, 2006

cardsharkbreaks.net
Finally started our business this summer! Group breaks, free shipping for goons! Thanks!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3567602

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

eviLduke posted:

Finally started our business this summer! Group breaks, free shipping for goons! Thanks!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3567602

Couple of suggestions,

Your rules need to be expanded on your website. What if you end up doing hockey and get an international team, or get a retired player card with no team? Does no one get the card? Because it says "Card will be given to team stated on card", Which doesnt work if you get a Team Canada card of Wayne Gretzky. Or just an auto of his. You should say either team last played for, or most games with.

Shipping base cards(not numbered) are an expensive add, and you are better off offering something like "If a team doesnt hit from the break, you will get a card in replacement" and throw them a /100+ card of something. It will also save on shipping/get you some added cash when people buy multiple spots, and you only need to ship to one of the 3 teams they bought. These help a ton when you want to spread your name. I can go onto VaughnTV and choose from 15-30 breaks on any given night, People need a reason to use you.

Do your prices include shipping? You should put that they do or dont. And you should probably put shipping into your costs regardless. Continuing the multiple spot thing, a slight discount works to convince people to buy two/three (i usually would say 2 to start out, 3 once you get a following..

Please dont handle cards with your fingers on the front or back. Sides only. And a little softer touch. Some people get their cards graded, and having your finger prints on them, doesnt help the value.

Link the hell out of your facebook/twitter. Do giveaways on both to get more followers, and people who will join your breaks (this includes a mention of giveaways), as cute as the little logos are, i struggled to notice them, especially not colored.

just some suggestions.

insideoutsider
Aug 31, 2003

You want a van? I get you a van.

Ashekaban posted:

Couple of suggestions,

Your rules need to be expanded on your website. What if you end up doing hockey and get an international team, or get a retired player card with no team? Does no one get the card? Because it says "Card will be given to team stated on card", Which doesnt work if you get a Team Canada card of Wayne Gretzky. Or just an auto of his. You should say either team last played for, or most games with.

Shipping base cards(not numbered) are an expensive add, and you are better off offering something like "If a team doesnt hit from the break, you will get a card in replacement" and throw them a /100+ card of something. It will also save on shipping/get you some added cash when people buy multiple spots, and you only need to ship to one of the 3 teams they bought. These help a ton when you want to spread your name. I can go onto VaughnTV and choose from 15-30 breaks on any given night, People need a reason to use you.

Do your prices include shipping? You should put that they do or dont. And you should probably put shipping into your costs regardless. Continuing the multiple spot thing, a slight discount works to convince people to buy two/three (i usually would say 2 to start out, 3 once you get a following..

Please dont handle cards with your fingers on the front or back. Sides only. And a little softer touch. Some people get their cards graded, and having your finger prints on them, doesnt help the value.

Link the hell out of your facebook/twitter. Do giveaways on both to get more followers, and people who will join your breaks (this includes a mention of giveaways), as cute as the little logos are, i struggled to notice them, especially not colored.

just some suggestions.

Thank you for the suggestions! We appreciate all of them.

Right now we do local breaks based on what the local customers like. The store is located in west central Wisconsin so football is EASILY the #1 product and works well for group breaks, especially as we're starting out. The only person that buys hockey is me (at cost :D). I do like your suggestions for when we break products that feature players that don't have teams, international players, etc.

We give away a ton of stuff and try to have weekly giveaways in store and on our Facebook page. Twitter is a different beast, and we've given away stuff to followers there as well. What "cute little logos" are you referring to?

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

insideoutsider posted:

Thank you for the suggestions! We appreciate all of them.

Right now we do local breaks based on what the local customers like. The store is located in west central Wisconsin so football is EASILY the #1 product and works well for group breaks, especially as we're starting out. The only person that buys hockey is me (at cost :D). I do like your suggestions for when we break products that feature players that don't have teams, international players, etc.

We give away a ton of stuff and try to have weekly giveaways in store and on our Facebook page. Twitter is a different beast, and we've given away stuff to followers there as well. What "cute little logos" are you referring to?

The facebook/twitter/email ones on the bottom right of the pages on your site. They are just uncolored, and didnt really pop out as a "Hey! this is where we are". Even some of the colors in them would go a long way, and i'd even put them at the top of the pages, with your address as well.

im glad you are doing giveaways, even putting in a giveaway in a break of some value is a big pull as well to fill the spots.

I'll also throw this up as well, as its a wonderful read for a breaker.

http://sportscardradio.com/news/1573-random-thoughts-on-group-breaking

insideoutsider
Aug 31, 2003

You want a van? I get you a van.
Thank you for the link, it was indeed a great read!

eviLduke
Jul 5, 2006

cardsharkbreaks.net
Ashkeban,

THANK YOU for the suggestions and taking the time to write them and give a poo poo about what we're doing, I will start incorporating some immediately!

That Sports Card Radio article was tough to read! As in, you always have to be aware of the shady happenings behind EVERY business. It gets disheartening when it happens in everything, all the way down to sports cards. I work (main job) in a heavily integrity related field. I actually interrogate people who are being dishonest/stealing. It's always sad to hear people are lovely, but we're talking about cards here and that sucks.

Anyway, we are not looking at turning this into the next mojobreaks because I am obviously not a website developer. Even if we do get popular, I will cease it at some point. I am not going to turn this into doing breaks and breaks and breaks daily. I would prefer to have a few loyal buyers, in exchange, the best prices...period. In store, I match dave and adam's pricing! I don't have any intentions of retiring off of this. This was a way for my buddy insideoutsider and I to have fun and enjoy everything we have been blessed with. Not everything is about collecting dead presidents. I actually try my best NOT to sound pushy when selling slots. I just want to inform people of what we're doing. This forums has been very good to my buddy and I with information and entertainment (or selling on the Mart when we needed to!) for years now and we want goons as customers.

I hope to gain your business by showing you exactly who we are and what we stand for. We are not in it for money, we like cards. Poor business plan...we don't care. Our goal is to break even so we can continue. The margin on this stuff is horrendous anyway! We hope to share our love of cards and sports with you in the FAIREST and most FUN way possible!

Thanks again for the great suggestions!

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

eviLduke posted:

Ashkeban,

THANK YOU for the suggestions and taking the time to write them and give a poo poo about what we're doing, I will start incorporating some immediately!

That Sports Card Radio article was tough to read! As in, you always have to be aware of the shady happenings behind EVERY business. It gets disheartening when it happens in everything, all the way down to sports cards. I work (main job) in a heavily integrity related field. I actually interrogate people who are being dishonest/stealing. It's always sad to hear people are lovely, but we're talking about cards here and that sucks.

Anyway, we are not looking at turning this into the next mojobreaks because I am obviously not a website developer. Even if we do get popular, I will cease it at some point. I am not going to turn this into doing breaks and breaks and breaks daily. I would prefer to have a few loyal buyers, in exchange, the best prices...period. In store, I match dave and adam's pricing! I don't have any intentions of retiring off of this. This was a way for my buddy insideoutsider and I to have fun and enjoy everything we have been blessed with. Not everything is about collecting dead presidents. I actually try my best NOT to sound pushy when selling slots. I just want to inform people of what we're doing. This forums has been very good to my buddy and I with information and entertainment (or selling on the Mart when we needed to!) for years now and we want goons as customers.

I hope to gain your business by showing you exactly who we are and what we stand for. We are not in it for money, we like cards. Poor business plan...we don't care. Our goal is to break even so we can continue. The margin on this stuff is horrendous anyway! We hope to share our love of cards and sports with you in the FAIREST and most FUN way possible!

Thanks again for the great suggestions!

I've been following this, and Ashe is a good dude. I can vouch for him from the hockey card thread. I do some baseball, but waaaaaaay more hockey. I hope to do business with you guys in the future. Good luck, everything you say, and the way you say it sounds awesome, and I wish you guys all the best!

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

So I have like 50-100 random inserts that could fetch a buck or two but it sure is tedious to list and ship them on ebay for not much return. Are cards like this viable to send off to COMC? I just don't want to pay .25 cents a card for only a few to sell.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

streetlamp posted:

So I have like 50-100 random inserts that could fetch a buck or two but it sure is tedious to list and ship them on ebay for not much return. Are cards like this viable to send off to COMC? I just don't want to pay .25 cents a card for only a few to sell.

What are they? Generally speaking, that's the price that sells the best on COMC.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

2009-present auto/relic/parallels, all topps

Since my last post I have actually put a few bucks on COMC and learned a lot more about how it works and will be definitely putting together a shipment for at least the first timer credit but probably more.

e: Also anyone recognize this series? A friend sent me some pics of a box he has and I assume its 80s/90s junk but I cant seem to find it.

streetlamp fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 9, 2013

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

streetlamp posted:

2009-present auto/relic/parallels, all topps

Since my last post I have actually put a few bucks on COMC and learned a lot more about how it works and will be definitely putting together a shipment for at least the first timer credit but probably more.

e: Also anyone recognize this series? A friend sent me some pics of a box he has and I assume its 80s/90s junk but I cant seem to find it.

1988 Topps Stickers (or O-Pee-Chee).

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

cheers, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I know some of you are in the know about getting autographs done personally through the mail, is there any chance Whitey Ford is on that generous-guy list? And would any of you know the best way to work on a cheap collection of Whitey Ford/Mickey Mantle cards? Ebay is hell and full of fakes and I don't want anything rare, just some more old pictures for my desk basically. Right now I've just got a handful of cards I collected as a kid and put into storage, my favorite being a Topps 150 '67 Mantle.

• Locked thread