Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Project1 posted:

I want a game with that adaptive AI that responds to your skill level (if you get better, it gets better, if you get worse, it gets worse). Of course, there's a few games that have it, but I've never heard of a game that has it and it actually works properly. Not too fussed about genre.

I'm not sure if it counts as proper AI, but Warning Forever is a shmup/top down shooter where the opponents evolve procedurally based on your actions (New movement patterns, weapons and increasingly elaborate structures).

Regarding if it works properly: If you are observant, it eventually becomes possible to trick the game into developing strings of crappy bosses. Took me quite a while to figure that out, though.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

SiN Emergence has an adaptive difficulty system which works pretty well. It works well enough that you don't actually notice it working, if that makes sense. It's not a super amazing game but it's worth a play if it goes on sale.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I don't really know how to put what I'm looking for into words.

Something for PC like Ocarina of Time or Super Mario World, in the sense that there's lots to explore and secrets to uncover, also really makes you work for new weapons/abilities. Preferably not first person. Running a console game via emulator is fine.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Project1 posted:

I want a game with that adaptive AI that responds to your skill level (if you get better, it gets better, if you get worse, it gets worse). Of course, there's a few games that have it, but I've never heard of a game that has it and it actually works properly. Not too fussed about genre.

This is really simplified and potentially not quite what you're talking about but there's a little bit of something like this in God Hand. If you know what that game is, you probably know that it has a scaling difficulty system where as you get hit more enemies get easier, as you dodge more and kill more enemies they get harder. That's mainly just by making the enemies do more damage, move faster, become resistant to certain moves, act more punishing when you don't do a guard break at the right time, etcetera. Not AI changes. However, there are certain enemies, like a certain miniboss, who always move at the same speed an do the same damage, but get more moves as a way of getting more difficult, which in turn makes them less predictable and more versatile. So on a low difficulty, you may be ducking all of his attacks, but then you level up from all of those dodges and all of the sudden he's sweep kicking you.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tea Bone posted:

I don't really know how to put what I'm looking for into words.

Something for PC like Ocarina of Time or Super Mario World, in the sense that there's lots to explore and secrets to uncover, also really makes you work for new weapons/abilities. Preferably not first person. Running a console game via emulator is fine.

For a zelda like game check out Darksiders and Darksiders II.

Also try A Valley Without Wind and its sequel by Arcen Games. These are huge procedural platformers with a strategic overlay and lots of cool gameplay mechanics.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
I'd like recommendations for games where the protagonist has some sort of mental illness or other issues with perceiving reality accurately. I don't really mean games like American McGee's Alice or Silent Hill; the protagonists in those games are definitely crazy, but their perceptions of the hosed-up realities of the games are accurate. I mean more like this autism simulator, or Andrew Plotkin's Shade (a text adventure game); stuff with an "unreliable narrator."

I don't care about the genre, or even if it's a good game really, I just want to see the world through the eyes of a crazy or hallucinating person :toot:

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Ashenai posted:

I don't care about the genre, or even if it's a good game really, I just want to see the world through the eyes of a crazy or hallucinating person :toot:

Kentucky Route Zero has some bizarreness to it that might fit.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Ashenai posted:

Admittedly, this is a stretch, but have you played BioShock 2? Bit of a "The Shining" setting under water, and you play as a pretty hosed up character.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ashenai posted:

I'd like recommendations for games where the protagonist has some sort of mental illness or other issues with perceiving reality accurately. I don't really mean games like American McGee's Alice or Silent Hill; the protagonists in those games are definitely crazy, but their perceptions of the hosed-up realities of the games are accurate. I mean more like this autism simulator, or Andrew Plotkin's Shade (a text adventure game); stuff with an "unreliable narrator."

Give Second Sight a look. It's a great third-person action game with psychic powers and shooting, as well as a really good story to it. There's a Let's Play in the lparchive of it if you want to get an idea of what the game's like.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Ashenai posted:

I've heard the new Call of Juarez: Gunslinger game handles the whole "unreliable narrator" mechanic in some pretty cool and interesting way. Maybe check that out.

massecurr
Dec 15, 2012
Anyone know any games that do psychological and/or Lovecraftian horror well? Preferably for PC if possible.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

massecurr posted:

Anyone know any games that do psychological and/or Lovecraftian horror well? Preferably for PC if possible.

People have been saying good things about Magrunner.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

massecurr posted:

Check out Vic Davis' new game The Occult Chronicles. Kind of a rogue-like, RPG with a tarot card fighting mechanic. It's pretty hard, and uses an original IP rather than Lovecraft stories, but has lots of great lovecraft-esque story beats.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Ashenai posted:

OH poo poo

You want a game where you are hallucinating?
You want Penumbra: Black Plague. Admittedly, it's not the 'unreliable narrator' so much as 'brain disease is actively loving with you'. Some excellent moments and really well done sequences and gently caress yous.

Penumbra Overture is the first game in the 'series', but BP stands on its own and gives a strong recap that playing Overture isn't required. (Skip Requiem)

Genres: First person puzzle/stealth

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Aug 8, 2013

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Ashenai posted:

See if you can play Kane & Lynch co-op, and play as Lynch.

Also: Spec-Ops. Go play it.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

massecurr posted:

Amnesia: The dark descent is all the rave I hear.

Laughing_Stock
Jun 19, 2008

Ashenai posted:

Maybe Braid? Although honestly although the story was nice it felt a little grafted on to the gameplay.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Ashenai posted:

stuff with an "unreliable narrator."

n-thing Amnesia. Second game is the weakest, but still pretty good overall. Final Fantasy VII, if you don't mind the jRPGness and dated graphics. It's available on Steam.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Ashenai posted:

Play Vampire: Bloodlines as a Malkavian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGhQy45kkHE

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I've never played Far Cry. Should I buy 2 or 3?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

tuyop posted:

I think 3's probably easier to get into, but you can play either one; they're not related story-wise or anything, so you don't need to worry about that.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Just play 3. 3 is the best one of the series anyways and far more accessible than 2.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

I'll go a step further and suggest you just play Blood Dragon. It has all the good stuff from 3, just compacted so it doesn't wear out its welcome.

InsomniacTurtle
Aug 8, 2013

tuyop posted:

I think it depends on what you're looking for, the second game had better multiplayer IMO, my friends and I would download stupid maps and just play on that for hours at a time but the third Far Cry has better singleplayer and is a lot easier to pick up and play. Far Cry 2's singleplayer was still drat fine, but had a few odd quirks to it like the malaria system. Both are good games.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

InsomniacTurtle posted:

I think it depends on what you're looking for, the second game had better multiplayer IMO, my friends and I would download stupid maps and just play on that for hours at a time but the third Far Cry has better singleplayer and is a lot easier to pick up and play. Far Cry 2's singleplayer was still drat fine, but had a few odd quirks to it like the malaria system. Both are good games.

I was kind of interested in the malaria system. And I was reading that the AI is way better in 2, much more tenacious, which is kind of what I like. It's also 9.99 used at my local EB so I think I'll get that first.

InsomniacTurtle
Aug 8, 2013

tuyop posted:

I was kind of interested in the malaria system. And I was reading that the AI is way better in 2, much more tenacious, which is kind of what I like. It's also 9.99 used at my local EB so I think I'll get that first.

Yeah for 9.99 it is definitely worth a grab. The malaria system is interesting sure, but it does get a bit annoying after a while.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

I wouldn't say the malaria system is interesting at all. Every once in a while you get "dizzy" and have to press a button to take meds. For story reasons, sometimes you will run out of meds and be forced to go do a mission for the civilian faction to get new meds.

Far Cry 2 is fun to good to play in bursts, if you go on for too long in a single sitting the game gets tedious (same types of missions, lots of driving). On the plus side, setting things on fire is fun for the whole family.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Far Cry 1 (original PC version, not any of the weird remakes/semi-sequels with superpowers or whatever the gently caress) is still the best :colbert:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I went back a few pages to find this thread (or threads about these specific games to no avail, so here's hoping it counts:

Starforge Alpha is currently :10bux: on Steam, and I've seen enough gifs of Surgeon Simulator 2013 to make me consider buying one of these with some spare scratch I have.

Does anyone have any opinions on either game? I vaguely remember playing a version of Starforge a while ago and it seemed pretty limited.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I just bought an old gamecube from a friend so I thought I'd get some recommendations for it. I've picked up some of the more well-known titles, Pikmin, Wind Waker, and Killer 7. Any classics I'm missing? Or maybe some lesser-known gems? Thanks in advance!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Chibi-Robo, Eternal Darkness and (if you like JRPGs) Tales of Symphonia and Skies of Arcadia.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

I went back a few pages to find this thread (or threads about these specific games to no avail, so here's hoping it counts:

Starforge Alpha is currently :10bux: on Steam, and I've seen enough gifs of Surgeon Simulator 2013 to make me consider buying one of these with some spare scratch I have.

Does anyone have any opinions on either game? I vaguely remember playing a version of Starforge a while ago and it seemed pretty limited.

Do not buy Starforge. I picked it up for 10 dollars during the summer sale and I deeply regret giving them money for what I got, even as an alpha.

It markets itself as an open world sandbox where you gather resources, build "anything you want", and survive on an alien planet. I love anything with resource collection so I bought in, but right now, the resources are cubes that fall from the sky and randomly scatter across the landscape, and you run up and latch on then drag them back to your forge to increment your resource counter. It's pretty awful.

The interface is terrible, nothing is intuitive (I had to google how to use my forge. You just open the build menu while near it, but then I had to figure out how to open the build menu...), the mouse controls are floaty and annoying to use (it's almost nostalgic for the days of the very first 3D engines) which makes actually building things a chore, and your list of things you can build is extremely limited at the moment.

"Surviving on an alien planet" is just a lovely version of Sanctum, where they give you a big tank to defend and a wave counter ticks along as you kill aliens who beeline to it and try to smash it. You have to scramble around dragging resource crates to your forge in order to build defenses to stop them from getting to the tank. The landscape was just a flat desert so there wasn't even any interesting features to try to maze them through - just your forge and whatever walls you build.

They might make the terraforming into something interesting one day, but I can't even recommend it as doing anything interesting or unique right now - everything it does is done better by Minecraft and Sanctum and probably other games which have ripped those off.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Chibi-Robo, Eternal Darkness and (if you like JRPGs) Tales of Symphonia and Skies of Arcadia.

Eternal Darkness! I've heard it come up in a few ZP reviews and always meant to check it out. Haven't played a J-RPG in a good while, I think it's about time to change that. Chibi-robo looks like it's right up my street, thanks a lot for the speedy and excellent recommendations!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

I just bought an old gamecube from a friend so I thought I'd get some recommendations for it. I've picked up some of the more well-known titles, Pikmin, Wind Waker, and Killer 7. Any classics I'm missing? Or maybe some lesser-known gems? Thanks in advance!

Beyond Good & Evil has a Gamecube version, if you haven't played that.

Ikaruga is a pretty cool shoot-em-up.

Gladius is a fun strategy/sim game about, well, gladiatorial combat.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Tagra posted:

Do not buy Starforge.

Hmm, let's see what non-goons are saying about it...

OP of most popular nonsticky thread on steam forum frontpage posted:

Will the devs show the "nay-sayers" that they are all wrong for all their ranting that this game will suck!

I can't wait for that time when this game is good enough to play and have fun with, so that I could lift my head up high and stick my tongue out to all the not-so-nice peeps both who

(1) did pre-order and lost patience and became sarcastic and those who

(2) didn't pre-order and say that those that did are fools.

Thats, uh, great praise isn't it? Looks like a winner to me!

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Choice-supportive bias is a funny thing, isn't it!

You either pay 10 (or 20...) dollars for it and decide it will be great one day and justify the purchase, or you become bitter and curmudgeonly and post angry things whenever anyone mentions it. I'm the latter :colbert:

Towns went from "Where's the game?" to something kind of unique and cool, so perhaps one day I will reinstall Starforge :sigh:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The general rule with any game in early access is to ask around. Some are near-complete games with room for expansion, some are barely past being engine tech-demos. That doesn't make them bad, it just makes them a lot further from being finished. If you think it's a cool concept and want to support it, feel free to put some money down on it, but just remember that nobody owes you anything from that point. You paid for an unfinished game and you got one.

It's well worth telling people the development situation on such games, just don't be that bitter curmudgeon that goes into an angry rant every time it's mentioned. Nobody likes that guy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EmmyOk posted:

Lost Kingdoms 2
is a pretty good JRPG. The original's a middling average game (nothing outright bad, but nothing very good either), but the sequel's pretty drat good fun, and stand-alone (it's set some 200-odd years after the first).

Soul Calibur 2 is worth getting on the Gamecube just to play as Link.

Super Mario Sunshine should've been on your list from the start :colbert:.

Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door is a classic, though you'll probably pay through the nose to get a copy.

Super Smash Bros. Melee

Metroid Prime 1&2:Echoes because they belong in everyone's gamecube collection.

Robotech Battlecry a really good game based on the Macross Saga of Robotech. It's also on PS2 and xbox.

Luigi's Mansion is not a long game, but quite good fun.

Rogue Squadron 2 if you like Star Wars, or flight games, get this. RS3's also on the Gamecube, but it has some ground-based missions and isn't as good overall.

Pikmin 2 if you enjoy the original, get the sequel. It removes the time limit, and adds a whole bunch of new things.

Also just as a side-note; if you go looking for copies of Skies of Arcadia, you want to search for Skies of Arcadia Legends for the Gamecube version (just to cut down on search results for the Dreamcast version).

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Lost Kingdoms 2
is a pretty good JRPG. The original's a middling average game (nothing outright bad, but nothing very good either), but the sequel's pretty drat good fun, and stand-alone (it's set some 200-odd years after the first).

Soul Calibur 2 is worth getting on the Gamecube just to play as Link.

Super Mario Sunshine should've been on your list from the start :colbert:.

Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door is a classic, though you'll probably pay through the nose to get a copy.

Super Smash Bros. Melee

Metroid Prime 1&2:Echoes because they belong in everyone's gamecube collection.

Robotech Battlecry a really good game based on the Macross Saga of Robotech. It's also on PS2 and xbox.

Luigi's Mansion is not a long game, but quite good fun.

Rogue Squadron 2 if you like Star Wars, or flight games, get this. RS3's also on the Gamecube, but it has some ground-based missions and isn't as good overall.

Pikmin 2 if you enjoy the original, get the sequel. It removes the time limit, and adds a whole bunch of new things.

Also just as a side-note; if you go looking for copies of Skies of Arcadia, you want to search for Skies of Arcadia Legends for the Gamecube version (just to cut down on search results for the Dreamcast version).

That's quite a comprehensive list! A few I've heard of and always wanted to play but forgot till now, and some I've never heard of but sound quite great. Thanks a lot for taking the time to post this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean is my pick for best GC RPG. It has a really interesting, involved CCG-type battle system with each party member having their own customizable deck—plus the game itself is really pretty and has some creative dungeon design.

Don't get Baten Kaitos: Origins, though—it's awful.