Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

How about you paste it in to PowerPoint as a table instead of an image? It will make it easier for other people to update to update slides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

It used to be the case that pasting excel tables in PPT would be awful and mess everything up. But apparently it solves my problems if I paste a table using "Keep Source Formatting" (Alt-h-v-k) which shows up under Paste Options and not the Paste Special menu. New PPT appears to be a lot better at dealing with Excel->PPT table pasting, so that's what I'm going with.

Thanks.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Is there a way to convert a date value, such as 31-Aug, into the day of the week ("Saturday")? The only way I can think of to do it is to create a lookup table with the named day for each date value, then use the DAY function and a lookup function to convert each date value into the day of the week. That seems way too complicated for something so simple, but Excel's date formats don't seem to include a day name format.

edit--Google's my friend; I'm a dumbass.

Ron Don Volante fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 12, 2013

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I have a worksheet that has a formula:
=AND(VALUE($E$1)-VALUE(A4)>0,VALUE($E$1)-VALUE(A4)<=7)

$E$1 is todays date and column a is a vertical list of dates so I'm trying to find a particular date in that list that is 7 or less days ago but not today and apply conditional formatting to it. Problem is I have to do this for someone with a Mac and he's not seeing the formatting even though I can. I'm guessing it has something to do with the 1462 day difference in the two programs date systems (Mac uses a 1904, Windows 1900) but adding +1462 didn't seem to help.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!

wikipe tama posted:

$E$1 is todays date and column a is a vertical list of dates so I'm trying to find a particular date in that list that is 7 or less days ago but not today and apply conditional formatting to it. Problem is I have to do this for someone with a Mac and he's not seeing the formatting even though I can. I'm guessing it has something to do with the 1462 day difference in the two programs date systems (Mac uses a 1904, Windows 1900) but adding +1462 didn't seem to help.

Not sure what is going wrong for you, but you can just apply 2 of the pre-built formats - highlight days within last 7, then format Today back to default.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

wikipe tama posted:

Zerodot has a better solution, but try replacing VALUE() with DATEVALUE().

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Huh it looks like datevalue did the trick

Pegged Lamb fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 13, 2013

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Is there an easy way to make Excel calculate and display ratios?

For example if A1 = 8, and A2 = 24, I want A3 to show 1:3. But I can't find any easy way to do this (or do it at all, for that matter...).

Suggestions?

EDIT: \/ Success! Thanks guys.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 14, 2013

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

melon cat posted:

For example if A1 = 8, and A2 = 24, I want A3 to show 1:3. But I can't find any easy way to do this (or do it at all, for that matter...).

Suggestions?

=SUBSTITUTE((TEXT(A1/B1,"?/?")),"/",":")

It takes the value and turns it into a fraction, then removes the / and puts in a :. Rusty as gently caress in Excel I need to frequent this thread more.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

melon cat posted:

Suggestions?

You can calculate the ratio manually, and manipulate the text so that it shows up in that format. Essentially:

=A1/GCD(A1, A2) & ":" & A2/GCD(A1, A2)

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus
The issue with both of those is that your result is text, not a number. However, Excel will gladly parse it to a number if you use it as one...but it won't be what you expect: 3*"1:3" is 0.13125, not 1.

There is a number format that displays numbers as fractions ('#" "?/?' and similar, it's built-in), which will make arithmetic work correctly (well, it will display the fraction approximation up to the specified size, but use the exact number in computations). But I'm not aware of any way to make it work with ":" instead of "/".

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."
You could use Range.Value = Replace(Range.text, "/", ":") but then you'd lose the ability to do math with the values since they would have to be converted to text.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

ShimaTetsuo posted:

The issue with both of those is that your result is text, not a number. However, Excel will gladly parse it to a number if you use it as one...but it won't be what you expect: 3*"1:3" is 0.13125, not 1.

There is a number format that displays numbers as fractions ('#" "?/?' and similar, it's built-in), which will make arithmetic work correctly (well, it will display the fraction approximation up to the specified size, but use the exact number in computations). But I'm not aware of any way to make it work with ":" instead of "/".

I haven't tested it out, but how about '#" "?:?' as a custom number format?

EDIT: It doesn't work in Excel 2007.

Old James fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 16, 2013

fnkels
Aug 17, 2004
This has got to be the stupidest question I've ever asked, but I can't think of a better way to word it to Google the answer.

When creating a scatter plot of a large array of data, the plot always appears at the bottom of the array in Excel. For example, a 2 x 1500 array of data that I turn into a scatter plot, the plot appears around row 1500 (bottom of the array). To bring the plot to the top I have to click and drag the plot to the top. This is a slow and tedious process. How can I get the plot to the top of the spreadsheet quickly or am I just retarded with creating charts in Excel?

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
You can cut and paste charts, it will paste so that the upper left hand corner starts in the upper left hand corner of the cell you have selected.

fnkels
Aug 17, 2004

ZerodotJander posted:

You can cut and paste charts, it will paste so that the upper left hand corner starts in the upper left hand corner of the cell you have selected.

I am a moron. Thanks!

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."

Old James posted:

I haven't tested it out, but how about '#" "?:?' as a custom number format?

EDIT: It doesn't work in Excel 2007.
Basically, the thing to do in cases like this is store the data on another worksheet or in hidden cells. Do math with the hidden data, and render it as text.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Is it possible for an Excel VBA macro to interact with an external program, in this case a web browser? I have a macro that generates the javascript code, in Excel, for filling out a web form. I'd like for Excel to send that code directly to the browser and execute it.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

gandlethorpe posted:

I'd like for Excel to send that code directly to the browser and execute it.
What could possibly go wrong?

I just ripped this off some forum, haven't tested it because this is a terrible idea

code:
' ZVI:2011-05-30 VBA Macro For Already Open IE Window
' Reference required: Tools - References - Microsoft Internet Controls
Sub GetIE()

Dim shellWins As ShellWindows
  Dim IE As InternetExplorer

Set shellWins = New ShellWindows

If shellWins.Count > 0 Then
    ' Get IE
    Set IE = shellWins.Item(0)
  Else
    ' Create IE
    Set IE = New InternetExplorer
    IE.Visible = True
  End If

IE.Navigate "http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q176792/"

Set shellWins = Nothing
  Set IE = Nothing

End Sub

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Can I ask what the danger is?

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
I have zero experience with Excel, but my company has given me the task to update an Excel file that calculates how much money each department has blown using our copyshop. For the most part it works fine, but as when the costs get too high (above a thousand Euros), Excel seems to freak out.

e: solved it, the width of the table wasn't big enough. :v:

Grawl fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 29, 2013

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I've run into an annoying issue with a spreadsheet I created a while back:

When I set up this spreadsheet, I made all of the cells below row #121 hidden (Ctrl + Shift + down arrow > Right click > Hide). But I've run out of space on this spreadsheet, and I want to unhide the cell Iv'e hidden from view. But when I right click > unhide, my hidden cells won't re-appear. And any new rows I add won't appear, either.

How do I fix this?

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
The UI isn't very intuitive but what you need to do is click on the heading for the bottom row (the 121) and drag down, as if there were more rows available to select there. It'll give you the little tooltip that's like "1 million rows selected" and then you can unhide.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

ZerodotJander posted:

The UI isn't very intuitive but what you need to do is click on the heading for the bottom row (the 121) and drag down, as if there were more rows available to select there. It'll give you the little tooltip that's like "1 million rows selected" and then you can unhide.
Yep. That did the trick. Thanks for the help!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm using Excel 2010. Imported data from a text file, one of the columns is date and time listed as MM/DD/HHZ (as in Zulu time). I need to convert it to a recognized format for chart reasons. So for example, 08/13/15Z -> 08/13 15:00. Is there a way to do that?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Fucknag posted:

I'm using Excel 2010. Imported data from a text file, one of the columns is date and time listed as MM/DD/HHZ (as in Zulu time). I need to convert it to a recognized format for chart reasons. So for example, 08/13/15Z -> 08/13 15:00. Is there a way to do that?

Assuming that everything is going to be in MM/DD/HHZ format, and that the year is always going to be 2013, you could use the following (assuming your imported text value is in A1):

=DATE(2013,MID(A1,1,2),MID(A1,4,2)) + TIME(MID(A1,7,2),0,0)

This will convert it to Excel's numeric date/time notation, which you can then format as you please, use in charts, etc.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

docbeard posted:

Assuming that everything is going to be in MM/DD/HHZ format, and that the year is always going to be 2013, you could use the following (assuming your imported text value is in A1):

=DATE(2013,MID(A1,1,2),MID(A1,4,2)) + TIME(MID(A1,7,2),0,0)

This will convert it to Excel's numeric date/time notation, which you can then format as you please, use in charts, etc.

Looks like that did the trick, thanks!

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

Fucknag posted:

In VBA, this is

code:
Selection.Value = Selection.Value

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

I'm having a bit of a problem with VBA and date formatting and I cannot get the drat thing to work.

I'm pulling a date from a different piece of software in the format ddmmyy. So 1st March 2013 would be "010313". It comes as a string. I need it to be assigned to a cell in "dd-mm-yy" format.

Currently I'm splitting the input into "dd" "mm" "yy" and combining them DateSerial. However, no matter what I try to do VBA\Excel keep getting confused between England and American date formatting.

If the day of the date is <=12 it swaps it around so 1st of march would become 03/01/13 instead of 01/03/13.

This is more than just a display error however as it then, on later calculations assumes the date is in English formatting.

So, assume all dates are 1st March 2013.

Going in 01/03/13 (1st March 2013)
Passing to Cell 03/01/2013 (Americanised into 1st March 2013)
Used in later calculations 03/01/2013 (Sheet now thinks it is 3rd Jan 2013)

code:

'sDate has been tried as string and Date
'sInputYear etc are passed as "dd", "mm", "yy"

sDate = DateSerial(sInputYear, sInputMonth, sInputDay)

'Then

Worksheets("Worksheet").Range(sRange).Value = Format(sDate, "dd-mm-yyyy")

'Have tried with and without the formatting
Any ideas?

Checking in the locals window sDate does appear to be stored correctly, so the 1st of March would be stored as "#01/03/13#" it doesn't, however, pass this through correctly to the worksheet.

Also gently caress dates, gently caress dates forever.

Cast_No_Shadow fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Sep 16, 2013

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Also gently caress dates, gently caress dates forever.

How are you getting the inputs? Datepart() or Left()/Mid()/Right()? If the first, you are leaving it up to Excel to assume which part is month and day, so try the second.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

I initially tried slicing the string as mentioned which didn't work. Latest try I've just pulled the two digit inputs separately rather than as a "ddmmyy" 6 digit string, which again doesn't seem to work.

Surely there is a way to actually get VBA to recognise that I want to explicitly define this number as the day and this number as the month. I'm telling you exactly how it is, stop making retarded guesses.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
I just tried it and its returning the correct behaviour. Maybe try WorksheetFunction.Text() instead?

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Both of these are working for me using Excel2013

code:
Function StringToDateFunc(Value As Range) As Date
    Dim M As Integer
    Dim D As Integer
    Dim Y As Integer

M = Mid(Value, 3, 2)
    D = Left(Value, 2)
    Y = Right(Value, 2)
    StringToDateFunc = DateSerial(Y, M, D)
End Function

Sub StringToDateSub()
    Dim M As Integer
    Dim D As Integer
    Dim Y As Integer

M = Mid(ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1).Value, 3, 2)
    D = Left(ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1).Value, 2)
    Y = Right(ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1).Value, 2)

ActiveCell.Value = DateSerial(Y, M, D)
    ActiveCell.NumberFormat = "dd-mm-yyyy"
    ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
End Sub
Edit: Yes, my input cells are in text format to force Excel to display the leading 0 on days 1-9.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Had a fiddle with your suggestions and still cannot get this to work. I also think I haven't explained myself properly.

I have a choice of inputs. All as string.

Either

"010313" (ddmmyy)

Or

A trio of

"01" (dd)
"03" (mm)
"13" (yy)

Which I'm pulling from a spaghetti mess of a Cobol system from the 70's.

I need to turn this into a date variable both VBA and excel understand. Yet nothing I try appears to work.

What should happen.

1) I take said input, format it into a date that VBA & excel understand.
2) Input this value into a cell.

What does happen.

1) I take said input, format it into a date. VBA seems to know what I mean.
2) I go to put this value into a cell. It is currently formatted dd-mm-yy.
3) When put into the cell it converts it to mm-dd-yy.
4) When later referencing this cell it thinks it is formatted dd-mm-yy but keeps the values as if it were mm-dd-yy.

I'll see if I can isolate it and pop up an example book. 2010 version if this matters. I generally know what I'm doing, so I feel stupidly retarded over this.

A1 should show 01/03/13 and understand this is dd/mm/yy.

Cast_No_Shadow fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 16, 2013

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

What should happen.

1) I take said input, format it into a date that VBA & excel understand.
2) Input this value into a cell.

What does happen.

1) I take said input, format it into a date. VBA seems to know what I mean.
2) I go to put this value into a cell. It is currently formatted dd-mm-yy.
3) When put into the cell it converts it to mm-dd-yy.
4) When later referencing this cell it thinks it is formatted dd-mm-yy but keeps the values as if it were mm-dd-yy.

I'll see if I can isolate it and pop up an example book. 2010 version if this matters. I generally know what I'm doing, so I feel stupidly retarded over this.

Can we see the code you are using at step 4, when the cell is later referenced? Perhaps that code is what is messing up and not the initial conversion.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Old James posted:

Can we see the code you are using at step 4, when the cell is later referenced? Perhaps that code is what is messing up and not the initial conversion.

Popped an example up without any of the later stuff, same problem happening.

I'm probably doing something really dumb.

[Edit] Uploading that sheet seems to be all hosed. Basically

code:
Public Sub example()

Dim sDay As String, sMonth As String, sYear As String

sDay = "01"
sMonth = "03"
sYear = "85"

sDate = Format(DateSerial(sYear, sMonth, sYear), "DD-MM-YY")

Worksheets("sheet1").Range("A1").Value = sDate
End Sub

Cast_No_Shadow fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 16, 2013

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Popped an example up without any of the later stuff, same problem happening.

I'm probably doing something really dumb.

This is the only code I found in that example

code:
'Entry point for RibbonX button click
Sub ShowATPDialog(control As IRibbonControl)
    Application.Run ("fDialog")
End Sub

'Callback for RibbonX button label
Sub GetATPLabel(control As IRibbonControl, ByRef label)
    label = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("RES").Range("A10").Value
End Sub
The macro assigned to the button looks like it is referencing an external file which I don't have, FUNCRES.XLAM

Could you just post the code here or somewhere else? I don't like running xlsms I didn't code myself.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Sorry about that; I've popped the code above.

A1 needs to show dd-mm-yy. Cannot seem to stop it getting confused.

Cast_No_Shadow fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 16, 2013

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

This looks to be the problem

sDate = Format(DateSerial(sYear, sMonth, sYear), "DD-MM-YY")

change it to

sDate = Format(DateSerial(sYear, sMonth, sDay), "DD-MM-YY")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus
This is not a VBA problem, it's an Excel problem. It automatically parses everything you put in a cell, which is often wrong. You cannot control this parsing from VBA. You may be able to prevent it from parsing incorrectly by writing it as an explicit date number or a string starting with a single quote (won't parse at all).