Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

magimix posted:

Speaking of the Mako, I had my first major glitch out on the PC version, and it is one I never saw on 360. Got into a fight on a UNC (Xawin, specifically), and overloaded a dude who was right by the Mako. This detail may be irrelevant, but I do know that when I got back into the Mako, it rocketed into the air, and began to swoop and soar like the Normandy itself. While spewing sparks and getting increasingly heavily damaged :stare:

Why doesn't it surprise me that you of all people can make the Mako do stuff on your fist PC playthrough that I haven't managed to pull off in, I dunno, 10 :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Burning Mustache posted:

Why doesn't it surprise me that you of all people can make the Mako do stuff on your fist PC playthrough that I haven't managed to pull off in, I dunno, 10 :v:

Just getting my hand in early, you know. Its part of why I'm playing an Adept who'll also have Liara in the party at all times[1]; maximum physics! If I can make any cinematics freak out as well, that'll be a bonus.

[1] To the extent that, opposite to my usual approach, I actually left the Citadel as quickly as was possible to head to Therum, returning thereafter do the 'Citadel circuit'.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
Well, going all-Adept is pretty fun for physics shenanigans, although I didn't think it would be much different on PC than on 360 (at least until now).
ME3 is also pretty good at breaking cutscenes to begin with, so you might be lucky there!

Other than that I gotta say I never really managed to gently caress up cutscenes that much in the series on PC, but I'll admit I've never actively tried to do so either :I

E: Also, I presume you enjoyed the Krogan on Therum then? :v:

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Burning Mustache posted:

Well, going all-Adept is pretty fun for physics shenanigans, although I didn't think it would be much different on PC than on 360 (at least until now).
ME3 is also pretty good at breaking cutscenes to begin with, so you might be lucky there!

Other than that I gotta say I never really managed to gently caress up cutscenes that much in the series on PC, but I'll admit I've never actively tried to do so either :I

E: Also, I presume you enjoyed the Krogan on Therum then? :v:

Lets be honest, I'm familiar enough with ME1 that the final fight on Therum was no great shakes, even when being not far off the lowest level it is possible to reach that fight at. Adept, plus Tali and Ashley. First attack saw the Krogan be thrown, while the rocket trooper got hacked, and Ashley got ready to tank. This was followed up in an attack that saw the Krogan get Warped and Damped as we all focused fire, while the hacked Geth disrupted the back ranks. Ashley copped the close-quarters aggro, and was eventually taken down, but the Korgan died at the same time, and there was just a trooper and a sniper to mop up thereafter. I had chemical rounds, which also helped counter Krogan regen.

Not quite military precision, but it got the job done :haw:

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

magimix posted:

Lets be honest, I'm familiar enough with ME1 that the final fight on Therum was no great shakes, even when being not far off the lowest level it is possible to reach that fight at.

I expected nothing less :colbert:

Plus, you now get to do the combat on the glorious gaming master races' input devices :shepface:

Still, I'd never actually play ME1 on Insanity anymore, and that fight in particular is a good part of the reasons for that, although I assume neither do you.
As much as people like to complain about ME1's combat mechanics, I don't really mind them that much whenever I start a new playthrough, but Insanity in that game is just a chore (unlike in ME2 and ME3 where it makes the game a lot more challenging but still fun).

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

I ran into that ME1 Mako damage glitch once on my last playthrough, it was early on though, on Therum. Absolutely no idea what caused it, was just cruising along and hit a bump, started flying and damage started spiking.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Burning Mustache posted:

I expected nothing less :colbert:

Plus, you now get to do the combat on the glorious gaming master races' input devices :shepface:

Still, I'd never actually play ME1 on Insanity anymore, and that fight in particular is a good part of the reasons for that, although I assume neither do you.
As much as people like to complain about ME1's combat mechanics, I don't really mind them that much whenever I start a new playthrough, but Insanity in that game is just a chore (unlike in ME2 and ME3 where it makes the game a lot more challenging but still fun).

I will miss using the 360 controller, 100% of the time. :colbert: It'll just be one of those things I have to put up with[1]. As for ME1 Insanity - in full agreement with you. I only did a single ME1 Insanity run, back in the day, and it was flat-out a chore until I passed L20. Trying to fight the mercs on Xawin for Garoth's side-mission at L12 was loving nuts. It was literally impossible for me to kill even a single enemy before getting zerg-rushed and killed ("Enemies everywhere!" :cry:). I thought I was going to have to give up, but then realised I had a single Polonium-round mod, and that was enough - just - to tip the balance. Ergo, I could kill *one* enemy before getting zerged rushed. But at least then I could flee the building, wait for all my cooldowns, and head back in and have all the suriving enemies reset location.

Yeah, really was just grinding out the achievement for that one! Afterwards I stuck with Hardcore until ME2 came out, and then I wasn't really able to tolerate ME1's combat jank having seen what they did in ME2. In ME2 and ME3 Insanity is flat-out the coolest way to play, if you have any interest at all in the mechanics. ME1 not so much.

[1] Yes, JoyToKey is a thing, but in my experience is never as good as native support. For example, it wouldn't make the Mako control like it down on 360.

magimix fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 13, 2013

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
You're not a real Mass Effect veteran until you survive an Insanity ME1 run with an Engineer from level 1. :colbert:

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Zoran posted:

You're not a real Mass Effect veteran until you survive an Insanity ME1 run with an Engineer from level 1. :colbert:

...or have done at least one weaponless Insanity run in ME2 :colbert: (*More* than one gives you bonus points!)

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
I screwed up! I was trying to be a renegade badass with Emily Wong, and I told her I wouldn't give her the disc. She said she would never bother me again, and now she's gone. I'm slowly realizing that the renegade isn't so much a jerk that shuts people down; the renegade is closer to being an extortionist.

I even had to replay because I told Conrad Verner to get out of my face the first time around. I just want to mess with him!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I think Conrad does come back even if you shoot him down. If you want him to survive, you've gotta consistently take the same morality choice each of the three times you meet him.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Yeah, it's really hard to do pure Renegade runs, since it goes just beyond being a dick into eating puppies and smothering babies territory.

edit: at least in 1, 2 has some R2 interrupts I always take even if I'm Paragon-ing it up and 3 doesn't give a poo poo.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SubponticatePoster posted:

Yeah, it's really hard to do pure Renegade runs, since it goes just beyond being a dick into eating puppies and smothering babies territory.

edit: at least in 1, 2 has some R2 interrupts I always take even if I'm Paragon-ing it up and 3 doesn't give a poo poo.

I honestly tend to just cheat myself bonus Renegade points when I'm doing a "Renegade Run" because of how silly it gets sometimes. ME2 and 3 tend to be a little less insane about the Renegade being Darkside 2.0

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Are there renegade interrupts in ME1? All I remember from the first game is MAKO excursions.

...so many mountains.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
No, they added interrupts in ME2. 1 is all about that sweet sweet conversation wheel.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I would just like to raise the no-doubt well-tread opinion that it is ri-god-damned-diculous that none of the ME3 DLC has gone on sale besides Omega, aka the crap one that nobody likes.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was because the main game's price dropped so sharply after the ending fiasco.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Far as I remember, Mass Effect 2's DLC didn't really go on sale for a long time either.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Captain Oblivious posted:

I honestly tend to just cheat myself bonus Renegade points when I'm doing a "Renegade Run" because of how silly it gets sometimes. ME2 and 3 tend to be a little less insane about the Renegade being Darkside 2.0
Which is great if you're playing on PC, those of us on console don't have that option :shepicide:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Which is great if you're playing on PC, those of us on console don't have that option :shepicide:

(Coincidentally, I never played this game as a Renegade while I only had it on consoles either)

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

That's what Lorik Qui'in is for.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Dan Didio posted:

Far as I remember, Mass Effect 2's DLC didn't really go on sale for a long time either.

Two sales that I remember, and Google got me the exact dates:
December 28 2010 - 200 msp per DLC which owned (guess when I bought it all), might've been a one day thing? Part of an Xbox promo event, I think. The second was a regular sale, 50% off, July 26-Aug 1 2011.

So they did one sale about 11 months after launch and one 18 months after launch.

Mass Effect 3 launched 17 months ago.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

magimix posted:

...or have done at least one weaponless Insanity run in ME2 :colbert: (*More* than one gives you bonus points!)

Not that difficult. :colbert:

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

lenoon posted:

Not that difficult. :colbert:

You see, that is just mean :smith:
Edit: Joshing aside, I definitely recall *upgradeless* Insanity being the tougher proposition, in many ways. The squishiest Adept, with longer cooldowns, and a less capable shore-party.

For those of you who own Mass Effect 1 via Origin (just in case the distinction is relevant), a question... A few times during my run, I've had a in-game notification of an achievement popping. When going to what looks like the place that your profile achievements are described in the Origin client, I see nothing listed. What gives?

magimix fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 13, 2013

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

magimix posted:

For those of you who own Mass Effect 1 via Origin (just in case the distinction is relevant), a question... A few times during my run, I've had a in-game notification of an achievement popping. When going to what looks like the place that your profile achievements are described in the Origin client, I see nothing listed. What gives?
I guess they didn't bother changing this for the Origin version. Achievements for the PC version are saved locally.
To view your achievements: Boot the game and in the main menu go into options.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 13, 2013

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Raygereio posted:

I guess they didn't bother changing this for the Origin version. Achievements for the PC version are saved locally.
To view your achievements: Boot the game and in the main menu go into options.

Cool - sounds like there is nothing ontoward happening then. Its less, "Want my 'cheevos :argh:", and more that I don't want to miss out on the sweet bonuses you get from many of ME1's achievements. Of course, those bonuses are probably all trivially easy to 'hack' in, but whatever. It is the princple of the matter :colbert:

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

magimix posted:

You see, that is just mean :smith:
Edit: Joshing aside, I definitely recall *upgradeless* Insanity being the tougher proposition, in many ways. The squishiest Adept, with longer cooldowns, and a less capable shore-party.

Yeah I agree with that - its entirely possible to create weaponless classes in 2 and 3 and play insanity with ease (though some missions on 2 become an exercise in frustration/ultragamerability), as long as you're careful about upgrading and you know the missions.

I've done adept and sentinel in two, adept, sent, engineer and vanguard in three. Apparently, seeing as the pc version allows you to make custom classes, it seems possible to do it with every single character (full melee infiltrator shep, anyone?)

Without level upgrades is something I tried once in 2 - all I can say is gently caress horizon, that quickly became impossible - and got most of the way through three with, though it does become very boring. However, you can do it in three if you give Garrus his level upgrades and the prothean beam rifle very very easily.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

magimix posted:

Cool - sounds like there is nothing ontoward happening then. Its less, "Want my 'cheevos :argh:", and more that I don't want to miss out on the sweet bonuses you get from many of ME1's achievements. Of course, those bonuses are probably all trivially easy to 'hack' in, but whatever. It is the princple of the matter :colbert:
The PC version has a few ways how you could add the achievements, yeah. I remember using a Java-based achievement editor to "restore" my progress when I continued on PC after getting an RRoD on Ilos during my 2nd Xbox playthrough. Achievements can also be added via console commands I think.

But you're going to play it a hundred times anyway so that's probably not useful to you :haw:

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

lenoon posted:

Yeah I agree with that - its entirely possible to create weaponless classes in 2 and 3 and play insanity with ease (though some missions on 2 become an exercise in frustration/ultragamerability), as long as you're careful about upgrading and you know the missions.

I've done adept and sentinel in two, adept, sent, engineer and vanguard in three. Apparently, seeing as the pc version allows you to make custom classes, it seems possible to do it with every single character (full melee infiltrator shep, anyone?)

Without level upgrades is something I tried once in 2 - all I can say is gently caress horizon, that quickly became impossible - and got most of the way through three with, though it does become very boring. However, you can do it in three if you give Garrus his level upgrades and the prothean beam rifle very very easily.

Yeah, as I recall, much of the time spent in upgradeless runs can be characterised as 'hunkering down, waiting for regen/cooldowns'. Engineer was slightly easier than Adept by virtue of the Drone. Weaponless is fun because it really encourages you to play the active talents to the hilt, and leveraging the upgrades keeps timers quick, and you can relentlessly press the advantage, and be mobile. Upgradeless was often more a test of patience than aything. At least in ME2. Never tried it in ME3.

I'm surprised you haven't done the weaponless Engineer in ME2! If you should give it a go sometime. You'd chew the game up and spit out the pieces, but it'd be tremendously fun all the way through.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
I'm really struggling with long cool down rates as an adept in ME1. Now, I could be just spoiled by recently playing a high level adept in ME3, and I haven't done Feros, Noveria, or Liara's mission yet, so i know it is early on. But a 45 second cool down for throw is just insane to me. Biotic powers feel more like ultra special but weak moves and less like one of the things I can use or rely upon routinely in a firefight.

Does it get down to 3 seconds or less in the later levels, or were shortened cool downs a purposeful change in the sequels? I thought cool downs for BASIC biotic powers in me3 were 10 seconds at the most.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Kameh posted:

Does it get down to 3 seconds or less in the later levels, or were shortened cool downs a purposeful change in the sequels? I thought cool downs for BASIC biotic powers in me3 were 10 seconds at the most.

It does get shorter but I don't think it gets that short until you've maxed your class and the power on skill points (mid to late game). Keep in mind though that in ME1 there's no universal cooldown and you can spam all your powers so I think that was the trade off when they transferred to the universal cooldown in ME2.

Edit: Double checked the wiki and Throw at max rank will have a recharge speed of 40 seconds. The class skill at rank 6 will decrease it an additional 14%. So the rest of the recharge speed will depend on how good a biotic amp you have.

Unclouded fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 13, 2013

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Kameh posted:

I'm really struggling with long cool down rates as an adept in ME1. Now, I could be just spoiled by recently playing a high level adept in ME3, and I haven't done Feros, Noveria, or Liara's mission yet, so i know it is early on. But a 45 second cool down for throw is just insane to me. Biotic powers feel more like ultra special but weak moves and less like one of the things I can use or rely upon routinely in a firefight.
An important thing to remember is that there's no shared cooldown in ME1. So while you're waiting for your throw to recharge, you can create a singularity or lift things into space.

The adept's skilltree can reduce the cooldown with 14%. With another 14% if you pick the Bastion specialization. And Biotic Amps and various armour upgrades have cooldown reduction bonuses as well. You won't be able to get it down as far as 3 seconds, but you can easily go from 40 seconds down to 15.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 13, 2013

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Unclouded posted:

It does get shorter but I don't think it gets that short until you've maxed your class and the power on skill points (mid to late game). Keep in mind though that in ME1 there's no universal cooldown and you can spam all your powers so I think that was the trade off when they transferred to the universal cooldown in ME2.

I'm not sure they even get that short. However short you can get them in ME1, they will still be much longer that the equivalent cooldown in ME2, for a similar degree of level and upgrades. That said, still a vast improvement in the base cooldowns, to be sure.
It always seemed that base cooldowns in ME2 where roughly a tenth of the corresponding base-cooldown in ME1.

Edit: For my part, I always preferred how the cooldowns worked in ME2 over ME1. The universal cooldown was never an issue in ME2 due to the expanded support for, and focus on, combined talents. That isn't to say I thought it was perfect of course, and they continued to do interesting things with cooldowns in ME3.

magimix fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 13, 2013

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
If anyone's keeping score, the fastest possible cooldown for Throw in ME1 is on a Bastion Adept or Sentinel with a Savant X amp and dual Medical Exoskeletons X.

40.00 seconds base cooldown
*0.72 Bastion
*0.60 Savant X
*0.77 Medical Exoskeleton X
*0.77 Medical Exoskeleton X
*0.90 Sentinel Ally achievement
*0.95 75% Paragon bonus
  8.76 seconds

In ME1 all reduction bonuses (such as for cooldowns and damage reduction, and I think accuracy works this way as well) are applied multiplicatively and all increasing bonuses (such as for damage or duration) are applied additively. Basically, the system is designed to screw the player with diminishing returns wherever possible. The only exceptions are the damage and duration bonuses from Spectre Training, which are multiplicative.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 13, 2013

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I very much prefer the unique cooldowns to the universal cooldown stunt they pulled in ME2/3. The newer design makes some combat really boring because there's always one optimal ability to spend your cooldown on.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

orcane posted:

I very much prefer the unique cooldowns to the universal cooldown stunt they pulled in ME2/3. The newer design makes some combat really boring because there's always one optimal ability to spend your cooldown on.

What-CHARGENOVA-ever do-CHARGENOVA you me-CHARGENOVA-an?

Seriously, though, I love Vanguards, just for their capability to go head to head with a banshee or whatnot and win on their own with properly-timed combat rolls and shotgun blasts from a Wraith.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

You can use gibbed's save editor to do it on the Xbox 360 version of ME2 & 3. Playstation owners are out of luck though, and as far as I know there's nothing out there for ME1 that works on any console.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I could see being surprised by the adept in ME1 if you're used to ME3 and making GBS threads out constant biotic explosions. ME1 adepts would have to do quite a bit of shooting because ME1 biotics were still more of a tool to disable opponents and supplement your guns rather than outright killing, although there were cases where you could send krogans into space or Shialas down bottomless pits. Early game adept can be rough because your powers are weak but by mid to end game once you've leveled them up you're a powerhouse. Your telekinetic powers will eventually be strong enough to ragdoll even a Geth Colossus and shields are no protection against them.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

orcane posted:

This really isn't any more boring than ME1's optimal strategy of getting cooldowns low enough to constantly go through your power cycle over and over again without having to wait for a break.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

You can use gibbed's save editor to do it on the Xbox 360 version of ME2 & 3. Playstation owners are out of luck though, and as far as I know there's nothing out there for ME1 that works on any console.

Yeah but ME1 is fine because you just have to put a bunch of points into charm or intimidate and you're golden for any super persuasion bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

ME1 has, as was mentioned, Lorik Qui'in. Who needs to cheat paragon/renegade when the game builds it in for you?

Whenever the non-Omega DLC goes on sale and/or I just give up and buy it, I most definitely plan on using Gibbed's editor to avoid planet scanning in ME2 because noooo.

• Locked thread