Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Warmal posted:

For some reason, the more I watch this, and the more I think about it. I wonder if we'll ever get a really good Tony Hawk game again. I remember enjoying American Wasteland, but now I think that may just have been from being a dumb kid. THUG was great, and I really enjoy the Pro Skater series, but from what I can tell we haven't had a good one for a long time.

I dunno, I actually thought THAW was actually a little better than THUG2. Not as good as THUG1 by a long shot, mind you, but it felt like Neversoft still had their head in the game. I only later played a little bit of project 8, and it just seemed totally phoned in by that point. THAW on the other hand just felt rushed out the door, while still having good ideas and intentions visible. The fully open world mostly works, and a lot of the level design is fun, and the straight-out-of-the-80s "youths saving their hangout from greedy bankers" plot (appropriate considering how much else in the game seems to be a tribute to old school 80's skate culture) actually works in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I may need to find a way to get back to that game then. See for myself if it would hold up. I did play project 8 and remember really not liking it. After that I saw that Tony Hawk games weren't going well and got into the Skate series and enjoyed it a lot more.

Sartorius
Dec 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Choco1980 posted:

I dunno, I actually thought THAW was actually a little better than THUG2. Not as good as THUG1 by a long shot, mind you, but it felt like Neversoft still had their head in the game. I only later played a little bit of project 8, and it just seemed totally phoned in by that point. THAW on the other hand just felt rushed out the door, while still having good ideas and intentions visible. The fully open world mostly works, and a lot of the level design is fun, and the straight-out-of-the-80s "youths saving their hangout from greedy bankers" plot (appropriate considering how much else in the game seems to be a tribute to old school 80's skate culture) actually works in my opinion.

What a shame. I recently bought THPS 4 through THAW to relive my childhood. I was mostly excited to get to THAW since I remember liking that most (and comments like above made me want to play more), but THAW was the only disk too scratched to work :negative:. That's what I get for buying it for $1.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

well I'm not saying it's a "classic" or anything, just that it's not quite as bad as a lot of people like to think. It seems like it had some good ideas it wanted to go with, that got rushed out before they could make it a great game--like for instance a lot of the levels are kind of "too" large, with lots to skate off of, but not as much to actually do. I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure there's less pedestrians in THAW than in say, THPS4, despite having much larger levels. Between the bad will of THUG2, and the feel of THAW being about 80% finished I think made it so that by the time THP8 rolled around, nobody was enthusiastic about the series anymore.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I feel the issue with THUG2 is that it's a bit too gimmicky. There's just so much going on in each level that its hard to just appreciate it. I remember loving THPS and playing the poo poo out of it without even being able to save. Just constantly replaying the game from the start over and over was amazing and it didn't have a story or anything like that.

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

Plllllllaydies :heysexy:
Sorry for the late update, but I started working and Zackcat is almost never online when I'm home. I guess I'll have to figure something out if we can't get a compatible schedule.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Get Zack to pre-record a couple of zinger, catchphrases, one-liners and a story or two then edit it to make it sound like you're talking to him.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~

Croccers posted:

Get Zack to pre-record a couple of zinger, catchphrases, one-liners and a story or two then edit it to make it sound like you're talking to him.

it's so true.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
What am I, chopped liverBob Burnquist?

Vagithug
Dec 27, 2012

by Ralp

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

You're not Zackcat.

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

:siren:Update:siren:

Ep 4: He isn't even sitting in his wheelchair!: Youtube 12M

Oh boy, we have to play on Bams team for this video, luckily that doesn't last long! Again sorry about the late update, hopefully it doesn't happen again, and if I do have a late update I hope it doesn't take 7 months again.

Also :siren:Votting!:siren:

Rodney Mullen
Chad Muska
Mike Vallely

DairunCates
Jan 23, 2013
Yes yes, Zackcat. It's 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo. Come on. Why don't you try referencing something OBSCURE?

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

DairunCates posted:

Yes yes, Zackcat. It's 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo. Come on. Why don't you try referencing something OBSCURE?

because vifs. (also I think I got what you did there)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Eric Sparrow.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Toffile posted:

Eric Sparrow.
Yeah, walked into that one.

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

DairunCates posted:

Ok, who is this?

Edit: Some people have said that I have missed some things, but instead of doing what I did for boston, I will do everything when I go back for classic/arcade mode.

DairunCates
Jan 23, 2013

Vifs posted:

Ok, who is this?

Edit: Some people have said that I have missed some things, but instead of doing what I did for boston, I will do everything when I go back for classic/arcade mode.

Probably one of those 13 ghosts you don't know about, Vifs. That would make the most sense, seeing as only probably 100 people have actually WATCHED that show.

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

DairunCates posted:

Probably one of those 13 ghosts you don't know about, Vifs. That would make the most sense, seeing as only probably 100 people have actually WATCHED that show.

The sad part is, I've watched that show. I was pretty into Scooby Doo as a kid.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Dude 13 Ghosts is the best Scooby series. That poo poo was legit.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I don't actually remember how 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo ended, if it even did. As for voting, I gotta stick with my fellow Michaels so lets go with Mike Vallely

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Vifs posted:

Well, it's tiny, and pointless so I won't even bother with spoiler tags, but if you talk to that Cut Chemist guy (who's apparently a real life guy? ) in the Discotheque he'll crank up the volume, and crack all the glass in the building, making it breakable. Accomplishes nothing. Maybe a gap or two?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
If you're wondering why the graffiti kids were writing toy, it's apparently a term for poo poo art or an artist that's either new and pretty terrible or old and washed-out. For an artist to "toy" is to write over an existing piece (tag over your poo poo).

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

So I was waiting to record till some more votes came in, but that hasn't really happened. So good job Mike Vallely, you won with a land slide.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Zackcat posted:

Dude 13 Ghosts is the best Scooby series. That poo poo was legit.

You misspelled "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo," bro.

Gaiza
Aug 19, 2013

You talk about redefining my identity. I want a guarantee that I can still be myself.
I remember constantly renting this game back in 2004 just engulfed in the craziness and buffoonery that was the Jackass & Viva La Bam craze. Nice job so far with the LP Vifs.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Vifs posted:

Ep 4: He isn't even sitting in his wheelchair!: Youtube 12M

Oh boy, we have to play on Bams team for this video, luckily that doesn't last long! Again sorry about the late update, hopefully it doesn't happen again, and if I do have a late update I hope it doesn't take 7 months again.

Also :siren:Votting!:siren:

Rodney Mullen
Chad Muska
Mike Vallely

You eat the chocolate off of butterfingers and then suck on them? wtf

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

Sweeper posted:

You eat the chocolate off of butterfingers and then suck on them? wtf

Don't judge me on how I eat candy.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Seeing someone in a wheelchair rocketing around with the cast sticking out gives me sympathy pains like you wouldn't believe. This was not a comfortable video to watch.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

vifs pls tag your triggers next time jesus christ, you monster.

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

Ep 5: Wait, Gulls or Goals?: Youtube 12M

So no voting for the next time, because out of the 3 pros, we haven't seen one of them yet.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

This level is based on a real place - Bondi Beach, in Sydney. The art team definitely did their research, because...

Phoneboxes just like that are a real thing!

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

This level really seemed the most real so far. At least in area. Lots of gulls though.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

That beach area is what kept me from truly liking this level. The next one's pretty fun though. The last one's shape can eat a dick.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Warmal posted:

This level really seemed the most real so far. At least in area. Lots of gulls though.

Barcelona is probably the worst level in the game. The rest are actually pretty good.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

This level is based on a real place - Bondi Beach, in Sydney. The art team definitely did their research, because...

Phoneboxes just like that are a real thing!

Ha, I don't think Bondi beach has Butterfinger ads though.
Even the police car and the police officers hat looked vaguely Australian.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I live in Sydney, now for Bondi beach it was extremely unrealistic with its Sea Gulls, they outnumber people about 15 to 1 easily. Also holy poo poo that kid said "From some yobbo around the corner." they actually put some effort into this, I've never heard anyone mention 'yobbo' outside of Australian media.

There was also a store called 'Mumbo' is was clearly a play on a shirt designer we had down here that was extremely popular at the time; Mambo. He did these very surreal art designs and sold them on shirts. They were the fuckin' bomb in 90's and early two thousands.

With the Indigenous dude in the buggy they actually got his paint right, again surprising. I don't get the buggy thing though I've never heard any racist jokes involving Indigenous people in one. v:v:v

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

Wow I'm surprised this was modeled after a real place. I figured they just picked a name of a town and make a map of what they thought it would be like.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Vifs posted:

Wow I'm surprised this was modeled after a real place. I figured they just picked a name of a town and make a map of what they thought it would be like.

They do like to model one or two real maps per game. I think THAW ended up breaking the trend though.

THPS1 had Burnside, 2 had Skate Street and Marseilles, 3 had Skaters Island, 4 had Kona, UG1 had SPoT?

This isn't an exhaustive list, I'm doing g it from memory.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Warmal posted:

yeah, I think the level needed less goals too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
This gull/goal confusion might end up with you in a gaol.

Okay, I know it's not technically pronounced the same, after double checking, but still the visual similarity. And I swear I've heard it pronounced similarly to how it looks.
So what would the gull goal be for those in Gaul? Would anyone try to get the gall bladder?
-
If you really want to know the difference, 'goal' is said more with a 'o' sound, while 'gull' is more of a 'u'. I guess the particular dialect wherever you are combined the two sounds, thus making them sound the same.

Wikipedia has a few articles on similar kinds of merges, not sure if they have the specific one causing gull/goal issue, though.

• Locked thread