Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

How could someone go through FFX without knowing you can hot swap team members? They made it ridiculously obvious during the tutorials that this was a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
Yeah the hot swapping was pretty vital to several battles and it also made FFX's battle system my favorite thus far.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
FF12 did it too, although I'd argue it was slightly better because if you got wiped out it'd ask you to switch to a second party. Made for some interesting strategies (especially if you were playing the Zodiac version where each person has a specific class.)

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
DuckTales Remastered just popped up on the eShop. Purchase made, currently downloading, go GO GO!

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

AlmightyBob posted:

So succesful that Gamestop is now reprinting them, opening them, and selling them as used so they can charge $90 :(
When you say reprinting them... you mean like, creating new copies of the disc? Violating the hell out of Nintendo's copyright?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Spiffster posted:

... How have I played through the game twice and not know of this mechanic!?

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Me neither. Such an important mechanic :v:

They literally force you to do it multiple times in tutorial battles. I don't understand how this is possible.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Chaltab posted:

When you say reprinting them... you mean like, creating new copies of the disc? Violating the hell out of Nintendo's copyright?

Pretty sure he's parroting some bullshit kotaku made up.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Katana Gomai posted:

Pretty sure he's parroting some bullshit kotaku made up.

GameStop stores all over are opening new copies of Xenoblade and selling them as used at a 40 dollar markup. They can do this because they're the only company that sells it in the USA. They have an exclusive deal with NoA to sell the game.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

jonjonaug posted:

GameStop stores all over are opening new copies of Xenoblade and selling them as used at a 40 dollar markup. They can do this because they're the only company that sells it in the USA. They have an exclusive deal with NoA to sell the game.

Nobody is arguing against this, but "reprinting" them sounds like someone making some pretty big assumptions when it's more likely they were just sitting on a stock pile of them.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

katkillad2 posted:

Nobody is arguing against this, but "reprinting" them sounds like someone making some pretty big assumptions when it's more likely they were just sitting on a stock pile of them.

It is (extremely) unlikely to the point of being neigh-on impossible to believe that GameStop is printing more copies of the game themselves without any input from Nintendo.

That said, there's one of two things that are happening:

1. GameStop found a misplaced shipping container full of Xenoblade Chronicles and are now selling them as used ($89.99) instead of MSRP ($49.99) because in that case more (and all!) money will go into their pocket.
2. GameStop asked Nintendo to print more copies for them to sell that they would buy outright at whatever bulk deal they had worked out. Then they start selling them as used ($89.99) instead of MSRP ($49.99) because in that case more (and all!) money will go into their pocket.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I'm surprised THAT many people really want Xenoblade (a wii game too) at this point and don't already own it.

I mean, forget the rest of the problem, who really is itching to buy it at this point?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I'm surprised THAT many people really want Xenoblade (a wii game too) at this point and don't already own it.

I mean, forget the rest of the problem, who really is itching to buy it at this point?
People who have been unable to find the game because of its intentionally low print runs?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

People who have been unable to find the game because of its intentionally low print runs?

My mistake. I didn't know about that.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

zenintrude posted:

2. GameStop asked Nintendo to print more copies for them to sell that they would buy outright at whatever bulk deal they had worked out. Then they start selling them as used ($89.99) instead of MSRP ($49.99) because in that case more (and all!) money will go into their pocket.

Oh man that's pretty dirty if true.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Depends on how far apart and the walls in between and such. You could get 25-30 feet with line of sight and maybe 15 with walls, I would guess.

I've controlled Netflix from about 15ft away from a hallway with neither the console nor the sensor bar in my direct line of sight through the doorway (they were to the right, just outside it), so I can vouch for this. I've also done it from the bathroom (brushing my teeth, you sickos) which is about eight feet with a big ol' wall 100% in the way. For what that's worth.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Don't worry, guys, they're selling it at current market value is all.

[edit] Re: length away from the console, I've played NSMBU in bed from a floor up, but my bed is basically right above where the console is (and it still cuts out every once in a while)

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

To be fair, Gamestop had a huge rare trade-in deal going on. I forgot I even had Xenoblade, until they sent me an email saying I could fund all my future game purchases if I traded in my rare games. They even had a more recent one, where you can bring in any 2 from a list of games and get a new game for 10 bucks no question, or less if they were worth it.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

robodex posted:

Don't worry, guys, they're selling it at current market value is all.

Just another page in the book of GameStop is the Worst

quote:

such as vintage games like Xenoblade Chronicles

What cunts.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

zenintrude posted:

Just another page in the book of GameStop is the Worst

I didn't realize Xenoblade was a "vintage" game already.

e: ^fb

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Their inability to keep track of inventory has resulted in them being able to sell you Xenoblade (and Metroid Prime Trilogy!) at crazy prices! What good guys!

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
This isn't anything new for people who have had to buy the Dragon Quest games for DS but it's nice people are freaking out about it while we just kind of accepted the price abuse when it came to Dragon Quest V.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
So are we going to see Metroid Prime Trilogy show up on whatever sort of Pawn Shop/Bargain Hunters shows they have fourty-five years from now?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Viewtiful Jew posted:

So are we going to see Metroid Prime Trilogy show up on whatever sort of Pawn Shop/Bargain Hunters shows they have fourty-five years from now?

Yes.

(And it won't take 45 years)

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Holy shite I didn't know about prime trilogy being like that. That's just sort of obscene. (I have one though! Too bad I opened it)

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Duck tales trip report: plays fine but is a very lazy Wii U port. Game pad has no added features and is just a clone of the tv + audio. Still fun though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

flyboi posted:

Duck tales trip report: plays fine but is a very lazy Wii U port. Game pad has no added features and is just a clone of the tv + audio. Still fun though.

That %9000 percent better than what they did in The Cave port.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

flyboi posted:

Why is that a bad thing?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

flyboi posted:

You can put the map on the Gamepad screen by pressing X in the pause menu. That said, agreeing that there's nothing wrong with just having Off-TV play.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Rawrbomb posted:

Why is that a bad thing?

It's not bad per-say but I find having the audio & video 1:1 mirrored distracting personally. My tv and gamepad do not synch 1:1 so the audio is like 15ms faster on the gamepad and makes a terrible echo. After playing Pikmin 3 I wish games that offered off-screen play did a similar fashion - just have a small animation on the gamepad with a message "Look at the TV" as well as an indication of a button shortcut to change the game to use the gamepad. Having a mirror of the tv distracts me as I can see the movement in the corner of my vision and it makes me think I need to look at the gamepad. I'm not dogging Ducktales specifically for this, even Nintendo is guilty of this with their VC games but it's something I wish all the developers put some foresight into and would try harder at better utilizing the feature.

Artix posted:

You can put the map on the Gamepad screen by pressing X in the pause menu. That said, agreeing that there's nothing wrong with just having Off-TV play.

Oh interesting I'll have to try that as I was not aware. It's a great game I just don't like the mirroring on the gamepad when I'm playing on a tv. At least it supports the pro controller so I have options if I choose.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

greatn posted:

That %9000 percent better than what they did in The Cave port.

Why, did they just have a black screen on the GamePad, with no option for off-screen play or something?

E: ^^^ You can just turn the volume down on the GamePad of the audio's out of sync.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

That loving Sned posted:

Why, did they just have a black screen on the GamePad, with no option for off-screen play or something?

The Cave let you tap one of your three explorers to jump directly to them. That's it: No Off-TV play, no map, just switching between characters, a task so difficult, you can do it with L or R.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

That loving Sned posted:

E: ^^^ You can just turn the volume down on the GamePad of the audio's out of sync.

Yeah I understand that but it seems dumb to just always play through both mediums unless you enable off-screen play. It's like playing the radio in your room while wearing headphones at the same time it just doesn't make any sense.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Does Nintendo sell a replacement stylus? All I've found are those stupid extender ones. My nephew lost mine and I'm guessing I need one to play the W101 demo?

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

zenintrude posted:

It is (extremely) unlikely to the point of being neigh-on impossible to believe that GameStop is printing more copies of the game themselves without any input from Nintendo.

That said, there's one of two things that are happening:

1. GameStop found a misplaced shipping container full of Xenoblade Chronicles and are now selling them as used ($89.99) instead of MSRP ($49.99) because in that case more (and all!) money will go into their pocket.

Gamestop has been confirmed to do this before with ACTUAL for sure reprinted games like SMT and Fatal Frame.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

mcpringles posted:

Does Nintendo sell a replacement stylus? All I've found are those stupid extender ones. My nephew lost mine and I'm guessing I need one to play the W101 demo?

Sure do! Can buy one here
http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wc...mment=&dropOff=

Sorry for the long url Nintendo's shop is stuck in the 90s

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

mcpringles posted:

You also are going to have a terrible time playing W101 with a stylus. Stick to your finger for drawing, or just use the right thumbstick.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

mcpringles posted:

You don't actually need to touch the screen at all in W101, all the drawing actions can also be done with the right stick.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
Or just cut your nails short and use their edge, that's what I've been doing for 6 years on the ds and it works great.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Does anyone know if you can use the touchscreen in off-tv mode? I really like the feel of drawing out the symbols, and I don't like not being able to use it on the gamepad, as it would be perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

bushisms.txt posted:

Does anyone know if you can use the touchscreen in off-tv mode? I really like the feel of drawing out the symbols, and I don't like not being able to use it on the gamepad, as it would be perfect.

I tried drawing while doing offscreen but it didn't seem to work. Maybe I missed an option somewhere.

• Locked thread