Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

So there I am, welcoming new folks into my Mii Plaza, happily getting puzzle pieces off of them when suddenly my screen goes green and then my DS tells me my data is corrupt and is deleting it.

I then only have five or so complete puzzles, all the others are gone.

gently caress this poo poo, I am done doing the loving puzzle crap. I've never had issues with corrupt data until Nintendo released that goddamn new Mii Plaza. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

ZeeBoi posted:

Mii Plaza Corruption

ZeeBoi, you have my condolences. I've lost data before and it sucks the big one. It happened to me through no fault of my own and it can happen to anyone :(

Seriously though, call Nintendo. They are an amazing company. If you don't mind mailing your 3DS away, they can probably give you a bunch of completed puzzles and stuff. They've gone out of their way to help people when weird stuff like this has happened before. It wouldn't hurt to try!

Call Customer Service and see about mailing your 3DS to a repair center. You might get your data back :)

edit: vvvvvvv Very glad your data came back! :toot:

Spectacle Rock fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 14, 2013

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Well, I tried turning my 3DS off and on again and all my puzzles are back. Whew...

But now I get to live with the fear of it happening again. :|

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kurtofan posted:

About the Picrosses games, I've never played the original Mario's Picross game on gameboy, is it a good place to start? I've never did Picrosses before (I just learned what a Picross is :v:)

Mario Picross is actually a fantastic introduction to Picross, I got it on a whim when it came out on the eShop and it resulted in me developing a full-blown Picross addiction (couldn't play Picross 3D though, my spatial reasoning is crap).

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Mario and Luigi: Has anyone else experienced the game soft-locking at some point? The game locked up on me in the second giant fight and it took quite a bit of fiddling to figure out how to force a power-off on the 3DS. Thankfully the second time through it worked without any problems and I didn't lose any progress, but it's a little worrisome.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

RyokoTK posted:

Mario and Luigi: Has anyone else experienced the game soft-locking at some point? The game locked up on me in the second giant fight and it took quite a bit of fiddling to figure out how to force a power-off on the 3DS. Thankfully the second time through it worked without any problems and I didn't lose any progress, but it's a little worrisome.

A guy at work was telling me he had the game soft lock on him coming out of a pipe somewhere in the early game and cost him a decent chunk of playtime. I've been saving more often, maybe there'll be a patch if its kinda widespread?

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ZeeBoi posted:

So there I am, welcoming new folks into my Mii Plaza, happily getting puzzle pieces off of them when suddenly my screen goes green and then my DS tells me my data is corrupt and is deleting it.

I then only have five or so complete puzzles, all the others are gone.

gently caress this poo poo, I am done doing the loving puzzle crap. I've never had issues with corrupt data until Nintendo released that goddamn new Mii Plaza. :mad:

Scary that it just flat out says its starting to delete your data, I would of ripped out the battery the moment I saw that. Glad everything turned out ok.

Also it's a 3DS not a DS. You don't call a SNES a NES. (I know you said 3DS in your next post, just giving you poo poo)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bought New Super Mario Bros 2 and Luigi's Mansion the other day. I don't know if it's because the game vomits lives at you or because I 100%ed NSMB Wii not that long ago, but I cleared about 95% of NSMB2 in about a day. I've got some coins left, but I've cleared the game, the secret world, and found every stage. I kinda feel like I got ripped off, somehow.

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon is a huge improvement on the original a lot of ways, including being not nearly as short. There are a few things I miss from the original, even though I wasn't impressed by it at the time, such as Luigi's fear level varying with how clear a room was, even affecting his calling out for Mario. But overall this one is a lot more fun, and sectioning the game into missions takes out a bunch of backtracking and makes treasure hunting more manageable. I wish they'd added more gameplay mechanics as the game went along, because they gave me all my tools very early on and the difficulty didn't really ramp up much as the game progressed. A few more ghost-hunting gadgets or upgrades woulda been neat.

Overall I liked Luigi's Mansion quite a bit, but I feel like NSMB2 was a waste of time and money.

I'm gonna buy Mario and Luigi: Dream Team soon. It's the year of Luigi, baby!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I missed a couple combat challenges in the first castle in Mario and Luigi, because enemies didn't seem to respawn. Will they? I'm also afraid it will be impossible to get the dodge challenge, because my speed and power are so high I'll one shot anything.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Enemies do respawn, but I don't know what triggers it. You just might have to wait a while for them to respawn. But if you keep going, you should encounter more of them later. As for getting the dodge challenges, while you can't waste turns with Fleeing and then cancelling anymore, you get an item later on that forces the enemies to get a few turns just so you can dodge them.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Prorat posted:

Scary that it just flat out says its starting to delete your data, I would of ripped out the battery the moment I saw that. Glad everything turned out ok.

Also it's a 3DS not a DS. You don't call a SNES a NES. (I know you said 3DS in your next post, just giving you poo poo)

Go gently caress yourself you pedantic prick. ;)

And yes, it was scary. All I "lost" was the last visitor's puzzle piece.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I am not believing how some of these street pass relays in downtown Chicago have no Mii's at them by now... yet the random Starbucks I visited in the northern suburbs does.

Thing is it did take me a good minute of being within the Nintendo Zone to get the street pass. I'm assuming the relay stations are not acting quick enough to get the people walking by normally?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Lurdiak posted:

Bought New Super Mario Bros 2 and Luigi's Mansion the other day. I don't know if it's because the game vomits lives at you or because I 100%ed NSMB Wii not that long ago, but I cleared about 95% of NSMB2 in about a day. I've got some coins left, but I've cleared the game, the secret world, and found every stage. I kinda feel like I got ripped off, somehow.

Come back when you've 100%ed star road.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Dumb post never mind.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Alright, so NSMB and NSMB2 aren't worth the time of day- I need a good 2D action-platformer.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Prorat posted:

Everyone just said play Nintendo

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Monkey Fracas posted:

Alright, so NSMB and NSMB2 aren't worth the time of day- I need a good 2D action-platformer.

If you didn't play the original version, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D is pretty awesome. Rayman Origins is available for the system, too, but I hear that it's a pretty terrible port and pretty much any other version is preferable if you have the option.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

njsykora posted:

Come back when you've 100%ed star road.

Is that the secret world with Dry Bowser? Because I got 3 moon coins on all stages but two on my first run through it. I'll probably go back and get the rest of the star coins and moon coins eventually, but after 100%ing NSMB Wii only got me a limp "congrats" pop up box, I'm really not in much of a hurry.

I mean, it wasn't a bad game, but just like every New Super Mario Bros game, it was a very shallow experience (with awful sound design).

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

Detective No. 27 posted:

Newegg has Freakyforms Deluxe for $5 and free shipping.

At that price, RUN out an buy it.

It is actually great.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doug Dinsdale posted:

At that price, RUN out an buy it.

It is actually great.

Too late now, it's sold out. Looks like a lot of people had the same idea.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

PerrineClostermann posted:

Too late now, it's sold out. Looks like a lot of people had the same idea.

Oh, that's too bad.
Still, even at the full fare of twenty bucks (12 in Japan since it's only on download), one can get a ton of mileage out of Freakyforms.
The first one, priced at 7 bucks or so, I put nearly 300 hours into it.
FFDX, which I only bought this spring (Japan got it last), has so far eaten around sixty hours of my time, even though I have tons of other great games going entirely neglected (FE, 999, Virtue, Pikmin 3... The list keeps growing).

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Behonkiss posted:

If you didn't play the original version, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D is pretty awesome. Rayman Origins is available for the system, too, but I hear that it's a pretty terrible port and pretty much any other version is preferable if you have the option.

Bleh, well hell I already played and 100%-ed that on the Wii when it came out (great game, though). Why has Nintendo not put out an honest-to-goodness 2D Mario platformer that doesn't seem like some weaksauce spinoff in loving ages?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Lurdiak posted:

I mean, it wasn't a bad game, but just like every New Super Mario Bros game, it was a very shallow experience (with awful sound design).

The big draw for me was the Coin Rush mode, especially the DLC for the high difficulty stages. This only really applies if you enjoy speedrunning/score attack games, though, and it seems like that's what the game was really meant for. In theory, streetpassing with the game gives you an incentive to beat the scores of people you passed. In reality, everybody you streetpass is terrible and you will beat everybody's score with no effort. I feel sorry for those people that attempted to beat my scores.

But yeah, of the four NSMB games, I'd say it's ahead of the first, but behind the two console games. I wasn't going to buy it as early as I did, but Coin Rush mode and harder DLC stages convinced me otherwise. Hard for me to recommended it to anybody.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Genpei Turtle posted:

Side question--are all the Rune Factory games really wonky when it comes to balance? My first experience with that series is Rune Factory 4 and while it's enjoyable enough, the way certain things work seems really weird. Like for example, just through normal play, my levels shoot through the stratosphere way higher than the "recommended" levels for the areas I'm hitting. Despite that, even though I'm crafting the best stuff I can and nothing can really kill me, it seems like it still takes a million hits to kill anything. And other characters are nigh-useless because unless they're literally always with you, their levels will be so much lower than yours that they can't even scratch enemies, even when you kit them out with nice equipment.

It's a fun enough game but the way it's balanced just seems to be really off the wall.

If you are at least semi-competent at dungeon crawlers, you will always be ahead of the curve in Rune Factory dungeons. They tend to make it pretty simple so the people who aren't so adept at that type of game can still enjoy the whole package. In some titles like Frontier they throw in some hard dungeons at the very end, but in most of the titles the only things that can really hold you back are seasonal and/or crop locks. It sounds like you're not using the right elements on some enemies, but RF4 hasn't come out here yet and I did not import it, so I can't speak for that title in particular.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
When does the PAL Estore update? I can't wait for Etrian 4 demo tomorrow.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Elswyyr posted:

When does the PAL Estore update? I can't wait for Etrian 4 demo tomorrow.

Usually about 3pm GMT.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

quote:

This email is in regard to the system you recently sent to Nintendo for repair. We regret that we are unable to repair your Limited Edition system or replace it with the same color you sent to us as we do not have any of the limited edition color available.

Am I gonna lose everything on my 3DS? All my Streetpasses, and Animal Crossing town, and Ambassador status? :(

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
No they can probably replace all that just fine. It's the physical model they can't replace.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

They should transfer everything to the replacement system but I'd call to make sure.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Yeah, it sounds like you'll get all your stuff, but on a generic colored system.

It's a shame Nintendo isn't willing to just swap out the guts so you still have that cool limited edition face plate.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Getting max streetpasses walking around downtown seattle was great, but now im sad my podunk oklahoma hometown can never match that. :( Gotta plan another vacation, I think.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Minrad posted:

Getting max streetpasses walking around downtown seattle was great, but now im sad my podunk oklahoma hometown can never match that. :( Gotta plan another vacation, I think.

I took mine to Vegas, and got Streetpasses from everywhere. 3 provinces, 6 states, France, Switzerland, New Zealand, Japan, and England. It was neat, and if I lose my little map trophies I will be incredibly sad.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo updated their 3D Image Share service - it now supports images from Style Savvy Trendsetters and Crashmo, and will support Art Academy at some point in the near future:

https://i.nintendo.net

Monkey Fracas posted:

In terms of 3DS, there aren't really many options when it comes to 2D platformers - NSMB2 and DKCR are at the top of the list, and Sonic Generations isn't too bad, I suppose, but that's pretty much it. Even if you broaden the list to include sidescrolling action games in general it's pretty small - Shinobi, Adventure Time and Castlevania Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate, but even those come with big caveats, and that's ignoring all the garbage like Epic Mickey.

I will say that you definitely shouldn't hesitate on Mario 3D Land, even if you don't generally enjoy 3D Mario games, as it definitely captures the feel of a 2D game.

The eShop has a few decent sidescrolling games (Mighty Switch Force, Steamworld Dig, Gunman Clive,ports of Cave Story/VVVVVV, etc) but most of 'em tend to feel kinda half-baked. There's always the Virtual Console, which has a decent selection of classic NES/Game Boy sidescrollers (all the NES Mega Man games, Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, Blaster Master, GB Bionic Commando, most of the classic Nintendo stuff).

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

MorgaineDax posted:

I took mine to Vegas, and got Streetpasses from everywhere. 3 provinces, 6 states, France, Switzerland, New Zealand, Japan, and England. It was neat, and if I lose my little map trophies I will be incredibly sad.

I went to the International 3 valve was hosting so I was really hoping for a bunch of Chinese and Russian provinces but all I got was a bunch of US states (and a guy from Bulgaria) :saddowns:

It's still a cool as hell concept, but it really only works if you live in a major city. Would be cool if the spotpass hotspots could store multiple passes for people in smaller towns.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nintendo updated their 3D Image Share service - it now supports images from Style Savvy Trendsetters and Crashmo, and will support Art Academy at some point in the near future:

https://i.nintendo.net

In terms of 3DS, there aren't really many options when it comes to 2D platformers - NSMB2 and DKCR are at the top of the list, and Sonic Generations isn't too bad, I suppose, but that's pretty much it. Even if you broaden the list to include sidescrolling action games in general it's pretty small - Shinobi, Adventure Time and Castlevania Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate, but even those come with big caveats, and that's ignoring all the garbage like Epic Mickey.

I will say that you definitely shouldn't hesitate on Mario 3D Land, even if you don't generally enjoy 3D Mario games, as it definitely captures the feel of a 2D game.

The eShop has a few decent sidescrolling games (Mighty Switch Force, Steamworld Dig, Gunman Clive,ports of Cave Story/VVVVVV, etc) but most of 'em tend to feel kinda half-baked. There's always the Virtual Console, which has a decent selection of classic NES/Game Boy sidescrollers (all the NES Mega Man games, Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, Blaster Master, GB Bionic Commando, most of the classic Nintendo stuff).

3D Land was the first game I bought after FE:A, it really is a must own for the 3DS. Bummer about the platforming games, though- guess I'll have to settle for Castlevania Order of Ecclasia or Dawn of Sorrow.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Minrad posted:

I went to the International 3 valve was hosting so I was really hoping for a bunch of Chinese and Russian provinces but all I got was a bunch of US states (and a guy from Bulgaria) :saddowns:

It's still a cool as hell concept, but it really only works if you live in a major city. Would be cool if the spotpass hotspots could store multiple passes for people in smaller towns.

Your mistake there was expecting 3DS owners at a hardcore PC gamer event.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

njsykora posted:

I mean, I was getting a shitload of passes, even entirely in Benaroya some days, but almost every owner was an American. How do people survive a 12 hour pacific flight without a handheld, barring laptop owners? :v:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

njsykora posted:

I got a bunch of streetpasses at the last Warped Tour, I don't think it's farfetched to expect at least one streetpass during an event full of people who play video games. Maybe the idea that hardcore PC gamers only play PC games and nothing else ever is true.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Minrad posted:

I mean, I was getting a shitload of passes, even entirely in Benaroya some days, but almost every owner was an American. How do people survive a 12 hour pacific flight without a handheld, barring laptop owners? :v:

Books, iphones, and tears mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Monkey Fracas posted:

3D Land was the first game I bought after FE:A, it really is a must own for the 3DS. Bummer about the platforming games, though- guess I'll have to settle for Castlevania Order of Ecclasia or Dawn of Sorrow.

If you're open to DS games then there are a whole bunch of games you should check out - the Castlevanias, Mega Man Zero Collection, Contra 4, Kirby Super Star Ultra and a whole lot more that don't spring to mind right now.

• Locked thread