Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

RaspberryCommie posted:

Does it use the yellowcake, refined uranium or the fuel rod? CAuse I got some of those sticking around, but Mekanism stuff always causes my computer to lag with all the block updates and noise and stuff.

Yes it does use the Atomic Science U-238 derived by turning Uranium Ore into Yellowcake then Uranium Hexafloride then U-235 and U238. I have done this myself, and in my suggestion: don't. The energy costs of the machinery needed far outstrips the power you get back. However if you find Nether Urnaium, you can pulverize it into 4 Yellorium dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Alkydere posted:

Yes it does use the Atomic Science U-238 derived by turning Uranium Ore into Yellowcake then Uranium Hexafloride then U-235 and U238. I have done this myself, and in my suggestion: don't. The energy costs of the machinery needed far outstrips the power you get back. However if you find Nether Urnaium, you can pulverize it into 4 Yellorium dust.

So basically just drain my supply of U-238, then start using Yellowrium/Blutonium then?

At least fusion reactors don't seem to lag so much. Friend of mine built a huge one, but he used the Mekanism energy pipe to transfer out power which basically turned my MC into a slideshow. Thankfully convinced him to switch over to conduits.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RaspberryCommie posted:

So basically just drain my supply of U-238, then start using Yellowrium/Blutonium then?

At least fusion reactors don't seem to lag so much. Friend of mine built a huge one, but he used the Mekanism energy pipe to transfer out power which basically turned my MC into a slideshow. Thankfully convinced him to switch over to conduits.

I built a 9 fusion reactor system that doubled my tick rate on the server every time the plasma pulsed. I was using superconductors and whatnot. But simultaneously generating 6x4x9 blocks of plasma then fire then all the power from that at the same time was problematic. Avg tick went from 8ms to 16 every pulse.
Big Reactors don't seem to have that problem, even with gigantic ones. They output huge amount of BC power with what appears to be no lag. The lag almost seems to come from the systems they are powering and not themselves. I can't say definitively, but I would say based on the significant amount of use I have put on them, that has been my experience.

Mekanism, while I love the ideas, also game me plenty of problems and I ended up resorting to thermal expansion.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I've been using Wylker's LP modpack in the technic launcher. I keep getting heatscar spiders (and other supposed nether only mobs) spawning in the overworld. I dropped the newest versions of TC and NAtura into the mods folder which I thought would fix it. It didnt work. Then I tried using the mod options from in the game to stop them from spawning. THey are still spawning. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, please let me know. I hate those drat spiders, they are seriously eating into my enjoyment of the game.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Mob spawning wise the Wylkerpack is megafucked in like six different ways; if there was any real way of dealing with the problem it would have been fixed on the real server by now. You just have to live with it, I'm afraid.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Ixjuvin posted:

Mob spawning wise the Wylkerpack is megafucked in like six different ways; if there was any real way of dealing with the problem it would have been fixed on the real server by now. You just have to live with it, I'm afraid.

Well Im glad to know it's not just me. I wasnt aware that their were issues on the server as well. Probably because I'm way behind on the the LPs. I really do like the variety of creatures and stuff but I seriously feel like all I do spend all my time running away or back to my stuff. Maybe I should play Tekkit proper for a while.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

vulturesrow posted:

Well Im glad to know it's not just me. I wasnt aware that their were issues on the server as well. Probably because I'm way behind on the the LPs. I really do like the variety of creatures and stuff but I seriously feel like all I do spend all my time running away or back to my stuff. Maybe I should play Tekkit proper for a while.

It's pretty simple to just remove the mo creatures and project zulu (I think those are the ones) archives from the zipped folder.

My favorite wylker modpack bug was the savanna biome near my home getting absolutely packed with animals, so it was an endless see of rhinos, elephants, and giraffes.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood
I just finished personalizing Stark Tower, and thought I would share the vanity shot.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

senae posted:

It's pretty simple to just remove the mo creatures and project zulu (I think those are the ones) archives from the zipped folder.

My favorite wylker modpack bug was the savanna biome near my home getting absolutely packed with animals, so it was an endless see of rhinos, elephants, and giraffes.

The heatscar spiders that I was bitching about are actually from Natura.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Erogenous Beef posted:

That's not a bug; the reactor can't operate if part of it is unloaded, as the bits that are unloaded may actually contain parts of the simulation. If any part of the reactor unloads, the whole thing pauses until the machine is whole again. You can use UE uranium, but I think yellorium is more common by default.

I think you're imagining 0.17. You might be thinking of 0.1.7, which is an older version than the current 0.1.13. The most current version can always be found on the Big Reactors website.

I've talked about 0.2 in the future, which will of course start with 0.2.0 and go up from there.

Then I am imagining things, my apologies.

I know the reactor can't work while partly unloaded, the problem I had was that it didn't start back up again afterwards. I believe someone else complained/reported it, and I also believe you fixed it. The not working again when loaded back in part. Or I might be confusing this with some other mod. It is quite a while ago, months I believe.

I am rambling, sorry.

But, in my modded bigdig pack, Yelloworium doesn't spawn at all. Probably because UE uranium does, and it is super rare. After digging up 20 chunks worth of world with quarries, I had a whopping 8 uranium. Certainly not enough for a reactor of any size really. Haven't looked into upping the spawn rate though.

Erogenous Beef
Dec 20, 2006

i know the filthy secrets of your heart

Dunno-Lars posted:

But, in my modded bigdig pack, Yelloworium doesn't spawn at all. Probably because UE uranium does, and it is super rare. After digging up 20 chunks worth of world with quarries, I had a whopping 8 uranium. Certainly not enough for a reactor of any size really. Haven't looked into upping the spawn rate though.

That's odd, it shouldn't auto-disable if UE uranium spawns in. Check your config? At worst, try turning world regen on, which should load yellorite ore into any chunks that my world generation code hasn't touched before.

I'm hoping Calclavia didn't add some kind of yellorite-generation-disabling code to Atomic Science. That would be lameballs.

GhostSeven
Apr 23, 2005

Yesterday Was A Million Years Ago

Erogenous Beef posted:

That's odd, it shouldn't auto-disable if UE uranium spawns in. Check your config? At worst, try turning world regen on, which should load yellorite ore into any chunks that my world generation code hasn't touched before.

I'm hoping Calclavia didn't add some kind of yellorite-generation-disabling code to Atomic Science. That would be lameballs.

Have not had problems spawning yellorium and uranium on the Toast pack. With both Atomic Science and Big Reactors. So I don't think there is any anti-yellorium code from Calc's side (as far as I can see)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

GhostSeven posted:

Have not had problems spawning yellorium and uranium on the Toast pack. With both Atomic Science and Big Reactors. So I don't think there is any anti-yellorium code from Calc's side (as far as I can see)

Seconding that I've had no trouble with Yellorium spawns in Toast which also has Atomic Science.

If anything, after fiddling a bit with the spawn rate, it's almost too common. My reactor can't eat it fast enough.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
So in Minecraft news, today Dinnerbone released the first version of a dev tool that generates every possible crash in minecraft that has been detected by the launcher. Just over 59 pages of reports for MC 1.6.2, kind of big but I was expecting more.

How does this relate to the modding thread? Well, it also tracks if the game was modded or not. Which boosts the list of crashes and bugs from 60 pages to 1,146. 1,086 pages of crash report data comes from modded clients alone.

So how is this useful for mod developers? Well Dinnerbone plans on hooking this directly into the client and allowing for additional information to be conveyed to the player. When the game crashes, not only will it let you know if the crash has been documented before, but if there is a solution to the fix.

Dinnerbone gives this page as an example of what this would look like. The page gives your proper crash info, how many times this crash has been reported, jar version, if the issue is being tracked on the JIRA (The minecraft bug tracker) and provides a link to it on JIRA if so, and if the issue is unresolved or resolved but not fixed. However most important about this page is the green box at the top that tells you why the crash is happening and how to fix/prevent the crash if there is any way to.

Now here is the thing, Dinnerbone is apparently working towards allowing mod devs to find crashes related to their mod and use this as an automatically generating list of crasehs and bugs they should look at as well as provide solutions to crashes within the game client, bypassing the need for people to even post error reports and requests for help on forums.

While still a heavy work in progress, Dinnerbone is working on filters and such that will allow modders to see which crashes is caused by which mod (For example, DB points out that he can look up Buildcraft, and find 419 unique crashes).

With proper secured account linking mod devs to access crashes associated with their mods, this could be a great tool for tracking and fixing crashes (as well as potentially provide hilarious public displays of mod drama when devs decide to fight it out in the crash logs like Greg did).

Maybe I am over thinking this, but it seems like a pretty decent tool.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 14, 2013

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Enzer posted:

(as well as potentially provide hilarious public displays of mod drama when devs decide to fight it out in the crash logs like Greg did).

GT_ItsNotMyFaultException is both hilarious and sad. Apparently he spams the error logs with it whenever something happens that is a result of his poor coding. Here's one that CJ ran into with Railcraft.

On that subject, there's no way that forcing people to choose between Tinker's Construct and Gregtech could go any way but badly for Greg.

Edit: Found this while googling for more instances of ItsNotMyFaultException:

It's from back in April, but that makes it no less hilarious. (Even funnier is the fact that you can change the Technic launcher install folder to completely evade it. I changed mine to .tl2 back when the launcher had its major update, just to get around stupid poo poo like this.)

Edit2: I just noticed that was the source of the "I could have exploded your worlds" line. Eh whatever.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 14, 2013

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
It's cool to see acknowledgement of the modding scene, at least. After the flip-flop on the format for texture packs it was easy to wonder if they even remotely gave a poo poo.

Does anyone have advice on repairing armor in Hexxit? Or I guess advice on getting shittons of XP for use in repairing stuff. I'm wearing 3 parts of the special Hexical scale armor + thaumcraft boots, but even with the boots being self-repairing I'm barely breaking even after a few battle towers. I was hoping to disenchant the massive pile of enchanted gear I have no use for, but I'm apparently on the version of the enchanting plus where that feature was removed.

Also I seem to be coming across a lot of enchanted books with no actual enchantment in them. Are they useful for anything besides filling bookshelves?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I checked the MFR thread on the MC Forums but couldn't find any info about this; will MFR just run normally with no power requirements if no mod that can provide it power is installed? I seem to recall reading this somewhere, but can't remember where. I'm thinking about adding it to my custom Hexxit-based pack for the time being but I don't want to add any other tech mods if I can avoid it (not because I don't love TE, I'm just kind of burnt out on the usual tech mod scene).

CultusImperialis
Jun 2, 2011

Fortis posted:

I checked the MFR thread on the MC Forums but couldn't find any info about this; will MFR just run normally with no power requirements if no mod that can provide it power is installed? I seem to recall reading this somewhere, but can't remember where. I'm thinking about adding it to my custom Hexxit-based pack for the time being but I don't want to add any other tech mods if I can avoid it (not because I don't love TE, I'm just kind of burnt out on the usual tech mod scene).

Pretty sure MFR has at least one power source (BioFuel/Gas/whatever the hell it is called), so it should be usable as a standalone mod.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

CultusImperialis posted:

Pretty sure MFR has at least one power source (BioFuel/Gas/whatever the hell it is called), so it should be usable as a standalone mod.

Oh, right, I'd forgotten about that. For simplicity's sake, though, I'm thinking about having them require no power, which I guess is possible, since I found this on the Technic Wiki (the official one, no less! I didn't know there was an official Wiki.)

http://wiki.technicpack.net/MineFactory_Reloaded posted:

All MineFactory Reloaded machines that have power draws can have their energy requirements changed in the configuration file.

I assume that means I can set everything to have no power requirement, which would be what I'm going for.

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.
Unfortunately the next Wylkerpack (1.6) will no longer include MoC because its just too hard to make things work right. Maybe one day forge will give hooks for mod makers to have their mobs spawn in an intelligent fashion but until then I've sorta given up on it.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

wylker posted:

Unfortunately the next Wylkerpack (1.6) will no longer include MoC because its just too hard to make things work right. Maybe one day forge will give hooks for mod makers to have their mobs spawn in an intelligent fashion but until then I've sorta given up on it.

Maybe it will help my issue with heatscar spiders spawning in the over world. When do you anticipate releasing it?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

m2pt5 posted:

It's from back in April, but that makes it no less hilarious. (Even funnier is the fact that you can change the Technic launcher install folder to completely evade it. I changed mine to .tl2 back when the launcher had its major update, just to get around stupid poo poo like this.)

That's not even the most recent version- the last one I saw had something along the lines of "PPPS. STOP ASKING ME TO CHANGE THIS SO YOU CAN PLAY NON-TEKKIT PLATFORM PACKS OR MORE EASILY CONVERT YOUR TECHNIC SERVERS TO FTB WHY IS EVERYONE SO MAD AT ME ;_;"

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

Maybe it will help my issue with heatscar spiders spawning in the over world. When do you anticipate releasing it?

A lot of mods I want to play next time are not in the pack yet. You can go disable heatscar spiders in the mo creatures config though.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It's been said already, but I'm pretty sure Heatscar Spiders are Natura, not Zulu, not Mo Creatures.

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

It's been said already, but I'm pretty sure Heatscar Spiders are Natura, not Zulu, not Mo Creatures.

The issue isnt' what mod they come from. The issue is in how Mo Creatures globally changes how mobs spawn.

On a side note, here is a video about OpenBlocks, a cool mod made by Mikee: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbCxjv9NozM

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Well, after leaving early-level skyden running for about a weeks' worth of sickness (and remembering to clear out the trees only occasionally) I finally found the drive to begin with the Fez part of my build, thanks in part to one of my friends pointing out that there was probably a font that would handle the english to Cubish translation for me.

So tonight I began to build up a tetronimo walkway to the halfway point, where I'll start work on A Beautiful Garden on the Mycelium side of the path, and begin plotting out fields of gold in the other direction.

Here's the path:

And to give an idea of how long I've been ill, I managed to fill up this barrel while leaving the game running:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

wylker posted:

The issue isnt' what mod they come from. The issue is in how Mo Creatures globally changes how mobs spawn.

On a side note, here is a video about OpenBlocks, a cool mod made by Mikee: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbCxjv9NozM

"Or a 9 by 9, if your into that." Heh.

Seems like a nice mod, REALLY liking that tank, 'specially how it balances out. The hang-glider and elevator are something neat too. :haw:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Some pages ago there was talk of MFR laser drills being more effective from Galacticraft Overworld Space Stations. Is this a proposed/upcoming feature, or something that's already in? Come to think of it, I'm not even sure if the height from bedrock makes a difference, though I heard mention of that too.
While I'm on the subject, actually, am I correct that prechargers don't increase efficiency or yield, just the speed at which the drill can accept energy?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

wylker posted:

Is this for 1.5.2? I might be an idiot but I don't see any indication of the intended version anywhere.
I hope so, because I need this mod in my life.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

wylker posted:

This is really cool though I'm not sure how I feel about being slaughtered by my own ghost. I'd rather have it so the ghost pops out if someone tries to steal my poo poo, but not if I grab my corpse myself. I hope that's configurable. Otherwise, awesome looking mod.

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

Fortis posted:

Is this for 1.5.2? I might be an idiot but I don't see any indication of the intended version anywhere.
I hope so, because I need this mod in my life.

It's 1.5.2, I probably should have mentioned that...

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Progress shot!

The grey cube is a vacuum ripple, which is just a short lived forcefield that appears wherever you point the manipulator. It's meant to make it easier to start construction projects with platforms floating at high altitudes, in space, over liquids, anywhere you don't have anything convenient nearby to build from. It can be handy for making temporary bridges across gaps and such too, or if you aim it downwards you can build downwards without water or the ability to fly.

Oh, I added a mode for the manipulator to switch to to do that. It has an energy bar that regenerates over time, right now you can put out 16 ripples and it takes about a minute to fully recharge. Rotation is unchanged.

The yellow field I'm still fine tuning, but it's already usable as an elevator. I'm seeing if I can get the physics right for it to be either a null G field, an accelerator field, or (ideally) both. So far every time I optimize for one the other one winds up behaving wonky.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 15, 2013

Makaris
May 4, 2009
I am so goddamn clueless when it comes to modding. Makes me want to rip my hair out sometimes.

The Technic Launcher was, thankfully, easy enough to work out, and I got a Hexxit Server up. But it freezes up for 5-10 seconds every few seconds after being up for a minute or so, even when all graphical options are turned down to minimum. Regular Minecraft works just fine. So yeah, that's annoying.

Abandoning Hexxit for the time being, I then looked into using Pchan's Steamship mod, updated by some guy: (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1651891-16xforgegotolink-updates-creeperspecies-fixed-with-forge/#Pchan3). I followed his extremely sparse installation procedure, but it still doesnt' work in single player, let alone that I want it for SMP. I downloaded and installed forge (Install Client, it said), despite not know what all these bukkits and forges and mod loaders are for, and dropped his zip into minecraft mod folder, as well as dropping an unzipped version, when it failed to work with just the former.

Help with either issue? What can I do to improve Hexxit's performance and/or install a stand alone mod? Anything at all would be appreciated. Thanks!

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Makaris posted:

I am so goddamn clueless when it comes to modding. Makes me want to rip my hair out sometimes.

The Technic Launcher was, thankfully, easy enough to work out, and I got a Hexxit Server up. But it freezes up for 5-10 seconds every few seconds after being up for a minute or so, even when all graphical options are turned down to minimum. Regular Minecraft works just fine. So yeah, that's annoying.

Abandoning Hexxit for the time being, I then looked into using Pchan's Steamship mod, updated by some guy: (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1651891-16xforgegotolink-updates-creeperspecies-fixed-with-forge/#Pchan3). I followed his extremely sparse installation procedure, but it still doesnt' work in single player, let alone that I want it for SMP. I downloaded and installed forge (Install Client, it said), despite not know what all these bukkits and forges and mod loaders are for, and dropped his zip into minecraft mod folder, as well as dropping an unzipped version, when it failed to work with just the former.

Help with either issue? What can I do to improve Hexxit's performance and/or install a stand alone mod? Anything at all would be appreciated. Thanks!

Forge goes inside the minecraft.jar. Everything else goes in the mods or coremods folder. (It should tell you in the thread which.)

Also Steamship appears to be for 1.6, where the Forge installation is different and doesn't work with the Technic launcher.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

metasynthetic posted:

Progress shot!

The grey cube is a vacuum ripple, which is just a short lived forcefield that appears wherever you point the manipulator. It's meant to make it easier to start construction projects with platforms floating at high altitudes, in space, over liquids, anywhere you don't have anything convenient nearby to build from. It can be handy for making temporary bridges across gaps and such too, or if you aim it downwards you can build downwards without water or the ability to fly.

Oh, I added a mode for the manipulator to switch to to do that. It has an energy bar that regenerates over time, right now you can put out 16 ripples and it takes about a minute to fully recharge. Rotation is unchanged.

The yellow field I'm still fine tuning, but it's already usable as an elevator. I'm seeing if I can get the physics right for it to be either a null G field, an accelerator field, or (ideally) both. So far every time I optimize for one the other one winds up behaving wonky.

This is awesome. I burned myself out on MC for a while but I'm looking forward to playing 1.6 once all the mods update. Lots of awesome looking stuff between your updates, Big Reactors updates.

Unfortunately it looks like KingLemming and power crystals might have also gotten burned out. :(

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
gently caress 1.6, gently caress 1.5, have a mod for rd-160052 (pre 0.0.9a)

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."
What's the word on Technic for 1.6? I've gotten kind of addicted to continuous integration after keeping pace with all the Toast updates for the last three months.

Makaris
May 4, 2009

m2pt5 posted:

Forge goes inside the minecraft.jar. Everything else goes in the mods or coremods folder. (It should tell you in the thread which.)

Also Steamship appears to be for 1.6, where the Forge installation is different and doesn't work with the Technic launcher.

Thanks, I actually managed to crack down on what I was doing wrong with Forge. Rather, I realized that I needed to set my client profile to it. Didn't realize it had added one, I thought that was just for changing our displayed name and maybe inventory on different servers.

About Hexxit, is it just me or does it seem way to busy? The map generates absolutely filthy with dungeons and mega tree's and pirate ships and villages etc that the majesty of discovery is just totally overwhelmed and lost in the midst of it all.

Makaris fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 16, 2013

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Okay nevermind it looks like distance to bedrock makes no difference for laser drills so the space station is sort of a waste of time.

Man now I'm wondering why I even spent all those resources on Galacticraft in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Vib Rib posted:

Okay nevermind it looks like distance to bedrock makes no difference for laser drills so the space station is sort of a waste of time.

Man now I'm wondering why I even spent all those resources on Galacticraft in the first place.

I thought higher Y levels for the drill increased its energy efficiency or something?

• Locked thread