Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

The_Frag_Man posted:

Since P4A had a obvious sequel-hook ending this isn't surprising. I'm happy about the announcement though, I liked P4A.
For the guy who asked earlier it's probably still set during golden week.

I wonder if it will be region-locked this time / delayed by a year here.

Edit: This site says it's an update to P4A, but who knows if it's trustworthy:
http://thesaltminedotcom.wordpress.com/2013/08/16/persona-4-arena-update-two-new-characters/

http://shoryuken.com/2013/08/15/new...r-august-16-18/

This one also indicates that it's just an update to the current P4A, and not an actual sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Edit: You know what just nevermind.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

^^ Oh, does that mean it is DLC then?

Probably not. Most likely it'll just be an updated rerelease of the current game with new characters added.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Like the update that added Valkenhain, Trinity and Makoto to Blazblue?

Bummer, I was hoping for a true sequel :sigh:

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Like the update that added Valkenhain, Trinity and Makoto to Blazblue?

Bummer, I was hoping for a true sequel :sigh:

I could see it hitting consoles as a full fighting game sequel, if they're really going for 4 characters. Wasn't that basically what Continuum Shift 2 ended up being?

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Ryanbomber posted:

I could see it hitting consoles as a full fighting game sequel, if they're really going for 4 characters. Wasn't that basically what Continuum Shift 2 ended up being?

Continuum Shift 2 was a free update to CS (minus the characters themselves). Of course then they released CS Extend as a retail thing despite having less new content compared to 2 so there's no real logic to any of it.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
http://shoryuken.com/2013/08/15/new...r-august-16-18/

quote:

Chie Satonaka

SB God’s Hand uses two hands instead of one.

quote:

Chie Satonaka

quote:

Chie Satonaka

Glory be

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Ryanbomber posted:

It could also be like Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, where it was DLC for SSFIV. I hope it's like that, I already spent full price on P4A and would rather not spend even close to that for 4 new characters.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Sweep > 5D has been removed.

This is literally what his entire character revolves around.

Hopefully Mitsuru gets Rachel tier nerfs.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Alteisen posted:

Hopefully Mitsuru gets Rachel tier nerfs.

Yeah I want Mitsuru and Aigis to be a smoking crater after ArcSys is done with them. Also buff Teddie's everything, tia

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The characters all have Shadow modes that play a bit differently (something about not being able to Burst but having some other gimmick?). Shadow Lab still exists as her own character though because of her different Persona.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201308/16038447.html

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

TurnipFritter posted:

The characters all have Shadow modes that play a bit differently (something about not being able to Burst but having some other gimmick?). Shadow Lab still exists as her own character though because of her different Persona.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201308/16038447.html

I'm really excited for shadow modes of everyone's characters, that's a feature I was missing from the game, especially since you fought them during story mode in some cases.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

TurnipFritter posted:

The characters all have Shadow modes that play a bit differently (something about not being able to Burst but having some other gimmick?).

This other gimmick is that they get a speed and damage boost (that also uses one of the only button combinations that the game wasn't already using). Pretty interesting idea, as long as it's not X-Factor levels of stupid.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fungah! posted:

Yeah I want Mitsuru and Aigis to be a smoking crater after ArcSys is done with them. Also buff Teddie's everything, tia

Aigis takes effort, Mitsuru still uses her auto combo in high play, her hit frames are pretty hosed up to.

But I do agree with the smoldering crater sentiment and Teddie buffs.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Alteisen posted:

And it's probably my favorite change so far. It's not as overpowered as Mitsuru and Aigis's nonsense, but Yu's current gameplan is pretty much the most boring thing imaginable.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Shadow Junpei is a sight to see, I tell ya.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

TurnipFritter posted:

Good grief Junpei, I'm glad we never had to deal with your Shadow in Persona 3!

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Do any of you guys own any of the Persona concert DVDs? I'm kinda considering getting one maybe..

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Meanwhile in Devil Survivor land:
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/08/16/step-it-up-europe-devil-survivor-2-only-has-627-pre-orders

627 DS2 preorders

Ghostlight Representative posted:

For us well we've already done pretty much all of the work on the game. We know some people would like to play it so rather than have it just sit on our computers for all eternity we'd like to get it out there for them. So long as we can at least break even on the manufacturing costs.

We were always aware that some people would rather wait for Break Record which is fair enough really.

That's right. The game is done at this point it's really just about trying to get it out to the people who do want it.

E: Now that I think about it, by the time P4A and DS2 Break Record will even be localized, Atlus will have a new owner.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 16, 2013

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

The NDS isn't region locked, anyone who wanted DS2 imported it already.
I myself imported it ages and ages ago.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

The_Frag_Man posted:

The NDS isn't region locked, anyone who wanted DS2 imported it already.
I myself imported it ages and ages ago.

Obviously the solution to this problem is to region lock your game so people in PAL territories have no choice but to wait a year to buy it, rather than simply releasing your games everywhere at the same time.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TurnipFritter posted:

I wonder what Shadow Junpei is like? Does he invite you to eat burgers and then you're actually at a tofu shop?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh my god Junpei is a baseball player

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

I can't believe that there are 627 people stupid enough to trust Ghostlight when they could just import.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fungah! posted:

I'd like it if they weren't OP as gently caress but still good. There's no reason to nerf a character into the ground because they were OP, that's what happened to Sean in Third Strike and it's still an injustice to people who play those characters.

...Also please buff Chie some more ArcSys, I need her to be the best.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Obviously the solution to this problem is to region lock your game so people in PAL territories have no choice but to wait a year to buy it, rather than simply releasing your games everywhere at the same time.

Thankfully Nintendo realised that, and Europe is incredibly greatful. :commissar:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

CottonWolf posted:

Thankfully Nintendo realised that, and Europe is incredibly greatful. :commissar:

Nintendo has control over how PS3 and Xbox 360 games are region-locked? :confused:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Strange Quark posted:

Nintendo has control over how PS3 and Xbox 360 games are region-locked? :confused:

I was specifically thinking of the 3DS, seeing as that seems to be Atlus' new favourite toy.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
We'll have to see how that goes. The 3DS just had its region lock broken by a flashcard team (albeit on older firmware models) and likely within another year there will be some software hacks to remove it altogether.

E: This seems to have slipped through the cracks

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-09/j-trust-makes-offer-for-index-corp-in-bid-to-tap-online-clients.html

Non game companies are also trying to buy Index for the phone software they make.

E2: J Trust, partially owned by Goldman Sachs

Dehry fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 16, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Dehry posted:

We'll have to see how that goes. The 3DS just had its region lock broken by a flashcard team (albeit on older firmware models) and likely within another year there will be some software hacks to remove it altogether.

E: This seems to have slipped through the cracks

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-09/j-trust-makes-offer-for-index-corp-in-bid-to-tap-online-clients.html

Non game companies are also trying to buy Index for the phone software they make.

E2: J Trust, partially owned by Goldman Sachs

I barealy know anything about economics, but the way this guy talks about Index's potential boost to it's own goals made look like if they they'll only use the brand to search for a wider market and they don't give a drat about their game making operations.

I hope that they don't win the bid :ohdear:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hopefully they break up the company into smaller bits, and Sega(still a favorite) can nab the Atlus stuff.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I have a few questions regarding the Persona games.
  • Reading up on the original PS1 localization of Persona 1, it was said that the localization toned down the difficulty of the game (encounter rate was lowered, enemies were weaker, gave more XP). Did these changes carry over into the PSP remake?

• There’s a translation patch for the PS1 version of Persona 2: Innocent Sin. If you’re playing through both P2 games, what would be the preferred way to play Innocent Sin: via the PS1 translation patch, or the PSP version?

• Is there any real drawback to playing Persona 4 over P4:Golden, in regards to the added content on the Vita version?

• Are the PSP versions of Persona 1 and Persona 2: Innocent Sin available through download on the PS Vita?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 16, 2013

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Persona 4 regular is perfectly serviceable, you miss out on some funny scenes from the vita version and one good s link (the other one is fanfiction level garbage) and some quality of life improvements, but if you have no access to a vita the PS2 version is completely fine.

BUT, based on your post it seems you do have a Vita, so there is no reason whatsoever to not just get Golden.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The PSP release of Innocent Sin is cool, but they really didn't change that much. So playing it on the PS1 isn't that bad of an idea, especially when you consider you can use ePSXe save states to take out the hassle of demon negotiation (and make a lot of money at bingo).

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nate RFB posted:

The PSP release of Innocent Sin is cool, but they really didn't change that much. So playing it on the PS1 isn't that bad of an idea, especially when you consider you can use ePSXe save states to take out the hassle of demon negotiation (and make a lot of money at bingo).

Or just set blackjack to auto and leave it running in the background to get mad rich. :v:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

I have a few questions regarding the Persona games.
  • Reading up on the original PS1 localization of Persona 1, it was said that the localization toned down the difficulty of the game (encounter rate was lowered, enemies were weaker, gave more XP). Did these changes carry over into the PSP remake?

• There’s a translation patch for the PS1 version of Persona 2: Innocent Sin. If you’re playing through both P2 games, what would be the preferred way to play Innocent Sin: via the PS1 translation patch, or the PSP version?

• Is there any real drawback to playing Persona 4 over P4:Golden, in regards to the added content on the Vita version?

• Are the PSP versions of Persona 1 and Persona 2: Innocent Sin available through download on the PS Vita?

The PSP Persona remake is just the original translated and setup with PSP controls. I find the PSP version of Persona 2 IS to be better just because of the fact you can remap controls to the second stick. I tried EP for a few minutes and got fed up with the controls.

Persona 4 Golden has a few additions to the story but overall you can get by with Persona 4 and watching the P4G epilogue on YouTube. That being said, the additional month of gameplay and the ability to go out at night and improve Slinks really changed the experience for me. Especially the last month. You can live without the nighttime stuff the first time through since you have to focus on building social stats, but the second play through on it leads to a bunch of going to bed early or doing jobs for money.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

TurnipFritter posted:

Welp, the internet just gained a new reaction face meme image. Thank you, Atlus and ArcSys.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Ibram Gaunt posted:

BUT, based on your post it seems you do have a Vita, so there is no reason whatsoever to not just get Golden.
Actually, I don't. Sorry, I meant to mention that in the post. That was actually the crux of my questions. I don't necessarily want to spend the cash on a PSP or a Vita when there are others way to play the games. However, I'm not ruling the idea out completely, because it's the only way to play the complete version of P1, and the additional content in P4:Golden sounds interesting.

The reason I asked about whether P1 and P2:IS were available for download on the Vita is because I figured if I had to buy a system, I could get the Vita, and have the ability to play through the whole series that way. I also didn't know anything about the quality of the the P2:IS PS1 translation patch, or if the PSP version of P2:IS had any changes or additions.

Dehry posted:

The PSP Persona remake is just the original translated and setup with PSP controls.
So the difficulty is the same as the Japanese version?

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
I think you can get all the Personas released in the US on the PS3 marketplace. I don't have one so I can't confirm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Persona 1 is loving trash, don't even bother.

If you REALLY wanna play an early Persona, try 2, its still poo poo but the story carries it somewhat.