Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

There is a max size of something like 1000 sectors. Each sector seems to be about 2km across based on nav screen numbers. Go nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Is it really that low? that's only a 10x10x10 cube and goons have absolutely dug deeper into it than that. Hell I live in 13, 11, 6 and go waaaaay past that pretty regularly.

Or do you mean 1,000 sectors in each dimension? If that's the case we're looking at 1,000x1,000x1,000 which is 1,000,000,000 sectors. Good luck visiting all of them.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This game might be too appealing for me, even in its highly broken/unstable state I'm liking it.

I hope they work on stabilizing the net code/lag situation as that's the main thing I don't enjoy about combat... seeing poo poo teleport around constantly is annoying.

Also there REALLY needs to be warp scramblers or something so you don't end up chasing people forever because trying to pvp while zoning is dumb.

I blew up one guys engines to stop him and eat his ship though, that was satisfying.

The goddamn PVP potential for this game would be loving awesome, and I like how people are taking to pvp right off the bat whereas with minecraft there was like 5 years of people sucking each other off over pyrmiads and rasterbations before people even dabbled in faction pvp.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Open a local server, set the max speed to the highest it can go, make a ship out of only thrusters and power blocks and report back in however many days that poo poo takes.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Did the server die? My connection to it shat out and now I can't get back on.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Has anyone else been having any trouble connecting to the server? I just tried joining to continue work on my desert planet fort, and I got the following message:

Critical Error posted:

DisconnectException: You have been disconnected from the Server (either connection problem or server crash) ActualException: EOFException

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah its down, spam zenik with more pms

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

They definitely need warp disrupters and stasis webifiers like from eve. It sucks chasing down people sometimes.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Will power drain cannons stop people from running? I figured their engines need power.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kharmakazy posted:

Will power drain cannons stop people from running? I figured their engines need power.

not really since once you're at max speed you don't need any power to maintain that speed, it would make stopping and turning harder though... but right now you have to hit their actualy power blocks directly for it to work, and if there's a ton of disconnected power arrays then you probably won't hit enough to really make a difference... and this time is probably better sent shooting them with guns.

A webifier/tractor beam weapon would be an amazing grief tool although they'd have to look closely at balancing it by making it consume a lot of power or something..

soy fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 15, 2013

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

The power drain beams really need to just work by hitting the ship directly. Hell, make it a tradeoff; it only has to hit the power block if the ship has no shields. Otherwise, it drains power through the shields using TECHNOMAGICEXMACHINA.

If you have any doubts about this game, just jump on the mumble and the server. Or if you want to try it solo, play the game single-player and just read guides about how to build efficiently. For me, the neatest thing is seeing AI pilots flying player-made ships. As more content gets added, this game is only going to get ridiculously better.

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 15, 2013

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Do the pulse weapons or whatever do anything yet? They don't have any description, and I wasn't able to fire the one I built.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah i hope to see stuff like armor tanks and shield tanks having different trade offs and various complexities that make pvp ship design really involved and cool.. just the power efficiency stuff right now is pretty amazing alone.

Diet Lime
Aug 11, 2013

by toby
I lose my ship whenever I leave / return to the server. Is there ANY way to protect my progress while I am not around?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Diet Lime posted:

I lose my ship whenever I leave / return to the server. Is there ANY way to protect my progress while I am not around?

You have to register and then log in with the registered username for your stuff to remain persistent. If you've already done that and it's still disappearing, add turrets, create a faction, add the turrets to the faction, and set "consider neutral enemy" to have an X in the check box.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
make a faction home station and make a dock and dock there, then it will be invincible..

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

soy posted:

make a faction home station and make a dock and dock there, then it will be invincible..

with the small caveat that it isn't safe from other people in your faction.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
Right, so if I am reading this right, in order to produce for example hardened gray hull blocks, you first need to go around how ever many stations it takes to buy 5000 hardened grey hull blocks, then turn them in then hope that the recipe it gives you is a good one? Apparently the ingridients are "random", so presumably it could give you a really lovely one requiring stupidly hard to get ingredients. Then you have to do this again for the wedges and corners, then again and again for all the other colours if you want some decoration? That seems... less than ideal.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Or just use the new system with numpad 5

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012

WetSpink posted:

Or just use the new system with numpad 5

That would probably be a good idea yes, is there an explanation how it works anywhere?

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Or upload a ship with a bunch of those blocks from your local catalog.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Judging by the 5*5*5 challenge it is a bit more complicated than that.

The 5x5x5 problem sacrifices maximal power efficiency for maximal space efficiency.

Scaevolus fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 16, 2013

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

Rudi Starnberg posted:

That would probably be a good idea yes, is there an explanation how it works anywhere?

Also even easier/better option: Make a ship that is just hardened hulls out of your 5000 blocks, save blueprint - make infinite of that ship and harvest all the hulls.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Scaevolus posted:

Or upload a ship with a bunch of those blocks from your local catalog.

The 5x5x5 problem sacrifices maximal power efficiency for maximal space efficiency.

Right, but unless you're only devoting an entire line for power you're always going to come out ahead by having something other than rods. Consider a ship with a reactor that runs down it's spine that's 5x5x40. You'll get more power by having a few 5x5x40's and some smaller reactors crammed in than you would with just 13 40 long rods.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

S.T.C.A. posted:

The power drain beams really need to just work by hitting the ship directly.

They do now, as of a few patches ago. They only drain at half efficiency if you're hitting a non-power block though.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Right, but unless you're only devoting an entire line for power you're always going to come out ahead by having something other than rods. Consider a ship with a reactor that runs down it's spine that's 5x5x40. You'll get more power by having a few 5x5x40's and some smaller reactors crammed in than you would with just 13 40 long rods.

Each of the 13 1x1x40 rods will generate 11.7k power, for a total of 152k/s. Assuming you fit 5 5x5x40s in (difficult) , you'll get 14.9k each for 74.5k/s. Good luck making up the difference with smaller reactors.

Here's a power graph for reference: http://fooplot.com/plot/nb3yte83sq Blue is total power scaled down by a thousand, red is the derivative, and black is aggregate power per block.

Checkerboards: they just work.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Pirates just started flying around in one of my blueprint ships... Thought I was in trouble for a second. Then I realized it was just a shield test ship I made with no weapons... Those poor dumb bastards.

Sloane
Oct 31, 2010

What do you mean I'm not on the list?
I was on the server for all of 2 minutes before someone named MarvinderFisch began blowing off parts of the newbie ship I was building and at the same time someone in a spacesuit named NNJannes floated up and began stealing the parts that hadn't yet been blown up.
Didn't really feel like learning the game after that experience.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Sloane posted:

I was on the server for all of 2 minutes before someone named MarvinderFisch began blowing off parts of the newbie ship I was building and at the same time someone in a spacesuit named NNJannes floated up and began stealing the parts that hadn't yet been blown up.
Didn't really feel like learning the game after that experience.

You should actually learn the game on a local server then jump into ours. Even with the safety stuff locked in by the spawn people are still finding ways of being dicks heads to everyone who comes on. Build a core, jump in and fly off in one direction until you hit a planet or shop 5-10 sectors away. You'll have enough space to build up and explore then you can come back with credits and screw around with everyone being a dick head at the spawn.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Edit: Seems like it resolved itself.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Aug 16, 2013

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

BERGfu posted:

You should actually learn the game on a local server then jump into ours. Even with the safety stuff locked in by the spawn people are still finding ways of being dicks heads to everyone who comes on. Build a core, jump in and fly off in one direction until you hit a planet or shop 5-10 sectors away. You'll have enough space to build up and explore then you can come back with credits and screw around with everyone being a dick head at the spawn.

Attach one thruster and one power thing to your cube to for better control.

biomatter
Aug 14, 2013
Note to self: always leave a way to access the pilot's pod. I jumped out of a ship to begin strip mining a planet when I realized I could not re-enter it. Spent 5 minutes with the frickin' laser pistol bashing down my shields to destroy a block so I could get back in. I locked myself back out not two minutes later. Shields had regened. Impaled myself on pirates. At least your inventory sticks with you.

Does anyone know what the gently caress is up with trying to navigate to planets, by the way? I'll be heading straight at one only for everything to rearrange itself. Sometimes the planet I had in mind as destination isn't even around no matter how much I spin. It's pretty stupid and frustrating, so I must be doing something wrong.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

biomatter posted:

Note to self: always leave a way to access the pilot's pod. I jumped out of a ship to begin strip mining a planet when I realized I could not re-enter it. Spent 5 minutes with the frickin' laser pistol bashing down my shields to destroy a block so I could get back in. I locked myself back out not two minutes later. Shields had regened. Impaled myself on pirates. At least your inventory sticks with you.

Does anyone know what the gently caress is up with trying to navigate to planets, by the way? I'll be heading straight at one only for everything to rearrange itself. Sometimes the planet I had in mind as destination isn't even around no matter how much I spin. It's pretty stupid and frustrating, so I must be doing something wrong.

This is caused by the weird pseudo-orbit thing they have going on, it's set up so it's supposed to seem like you've got all this stuff orbiting whatever point(I guess the star at 8,8,8? not sure if every system is like that). But because everything is broken up into big cubes as far as each sector goes, terrible things happen when it comes to transitioning from one sector to the next, I can only guess as to how it actually works but I'll do a little doodle explaining what I think is going on with it.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

biomatter posted:

If you right click on a block in spacesuit mode you can take that block into your inventory. You cannot do this if you have the pistol equipped.

Sorry you endured an unnecessary debacle :)

(Ninja Edit: Maybe I was only able to get through the shield because I had a faction module active on the ship? Can you not get through the shields without the ship "recognising" you?)

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Disclaimer: this entire thing assumes that where you pop into a sector is determined by where you left the previous sector. I'm also guessing that the way the "orbit" stuff in the game works is down to slowly rotating each individual sector on a single axis rather than having the sectors move around eachother.

So if the giant sector cubes are aligned properly then stuff is straight forward.

You can go from one sector to another without any huge unsettling shifts. You head into a sector from the middle of a cube's face, you'll be at the equivalent location in the new sector, you move from a corner/edge and again you'll be at the equivalent location in the new sector.

As stuff rotates it gets more like this.

When they are not aligned you get some problems because while your perception of the locations of things in other sectors is actually fine, the transition spots do not change except for when the borders between sectors change. This happens to the extent that when things are perfectly aligned it all works fine but as the cubes rotate more and more then your perceived path to the object in another sector becomes more and more distorted/offset.

This being what actually happens when you try to get to places based on what you can actually see.

This probably isn't going to help anyone get around the issue, but hopefully it helps people understand. If this turns out to be horribly wrong with a full and proper explanation elsewhere then by all means please post/link it, I'd love to see what the situation is if this isn't the case.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Why does space have to rotate? It seems odd and unnecessary to me.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
It's to simulate stuff orbiting a star.

It's really jankety.

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

Go on good sir, you have my full attention.

lohli posted:

It's to simulate stuff orbiting a star.

It's really jankety.

Well, gravity warps space in the real world too right? This just means that even though we probably can't build a warp drive engine, we can design a kick rear end top.

Theoretically of course, more testing is needed.

In a more ACTUALLY helpful sense, this could be a particularly effective method of losing a tail, does it affect the distance between points?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Dukeofdummies posted:

Well, gravity warps space in the real world too right? This just means that even though we probably can't build a warp drive engine, we can design a kick rear end top.

Theoretically of course, more testing is needed.

In a more ACTUALLY helpful sense, this could be a particularly effective method of losing a tail, does it affect the distance between points?

In real terms it doesn't affect losing someone unless you're moving through sectors quickly enough that the players could lose track of eachother in the madness of seeing the other playing warping in and out as they move through sectors and then stop/turn around.

You can go and have a strafing fight with someone where you're both flying sideways through the sectors and not have to adjust your aim at all. The rotation doesn't happen fast enough to make any significant difference in those situations.

It makes for some nice visuals ingame(like sunrise/set) but it's very problematic. It would be much better if it were scrapped, to be honest.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it
I set up a Google+ group for Starmade Goons (Choosing Google+ as it is easier to join/invite and there are Hangouts.)

https://plus.google.com/communities/104140531382129444939

It is public at the moment but when there are a few more people we can make it private or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biomatter
Aug 14, 2013

Wingless posted:

If you right click on a block in spacesuit mode you can take that block into your inventory. You cannot do this if you have the pistol equipped.

Sorry you endured an unnecessary debacle :)

(Ninja Edit: Maybe I was only able to get through the shield because I had a faction module active on the ship? Can you not get through the shields without the ship "recognising" you?)

I tried that - all right-clicking did was activate/deactivate power blocks, shields an' stuff. I'll do the faction thingy next time lol.

lohli posted:

Disclaimer: this entire thing assumes that where you pop into a sector is determined by where you left the previous sector. I'm also guessing that the way the "orbit" stuff in the game works is down to slowly rotating each individual sector on a single axis rather than having the sectors move around eachother.

So if the giant sector cubes are aligned properly then stuff is straight forward.

You can go from one sector to another without any huge unsettling shifts. You head into a sector from the middle of a cube's face, you'll be at the equivalent location in the new sector, you move from a corner/edge and again you'll be at the equivalent location in the new sector.

~snip~

As stuff rotates it gets more like this.

~snip~

When they are not aligned you get some problems because while your perception of the locations of things in other sectors is actually fine, the transition spots do not change except for when the borders between sectors change. This happens to the extent that when things are perfectly aligned it all works fine but as the cubes rotate more and more then your perceived path to the object in another sector becomes more and more distorted/offset.

~snip~

This being what actually happens when you try to get to places based on what you can actually see.

~snip~

This probably isn't going to help anyone get around the issue, but hopefully it helps people understand. If this turns out to be horribly wrong with a full and proper explanation elsewhere then by all means please post/link it, I'd love to see what the situation is if this isn't the case.

Hmm... this seems like a sound explanation, but it doesn't explain a few other oddities of the rendering system. For example, I would swear that when you enter a sector sometimes new planets display that were not near you previously - that is, you'll look around and not be able to find whatever you were chasing. Unless planets are drifting through sectors?... Not only that, sometimes the planet is incorrectly displayed as a different color (or something). Anecdote: I flew towards an earth-like, it turned into what looked like a gas giant (white), and then when I got very close it turned out to be earth-like. I suppose this could just be a quirk of the reorienting sectors, though.

• Locked thread