Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Scylo posted:

For Australian fans there are the 7 ODIs in India we can all look forward to ignoring

Just exactly what we need to leave our players mentally exhausted and entirely unprepared for five more tests!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dusty posted:

I can't bring myself to even watch limited overs these days. It's a game for cunts.

Whereas test cricket is a game that just happens to be played by cunts.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

For some reason I thought Michael Clarke had retired from ODIs. If his back is as hosed as people say it is then you'd have thought he would do.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Hyperriker posted:

Just exactly what we need to leave our players mentally exhausted and entirely unprepared for five more tests!!!!

On the contrary, the ODIs will help Wadey, Stevo, Hughesy, and Watto to play their natural game, take their shots and get on top of the bowlers just in time for the Ashes.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Is Ahmed actually good?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Lionel Richie posted:

For some reason I thought Michael Clarke had retired from ODIs. If his back is as hosed as people say it is then you'd have thought he would do.
He won't because hes too selfish a player to let anyone else shine in his absence.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

He's probably not good enough to cause Lyon any loss of sleep, but then again, the selectors seem ready to drop lyon for anyone.

edit: wrong quote.

Unimpressed fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 15, 2013

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Watto is apparently the second in line to the captaincy after Haddin, if the tour game is to be believed.

Good luck with that.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

goatface posted:

Watto is apparently the second in line to the captaincy after Haddin, if the tour game is to be believed.

Good luck with that.

I sorta want this to happen. I'm not quite ready for us to become good again, just yet.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Hyperriker posted:

I'm not quite ready for us to become good again, just yet.

I have some good news.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I have some good news.

*sigh*

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Lionel Richie posted:

I doubt he'll play any ODIs until the World Cup, then he'll retire when we got knocked out in whatever they're calling the stage immediately after the group stage.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...
Speaking of backs, Bresnan's is hosed. Out for the rest of the summer with a stress fracture.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/aug/15/tim-bresnan-stress-fracture-back

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Tremlett in, we can't let the Aussies take the lead in "players with significant back problems"

And also Taylor for KP. Or Bairstow. Or Bell if we want to give the Aussies false hope.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Play the under 19s, just to see what happens.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Let's pick Sam Robson for a laugh

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Painkiller posted:

Speaking of backs, Bresnan's is hosed. Out for the rest of the summer with a stress fracture.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/aug/15/tim-bresnan-stress-fracture-back

won the loving ashes almost single highhandedly with a broken back. what a hardcore warrior

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Mister Chief posted:

Is Ahmed actually good?

I don't think anybody actually knows.

He's already 31 though, so if he is any good they'd better find out quickly.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

thehappyprince posted:

won the loving ashes almost single highhandedly with a broken back. what a hardcore warrior

The guy needs some sort of recognition for his efforts. I think he should be knighted, Sir Dave of Bres has a nice ring to it.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

thehappyprince posted:

The best part was how he won us the first test, what a stellar performance.

pogo
Nov 14, 2003

England's finest <3
It'd be good to give Jimmy a rest as well, he has looked knackered the last couple of tests. We will need him at 100% in the winter.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Anderson's looked shattered since Trent Bridge. Will England want to change half their bowling attack though? As for Australia, we just need to decide on our best batting lineup and just stick with it. Constantly shuffling the deck is not helpful.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
Yeah, at the end of the day the opportunity is there for literally anyone playing shield to step up and not be awful, but they can't seem to manage it. So stick with some guys and see what they can produce.

pogo
Nov 14, 2003

England's finest <3

Shmoses posted:

Anderson's looked shattered since Trent Bridge. Will England want to change half their bowling attack though?

Probably not. Plus, Onions has broken his finger so if they were to change Anderson as well they'd probably need to recall Finn...

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

This is a good opportunity for Finn to get his confidence back with the series won. He could be class if you stopped jerking him around. One bad game and he's out, meanwhile Anderson and Broad have three each and no-one says anything.

edit: 2-138, 2-143, 2-117. Guess which performance warranted dropping?

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 16, 2013

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They guy who had an absolute shocker of a final day and kept letting the pressure off in a tight run chase?

There's some stat about Finn being rubbish if he has to bowl in the fourth innings.

Chemi
Jan 1, 2004

foppish
Finn has stagnated and needs to prove himself at county level before he gets a run in the Test side again. I would play Tremlett or, if he can't manage it, Onions. I've always hoped Tremlett would turn into a McGrath-type bowler, offering line and length with natural bounce. I would give him every opportunity before even considering Finn.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

At any rate, the future of English pace is hosed

Spin too for that matter

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Chemi posted:

Finn has stagnated and needs to prove himself at county level before he gets a run in the Test side again. I would play Tremlett or, if he can't manage it, Onions. I've always hoped Tremlett would turn into a McGrath-type bowler, offering line and length with natural bounce. I would give him every opportunity before even considering Finn.

The two NZ series' were the first full ones he's been allowed to complete since going to Bangladesh 3 years ago. In NZ he did pretty much identically as poorly as Anderson; 10@37 vs 10@39 and then in England he got 8@20 which is excellent. Then he has one bad game and gets dropped and goes and takes 9@19.6 at first class level. Tremlett during the same time took 7@44.6 (in more games) and he's 32. Total nonsense.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

has finn ever taken a wicket with a good ball tho

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

They all count thp.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

technically

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

England under 19s have got a 6'3 15 year old playing for them

edit: loving hell he's already played for the Yorkshire first team as well http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/player/639080.html

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Didn't we talk about Yorkshire playing actual children at the time?

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Oh I mustn't have been paying attention

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

is 6'3 really that impressive for a 15 year old? How much more is he expected to grow?

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Yeah he might just be one of those who's filled out quickly. He looks bigger than Broad, who seems to be forever stuck in the body of a gangly teenager.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Moeen Ali's beard really is amazing.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I bet Jade Dernbach will get a surprise call up for the oval.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Ballance will be the long term replacement for Pietersen when he retires after the next Ashes series, book it.

• Locked thread