Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Menator
Dec 9, 2008

Gatts posted:

EDIT: That's carrying an Alien Queen and an imprisoned Predator...and it crashes into the Robocop statue in Detroit...in the near future.

FTFY

edit: Which is actually a giant robocop robot piloted by robocop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I quite wanna watch this now. If it excises Arnie with the fabulous gay-guy glasses then it's a huge plus. I really liked the ending of T3 also.

I believe the fanedit I'm referring to is The Coming Storm. It's been a few years, though so I may be mixed up. And, yeah, no stupid glasses, no boob growth.

Murder McMurderson
Aug 6, 2005

So... We meet again, Doctor Jones.
Do people really have that much of a problem with the humor in Terminator 3? The whole premise of the Terminator series is so outlandish and silly to begin with. Some of the best moments of Terminator 2 were the comedic moments that humanized the Terminator. Do people have a problem with a Terminator saying "I need a vacation" or "chill out, dickwad"?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Those jokes are grounded in character. "Chill out dickwad" is literally from a bonding scene between him and John, as part of a larger conversation between them, with the scene shifting shortly thereafter to exposition about Miles Dyson.

"Talk to the haaaaand" and the glasses and stuff is just really, really goofy in a way that feels slapped on, rather than built into the scene. They're gags for the sake of gags. The glasses one is terrible because it's just going "HEY REMEMBER THAT ICONIC FUNNY SCENE FROM THE SECOND MOVIE, WELL HERE IT IS BUT SILLIER". The play on expectations (which is what makes the original scene work - you think he's going to just murder the guy, but then he just takes his sunglasses) isn't there. It's just a riff.

That's kind of what's at the heart of T3's problems - it plays as a riff on the idea of a Terminator movie. It's missing those little notes that made the original so wildly new feeling and grounded the second one so well.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
T2 was so great at playing with expectations too since the villain from the first movie becomes the hero, which also helps further the idea that he's an android. T3 didn't really have anything clever going on.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

echronorian posted:

T2 was so great at playing with expectations too since the villain from the first movie becomes the hero, which also helps further the idea that he's an android. T3 didn't really have anything clever going on.

It was so rad watching T2 in the cinema recently with a bunch of people who had never seen it before, and didn't know that Arnie was the good guy this time around. It's hard to put yourself in that frame of mind, but it's honestly a great reveal when T-101 whips out the shotgun from the bouquet of roses and starts going to town on the T-1000. Man, what a loving movie.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Did the marketing hide that aspect well enough that it was an effective surprise? I was 6 when T2 came out so I always knew it as "the one where Arnie's the good guy". It's the kind of thing that's passed out of pop culture references though, so I'm looking forward to completely blindsiding my kids with this or (in an attempt to get this back on track) "I am your father".

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
It wasn't hidden at all if you had an iota of intelligence, they just didn't outright state it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Party Boat posted:

Did the marketing hide that aspect well enough that it was an effective surprise? I was 6 when T2 came out so I always knew it as "the one where Arnie's the good guy". It's the kind of thing that's passed out of pop culture references though, so I'm looking forward to completely blindsiding my kids with this or (in an attempt to get this back on track) "I am your father".

My girlfriend has never seen Star Wars and I don't think she even knows "I am your father", although it's hard to be sure without asking a question that would give it away. I'm looking forward to seeing her reaction at that part. The problem is though, if someone's in their twenties and hasn't seen Star Wars, it's because they have no goddamn interest at all in anything remotely close to what Star Wars is. I think I've finally convinced her to watch the trilogy, but looking over the special edition changes has me nervous now. Good thing Jedi Rocks isn't until the third movie because that's a dealbreaker right there.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

effectual posted:

It wasn't hidden at all if you had an iota of intelligence, they just didn't outright state it.

Surrounding marketing outright stated it. Lots of news shows outright stated Arnold was the good guy.

To advertise the movie (correctly), you first had to not show the T-1000 morph (which the later previews did) to not reveal it was a Terminator, and then never show Arnold with John/Sarah. Disappointing, actually, that this wasn't done since it's a second act reveal in the movie that would have been awesome.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Very few movies can pull off a twist like that with any degree of success thanks to the media and/or supplemental material.

Phantom Menace was spoiled by its own soundtrack track list. "Qui-Gon's Noble End", well, I guess Liam Neeson won't be back for II and III.

The only 2nd/3rd act twist that I've seen successfully executed in recent memory was actually Iron Man 3 The Mandarin was hyped up as a huge threat in all the trailers, Killian showed up for maybe 2 seconds total, then they subvert entirely in the film. They even put out Lego sets depicting a "final battle" between Mandarin and Tony that had people all worried.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Worried about what? Not getting trolled?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The Duck of Death posted:

Worried about what? Not getting trolled?

Worried that the climax of Iron Man 3 would involve the Mandarin tootling around in a super car with a big cannon on the back as the Lego set depicted. (For a bit of context, the lego sets for Avengers sorta kinda gave away some stuff that wasn't in the trailers.)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The actual ending of Iron Man 3 actually fits the rest of the movie thematically, unlike this:

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

God I hope that's a deleted scene on the blu-ray.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

effectual posted:

I was 11 when I first saw them back to back at my neighbors house and until the flower scene it isn't entirely clear. I didn't have a tv so I didn't know what they even were, nerd.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 5, 2013

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I believe a part of T2's production involved Arnold saying he wanted to be a family-friendly character. I can just imagine the derision such an idea would get on the internet today - but James Cameron really pulled it off.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

McDowell posted:

I believe a part of T2's production involved Arnold saying he wanted to be a family-friendly character. I can just imagine the derision such an idea would get on the internet today - but James Cameron really pulled it off.

Yeah, internet denizens these days seem to get pretty mad when media companies decide to market their content to demographics that don't include then. That said, Arnold's character was a lot more interesting in T2 than he was in T1.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

dhamster posted:

Yeah, internet denizens these days seem to get pretty mad when media companies decide to market their content to demographics that don't include then. That said, Arnold's character was a lot more interesting in T2 than he was in T1.

Imagine if Star Wars came out today. You got a villain who needs to wear a respirator at all times, and HAS SWITCHES AND BUTTONS on his chest. A big naked furry monster who communicates in growls, whines, and barks, yet people can understand him. And what's up with that prissy gold robot? Why is he British? And why do he and his beeping buddy have emotions? They're robots! Robot are unemotional!

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I get SO loving MAD when I think about Michael Bay using the sacred Transformers origin story to sell TOYS. And not even sweet collectible figurines with 50 points of articulation.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
"Why the gently caress are they marketing Artemis Fowl (a movie based on a book about a twelve year old I read as a twelve year old) to twelve year olds?"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

The Cameo posted:

Those jokes are grounded in character. "Chill out dickwad" is literally from a bonding scene between him and John, as part of a larger conversation between them, with the scene shifting shortly thereafter to exposition about Miles Dyson.

"Talk to the haaaaand" and the glasses and stuff is just really, really goofy in a way that feels slapped on, rather than built into the scene. They're gags for the sake of gags. The glasses one is terrible because it's just going "HEY REMEMBER THAT ICONIC FUNNY SCENE FROM THE SECOND MOVIE, WELL HERE IT IS BUT SILLIER". The play on expectations (which is what makes the original scene work - you think he's going to just murder the guy, but then he just takes his sunglasses) isn't there. It's just a riff.

That's kind of what's at the heart of T3's problems - it plays as a riff on the idea of a Terminator movie. It's missing those little notes that made the original so wildly new feeling and grounded the second one so well.

"Talk to the hand" is entirely in keeping as a learned response by the terminator and would probably have worked really well in any other context. It's just that the entire gay strip club sequence was a wacky gag.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
My favorite thing about the massive build up to the T2 premiere was all the protests about how violent the film was going to be (not that anyone had seen it yet), backed with the clip of Arnie raising his hand and saying "I swear I won't kill anyone".

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

So, will J.J. cast Greg Grunberg, Victor Garber, and Rachel Nichols for his film?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Davros1 posted:

So, will J.J. cast Greg Grunberg, Victor Garber, and Rachel Nichols for his film?

I'm suddenly immagining Grunberg making his Heroes mind reading/changing face to Jedi Mind Trick people and it's amusing me.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dhamster posted:

I know this is a Star Wars thread, but I can't let this pass. Arnold's character in T1 is perfect. He's a robotic killing machine, and it's the role he was made for. One of the best villains ever to appear on screen.

T2 is almost an entire remake of T1, but now massively influenced by Arnold's then mega-stardom. Thus, he's the good guy and doesn't kill anyone, which I found weak.

T2 is a great movie, but it's not nearly as good as T1.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
There was an ad on TV for the really stupid looking Agents of SHEILD show and it showed all of the different Marvel properties that have now out that all have movies, even sequels and are completely fleshed out. That will be Star Wars in a decade and.. I don't know how to feel about that. Star Wars - Rogue Squadron, Star Wars - Bounty Hunters, Star Wars - Jedi Academy, Star Wars - Mandalorian Tales, Star Wars - Sith Happens, Star Wars - Rouge Squadron, Star Wars - Outer Rim Territories etc etc.

I guess by lucky dip one of these things will feel a bit "Star Wars" and be enjoyable.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Wank posted:

There was an ad on TV for the really stupid looking Agents of SHEILD show and it showed all of the different Marvel properties that have now out that all have movies, even sequels and are completely fleshed out. That will be Star Wars in a decade and.. I don't know how to feel about that.

We don't have blockbusters any more, we don't even have movies. We have franchises.

That said, I'm honestly looking forward to Agents of SHIELD.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
'Gotta crank the spectacle up to 11' - Multinational Media Conglomerate Disney

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

Wank posted:

There was an ad on TV for the really stupid looking Agents of SHEILD show and it showed all of the different Marvel properties that have now out that all have movies, even sequels and are completely fleshed out. That will be Star Wars in a decade and.. I don't know how to feel about that. Star Wars - Rogue Squadron, Star Wars - Bounty Hunters, Star Wars - Jedi Academy, Star Wars - Mandalorian Tales, Star Wars - Sith Happens, Star Wars - Rouge Squadron, Star Wars - Outer Rim Territories etc etc.

I guess by lucky dip one of these things will feel a bit "Star Wars" and be enjoyable.

I approve of this idea.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

redshirt posted:

I know this is a Star Wars thread, but I can't let this pass. Arnold's character in T1 is perfect. He's a robotic killing machine, and it's the role he was made for. One of the best villains ever to appear on screen.

T2 is almost an entire remake of T1, but now massively influenced by Arnold's then mega-stardom. Thus, he's the good guy and doesn't kill anyone, which I found weak.

T2 is a great movie, but it's not nearly as good as T1.

I will contribute to the temporary derail by agreeing that "Hero Terminator" is what made T2 and every succeeding film less than the original.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The terminator's characterization in one was hella inconsistent. One second he's a low functioning autist while dealing with some street punks the next he is doing a perfect impersonation of Sarah's mom.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, we know that the terminator's brain is a neural net processor -- a leahning computah. So maybe it comes out of the time portal knowing only whatever basic rudiments of human behavior SKYNET understands, then rapidly updates its mannerisms and abilities to suit its environment after it's interacted with a number of humans.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
It didn't need to deal with the punks in any empathatic way.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Sith Happens posted:

I approve of this idea.

I was kind of thinking a 80s style sitcom where a bumbling Admiral Piett needs to keep things on the Executor running smoothly as Darth Vader's ideas and commands get more and more crazy and laborious. Hijinks ensue as Piett tries to avoid being chocked to death by Vader as his (dis)loyal subordinates keep the pressure on. Each episode ends with Vader and Piett in some compromising position borne out of Piett's actions and a close up on his exasperated face as he says "Sith Happens" *laugh track*

EDIT - Ha! I completely missed your username. :blush:

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

Stairmaster posted:

The terminator's characterization in one was hella inconsistent. One second he's a low functioning autist while dealing with some street punks the next he is doing a perfect impersonation of Sarah's mom.

I always liked how after Sarah shoots the liquid terminator it impales her before making a "I don't think so no no" hand gesture, for a killing machine that sure was sadist.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Wank posted:

I was kind of thinking a 80s style sitcom where a bumbling Admiral Piett needs to keep things on the Executor running smoothly as Darth Vader's ideas and commands get more and more crazy and laborious. Hijinks ensue as Piett tries to avoid being chocked to death by Vader as his (dis)loyal subordinates keep the pressure on. Each episode ends with Vader and Piett in some compromising position borne out of Piett's actions and a close up on his exasperated face as he says "Sith Happens" *laugh track*

EDIT - Ha! I completely missed your username. :blush:

poo poo , i'd watch atleast a season of that! Sounds like the kind of dumb poo poo i sometimes like.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SirDrone posted:

I always liked how after Sarah shoots the liquid terminator it impales her before making a "I don't think so no no" hand gesture, for a killing machine that sure was sadist.

He was pretending to be a cop for most of the movie - he just was staying in character.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

SirDrone posted:

He started malfuctioning at that point - freezing, exploding, and coming back together messed him up. It's the only reason they "won" - he started behaving like a "person" as opposed to perfectly rationally, which made it start making mistakes. It's evident in the actual movie but far more obvious in the extended edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWaAZCaQXdo

"He arrived knowing nothing of himself. Who is he? Soon you will know. Because of what was begins with the water shall end there and what ends there will once more begin. This is what happens when men become lost, men vanish, men are erased and reborn."

Sounds like Max von Sydow? Not saying it has anything to do with Star Wars but I wouldn't be surprised.

• Locked thread