Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

I bet Jade Dernbach will get a surprise call up for the oval.

It wouldn't be any dumber than selecting him for other forms. I might have to stop following cricket if that happens on account of my :suicide:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Alastair Cook is a monster.

quote:

When Mollie Ovenden went to watch England retain the Ashes, she never thought the team captain would retain something of hers.

The eight-year-old went to see England play at Old Trafford on Monday with her dad Steve, mum Kirsten, and six-year-old sister Isobel, and was lucky enough to meet Alastair Cook, the England captain, after the match.

Mollie was kind enough to lend Alastair her bright yellow York Maze pen, which the cricket star seemed to like so much that he decided to keep it to sign more autographs.

This is worse than KP & "Textgate" IMO

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He's going to spend the entire first day hiding in the dressing room now.

Chemi
Jan 1, 2004

foppish

serious gaylord posted:

I bet Jade Dernbach will get a surprise call up for the oval.
You're not allowed to joke about things like that.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Lionel Richie posted:

England under 19s have got a 6'3 15 year old playing for them

edit: loving hell he's already played for the Yorkshire first team as well http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/player/639080.html

Sounds like another 21 year old with chronic back/joint injury problems in the making

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
pre:
14.4  Kerrigan to Warner, OUT
      DA Warner st †Buttler b Kerrigan 35 (59m 46b 5x4 0x6) SR: 76.08
It's ok, he really got on top of that bowling.

pre:
17.1  Plunkett to Cowan, OUT
      EJM Cowan c †Buttler b Plunkett 17 (69m 47b 1x4 0x6) SR: 36.17
He didn't.

goatface fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Aug 17, 2013

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Northamptonshire have just demolished Essex after Essex looked like winning. 2 overs and 37 runs later however.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
pre:
29.5  Harris to Watson, OUT
      SR Watson c Plunkett b Harris 45 (44m 44b 8x4 1x6) SR: 102.27
Well, he couldn't get to 50, but at least he wasn't out LBW.

This tour game is p much "every Australian fulfils expectations of them".

Chemi
Jan 1, 2004

foppish
Gary Ballance has a really very good average in FC cricket. Not sure about him as an athlete though

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
And now they're 160/6

Good show chaps, nice tour game to get your confidence back.

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.
Just going to point out that at nominal full strength, Yorkshire's first XI probably reads Root, Lees, Gale, Ballance, Bairstow, Rashid, Bresnan, Plunkett, Sidebottom, Patterson, Brooks. You have to get down to Patterson at 10 before you find somebody who hasn't played for either England or England Lions now.

There is, ah, a slight issue with the fact that we'll only have five of those players available for the next County Championship game, though. At least assuming the England Lions team doesn't change from the current one (featuring Lees, Ballance and Plunkett - it's possible that it may contain fewer Yorkshire players when the Lions games clash with a weekend Yorkshire are actually playing on, or it might not, because gently caress the ECB).

In COMPLETELY UNRELATED news, I think Bairstow's had a long enough run in the England side for now; he needs to do some more work with his county. Give Taylor a go.

But seriously, I think it absolutely does devalue the county championship that a county that's done what the ECB wants and banked heavily on developing young, England-qualified cricketers (OK, and Liam Plunkett. I have no idea why the Lions have picked Plunkett), is rewarded by having over a third of the side stripped away from them for the purposes of playing against loving Bangladesh A, a side who have so far lost to Worcestershire, Nottinghamshire and Lancashire - we're hardly talking top-level international competition here, are we? I mean, they keep losing to counties, so how can the standard possibly be higher than in the county championship?

Ilanin fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 17, 2013

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

New favourite player https://twitter.com/bbctms/status/368814577292554242

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hah, 55 off four overs.

I'm kind of surprised Australia haven't called up Cameron White yet. It would fit well with their air of desperation.

edit - Oh, he's Peter Willey's kid.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
His interview on Sky after getting out was really funny. Said Dernbach was giving him some chat before the rain break so he went out after the resumption aiming to embarrass him and teach him a lesson.

Result - Dernbach 4-0-55-0

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I don't know why; but there's something more enjoyable about English T20 cricket when compared to the IPL/BBL shite - its actually watchable!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Surrey are hosed.

Which is always good.

Feral Jesus
Oct 9, 2003
Pity he couldn't bowl to Dernbach for his hattrick but i'll take it

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Classic. gently caress off Dernbach.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That was a pretty good match for Willey, he can be happy with that one. Even if it is only T20.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Good work Jade Dernbach sledging the dude who goes on to smash it out of the park and get a hattrick, that is Mitchell Johnson tier

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

That Australia tour match... Someone even asked Lehman if there would be a batting limit for batsmen given there was a 100 over a side limit. He, realistically, replied that Australia don't really have that problem right now, and that if a batsman can bat 100 overs, let them.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2013/content/story/663015.html?CMP=chrome

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Ahh, Shane Watson, the consummate team man.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/cricket/confusion-reigns-for-ring-in-captain-shane-watson/story-e6frg7rx-1226699329376

Shane Watson posted:

Whether there was some significance in the fact that Phil Hughes came in at three here, Khawaja's batting position in the last three Tests, while Khawaja batted at six not even Watson knew. Usually the captain finalises the batting order but not on this occasion.

"I'm the wrong person to ask that question. I have absolutely no idea," laughed Watson, who had the order handed to him by the two tour selectors, coach Darren Lehmann and Rod Marsh. "I'm a ring-in captain so I have no idea. I'm told where we're all to bat and we moved on."

And how did he interpret Hughes' promotion to three?

"I know not to interpret things. It might get me into trouble."

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Watson is just the dumbest motherfucker I have ever known to wear the baggy green

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
England squad for last test is out. Bairstow is playing again, as they've called up an uncapped spinner (Kerrigan) and Chris "Warwickshire" Woakes.

Joy.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

tarbrush posted:

England squad for last test is out. Bairstow is playing again, as they've called up an uncapped spinner (Kerrigan) and Chris "Warwickshire" Woakes.

Joy.

lol couldnt make it up

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Woakes. loving hell.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

To be fair to him, he's a much better first-class bowler than he is limited overs bowler. His consistent line and length is a disadvantage in ODIs, but could be very effective in tests. I mean, his List A average is 34.65 with an economy of 5.51, so god knows why he is ever picked for ODIs, but his first class average is just over 25 in 82 matches and he's always bowled well for the Lions when picked.

I'd rather have Tremlett of course, but in T20 finals day he just didn't look fit to me and that was only bowling four over spells.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 18, 2013

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I don't think Tremlett really tries 100% in county cricket anymore.

Chemi
Jan 1, 2004

foppish
Kerrigan is a good call though. England need to think about who is going to take over from Swann eventually.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

it's rashid

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Fortunately for me, Bresnan isnt playing

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

what a post/username combination. Intentional?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Guess who's broken again?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/663427.html?CMP=chrome

Poor kid can't catch a break. Is he just hosed up or do the Aussie medical staff have something to answer for? Maybe they should get in touch with Essendon football club?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
His action is hosed. The first time I saw him bowl when he was 19 I though 'that kid gonna get stress fractures'

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
It's all Simon Katich's fault. The article says "he has not played a Sheffield Shield match since March 2011." That was the Shield final, in which he bowled about a million overs. I remember at the time being concerned that a 19 year old quick was bowling so many overs, that it could cause an injury.

drat it.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
I'd much rather he grow in to his body for a few years than grind himself further in to the dust trying to salvage the mess our batsmen make of things.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

So according to this article, since the start of the 2009 Ashes Australia have given test debuts to 24 players, versus England debuting 13 in that time despite playing more matches.

Roll of Honour posted:

Graham Manou (1), Clint McKay (1), Ryan Harris (15), Tim Paine (4), Steven Smith (11), Peter George (1), Xavier Doherty (4), Michael Beer (2), Usman Khawaja (9), Trent Copeland (3), Nathan Lyon (24), Shaun Marsh (7), Pat Cummins (1), James Pattinson (12), Mitchell Starc (11), David Warner (21), Ed Cowan (18), Matthew Wade (12), Rob Quiney (2), John Hastings (1), Jackson Bird (3), Moises Henriques (3), Glenn Maxwell (2), and last but not least, Ashton Agar (2).

I didn't even know who John Hastings was until reading this article and looking him up on Cricinfo, but yep he apparently played a test in 2012.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 19, 2013

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He's an out-and-out quick, right?

He might be one of the unfortunates who could fix his action so it doesn't cripple him, but only by dropping his pace.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

tanglewood1420 posted:

So according to this article, since the start of the 2009 Ashes Australia have given test debuts to 24 players, versus England debuting 13 in that time despite playing more matches.

I didn't even know who John Hastings was until reading this article and looking him up on Cricinfo, but yep he apparently played a test in 2012.

Can't believe some of the names on that list. Shaun Marsh played 7 tests lol. Lyon playing 24 is crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

tanglewood1420 posted:

I can't even remember Peter George lol. And Manou has been retired from all cricket for a few years now.

• Locked thread