Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Germstore posted:

My wife has one. They were pretty popular last year. Off the top of my head, Borgore wore one in the video for Decisions, and Connie Britton wore one in Seeking a Friend for the End of the World.

So those types of hats were initially designed for children with autism. The idea is that it was a nice, colorful character that they could bond with and the head tails have pockets for them to put their hands in. The pocket interior was a different texture than the rest of the unit to allow the child something to fixate on when it felt like it was going to freak out.

BIG loving SURPRISE! The nerd community latches on to a device to assist in autistic therapy and use it as a fashion statement.
Sometimes I really hate having nerdy hobbies because of the people usually associated with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Twat McTwatterson posted:

Why the coke nail? :barf:

:cry: Thanks for reminding me that every single day I stumble with guys with cock nails. Several coke nails. Creepy nails. Mexican public transport sucks.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Maybe they play classical guitar?

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

So those types of hats were initially designed for children with autism. The idea is that it was a nice, colorful character that they could bond with and the head tails have pockets for them to put their hands in. The pocket interior was a different texture than the rest of the unit to allow the child something to fixate on when it felt like it was going to freak out.

BIG loving SURPRISE! The nerd community latches on to a device to assist in autistic therapy and use it as a fashion statement.
Sometimes I really hate having nerdy hobbies because of the people usually associated with them.

Is this seriously true? Because that's hilarious.

What I find weird is people who wear them in summer. I saw a couple of people with them last winter on campus and they looked like a neat variant on every other hat people wear to not lose ears in -30 degree weather. But they must be hot as gently caress during the summer.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Cordyceps Headache posted:

Nope.

They were created as a fun way to raise awareness in endangered species, and some percentage of profits go to charities for said endangered species.

There seem to be a LOT of people that are *really* butthurt about their existance though, for some reason, which is kind of awkward in itself once people start writing editorials about how people should be arrested for having fun.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

^^^^
Dunno about those but i know that the head-tail animal hats started as something else; at least in my experience.

Cordyceps Headache posted:

What I find weird is people who wear them in summer. I saw a couple of people with them last winter on campus and they looked like a neat variant on every other hat people wear to not lose ears in -30 degree weather. But they must be hot as gently caress during the summer.

Yeah, I'm being serious. I remember seeing the prototype when I was auditing a developmental education course several years ago. The idea behind the hats is sound and has helped a lot of kids with spectrum disorders.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Inzombiac posted:

Do you got to church Bratwurst?(or something similar)
No I'm an Atheist.
Oh so you are one of those people

:argh:

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

On the topic of 'lol dutch people' from a few pages back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXiJcFVds0E

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Krowley posted:

Jfc that site, just close this thread already we're done here.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Inzombiac posted:

I always thought of that as more of a hipster thing than a nerd thing. Anyways isn't it better that more people are wearing them as far as reducing stigma goes? Otherwise you'd know anyone wearing one was autistic.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Inzombiac posted:

So why is it bad that something that was designed to help people with autism is being normalized through popular fashion and subculture acceptance? I would think it better that Orlando Bloom is wearing one so that an autistic kid can get the benefit of wearing it and not stick out quite so much.

But I'm not in developmental education. Maybe it's important to ensure something that helps autistic people is also never accepted in normal society? :shrug:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Because how will we tell who's a dirty autistic or not? Can we settle for calling them dirty hipsters?? :qq:

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Pretty sure these have been sold at raves and music festivals for at least 15 years? I think it's just something that's gained more general visibility with more people attending large festival-style concerts where vendors sell them.

You sound pretty mad about some beanies though, might wanna get that checked out.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

I have no idea how that happens. Just, like, your body shouldn't sag like that, man.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Pretty sure these have been sold at raves and music festivals for at least 15 years? I think it's just something that's gained more general visibility with more people attending large festival-style concerts where vendors sell them.

You sound pretty mad about some beanies though, might wanna get that checked out.

Alright, this is good stuff, let me write this down so I can remember which clothing accessories we're allowed to hate. So far, I've figured out that fedoras are supposed to send you into a flying rage and that transitions are probably a bad idea as well. Those animal hats, on the other hand, are totally cool and if you complain about them you're probably some kind of frustrated loser.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Krowley posted:

Oh god this is like a lost scene from Pink Flamingos or something. But it's real life. gently caress.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Twat McTwatterson posted:

Why the coke nail? :barf:

I've run into a few guys who do the coke nail thing as a way to make it easier to pick up things like coins off counters and stuff rather than for actually doing coke. And yes, they were usually kind of weird (or really old).

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

I've run into a few guys who do the coke nail thing as a way to make it easier to pick up things like coins off counters and stuff rather than for actually doing coke. And yes, they were usually kind of weird (or really old).

I also think some guitarists do poo poo like that, at least one of my guitarist friends does.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

nutranurse posted:

I also think some guitarists do poo poo like that, at least one of my guitarist friends does.

Classical guitarists have longer fingernails on one hand so they can pick the strings. The other hand's nails would be cut normally. It's basically necessary if you're playing that kind of style. Not quite as trivial as using it to pick change up from a countertop.

Edit: And when you're a serious enough player to grow your fingernails out, you're also serious enough to keep them immaculate and clean. Because otherwise it would ruin the sound. So it's not gross.

stratdax has a new favorite as of 18:07 on Aug 17, 2013

Happyhappy
Oct 9, 2012
Classical Guitarists tend to do it but they do it with every finger but the pinky since you don't finger pick with it.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Happyhappy posted:

every finger but the pinky since you don't finger pick with it.

That's for boogers.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

newreply.php posted:

That's Billy Bobby Wayne Kenny Joe "Skeeter" Ratliff-Snyder-Davis IV, of the famous family of elementary school bullies. He made a fortune by reinvesting lunch money, and now divides his time between his vacation home in the Hamptons and giving chocolate swirlies to the guys who run Goldman Sachs.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SybilVimes posted:

Nope.

They were created as a fun way to raise awareness in endangered species, and some percentage of profits go to charities for said endangered species.

There seem to be a LOT of people that are *really* butthurt about their existance though, for some reason, which is kind of awkward in itself once people start writing editorials about how people should be arrested for having fun.

She actually quoted the bible to explain why those hats are wrong.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

NoneMoreNegative posted:

That's for boogers.

In Greece, there's people who cut every nail but the one on the pinky so that they can more easily dig into their ear.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

newreply.php posted:

Head of a child, body of a fat woman with small boobs. Most unfortunate.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

nutranurse posted:

I have no idea how that happens. Just, like, your body shouldn't sag like that, man.

A panniculus. It's where his particular fat cells enjoy congregating. It makes his moobs look like pert little things in comparison. (Or is it only the right moob, and the left has been lopped off for some reason?)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Image searching "grade 5 panniculus" is pretty magical.

:nms::nws::nms::nws:

Yes, that is belly fat hanging down to that person's shins. You have all been warned. :stonklol:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
GIS + panniculus = :psyboom:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Phlegmish posted:

Alright, this is good stuff, let me write this down so I can remember which clothing accessories we're allowed to hate. So far, I've figured out that fedoras are supposed to send you into a flying rage and that transitions are probably a bad idea as well. Those animal hats, on the other hand, are totally cool and if you complain about them you're probably some kind of frustrated loser.

I don't know...the spirit hoods look cute as a winter accessory.

Now, how about this?

They were selling them where I live in some lovely store downtown. I still have to catch someone wearing one.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

stratdax posted:

Classical guitarists have longer fingernails on one hand so they can pick the strings. The other hand's nails would be cut normally. It's basically necessary if you're playing that kind of style. Not quite as trivial as using it to pick change up from a countertop.

Edit: And when you're a serious enough player to grow your fingernails out, you're also serious enough to keep them immaculate and clean. Because otherwise it would ruin the sound. So it's not gross.

Well, he's not entirely clean (his girlfriend keeps him within acceptable standards though, why she puts up with it I do not know), but he is a classical guitarist, so that makes sense!

I guess the next time I see him I'll oogle his fingers to see if they're clean. :v:

Anais Nun
Apr 21, 2010

Serperoth posted:

In Greece, there's people who cut every nail but the one on the pinky so that they can more easily dig into their ear.

It's this, isn't it? Oh God.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Volume posted:

She actually quoted the bible to explain why those hats are wrong.

Well, she said she was quoting the bible, but she was actually quoting C.S. Lewis, and misquoting him at that - she left out the final bit about also giving up the desire to not be childish.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Phlegmish posted:

Is this the first time you've been introduced to the concept of popular fashion, or…?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

User-Friendly posted:

Is this the first time you've been introduced to the concept of popular fashion, or…?

How come my jeans shorts are lame and dorky but cutoff jeans made into shorts are cool and hip!?

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Moddington posted:

Well, she said she was quoting the bible, but she was actually quoting C.S. Lewis, and misquoting him at that - she left out the final bit about also giving up the desire to not be childish.

That really is from the Bible though. The "final bit" is the part Lewis added, which seems in keeping with his epic fan fiction approach to Christianity.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

Krowley posted:

Sorry, the Russians have the best jams.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D0X6qOHpzLM&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DD0X6qOHpzLM

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
I can't help but read this as "bunniculus" and entertained myself for a while imagining a Roman vampire bunny. :3: But then I looked at the very next post and reality came crashing in on me. :gonk:

Charles Bronson
Sep 16, 2010

Serperoth posted:

Where did you see this? Because my parents are from Greece and I've spent a lot of time over there and have never seen or heard of this. Maybe it's a regional thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

newreply.php posted:

If I hadn't seen the second picture I would have assumed that this was just a normal-looking twelve year old kid.

• Locked thread