Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I actually used to keep my phone with it, a flip-phone in fact. Mystery solved perhaps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

They did that last game though :(

I didn't play the last game ( or anything Nintendo for 15 years ) so this is all pleasantly refreshing.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Really stupid question: Does using the 3D drain the battery any faster?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Cyra posted:

Really stupid question: Does using the 3D drain the battery any faster?

Yep, quite a bit faster.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

I've noticed there are some games that will kill it worse during standby

Pokemon b/w/2 are pretty awful if you leave the wifi on

Dec 26, 2012

RStar posted:

Am I the only one who didn't love Fire Emblem? I enjoyed Etrian Odyssey and SMT4 far more, and this is coming from a guy who's favorite genre is srpg's.

Once I used those orbs that level up your character class to the better classes, I just quit caring. I'm assuming you can just keep leveling up to 10 and then using them and there's some sort of bonus for that?

I don't know. It must be a lot deeper than I saw it to be, because I just don't get the love for it.

It's pretty out of whack compared to the rest of the series as far as a lot of things. I can understand not liking it for sure, I'm hoping they do something more traditional next time around but given how much Awakening sold I'm not in the least confident this is going to happen.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

RStar posted:

Am I the only one who didn't love Fire Emblem? I enjoyed Etrian Odyssey and SMT4 far more, and this is coming from a guy who's favorite genre is srpg's.

Once I used those orbs that level up your character class to the better classes, I just quit caring. I'm assuming you can just keep leveling up to 10 and then using them and there's some sort of bonus for that?

I don't know. It must be a lot deeper than I saw it to be, because I just don't get the love for it.

The older ones were harder because you had a lot more scarcity to deal with - the first one released in English didn't have extra maps to grind on or extra always-available shops to buy new weapons when your poo poo broke. Plus, you had a total of 40 possible experience levels per character, none of this multiple-reclassing poo poo. This meant the game was really finicky and difficult at parts if you wanted to do everything and keep everyone alive.

FE:A mitigates all these problems (which I think is a great thing, really) but in doing so removes the vast majority of the challenge in the game. You can Second Seal units over and over again for ridiculous stat gains really early in the game, and all of the challenge maps dump cash on you. Combine that with the ability to trigger a fight anywhere for a measly 500 gold and the game is just completely trivial. It just kind of exposes that without all of the annoyances and seeming restrictions on the prior entries, the game is pretty shallow overall.

I'm still having a blast with it, personally - it's a great game to just chill and play while watching TV or whatever. I never would have been able to do that in the GBA entries.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Honestly if you find FE:A boring or too easy you should play on Hard Classic and avoid all DLC (and maybe also stuff like Reeking Boxes). That might give you something more your speed.

SgtKirby
Nov 19, 2012
I have been wondering.... Those new streetpass games, does it require the other person to actually own those games or you can use their Miis right away?

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

SgtKirby posted:

I have been wondering.... Those new streetpass games, does it require the other person to actually own those games or you can use their Miis right away?
They are just like Find Mii in that you can still use Streetpassed Miis even if they have never played the games, but there are extra things in the new games if they have played them.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Slightly Toasted posted:

I've noticed there are some games that will kill it worse during standby

Pokemon b/w/2 are pretty awful if you leave the wifi on

Fifth gen Pokemon had that weird proto-Street Pass thing going on, it'd kill a DS lite battery pretty quick too.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

SgtKirby posted:

People who have played the army game will have actual substantial army sizes for you to fight and beat to add to your forces, where people who haven't played it just transfer the direct number of their Streetpass Plaza Miis, which isn't much even with big numbers.

Also, people playing the garden game can show you their gardens and what they're actually growing instead of something random. There's no benefit in Mii Force/Haunted Mansion that I'm aware of, besides people in Haunted Mansion appearing with their weapons on their backs.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ryoshi posted:

The older ones were harder because you had a lot more scarcity to deal with - the first one released in English didn't have extra maps to grind on or extra always-available shops to buy new weapons when your poo poo broke. Plus, you had a total of 40 possible experience levels per character, none of this multiple-reclassing poo poo. This meant the game was really finicky and difficult at parts if you wanted to do everything and keep everyone alive.

FE:A mitigates all these problems (which I think is a great thing, really) but in doing so removes the vast majority of the challenge in the game. You can Second Seal units over and over again for ridiculous stat gains really early in the game, and all of the challenge maps dump cash on you. Combine that with the ability to trigger a fight anywhere for a measly 500 gold and the game is just completely trivial. It just kind of exposes that without all of the annoyances and seeming restrictions on the prior entries, the game is pretty shallow overall.

I'm still having a blast with it, personally - it's a great game to just chill and play while watching TV or whatever. I never would have been able to do that in the GBA entries.

If Reeking Boxes are costing you 500 gold then you're playing on normal. Normal is a snoozefest. Play on Hard (Classic or Casual). Reeking boxes will cost you 1500 gold there. Might be more your style.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gently caress that poo poo, you want a challenge? Play on Lunatic. That'll get you your strategy fix. :getin:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Pollyanna posted:

gently caress that poo poo, you want a challenge? Play on Lunatic. That'll get you your strategy fix. :getin:

Tried that with the demo. Got my rear end handed to me on the first stage. No way is anyone that autistic enough to play on that skill mode, especially with perma-deaths.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Rexroom posted:

Tried that with the demo. Got my rear end handed to me on the first stage. No way is anyone that autistic enough to play on that skill mode, especially with perma-deaths.

I played through it on Classic, I'm not autistic. You even get a "harder" difficulty as your reward.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

I played through it on Classic, I'm not autistic. You even get a "harder" difficulty as your reward.
Sorry, Rexroom has officially diagnosed with you autism. Dr. Rexroom with his amazing breakthrough in diagnosing a mental disorder - getting kids to play a video game.

An aged doctor shakes his head at an anxious mother. "This sounds worse than it is, but... your son just beat chapter seven."

The mother weeps.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Rexroom posted:

Anyone better at videogames than me must be a sperg!:mad:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The thing about lunatic is that there's only a very small handful of moves and characters that are actually viable. To beat the first two chapters especially, I think there's only a single set of moves you can make that will lead to success, and even then you can still get screwed over if an enemy gets a lucky crit.

It's less about "strategy" and more about the patience involved in figuring out what moves the game wants you to make. Only a few characters will be usable since there's really no way to grind them up; barring a few pre-promotes you're going to be using the characters you get early on in the game because nobody else is going to be able to gain any kind of XP without getting murdered.

Awakening is a fun game, but much of the depth to it is in the reclassing system, which utterly trivializes the entire game outside of a few DLCs.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Endorph posted:

Sorry, Rexroom has officially diagnosed with you autism. Dr. Rexroom with his amazing breakthrough in diagnosing a mental disorder - getting kids to play a video game.

That's right, I participated on an online course on obsessive autism and have (printed) certificates to prove it!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Rexroom posted:

That's right, I participated on an online course on obsessive autism and have (printed) certificates to prove it!

Show them to us then.

As far as Awakening goes, I'd say Hard is a viable choice of difficulty if you want challenge. That said, Lunatic is fine.

Lunatic+ on the other hand... :suicide:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Folt The Bolt posted:

Show them to us then.

I'd show you, but since I'm not obsessively autistic I haven't filed them in an obsessively orderly fashion so can't pull them out without searching thru the piles for hours.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

If Reeking Boxes are costing you 500 gold then you're playing on normal. Normal is a snoozefest. Play on Hard (Classic or Casual). Reeking boxes will cost you 1500 gold there. Might be more your style.
Pretty sure they cost 4800 on Hard, actually. Makes it so there's really no way to profit off them unless you're using them on really late stages.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rexroom posted:

I'd show you, but since I'm not obsessively autistic I haven't filed them in an obsessively orderly fashion so can't pull them out without searching thru the piles for hours.
You know, for someone without a disorder that causes someone to become hyper focused, you seem really hyper focused on autism.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Can someone sum up what kind of game Attack of the Friday Monsters is?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Commissar Ken posted:

Are you laying it near a phone? I notice that if I hold my phone and 3DS in the same hand, like if i'm carrying a lot of stuff and I just hold them together, that the phone causes the 3DS to come out of sleep mode even if it's closed.

I drained my entire 3DS battery by having my iPad Mini next to it in my backpack. i thought I was going crazy because I heard game sounds, sure enough if you set the 3DS on top of the iPad at just the right spot it will cause it to turn on even if the lid is closed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

Can someone sum up what kind of game Attack of the Friday Monsters is?
It isn't really much of a game. You talk to people, you play out a cute little story. The only real 'gameplay' comes in the form of a little card game. A review described it as 'virtual tourism' and that's pretty accurate. For its price I thought it was a cute diversion, but if you want a game with actual, well, game to it, look elsewhere. The card game isn't all that complex, it's basically just rock paper scissors with some rules added on.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Also it's worth noting that certain games don't have a proper sleep mode, like Animal Crossing for instance, and will just turn off the screens while still running the game.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Hace posted:

Also it's worth noting that certain games don't have a proper sleep mode, like Animal Crossing for instance, and will just turn off the screens while still running the game.

This is only true if you leave your gate open for friends to visit.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Hace posted:

Wasn't BlazBlue the only game not to have it for whatever reason?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Travis343 posted:

This is only true if you leave your gate open for friends to visit.

Are you sure? I thought it still simulated certain parts of the game in real time, or something like that.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Hace posted:

Are you sure? I thought it still simulated certain parts of the game in real time, or something like that.

The clock keeps running, but it doesn't move things while the lid is closed. If you leave the system shut for a long period of time you can open it up and see the sun set in a quarter of a second as it turns to evening. Neighbors who were standing near your character when you closed it will still be there, so it's not running the entire game while it's asleep.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Help! I turned my 3DS off after a good ol' session of SMTIV and then... the blue light refuses to go off.

Am I screwed? :(

e: That did it! Thanks! It's actually the first time in almost 1 year that it did anything of this sort. Since my fun 'n games PC is down, the 3DS is basically the one thing that keeps me from going nuts (being a recording engineer for metal bands will do that to you).

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 19, 2013

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Wark Say posted:

Help! I turned my 3DS off after a good ol' session of SMTIV and then... the blue light refuses to go off.

Am I screwed? :(

It's not really off. Hold the power button down until it goes off. If it only happens once every in a while it's probably nothing to worry about. If it keeps happening you might have a problem.

RStar
Aug 18, 2013

Anyone at all use the 3D function anymore?

I tried it on Street Fighter briefly when I first got one, but it didn't last long.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

RStar posted:

I tried it on Street Fighter briefly when I first got one, but it didn't last long.

I haven't used my 3D since I got it because it only works when I have it at the perfect angle witch happens to be uncomfortable, and ends up hurting my eyes. Still love the system, so no great loss to me.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I love playing games in 3D. :shobon:

Well there's a few exceptions. If I'm only half paying attention to a game and also using the internet or something, I'll keep it off because constantly shifting my gaze makes it rough to keep the 3D in focus. Also there's one type of 3D that's atrociously bad but I can't really explain it or what games I remember having it. I know there's a bit of it in Shin Megami Tensei-- most of the 3D in that game looks great but occasionally there's a cutscene of sorts where it was clearly made in 2D and then they attempted to convert it to 3D and it's awful. You can't gradually change the 3D depth in it; it's either on or off no matter where you set the slider.

I think Monster Hunter was like this? Or at least some parts? I really can't remember.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

RStar posted:

I tend to use the 3D for like the first hour or so of playing a game then I stop turning it on. The only exceptions are if the game looks particularly good with it on (but this doesn't happen for a lot of games) or if the game has cutscenes in which case I'll always turn the 3D on to watch them then turn it off when I get back to the game.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

RStar posted:

From various forums when people ask this question I've noticed its about equal.

It depends on the game for me, about 50% of my use is 3D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Kaubocks posted:

I love playing games in 3D. :shobon:

Well there's a few exceptions. If I'm only half paying attention to a game and also using the internet or something, I'll keep it off because constantly shifting my gaze makes it rough to keep the 3D in focus. Also there's one type of 3D that's atrociously bad but I can't really explain it or what games I remember having it. I know there's a bit of it in Shin Megami Tensei-- most of the 3D in that game looks great but occasionally there's a cutscene of sorts where it was clearly made in 2D and then they attempted to convert it to 3D and it's awful. You can't gradually change the 3D depth in it; it's either on or off no matter where you set the slider.

I think Monster Hunter was like this? Or at least some parts? I really can't remember.

MonHun has a problem with rendering text. If the 3D is enabled in game settings, but the slider is set to OFF, the text is kinda garbley and unpleasant to look at.

• Locked thread