Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I haven't paid any attention to the whole AGDQ Games Topic thing because I knew poo poo like this was going to be said, but it's worthwhile to point out that Uyama shot down puwexil's FF game despite him being both a good friend and also SDA staff. Really, though, I don't think a lot of folks appreciate how tough it is to make these decisions, and making snarky accusations of nepotism is really unfair, especially when he also goes out of his way to feature the big names from SRL and make sure that their site gets its fair share of plugs, too.

He shot down every FF game so that doesn't prove anything.

Its just a first draft anyway. Its just something I've noticed through out the years, I could be way off base, I hope I am honestly, regardless its just my opinion. As for the SRL thing, without SRL none of this poo poo would happen, SRL completely dwarfs SDA at this point, he needs them a lot more than they need him so obviously he's gonna plug their site, its beneficial to the health of the marathon.

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Mike always admits he doesn't bat 1.000 when picking and choosing games. He spoke about this on his SGDQ recap with regards to Pilotwings 64 being a huge success and initially it was a game he cut and only a lot of community action got it added. He takes a mess of unwarranted poo poo from people on this stuff and rarely gets the credit for the enormous effort he undertakes.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Crotch Bat posted:

Mike always admits he doesn't bat 1.000 when picking and choosing games. He spoke about this on his SGDQ recap with regards to Pilotwings 64 being a huge success and initially it was a game he cut and only a lot of community action got it added. He takes a mess of unwarranted poo poo from people on this stuff and rarely gets the credit for the enormous effort he undertakes.

I just wish the pick and choose was a bit more transparent, he says he consults with others but as far as any casual viewer sees its just one guy saying yes or no.

I guess I should clarify, mad props to him for making this happen yearly, its an incredible undertaking, I don't take issue with that at all, I'm just talking about this here specifically, the pick and choose of what gets it and what does not.

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 18, 2013

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Well, he could post chatlogs I guess? And if a runner really wants to reason with him he can approach him. He doesn't say who he gets opinions from (it's a few people) since he doesn't want people to hassle them. Hell I found out someone I knew weighed his opinions sometimes and I really wanted to tell him "hey put this in."

Though I totally got Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines back on the list (though it's not 100% in)

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Aren't breakdown and romscout in on that decision making scene? Least that's what I'd heard over the years but who knows. I can see a need for transparency but all that would end up doing is having someone being pissed at ____ instead of just blaming Mike like everyone already does.

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.

Alteisen posted:

Its just a first draft anyway. Its just something I've noticed through out the years, I could be way off base, I hope I am honestly, regardless its just my opinion. As for the SRL thing, without SRL none of this poo poo would happen, SRL completely dwarfs SDA at this point, he needs them a lot more than they need him so obviously he's gonna plug their site, its beneficial to the health of the marathon.

Alt, I love you like a brother man, but this SRL>SDA shits gotta stop. The fact of the matter is, SRL and SDA are sister sites with very close ties. While there's certainly people who don't really frequent one or the other, and theres even a few people who would lead you to believe there is some kind of feud (spoilers: there isn't), a lot of people use both sites, and a lot. Trihex, spikevegeta, mike89, adam_ak, and countless others use both sites. Hell, the primary figureheads of both sites, Cosmo and Uyama (even if he is technically retired from the site proper) both have their streams come up both on SDA and SRL. I myself would probably be listed on SRL if racing wasn't an absolute requirement for the site.

As far as Uyama's friends getting runs, I can tell you that's not how it works. Uyama has plenty of pals in the community who won't get runs. He has plenty of people he doesn't like at all who will. If you want me to say that past marathon performances don't influence his decisions, I'm not going to lie, they do. But to say that it's just because they are his pals is silly; they are the people who have showed up, put sweat and blood into the marathons, and put on a good show.

And saying without SRL none of this would happen is ridiculous. SDA has been around for a lot longer than SRL, and marathons happened before SRL. The scale might not be the same, but if you think this wouldn't be happening, you are crazy.

MURPHAGATOR! fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 18, 2013

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well I've never thought the sites had a rivalry to be honest.

But I understand what you're saying and I appreciate sharing knowledge I didn't know. I rescind my comments regarding nepotism but I'll leave them up of course, would be pretty cowardly of me to delete them.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Uznare posted:

The speedrun uses a specific seed so there's not as much randomness as BoI but it can probably still end up being just as much of a trainwreck.

Who runs it, and are there videos?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

MURPHAGATOR! posted:

As far as Uyama's friends getting runs, I can tell you that's not how it works. Uyama has plenty of pals in the community who won't get runs. He has plenty of people he doesn't like at all who will. If you want me to say that past marathon performances don't influence his decisions, I'm not going to lie, they do. But to say that it's just because they are his pals is silly; they are the people who have showed up, put sweat and blood into the marathons, and put on a good show.

Yeah I buddied up a lot with Uyama at SGDQ, and only got one run in (of the popular, well-known FPS), and my indie crap all got denied. Like if Uyama was really going to buddy up I'd have 2-5 runs in. I think with the first page he accepted a lot, but plans to cut the list down.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

End of Life Guy posted:

Who runs it, and are there videos?

The spreadsheet says Bismuth who appears to be this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BismuthWasTaken

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
These are some... interesting HL2 settings on the Happy Tails stream.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

After watching his record run I gotta say, I think it'll be fine in the marathon. It makes heavy use of a glitch(people enjoy seeing and/or learning these) and a fun way to beat the boss. It's also under 20 minutes which means you're not really sinking a lot of time into a game with the potential for a lot of RNG.

He needs a little archery work but I don't see anyway this will drift into Rane's BoI territory.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
24 Hours Of Zelda would make for an interesting marathon on its own terms, but probably not so good as a part of a larger marathon.

And that reminds me, I wish I had a better image of this, it was paste-up + piece of graffiti near my old apartment and a small distance away from a locally-owned video game store that liked doing "viral" stuff:

The googly-eye effect is unfortunately lost in the extremely bad cellphone photo.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Here's a better topic than bitching about Uyama (which we've all done before): do you think that AGDQ14 can surpass the money raised this year?

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Given that the attention the games topic got almost lit the SDA forum server on fire, I'll be shocked out of my mind if it doesn't.

I don't think seven figures is unrealistic.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Peanut President posted:

The spreadsheet says Bismuth who appears to be this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BismuthWasTaken

Thanks for this. His Minecraft video is poo poo quality, but really interesting.

For a non-randomized world, he made quite a few wrong turns. Someone who doesn't mind grinding for a few days can smash that record.

Coyote Smith
Mar 26, 2010

Alteisen posted:

Actually no FF games being accepted proves a lot. Every marathon people tout FF as a must have since "it brings in the donations". Not having a FF game this agdq is huge since it opens up so much time for other games. Also if you look at the current list, you can see many games being offered by Uyama himself, but I can assure you that most of them if not all will not make it to the final cut. If Mike has to make room for a game, his game is the first to go.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Coyote Smith posted:

Actually no FF games being accepted proves a lot. Every marathon people tout FF as a must have since "it brings in the donations". Not having a FF game this agdq is huge since it opens up so much time for other games. Also if you look at the current list, you can see many games being offered by Uyama himself, but I can assure you that most of them if not all will not make it to the final cut. If Mike has to make room for a game, his game is the first to go.

Uyama has three games listed and two of them are co-op. Are you confusing him with someone else?

All of you should stop making these broad overgeneralizions about the schedule when it doesn't even exist yet. "There's no final fantasy" is very different than, you know, actually reading the reasons each individual one was declined (all of which make sense!).

The part that people can't really come to terms with is that one person (assisted by others) chooses what goes into the marathon. This isn't really a problem. But of course, most declined games are going to make some group of people unhappy. I do think having a small group (bigger than 3-4 people) would make the decision process better, but no matter what you choose to do, many people will speak out that it's unfair or stupid, because ultimately it's just other people's opinions.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Keyboard Kid posted:

Uyama has three games listed and two of them are co-op. Are you confusing him with someone else?

Uh, yeah. That's what he said. Unless you are disputing that three is a bunch of games.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
Big 7 runner Dark Souls race setting up now: http://www.multitwitch.tv/noobest/hantzo/azorae/santzo84/vviking/k4tz/m1_account

edit: SRL link http://speedrunslive.com/race/?id=41d11

Bovineicide fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 18, 2013

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Dr. Stab posted:

Uh, yeah. That's what he said. Unless you are disputing that three is a bunch of games.

3 Is actually a lot, even if it's shorter games. Uyama is willing to nix his own games and a lot of this will come down to what theoretically makes money. Of the games that are on the list, I recognize like 90% of them even if only by name, and I think the end goal is to have a list where most of the games will be recognizable to just about anyone who watches, and still appealing to people who have watched the marathon in the past.

Uyama doesn't seem to know a lot of games, and oddly enough, that's a good thing. Since if he recognizes it there's a higher chance that most casual viewers recognize it. Though sometimes when he doesn't know a game and neither do the people he consults it can be rough (I think people are learning that if Uyama says he doesn't know something, they can go ahead and tell him).

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
He does say "I don't know this game, can you show me a video" for some of the stuff he doesn't know but he thinks might still be a possibility.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also since I've educated myself a little, be sure to let Uyama know about a specific game, he'll reconsider if enough people ask him, its how Pilotwings got in and to a lesser extent Nier, Nier was put because Robosparkle dropped out but also because a lot of people bothered Mike about it.

So if people want Cvagts Suikos or TTYD, let him know.

Now that I think about wouldn't Suiko have mountains of name incentives?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Technically Blue 151 has 151 name incentives, that doesn't mean there should be 151 name incentives. It's hard to track, and kills competition. Now if there are like 6 name suggestions that's very different and people will fight over it. Sometimes that's too many though

Coyote Smith
Mar 26, 2010

Keyboard Kid posted:

Looking at the google doc again it looks like Mike already cut out some of his games that he put up a day ago. There used to be two of his megaman zero games on the list and Power shovel was not listed as a co-op with Brossentia earlier either.

Also I have no idea what you are trying to say about final fantasy but it doesn't really matter.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
5upamayne is absolutely cursed with this pokemon yellow run.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Now that I think about wouldn't Suiko have mountains of name incentives?

No because you can only name the main character and the castle. But there are also donation incentive ideas such as any% vs. 100%, or any% vs. any% glitchless, or fighting bosses in any%/100%, or recruiting optional characters in any%, and possibly donating to use certain characters.

There's not a mountain of incentives but there are quite a few options available, more than most of the other RPGs that have been offered.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Someone donate to call the Suikoden castle Castle Vania, I've tapped out my donation budget. Thanks :)

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
It IS a Konami game, and there IS a section of the game dedicated to fighting a vampire.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Hyassin just got 1:43.37 on VC Super Mario 64.
He's going after the 70 star record now. Hyassin's splits are for 49:24; Siglemic's 70 star record on N64 is 49:09 and VC is 48:45.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

TSSB is live with Klaige and Romscout talking Castlevania: Bloodlines!

http://www.twitch.tv/thesundaysequencebreak

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo
Zoast is up 18 seconds on his any% PB after the gold 4, on the way to Tourian now:

http://www.twitch.tv/zoasty

EDIT: Missed the baby metroid skip :(

BlueArmyMan fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 19, 2013

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

BlueArmyMan posted:

Zoast is up 18 seconds on his any% PB after the gold 4, on the way to Tourian now:

Good going dude

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

BlueArmyMan posted:

EDIT: Missed the baby metroid skip :(
That's some powerful jinxing, man. :(

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

hitze posted:

Good going dude

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

That's some powerful jinxing, man. :(

Yeah :(

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

I was watching for about 5 seconds before it happened :haw:

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

hitze posted:

I was watching for about 5 seconds before it happened :haw:

It looking so solid, too. Tourian got ripped apart, and the skip looked sewed up. Then zoast came out of spin jump a tad too early, and got caught :(

SevenStringGuru
Jun 6, 2003

Bob Loblaw Law covers all injuries, including those sustained while trying to 4x4 a segway.
yah, his run was tight and that drat metroid had to grab him. Really felt the 'umph' when I saw Samus get grabbed. drat, so close. But, he will be back!

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Has Happy Tails made more than $3k? They seem yo have taken off their donation tracker. There did not seem to be very many coming in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

kaujot posted:

Has Happy Tails made more than $3k? They seem yo have taken off their donation tracker. There did not seem to be very many coming in.
They must have, right? They were at like 2.6k during Legend of the Wizard or whatever that cool Falcom NES game was last night.

• Locked thread