Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarkol
Oct 15, 2012
Does anyone have the original description for Dark Souls from when it first came on Steam? I want to read about shadow dwarves and social eggs again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Tarkol posted:

Does anyone have the original description for Dark Souls from when it first came on Steam? I want to read about shadow dwarves and social eggs again.

A huge mess posted:

Dark Souls is an upcoming action role-playing game from the developers who brought you Demon’s Souls, FromSoftware. Dark Souls will have many familiar features: A dark fantasy universe, tense dungeon crawling, fearsome enemy encounters and unique online interactions. Dark Souls is a spiritual successor to Demon’s, not a sequel. Prepare for a new, despair-inducing world, with a vast, fully-explorable horizon and vertically-oriented landforms. Prepare for a new, mysterious story, centered around the King’s Crowns and the original, now dying flame at the center of the world. But most of all, prepare to die. You will face countless murderous traps, countless darkly grotesque monsters and several gargantuan, supremely powerful demons and dragons. You must learn from death to persist through this unforgiving world. And you aren’t alone. Dark Souls allows the spirits of other players to show up in your world, so you can learn from their deaths and they can learn from yours. New to Dark Souls is Beacon Fire, where you can share the experiences of your adventure with the spirits of other players. Around the Beacon Fire, you may find the only warmth and calm that exists in this dark world. Beware: There is no place in Dark Souls that is truly safe. With days of game play and an even more punishing difficulty level, Dark Souls will be the most deeply challenging game you play this year. Can you live through a million deaths and earn your legacy?

You are thrust into the world of demons, where those humans with the Dark Ring are sent to succumb and transform into the living dead. Darkness reigns. The one original flame now nests in the core of this world, all but dead. The demons have conquered the immortal dragons and all across their world, lay the decrepit signs of their rule. Dark Souls carries on the dark fantasy themes that you love, but this is a new, open world; One that is vast, with seamlessly-connected dungeons. Whatever you can see, you’ll be able to reach and explore. Land formations are more complex and vertically-oriented, so prepare to travel and battle on the great heights of the world.
Prepare to die! You may get scorched alive or bludgeoned by a giant pendulum scythe or impaled by an arrow through the heart. The traps in Dark Souls are bound to kill you.You can connect to the online community and participate in the journeys of other real players. Watch the deaths of other players and learn from their mistakes. Find and leave messages, warning of perilous spots. New to Dark Souls, you can gather with other players at the Beacon Fire and share your trials and tribulations.
If you hope to ever reach the King’s Crowns, you must carefully equip yourself. Your success will depend upon your choice of armor, number of weapons, types of weapons and moves attached to the weapons you choose.There are many new types of weapons and armors in Dark Souls. Another addition to Dark Souls is strategic sword play, which will aid you in destroying the monsters and undead hordes that stand in your way.

You will face many unique, despair-inducing monsters. Survival means accepting you will die, learning from death and overcoming the ultimate challenge to reclaim your soul.The demons who rule this world gain their extraordinary power from the King’s Crowns. To retrieve the King’s Crowns and reach the flame of the world, you will have to face the White King Gwen and his knights, the witch Izarith and her evil daughters, the first dead, Nit, and the immortal and nameless shadow dwarves.
When you begin this adventure, you are soulless. You must emerge from the abyss to reclaim your soul in order to reach the land of the living. Make social connections, win games, find eggs and solve riddles—and increase your soul energy until you get your entire spiritual essence back. The gauge at the bottom of your dashboard numerically measures the amount of soul energy you have earned. Check your gauge each day to keep track of how much soul energy you have. Do your best to get your numbers high enough so you can say once and for all: Be gone, evil forces, my soul is mine and I am alive!

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I don't follow - that sounds perfectly fine to me? I check my dashboard gauge every day to make sure i can get my numbers high and if that's wrong, i don't want to be right. :colbert:

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 19, 2013

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

So that's where the thread title comes from.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Are there 5 or 6 eggs between the last beacon fire and Nit? I thought I got the last one when I dropped onto that ledge with the 3 shadow dwarves and the bludgeoning scythes but my soul energy gauge is still only like 63% and the wiki says I should be able to get at least 70% by now. Is this one of those things where I have to come back after I get more King's Crowns?

fake edit: I only linked my facebook profile the other day so most of my friends haven't had a chance to click the links I sent them so I only have a few pendants. Is that why my spiritual essence is so low?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So unless the servers get switched to Steam, Dark Souls on the PC won't be playable online anymore when July 1st 2014 rolls around.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/pc-games/age-of-empires-online-info

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Holy hell. I really loving hope FROM/anyone ports the online to steam, but I don't think it will happen.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Rirse posted:

So unless the servers get switched to Steam, Dark Souls on the PC won't be playable online anymore when July 1st 2014 rolls around.

Where does it say that? That link is for age of empires online.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
It says GFWL will be discontinued.

e: well, it did say it on the link, but apparently it's removed now!

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Lazy Programming posted:

Where does it say that? That link is for age of empires online.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Gotcha covered.

From the main Steam thread.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Maybe Dark Souls 2 will be so good we won't care :D

McGrady
Jun 27, 2003

The greatest lurker of all the lower class lurkers.
College Slice
This GFWL bullshit is why developers should not use online solutions by obsolete companies. I hope someone manages to hack in a matchmaking replacement for it.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Wasn't the stated reason that FROM went with the infrastructure they did was because they thought the various services would stay alive for longer than if they had their own server?

Oh, how ironic.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I really really loathe blighttown.

I keep getting pushed off by enemies or poisoned and then swarmed by mosquitoes.

But the really worst part is that once you get all the way down to the swamp. there is no bonfire.
So I started carefully walking around, grabbed some items and then went up the water mill thingie.
On top I look around and suddenly a mosquito comes from absolutely out of nowhere and pushes me off with its stupid bloodsplash. Dead.
Result: start all the way at the top.

That is just wrong.

Actually it took all my self control not to swear like a madman just now in this post.
This part is just plain frustrating. I died more here than alltogether before.

Also: at the bottom I don't know what to do next... I mean there is this hive like thing in the distance but I don't want to go there...

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Well if it makes you feel any better there is a bonfire in the swamp. Also, go to the hive thing.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Wrist Watch posted:

So that's where the thread title comes from.
For what its worth, I really, really like the saying. It feels just weirdly archaic and unique, and the order in which it comes makes the emphasis on "my soul is mine" being more important than actually being alive. Definitely a good tagline.

edit: ^^^^^ You're playing Dark Souls, man! If you see a giant hive thing in the distance, why on earth wouldn't you head there! Sure, you're going to die, but that's okay! :v:

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Hopper posted:

But the really worst part is that once you get all the way down to the swamp. there is no bonfire.

There totally is, you just missed it. It's inside the sewer pipe thing, halfway between where the rickety wooden platforms lead down to the swamp, and where the giant wheeley elevator is.

And yes, the hive thing is your next goal.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

For what its worth, I really, really like the saying. It feels just weirdly archaic and unique, and the order in which it comes makes the emphasis on "my soul is mine" being more important than actually being alive. Definitely a good tagline.

edit: ^^^^^ You're playing Dark Souls, man! If you see a giant hive thing in the distance, why on earth wouldn't you head there! Sure, you're going to die, but that's okay! :v:

But I haven't found a close enough bonfire yet...

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Elman posted:

So how much Vit and Endurance should I aim for on a heavy armored guy? I want to use Str weapons and Miracles but I wouldn't want to be a slow moving, low HP pincushion either. I'm at 24 Str (For the man-serpent sword) and 30 Faith or so right now. Maybe I should stop leveling Str and focus on Faith, with an Occult weapon?
Aiming for ~30-40 Vit/End by the end of your run is pretty typical. You can also shoot for above 40 Vit if you want to, and above 40 End if you need extra equip burden to roll faster.

Also, you're at 24 Str, that's only a few levels from max two handed Str scaling, so it's not really worth going for an occult weapon as your main weapon. Maybe as a backup one if you need it.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Hopper posted:

I really really loathe blighttown.

I keep getting pushed off by enemies or poisoned and then swarmed by mosquitoes.

Depending on what weapon you are using mosquitoes can be a huge pain. Throwing knives are really good against them. A bow works too if you don't have knives.

For some reason people seem to miss the blighttown bonfire a lot. I died a few times in the swamp before finding it and I think a goon said he used the great hollow one while trying quelaag his first playthrough.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Another small blessing is that any of those toxic dart assholes you kill never respawn. The one that pelts you shortly after the first bonfire is a huge rear end in a top hat (because his character model wouldn't even SHOW UP from the distance he was sniping) but if I recall correctly, there's a ladder that leads up to him right before the wooden paths lead to the cave that contains the whip. Also, near the bonfire but before you reach the two dogs, there's a ladder that goes up. Climb it, then jump across to a platform only slightly below, and you can find a ninja set that offers some good poison resistance. That ought to let you at least take one dart safely.

My first time in there, I was still running around in my dinky-dink starting sorcerer set and I never found the spider shield. I also forgot to bring moss! A single toxic dart was an instant death sentence and it was frustrating as all hell. Now that I've played through the game a few times, I can jog through it like it's no big deal. :v: But there was a point where I honestly considered making a new character because I thought I was trapped.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Hopper posted:

But I haven't found a close enough bonfire yet...

When you get to the 'ground' level turn right then hug the wall for a while. If you make it to the waterwheel you've gone too far.

E:

LtSmash posted:

For some reason people seem to miss the blighttown bonfire a lot. I died a few times in the swamp before finding it and I think a goon said he used the great hollow one while trying quelaag his first playthrough.

That was me. Got cursed, too. Basically the worst place in the game for that to happen. Limitless despair if it happens before you know about the path back to firelink.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Two questions.

1. What's the actual strength requirement on the Dragonslayer Bow? I'm assuming it's actually twenty instead of the lower amount that comes with two handing?

2. How do I actually open the Lost Izaleth shortcut? I've gotten the Chaos Servant covenant to +2, but the elevator does nothing. If I join another covenant before I actually do Lost Izaleth, will I be able to help Solaire?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Blighttown got way easier when I realized there was a corpse with three blooming purple moss clumps right at the beginning. Nowadays I don't bother with the valley of drakes shotcut--its not like I'm going to skip the gaping dragon, and I know blighttown well enough it's faster for me to just go down it than go all the way back and in the shortcut.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Galick posted:

Two questions.

1. What's the actual strength requirement on the Dragonslayer Bow? I'm assuming it's actually twenty instead of the lower amount that comes with two handing?

2. How do I actually open the Lost Izaleth shortcut? I've gotten the Chaos Servant covenant to +2, but the elevator does nothing. If I join another covenant before I actually do Lost Izaleth, will I be able to help Solaire?
The shortcut isn't that elevator. That elevator activates after you get to its other destination after beating the area boss. The Izalith shortcut is in that broken hallway to the right of the boss fog door in Demon Ruins. There's a wall at the end that you can interact with if you're Chaos Servant+2. As long as you've opened the wall and dealt with the bugs before going into Izalith proper, you should be fine.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

If I fail to summon someone once, should I assume it will always fail to summon that person and not bother trying again on their sign?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

LibbyM posted:

If I fail to summon someone once, should I assume it will always fail to summon that person and not bother trying again on their sign?

No, after a certain amount of time you may start passing packets. For instance, without DSCFix, when you try to connect with a friend you might see your friend's sign for 20 minutes before being able to actually connect.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009

Galick posted:

Since bows can only be used two-handed, their requirements are listed with that in mind
Similarly, bows reach the softcap for strength scaling at 27 strength.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Did New Londo with my current char. Third Darkwraith I kill drops a titanite slab and I three king the four kings. Sometimes Dark Souls is kind to us.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Rirse posted:

From Software already responded to the change, and when MS deleted the AoE update, FROM deleted their response:

So far FROM are the only devs who've actually said anything directly on the topic, though a few other GFWL games have seen some patches relating to Steamworks over the past few months.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

gtrmp posted:

From Software already responded to the change, and when MS deleted the AoE update, FROM deleted their response:

So far FROM are the only devs who've actually said anything directly on the topic, though a few other GFWL games have seen some patches relating to Steamworks over the past few months.

This would make the PC version pretty much the best version.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

gtrmp posted:

I assume this will also mean an end to the CE era. I'm gonna miss being able to dick around with the game in the best/worst ways possible.

Hopefully more stable online interactions is the trade-off.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
I doubt the actual matchmaking system will be affected - they're not going to buy servers for a two-year-old game less than a year before the sequel launches. It might be a lot easier to get hackers banned, though.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Cernunnos posted:

I assume this will also mean an end to the CE era. I'm gonna miss being able to dick around with the game in the best/worst ways possible.

Hopefully more stable online interactions is the trade-off.

I'm not sure why people assume Steamworks automatically means VAC. It does not. Civilization V uses Steamworks but no VAC, for example.

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare has VAC and you run into plenty of people who do things like simultaneously attack everyone on the server from unlimited range. There's even recent posts in the topic complaining about it.

So, ah... don't get your hopes up... or down for that matter.

They also know that there's a good shot it will break DSFix. Could you imagine the uproar if people got banned over DSFix? Or the mouse fix? Keep in mind that FROM has still not patched the PC version to remove stat drains (which would be dirt simple to do, no lie), so I doubt they'll patch in DSFix's graphical features.

Finally, wasn't there a Steam-less disc version that was released? I seem to recall that. Did that box have both Steam and GFWL codes?

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 20, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahahah, where the hell did this come from?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That was the game's original Steam store page description.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's right there, so I get that, but where the gently caress did all this come from? It's like the plot got babelfished a few times.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Maybe others know, but I just figured this out. I never rated messages, because I thought it was a pain in the rear end to do so (Use my orange soapstone, select rate message while it's nearby, etc.)

But you don't have to do that. While viewing the message, you can hit the gesture button and it will pop up the window to rate the message. Wow. I feel dumb, now. :(

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

SynthOrange posted:

It's right there, so I get that, but where the gently caress did all this come from? It's like the plot got babelfished a few times.

YOU DEFEATED

DelphiAegis posted:

Maybe others know, but I just figured this out. I never rated messages, because I thought it was a pain in the rear end to do so (Use my orange soapstone, select rate message while it's nearby, etc.)

But you don't have to do that. While viewing the message, you can hit the gesture button and it will pop up the window to rate the message. Wow. I feel dumb, now. :(

In DeS you used to be able to rate the last message you read, even if you were nowhere near it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

gtrmp posted:

I hate to burst your bubble but that's fake as hell, whoever faked it took the top post on the facebook page and used it as the base.

• Locked thread