Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Given that soldiers are so customizable, I wish that SHIVs were a little more customizable, both in abilities and more cosmetic stuff like name/appearance. Being able to take, say, one core ability of a class (run-n-gun / healing-or-smoke / explosions / squadsight) instead of being heavy-lite would make them much more attractive to actually take on missions.

Not to mention that I can't name them SEX ROBOT or ED-E or paint them to match my garish murder squad :(

VVV If there's one thing that playing WoW taught me, it's that these guys would be way more durable if they had more elaborate pauldrons. VVV

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Muscle Tracer posted:

Given that soldiers are so customizable, I wish that SHIVs were a little more customizable, both in abilities and more cosmetic stuff like name/appearance. Being able to take, say, one core ability of a class (run-n-gun / healing-or-smoke / explosions / squadsight) instead of being heavy-lite would make them much more attractive to actually take on missions.

Talking about customization, if EW stood for Endless Wardrobe, I'd still be super excited. Guess I have brain problems!

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Andre Banzai posted:

Talking about customization, if EW stood for Endless Wardrobe, I'd still be super excited. Guess I have brain problems!
XCOM Enemy Without (hats). :colbert:
It's either going to be an alternate story campaign where you have to steal all the headwear from the aliens, or just new animation for people in cover doing the Safety Dance.

In other news, I was doing really well on my attempt to do a classic run without losing any country. I had 100% satellite coverage, plasma on everyone and had cleared the base.
This time I didn't play Ironman after a series of cat/keyboard related issues, and a number of nasty teleport bugs.
And then it decided to crash, and delete all of the recent saves, rolling the game back three months. :negative:

I'm... I'm not feeling like playing XCOM EU for a while now. :smith:

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Groetgaffel posted:

And then it decided to crash, and delete all of the recent saves, rolling the game back three months. :negative:

I'm... I'm not feeling like playing XCOM EU for a while now. :smith:

Man, that sucks... that must feel like smacking the living poo poo out of yourself, doing 297 points of damage. I'm speculating here.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

XCOM Earwig.

The alien threat has already infiltrated our world, and the combat missions consist of breaking into people's attics with fumigation equipment.

MechPlasma
Jan 30, 2013
XCOM Elobster Wmen.

I'm telling you man, electronic lobster women! It's guaranteed to happen eventually!

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Andre Banzai posted:

Man, that sucks... that must feel like smacking the living poo poo out of yourself, doing 297 points of damage. I'm speculating here.
Yeah pretty much. I haven't had any issues with saves before now, then again, I always played Ironman.
I really hope this new mystery DLC includes bugfixes, because aliens shooting you to through three walls, while you don't have LOS on them is infuriating on Ironman. Aliens teleporting is much less of an issue than some of the bizarre LOS bugs, but can still gently caress you up bad if you're unlucky.
Well I guess it was time to take a few days off XCOM anyway. :smith:

(The title and the avatar are both from Fallout Tactics. Specifically a super mutant in my multiplayer team where I first used the name Groetgaffel. Jinxed and a rocket launcher often led to hilarious results. Little did I know that that Jinxed would come back and haunt a totally different TBS.)

MechPlasma posted:

XCOM Elobster Wmen.

I'm telling you man, electronic lobster women! It's guaranteed to happen eventually!
No no, it's XCOM Electronic old Women.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I think it'll be cool to see Firaxis let loose creating a fresh new roster of their own alien designs, whatever the exact setting.

And I want an alloy firing sniper rifle; green clashes with the orange.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Just started my most recent I/I run and the first map that comes up was the bridge where you only have cars for cover and most of them are only half. Thanks to some aggressive sprinting and a fair helping of luck, I got through.

Next map was Murder Street. :shepicide:

Welp, time to start the next I/I run.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

ulmont posted:

I love SHIVs. Not that I ever spend any effort researching for them, and not that they ever are really worth a drat. But having one completely expendable unit on a mission that just goes "BANZAI!" and charges the enemy is hilarious.

I would be more inclined to use them if they had a comedy stat that made the aliens fall down and start laughing at you for a turn because you took one. :v:

1stGear posted:

Just started my most recent I/I run and the first map that comes up was the bridge where you only have cars for cover and most of them are only half. Thanks to some aggressive sprinting and a fair helping of luck, I got through.

Next map was Murder Street. :shepicide:

Welp, time to start the next I/I run.

Yay I/I! :unsmith:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

ulmont posted:

I love SHIVs. Not that I ever spend any effort researching for them, and not that they ever are really worth a drat. But having one completely expendable unit on a mission that just goes "BANZAI!" and charges the enemy is hilarious.

I like to treat SHIVs like the aliens treat Chrysallids and Berserkers and Cyberdiscs. No need for cover, just charge them into hardened positions and force them to respond, either killing it asap, or fall back into a less defensible position, or else eat point blank heavy weapon shots into the face.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

I never use SHIVs. Sure, they may be arguably better than a rookie or a squaddie, but I can't put a red shirt on it and give it an arc thrower.
E: Not even a red paintjob to make it go faster.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Anybody keep a soldier with a light plasma rifle once regular ones become available? With a scope, 20% is nothing to scoff at. I've never done this, but I'm not the best or more creative of players.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I give everyone LPRs on council missions. Thin men will always be loving assholes, but at least they'll never get more HP.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Anybody keep a soldier with a light plasma rifle once regular ones become available? With a scope, 20% is nothing to scoff at. I've never done this, but I'm not the best or more creative of players.

My Supports use Light Plasma Rifle, as well as my Rookies/Squaddies (any class). The aim boost is very, very useful.

MechPlasma
Jan 30, 2013

Groetgaffel posted:

I really hope this new mystery DLC includes bugfixes
Haha, yeah. I'm sure this time they'll fix the big bugs! We just gotta believe!

Rinkles posted:

At no point in my XCOM career have I ever equipped anyone with a LPR. Why you'd even research it is beyond me.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

MechPlasma posted:

At no point in my XCOM career have I ever equipped anyone with a LPR. Why you'd even research it is beyond me.
Because if you start capturing aliens early, and apply Arc Throwers liberally to Thin Men, Outsiders, and Floaters you get free laser rifles with +10 aim while you're still in the laser stage.

E: To expand on this a bit; the LPR has, aside from the aim bonus, identical stats to a laser rifle.
That is what it should be compared to, not the full size plasma rifle.
If you can using LPRs instead of laser rifles on everyone until you get Mutons with full-size guns to steal, do that.
The guns are objectively superior, and stunning the Thin Men for them to experience what Vahlen has in store for them is exactly what those assholes deserve.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 20, 2013

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

^^e:That too

MechPlasma posted:

In my case, because I hadn't researched it in my previous game and was curious. I don't know if it's quite worth the research time, but it's not a bad weapon. Accuracy's a pretty big deal.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MechPlasma posted:

Haha, yeah. I'm sure this time they'll fix the big bugs! We just gotta believe!

Because they're good on rookies, who can't hit poo poo.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Andre Banzai posted:

My Supports use Light Plasma Rifle, as well as my Rookies/Squaddies (any class). The aim boost is very, very useful.
If I have an assault, I'll equip them with an LPR unless I have Alloy Cannons for constant rapid firing. They're not worth going out of your way for, but you can grab them off Mutons when they first appear to pretty good effect. It also happens to unlock the plasma weapon research without having to capture a plasma rifle, which can speed up the process to plasma.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Pomp posted:

Because they're good on rookies, who can't hit poo poo.
That's why you give them explosives.
At least after you've captured all the guns you need for the moment and don't have the same need for disposable walking Arc Throwers.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Long War trip report #2. Grenades are no longer useful for anything beyond clearing cover. If you take more than 2 grenades you are a fool who is going to lose because you foolishly thought throwing a grenade at 2 HP sectoid hiding behind a burning car was going to prevent you from getting shot in the face.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Nephilm posted:

And seconding above poster, losing 10 soldiers across a classic campaign is plenty, amazing you lost 40. I guess we can attribute it to your unconventional tactics of trying to use SHIVs as if they were better than real soldiers? Consider squadsight snipers.

S.J. posted:

I beat I/C the second time I tried it and I think I only lost like 5 dudes. I dunno how you managed to get to fifteen much less forty. Musta been a nasty RNG.

These are making me feel bad, as I'm finally working my way through classic ironman and (I think) winning. I think I've lost close to 40 soldiers in total now, have had a couple full wipes and have been maintaining by throwing squads of all rookies into every mission. I've only lost two countries (Brazil and Mexico, screw 'em) and have satellites up on every other country.

What I've learned from this run....

Plasma is a must-have item. I went from 4-5 loses every mission to 1-2 loses when I upgraded.
SHIVs are worth their weight in gold when you are fielding low-rank squads.
If you add 30% to your hit chance, that is the enemy hit chance. I can't tell you how many times troops would be OSK from miles away while in full cover :smith:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

wolfman101 posted:

Long War trip report #2. Grenades are no longer useful for anything beyond clearing cover. If you take more than 2 grenades you are a fool who is going to lose because you foolishly thought throwing a grenade at 2 HP sectoid hiding behind a burning car was going to prevent you from getting shot in the face.

Wait, why, what happens when you try to throw grenades? Do you get shot at during the throwing animation?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Wait, why, what happens when you try to throw grenades? Do you get shot at during the throwing animation?

Grenades no longer have static damage. They do a range of damage much like shooting something.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

How did my newly promoted Sgt. Duncan MacLeod not automatically get the nickname Highlander? I don't usually change the nicknames but come on!

And I like LPRs when I need to start integrating a rookie or 2 into a squad to get their stats up. Getting guns for free is a bonus.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Coolguye posted:

Grenades no longer have static damage. They do a range of damage much like shooting something.

Oh. I sort of wish that "damage roulette" applied some damage ranges to explosives, too. I'd gladly take grenades that may do 2 or 3 points of damage if they may also do 5 or 6.

Doobie Keebler posted:

How did my newly promoted Sgt. Duncan MacLeod not automatically get the nickname Highlander? I don't usually change the nicknames but come on!

I don't know, but my super black soldier got the nickname "Congo" which made me think there were some jerks in my team.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

wolfman101 posted:

Agreed. Laser Sights and Plate all the way. Also, Grenades don't even remove UFO walls anymore.

amanasleep fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 20, 2013

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I disagree with the above. They're less for sure kills now, but I do a lot of cover-clearing, plus what damage they do is handy in case of bullshit 1 damage rifle bursts. Also, yes, they can do up to 5 damage.

I bring an engineer and crossload 2/3 other soldiers with them. The only major downside is you don't get salvage if you explode things, neither fragments nor corpses, so grenade happy can bone you in terms of dosh.

Rockets are also a bit more tempramental as well, they generally do more damage but you need to get a close enough hit. Which is iffy. Still, spamming a half dozen rockets paid dividends in my latest Terror mission... got mobbed by over a dozen zombies on turn 2. Just glad the others were too busy munching on civilians.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Phobophilia posted:

I give everyone LPRs on council missions. Thin men will always be loving assholes, but at least they'll never get more HP.

I can't wait until they announce armored thin men in the new xpac.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

oswald ownenstein posted:

I can't wait until they announce armored thin men in the new xpac.

Chryssalids with thin men riding on them

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

S.J. posted:

Chryssalids with thin men riding on them
UFO Defense Chryssalids. Wearing stolen Thin Men suits.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Chryssalids were inside you all along.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Doobie Keebler posted:

I'm gonna guess the first person who said "There can be only one," got two fingers in response. Alternatively, they got decapitated. "Nae quickenin' then? Dinna think this were holy ground."

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I've finally admitted defeat and am going to give up on trying vanilla Impossible Ironman. There's only so much good tactics and planning can do for you when sectoids can one-shot guys in full cover from across the map at whim.

Do Steam achievements still work when mods are installed? I'm going to at least put Implassic on to maintain some of my dignity.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Oh. I sort of wish that "damage roulette" applied some damage ranges to explosives, too. I'd gladly take grenades that may do 2 or 3 points of damage if they may also do 5 or 6.

Long War grenades do 1-5 damage.

Also, cars no longer explode reliably once they are on fire. I have seen cars burn for 5 turns before exploding. I have also thrown 3 grenades at a burning car and it still wouldn't explode.

The variable car explosions is probably worse than the crazy variation on everything. It is bad enough that cover is generally too sparse in XCOM, but then half the cover will turn into ticking time bombs for probably 2/3 of the firefight.

I do enjoy that Long War shakes things up in a not completely terrible way though.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

It will, by the way, never stop pissing me off that explosives only deny you weapon fragments if you actually kill the alien with them. If that explosive is powerful enough to blow up your plasma gun now, it should have been powerful enough to do so, thereby disarming you, back when you had 10 health, you goofy-looking fucker :colbert:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

1stGear posted:

Do Steam achievements still work when mods are installed? I'm going to at least put Implassic on to maintain some of my dignity.

Yes. I've been playing with Warspace Extension and getting achievements still.

wolfman101 posted:

Long War grenades do 1-5 damage.

Yeah, that's what we were talking about and what made me wish that "damage roulette" did the same thing.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

An Alien(TM) ripoff would be pretty cool. You've got 3 turns to tase your squadmate! Hope you upgraded the medicentre to extract the Xeno without killing them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

SynthOrange posted:

This is the actual plot of Apocalypse.

• Locked thread