Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Tobaccrow posted:

Being a stage hazard wouldn't rule him out for being playable. Rohan appears in the manga panels announcing Morioh's stage hazard, and Dio is in the panels for Egypt's stage hazard (meaning he's inside the car that runs you over). Okyasu and Koichi's character models also appear in the background for the Kira residence stage, though they aren't part of the stage's hazard.

Well to me, Weather being the CAUSE of the hazard is fairly different from a cameo. I would want him in the game, though, especially if his GHA would be Heavy Weather. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

LightningKimba posted:

I would want him in the game, though, especially if his GHA would be Heavy Weather. :allears:

It will be. He and Anasui are in as DLC.

onepixeljumpman fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 20, 2013

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
D > DF > F > Punch = Summon poison dart frogs.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
That scan looks really, really fake.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Yeah, everything looks more flat than usual. The character reveals are usually made with 3D models, but there's little hint of any depth here.

On another note, does anyone remember Angelo from Part 4? The guy who killed Josuke's grandfather? He had a stand that could turn into liquids and take away control of the body from whoever drank it. It reminded me of Soft & Wet and its ability to take away attributes using bubbles. I'm not sure if that will hold any significance to the story, but who knows.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Supersonic Shine posted:

Yeah, everything looks more flat than usual. The character reveals are usually made with 3D models, but there's little hint of any depth here.

On another note, does anyone remember Angelo from Part 4? The guy who killed Josuke's grandfather? He had a stand that could turn into liquids and take away control of the body from whoever drank it. It reminded me of Soft & Wet and its ability to take away attributes using bubbles. I'm not sure if that will hold any significance to the story, but who knows.

It helps that it looks like it's printed on printer paper instead of in a magazine.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Sarcophallus posted:

It helps that it looks like it's printed on printer paper instead of in a magazine.

Yeah, looking closer, I can see the printer lines. The reason I figured it was probably real is because they've released or are relasing a DVD bonus super ASB special thing, and I think that came with this card confirming Fatty as DLC.

So, at a glance, I just assumed they were the same sort of thing and attributed the lacking depth and being desaturated to the picture being taken with a lovely camera. I know Anasui's pose is a real one from the manga, so I just ran with it. I saw one or two Japanese posts calling it out, but then a few doing the fan flip out thing, so I'm not sure anymore.

So, sorry if ended up getting tricked and made an rear end of myself. :shobon:

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Supersonic Shine posted:

Ehh, if you're going to make wild connections like that, it's really got more in common with Fun! Fun! Fun! than Soft and Wet. Both were the first enemy encountered, both threatened to control their victim if a condition was met, and both stories involved being trapped in a room. There's enough similarities there that I could buy it being intentional, but it isn't definitive & I don't think it'll relate to the overarching mystery either way.

But to add fuel to the fire, both Josukes were hounded by a motorcycle themed Automatic Stand that was called off when they reached a hospital. OOOoooOOOOO!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I'm reading through part 4 for the first time after catching up with JoJolion and it's interesting to come across the parallels and references, like Kira's clippings and taking part of his wardrobe to the manufacturer to find out who he is. I have to say I'm having a lot more fun with Diamond is Unbreakable, though. At least until I hit the DUWANG scans. Now I don't know if I should power through them or just wait until there's better ones out.

Oh, and the Highway Star arc was amazing. Josuke's like Joseph Jr. in his craziness. Well, I guess he IS...

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I'm reading through part 4 for the first time after catching up with JoJolion and it's interesting to come across the parallels and references, like Kira's clippings and taking part of his wardrobe to the manufacturer to find out who he is. I have to say I'm having a lot more fun with Diamond is Unbreakable, though. At least until I hit the DUWANG scans. Now I don't know if I should power through them or just wait until there's better ones out.

Oh, and the Highway Star arc was amazing. Josuke's like Joseph Jr. in his craziness. Well, I guess he IS...

Diamond is Unbreakable is light hearted and doesn't take itself too seriously. Jojolion is just ... unsettling.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Jojolion is Part 4 with a plot.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I just finished reading Part 5. I think the reason why it isn't as good as the others is that the characters couldn't catch a break, just to, you know, build character and stuff. Part 3 had some lulls wherein you could breathe a little. I also marathoned that one but it didn't feel as fatiguing as this Part.

The other reason is that everyone is too serious. Someone goofs off (Narancia or Mista) but they're quickly put back in line. Or I guess Part 4 spoiled me too much with all the goofing off.

I appreciate that Polnareff got turned into a turtle, though.

Time for Part 6 soon!

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
After I finished part 4 I realized that what I just read was "JoJo's Bizarre Slice of Life Manga." Pretty much every enemy was left alive, and even if they were actually trying to kill the protagonists before they would often help out. Some stand users didn't even want to use it for combat. It's fun to read because it shows how these powers would exist in day to day life instead of a MurderQuest to destroy Dio or Dio Byproducts, which creates a completely different tone.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I must say, I'm enjoying how smug Fatty looks here, considering he caused much a-bloo-bloo-blooing when he was announced.

"The final slot didn't go to Diego! It went to me, Shigekiyo!" :smug:

Of course, that statement isn't entirely accurate, since there's always DLC, but...

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Kabanaw posted:

After I finished part 4 I realized that what I just read was "JoJo's Bizarre Slice of Life Manga." Pretty much every enemy was left alive, and even if they were actually trying to kill the protagonists before they would often help out. Some stand users didn't even want to use it for combat. It's fun to read because it shows how these powers would exist in day to day life instead of a MurderQuest to destroy Dio or Dio Byproducts, which creates a completely different tone.

Also Kira is such a unique villain. My friend made a nice wrestling analogy about Cars and Dio being like Vader (or any physically-intimidating wrestler), they're powerful and you don't defeat them as much as you survive them, but Kira is more like Ric Flair, sneaky and clever and infuriatingly good at living to fight another day. Plus his motivation is a lot more unique than "must take over the world".

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Schneider Heim posted:

Also Kira is such a unique villain. My friend made a nice wrestling analogy about Cars and Dio being like Vader (or any physically-intimidating wrestler), they're powerful and you don't defeat them as much as you survive them, but Kira is more like Ric Flair, sneaky and clever and infuriatingly good at living to fight another day. Plus his motivation is a lot more unique than "must take over the world".
Your friend is cool and that is a great analogy.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I finally caught up with this series. I am not looking forward to having to wait so long between chapters.

Jojolion is super interesting and I don't want to have to stop reading. :(

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I'm up to SBR: D4C Part 3 and oh my god I'm so confused. But god drat it's so good.

Also, a question regarding President Valentine: He first showed up as a short chubby president, and now he's all tall and ripped and proper JoJo Sexy. I noticed he had some copies around him in the beginning and I'm vaguely aware of his Power, but I have to know, is his appearance change a result of his Stand, the Corpse, or just Araki revising his design? If its a spoiler to answer, feel free to tell me to just keep reading.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It has to do with him absorbing the corpse, yeah.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I thought he just swapped himself out with a sexier version of him.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't think it's ever explicitly said either way. It's all just fan theory to account for the art discrepancy.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The reason he appeared so ugly in his first appearance is because we saw him from the perspective of Dio who obviously thought no man could be as fabulous as himself.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
Game Informer played the Vento Aureo game for PS2 during one of the segments of their Replay videos. Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1jjUBfMkGA&t=25m10s

JDRockefeller fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 25, 2013

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

JDRockefeller posted:

Game Informer played the Vento Aureo game for PS2 during one of the segments of their Replay videos. Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1jjUBfMkGA&t=25m10s

Don't worry Game Informer guys, It doesn't make much more sense even when you know what they are talking about.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

MonsterEnvy posted:

I always thought that was the explanation. It makes sense, swapping his body for a younger, fitter one would be the smart move to make once he had to start personally fighting people. I mean it was probably just Araki retconning his design but there are two really plausible in-story explanations so its not really a weak point for the story or anything.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
At least there's two plausable explanations. Anasui, on the other hand...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

She saw that Jolyne liked dudes so she used Diver Down to make herself into a man? v:shobon:v

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

I wonder how Jotaro would have reacted if Girlsui had asked him to marry Jolyne.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Speaking if which, do you think if the anime ever gets that far they'll change it somehow to make more sense?

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

HitTheTargets posted:

Speaking if which, do you think if the anime ever gets that far they'll change it somehow to make more sense?

I would imagine they would just go with whatever it was changed to. Anasui will always be a man, Tsurugi will always be 7, and Kyou's stand will always be called Born This Way.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

And Valentine will always be fabulous.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The thing that always bugged me about SBR was if Valentine wasnt originally designed to be the main villain, who did Araki have in mind? SBR feels like much of it was planned out from the get go especially with the sandman/soundman reveal and the setup for Jojolion, but did he really not plan for Valentine to be the big bad? He even stated after the fact that the setting was the result of wanting to have a fighting president.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Broseph Brostar posted:

The thing that always bugged me about SBR was if Valentine wasnt originally designed to be the main villain, who did Araki have in mind? SBR feels like much of it was planned out from the get go especially with the sandman/soundman reveal and the setup for Jojolion, but did he really not plan for Valentine to be the big bad? He even stated after the fact that the setting was the result of wanting to have a fighting president.

Were did you hear this from?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
This isn't related to the topic at hand, and may very well be old, but I found this JoJo face maker a little while ago and it's pretty neat.

http://v-room.net/g/daijin/jojoface1100.html

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

So ASB is product of the week on Play Asia.

http://www.play-asia.com/

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I was totally going to order it until I noticed the price tag was 80 dollars. Christ, are all imports like that, or is just because it's the pre-order?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I ordered it from Amiami where it was about 67 bucks before shipping. I'm sure with my shipping it'll be reaching closer to 80 bucks give or take, but that's at least with the best shipping I can get, being a filthy American. I don't know how Play-Asia's prices work, but the limited edition is nearly 300 bucks when it's only 16000 yen in Japan which is equivalent to about 163 big ones. I'd have to imagine there's a bit of inflation going on here and there, but I don't do imports often, so I don't know what my word is worth there.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Whew! With just a couple days to go before the release of ASB I've managed to finish up Steel Ball Run. I wish I'd done so sooner, but at the same time I cannot possibly imagine waiting a month between chapters. It was nonstop tension there towards the end. Such a drat good series, and it's nice to fully understand what's going on in the ASB trailers now with the SBR characters. Some thoughts on the end:

I knew a few significant points going in, such as Gyro's death and Diego's return with the World, but I had no idea how they happened or how the series really ended so I was constantly being blindsided. My knowing Gyro's fate made every page of his final battle intense as I never knew how it was going to go down. Shame to see such a great guy go. Diego turned out to be as much of a surprise as I spent the ninth stage waiting to see how Johnny would make his come back, only for him to lose and for Lucy to show up with a method of winning I'd never thought of. It was all so well done.

One thing that really impressed me by the end was the structure of the race itself. When I read the first two stages, I thought it was completely unbalanced and that anyone getting first would have an impossible lead over the rest. It actually got really close towards the end though, even if the deaths were constantly rearranging the board. For some reason I thought Higashikata came in first, probably misremembering JoJoLion, which made Pocoloco's win kind of a surprise and disappointment as I spent the whole series waiting to see how his luck would finally fail him. I guess in the end there was no need, and he seems like a nice guy anyway.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

MonsterEnvy posted:

Were did you hear this from?

Pretty sure it was this very thread. I don't know if it's an unconfirmed rumor or what but supposedly the idea for SBR started with Araki wanting to have a fighting president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:

Broseph Brostar posted:

Pretty sure it was this very thread. I don't know if it's an unconfirmed rumor or what but supposedly the idea for SBR started with Araki wanting to have a fighting president.

Might have been posted in this thread or the previous one. From this chat with Nekoi Tsubaki from CLAMP. Spoilers for SBR:

quote:

Nekoi: I'm faddish but I did like "Independence Day".

Araki: The story's pretty astonishing in that one. In order to fight with aliens, they get into a flying saucer that was buried on earth by aliens in the past. The human strategy was like ripping off the opponent's fundoshi in sumo. The designs all came from other SF works. And on top of it all the President himself flew the saucer to fight. When I saw that I decided the party would be battling the President in Steel Ball Run.

• Locked thread