Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Aren't they popular on this very site?

They have their fans, but jrpgs don't generally sell very well. Some of Square's troubles stem from this because instead of examining why people aren't responding to jrpgs they up the spectacle factor at great expense.

I also don't think bad stories are necessarily the problem. There are much better mediums for telling a straightforward narrative(books, movies, etc) and if your focus is on a linear non-interactive story you're going against the strength of your medium.

Most great games have good or at least solid stories well integrated into them, but if the story is your overriding concern you are probably making a bad game. Especially as most writers working in games today are at best mediocre (but probably awful) so the story they are holding the game hostage to tell is a bad one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Darkhold posted:

I'd honestly really like to see something like Final Fantasy II updated with some modern design ideas/western influences but most things seem to get too retro (like the Penny Arcade game) or are just some lovely half assed effort.
2 or 4? Because 2 on the NES eventually turned into the SaGa series.

Phlegmish posted:

Aren't they popular on this very site? The RPG Thread seems to be almost exclusively dedicated to them.
We have another thread for old-school PC rpgs, too.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Zereth posted:

2 or 4? Because 2 on the NES eventually turned into the SaGa series.
Sorry NES Final Fantasy 2 will always be the real FF2 to me. I always forget about the weird numbering problems in that series.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Great Rumbler posted:

The problem isn't a breadth of story, it's a breadth of story that's really bad.

I think that's a criticism you could level against games generally. JRPGs do tend to have extra baggage in that they fill themselves with otaku pandering, but the ones that do that are generally simultaneously bad in most other ways, so they're pretty easy to avoid.

EDIT: I guess I'm making the 'most things in most forms of media are really bad' argument. You just try to dig up the stuff in each group that's actually good. Your Planescapes or Niers or Super Mario 64s.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Aug 18, 2013

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Zereth posted:

We have another thread for old-school PC rpgs, too.

I know, but it's a shame there's no thread for more recent Western RPG's. We all love Planescape: Torment and Baldur's Gate II, but you can only replay those games so many times. It's been a bad decade for RPG's, but we still had a few decent actiony ones - The Witcher, Divinity II, DA:O (which I personally enjoyed). Plus, now you have all these Kickstarters for great-looking 'old-school' RPG's, like D:OS, Project Eternity and Torment.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
You could make one.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Megazver posted:

Sanitarium Devs Turn to Kickstarter

"The devs behind one of the creepiest horror games of the late '90s are back with a new project."

Ohhhhh sheeeeeet.

Wasn't one of the programming staff a SA goon? I remember him showing off a couple of Easter Eggs no one had found.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The devs for Awesomenauts need help to make an expansion pack.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ronimo/awesomenauts-starstorm

Just wanted to give the heads up because I just saw it and it seems like a liked enough game here, though I have no interest in MOBAs.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Accordion Man posted:

The devs for Awesomenauts need help to make an expansion pack.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ronimo/awesomenauts-starstorm

Just wanted to give the heads up because I just saw it and it seems like a liked enough game here, though I have no interest in MOBAs.

15 bucks for an expansion seems pretty steep, especially for a Kickstarter price, which you'd expect to be lower than the shipping product's. Awesomenauts is a fun game though so they'll do well.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
To be fair, you get the original Awesomenauts along with it.

So if you never got the original it's a decent deal.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
Ghost song has released a gameplay video
http://vimeo.com/72660711

It actually looks pretty awesome, the dash mechanic looks interesting and it also shows off one of the additional weapons.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So, Rockpapershotgun linked to the Shades of Sanity (Sanitarium devs) Kickstarter and that bumped them from 6,8k to 7,5k. Yeah, it's not going to happen.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Here's hoping that Awesomenauts Kickstarter will make it to those stretch goals, it could really use some of those convenience features.

Something that didn't seem to get mentioned is Project Bliss. It seems rather arrogant of them to go after a $150,000 goal (which they have no chance of making at this point) for what looks like yet another "atmospheric" game where you walk around an abstract environment until pretentious text pops up on the screen. I mean the environments look nice, but they're really out of their depth here.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Chroma Squad has 24 hours to go and is only $18,500 away from their episode editor stretch goal. Their previous game Knights of Pen and Paper is amazing and I think the level editor would make this game really awesome.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

papasyhotcakes posted:

Ghost song has released a gameplay video
http://vimeo.com/72660711

It actually looks pretty awesome, the dash mechanic looks interesting and it also shows off one of the additional weapons.

Everything this kid releases give's me hope that this will end up being be an excellent 2d Metroid game. Everything looks great even in Flash so I hope it will be even better with the move to Unity and the art work and design he's already completed really sets the isolated atmosphere Super Metroid presented.

Squidder
Mar 19, 2003

King of the Cat Tree

Oven Wrangler
My friends are doing a kickstarter for a game they've been working on for a while. It's called Burnstar and it's a action/puzzle/strategy thing that I'm terrible at explaining. The Indie Spotted guy did a preview if you want to check out a non-dev playing it and see it in action.

(plus maybe this post will flush them out from lurking :ninja:)

Chickenfoot
Aug 12, 2013
INSIGNIFICANT
My Kickstarter, Insignificant, has a mere 24 hours left, and it's almost at $10k. We have some cool stuff planned for 10k, like an enchanting and alchemy system, as well as making the game look slightly less amateurish.

Insignificant is going to be on Mac, PC, Linux, and will support Oculus Rift, because I wanted an excuse to buy an Oculus Rift, so I'm guessing you can probably play it if you have a computer.

It's a really small game with a really small dev team. Like, right now it's me and one guy who is doing the music. But it'll either be a cool game or a dumb game that's broken in fun ways, so I think it's worth at least following the project even if you're like "I only back nostalgic remakes of FMV games like Night Trap." Speaking of which, someone should probably get on that.

I don't know for sure how much retailers will want me to charge for it if/when it's on Steam, GOG, etc., but it might be more than the rewards are on the Kickstarter, so at the very least you might be saving some money hoppin' on the Insignificant Hype Train now rather than later.

Here's a commercial I made for Insignificant. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjscmNTYkbc

The savvy viewer will notice that the commercial is a virtual shot-for-shot remake of the trailer for Wappy Dog, because I figured no point of reference could capture the zeitgeist better than a trailer for two year old shovelware that no one payed attention to.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Looks like we've got another addition to the Hall of Mockery.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bieeardo posted:

A small one.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bieeardo posted:

At least he didn't register today. :v:

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Drifter posted:

A small one.

I'm a LITTLE hesitant to back that game.

To be honest the notion of a tiny character in a large world can be interesting. I remember a CounterStrike or Team Fortress map or something where you were the size of a mouse. Or, like, Katamari Damacy, where you go from rolling up tiny objects to entire planets. But I'd rather not spend my money on Insignificant.

Chickenfoot
Aug 12, 2013
INSIGNIFICANT

Bieeardo posted:

Exciting! I made an appropriate image to honor my appearance in the Hall of Mockery.

Chickenfoot
Aug 12, 2013
INSIGNIFICANT

HJE-Cobra posted:

I'm a LITTLE hesitant to back that game.

To be honest the notion of a tiny character in a large world can be interesting. I remember a CounterStrike or Team Fortress map or something where you were the size of a mouse. Or, like, Katamari Damacy, where you go from rolling up tiny objects to entire planets. But I'd rather not spend my money on Insignificant.

That's fair, the footage I've got is all pre-alpha junk done in Unity indie, so it looks fairly lovely. I'm mainly hoping that enough people will be willing to back us so that we can make it through production with minimal prostitution, make things look less lovely, and then get people to say "I think it's good enough to torrent, 7/10."

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
I think we can add Race the Sun to the list of Kickstarter games that have delivered. It has modest aims but it is perfectly what I was expecting, and I really enjoy zooming through it for a bit in the evening while listening to podcasts.

For reference, the Kickstarter campaign: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/flippfly/race-the-sun-endless-racer-with-mod-tools-and-mult

And some views of the current state of the game:
http://flippfly.com/
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92973632
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/flippfly/race-the-sun-endless-racer-with-mod-tools-and-mult/posts/573926

(I do kinda wish that they could do the art style of their poster/splashimage in-game.)

JLaw fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 21, 2013

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

U55 - End Of The Line might have a rather lame title (between that and the thumbnail I thought it was a U-boat simulator), but it looks like a rather neat horror game that claims to be based on the Cthulhu mythos.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 21, 2013

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's disappointing that it actually isn't about a German U-Boat crew fighting off Deep Ones or something, that sounds rather cool. A horror game set entirely in a subway sounds pretty boring though, subway levels are usually the blandest areas in survival horror games and I should know I love the genre.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 21, 2013

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Accordion Man posted:

It's disappointing that it actually isn't about a German U-Boat crew fighting off Deep Ones or something, that sounds rather cool. A horror game set entirely in a subway sounds pretty boring though, subway levels are usually the blandest areas in survival horror games and I should know I love the genre.

If you think subway levels are lovely, can you not imagine levels inside a WW2 submarine? It'd be like trying to have Amnesia: Dark Descent play out in a Ford Explorer.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Overflight posted:

U55 - End Of The Line might have a rather lame title (between that and the thumbnail I thought it was a U-boat simulator), but it looks like a rather neat horror game that claims to be based on the Cthulhu mythos.
This thing seems pretty hardcore, their description of their sound design suggests that they're using the same technology that Pokemon used to get people to kill themselves.

I honestly can't tell if the developers believe that poo poo or if they just wanted to inject some humor into their survival horror pitch. Either way it does not inspire much confidence.

I also can't wait for the top quality voice acting the game will feature, seeing as they're enlisting such illustrious actors as "person who pledges enough money."

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Drifter posted:

If you think subway levels are lovely, can you not imagine levels inside a WW2 submarine? It'd be like trying to have Amnesia: Dark Descent play out in a Ford Explorer.
Eh...yeah, true. I just think an underwater survival horror game would be cool. Subways are still rather bland when it comes to survival horror, I only really liked the one in Silent Hill 3.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I also can't wait for the top quality voice acting the game will feature, seeing as they're enlisting such illustrious actors as "person who pledges enough money."

Can we all pledge some money so Fragmaster can give it a go?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I don't really like horror games but a submarine horror game could be cool. It would make a good setup for a game more focused on the psychology of the characters involved (like The Thing). Racing back and forth "who trashed the radio?" kinda stuff though I don't think anyone has ever pulled off that sort of situation with AI characters.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Overflight posted:

Everything seemed interesting until I saw the word Cthlulhu. Stealing that setting for your own is such a creatively bankrupt thing to do I instantly lose any interest in any game that does so.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

Even if the game were to somehow be set entirely inside the subway (which I doubt), A) European subway stations usually have a lot of variety to them and B) Metro 2033 proved it could work.

Also, we already had a game that had "Submarine crew vs. Cthulhu", it was called Prisoner of Ice.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

This thing seems pretty hardcore, their description of their sound design suggests that they're using the same technology that Pokemon used to get people to kill themselves.

I honestly can't tell if the developers believe that poo poo or if they just wanted to inject some humor into their survival horror pitch. Either way it does not inspire much confidence.

Yeah, the binaural beat thing made me raise an eyebrow as well. I've listened to those and I suppose they sound SOMEWHAT creepy so whatever.

re: the voice acting, they explicitly state that one of the things they need money for is to hire decent VAs.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Everything seemed interesting until I saw the word Cthlulhu. Stealing that setting for your own is such a creatively bankrupt thing to do I instantly lose any interest in any game that does so.

Dark Corners of the Earth was a great game that unfortunately drowned in a sea of technical mishaps.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 21, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Johnny Law posted:

I think we can add Race the Sun to the list of Kickstarter games that have delivered. It has modest aims but it is perfectly what I was expecting, and I really enjoy zooming through it for a bit in the evening while listening to podcasts.

For reference, the Kickstarter campaign: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/flippfly/race-the-sun-endless-racer-with-mod-tools-and-mult

And some views of the current state of the game:
http://flippfly.com/
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92973632
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/flippfly/race-the-sun-endless-racer-with-mod-tools-and-mult/posts/573926

(I do kinda wish that they could do the art style of their poster/splashimage in-game.)

Neat, I remember this one! I wonder if they're planning to port to other platforms, because this looks like it'd be a fun one to have on a console indie marketplace or to pull out on the phone for a quick race if they could get decent controls.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

MikeJF posted:

Neat, I remember this one! I wonder if they're planning to port to other platforms, because this looks like it'd be a fun one to have on a console indie marketplace or to pull out on the phone for a quick race if they could get decent controls.

I think I saw a mention somewhere about them wanting to port it to iOS and Android at some point, but I can't find it now so don't quote me on it. As far as controls go, I'd imagine that simple tilt controls would work wonders for it on mobile devices.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
90's Arcade Racer had a couple of updates recently:

A retrofitted arcade racer cabinet with 90's Arcade Racer inserted.

Some shots of various stages:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/896834116/the-90s-arcade-racer/posts

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I like the mirrored text on the space shuttle. Super attention to detail there.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I really enjoy Race the Sun even if everyone in the Greenlight thread shits all over it whenever its brought up.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Does it really count as stealing when you use something in the public domain? I understand that you might not like the setting in general but saying this is the same thing as denouncing a project because it used Norse gods.

Personally, I'd love a Cthulhu game based on something like A Colder War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e_wraith
May 5, 2012

Damn pods!
Grimey Drawer

Overflight posted:

Even if the game were to somehow be set entirely inside the subway (which I doubt), A) European subway stations usually have a lot of variety to them and B) Metro 2033 proved it could work.

Don't forget Hellgate: London! Okay, no, feel free to forget Hellgate: London.

Which reminds me of Grim Dawn, hopefully that progressing. One of the first Kickstarters I backed. And the first computer game KS I actually saw some results from, with their alpha. But despite being in all sorts of alpha and beta tests thanks to KS, I am finding out the more I like (or think I will like) a game the more I want to wait until its done to play. Alpha and beta test access tiers aren't doing much for me lately.