Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Ryuga Death posted:

Is Fast Hands that useless? I like being able to pick up bags quickly, but if it is useless, I'll respec my Ghost tree.

Fast hands is nice when you open up the bank vault and there's 8 bags in there. Saves a bit of time on packing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Vatek posted:

How is overkill pointless? Acing it isn't really worth it but non-ace skill makes a huge difference for shotguns outside of point blank range (granted, it's not going to do much for the mosconi). It's a great skill for the 4 points that it costs.
My bad, I've been misreading the skill for like 2 weeks apparently. I always read it as 'when you kill someone with the saw, you get a damage bonus with shotguns'. To which I was always just like 'yeah I'll instead just use a shotgun.'

So ignore that, I'm apparently illiterate.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Vaults are a good example. Big payout bank vaults especially, where all four of you shouldn't be standing around the table like idiots packing bags. I can pack 3-4 bags and toss them out of the vault in the time a non-specced teammate can do 1, so it works out better to just let me do it and wait outside for the handoff.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Moochewmoo posted:

So I think I've arrived on what might be the best possible build for me. It combines having awesome shotgun stuff, Joker, Stealth, and the saw (Because I want it) into one build. I'm not sure where to improve it honestly.

http://www.pd2skills.info/#/profile/targetbuild/

And don't you dare say get rid of saw points. I'll make it work drat it.

Drop the Joker ace and ace Iron Man. That mother fucker is a game changer.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2013/04/26

Just replace the Lookout with a Mastermind, the Cleaner with an Enforcer, and the Locksmith with a Ghost. The Mole is a Tech. The heist is Ukranian Job.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Coolguye posted:

My bad, I've been misreading the skill for like 2 weeks apparently. I always read it as 'when you kill someone with the saw, you get a damage bonus with shotguns'. To which I was always just like 'yeah I'll instead just use a shotgun.'

So ignore that, I'm apparently illiterate.

Heh. For the record, it doubles your shotgun/saw damage for 6 seconds after you score a kill with a shotgun/saw and there is no internal cooldown so when you're actively killing cops it will be up basically all the time.

I've said this before but it's probably the best 4-point skill in the entire game.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Does Ace Pumping Iron just extend the melee damage buff to specials, or does it also crank your damage against regulars up even MORE? I'm looking at grabbing it, but I don't have any reason to melee specials until I get the Iron Man Ace.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Pharmaskittle posted:

Does Ace Pumping Iron just extend the melee damage buff to specials, or does it also crank your damage against regulars up even MORE? I'm looking at grabbing it, but I don't have any reason to melee specials until I get the Iron Man Ace.

The basic doubles your attack damage again non-specials, the ace doubles it against all enemies. So it sounds like it just extends the 2x damage to the specials for the ace.

Sadly, you can't go Fist of the North Star all over Bank Heist.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Unrelated, I am surprised so many people say you *need* the Big Oil 1 intel or things get way harder. I haven't played it a lot but the times I have played we were able to find the info easily, either through stealth or the method of "IT'S CRIME TIME"-ing our way through the front door. Just look for clipboards, yeah?

Getting at least part of the intel is pretty much key to making it go much smoother though. Having a keycard or the plane keys means you can avoid drilling/exploding/ECMing one of the 3 or so possible doors (which helps a little), and you can also extract as soon as your engine is verified rather than having to wait for the chopper to come back.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Vatek posted:

Heh. For the record, it doubles your shotgun/saw damage for 6 seconds after you score a kill with a shotgun/saw and there is no internal cooldown so when you're actively killing cops it will be up basically all the time.

I've said this before but it's probably the best 4-point skill in the entire game.

Yup. When it's active a Locomotive out of the box one shots heavy FBI units.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

So many of the Mastermind skills seem like they might be useless depending on how they work and the situation. Does anyone have the "revive crew members by shouting at them" ace? Is it literally just like, if you look at your crew member and are within 50 feet you can revive them by pressing E, or what?

And is the civvie revive any good? Or do they hardly ever do it?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

It sounds good, but the likelihood that you'll be downed next to a hostage is so low that the points are better spent elsewhere. You only really start getting dropped a lot toward the end of missions and hostages start to get pulled out by then.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Slim Killington posted:

It sounds good, but the likelihood that you'll be downed next to a hostage is so low that the points are better spent elsewhere. You only really start getting dropped a lot toward the end of missions and hostages start to get pulled out by then.

Plus all your hostages are usually tied down, lest they escape when you're not looking.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Party Plane Jones posted:

Plus all your hostages are usually tied down, lest they escape when you're not looking.

Wait, the skill requires the hostage to be free? That must be drat near worthless, since any hostage that isn't tied down usually bolts during the first assault wave, generally into the direction of your firing lines.

fujifisher
Sep 3, 2006

Hi there!

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Does anyone have the "revive crew members by shouting at them" ace? Is it literally just like, if you look at your crew member and are within 50 feet you can revive them by pressing E, or what?

It doesn't work 50 feet away, maybe more like 15-20 feet but that's just an estimate. It's an instant revive, but it's really hard to use when you have dominator and there's a bunch of guys standing around the body of the guy you're trying to revive, you usually end up just yelling at them to get down rather than be able to revive your friend. Also, sometimes it just doesn't work, you'll be yelling to get up and they won't.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Wait, the skill requires the hostage to be free? That must be drat near worthless, since any hostage that isn't tied down usually bolts during the first assault wave, generally into the direction of your firing lines.

I figure it's more for people with Control Freak and a firebreather barrel extension since they'll keep every civvie locked down permanently without a single zip-tie.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
The loving Mosconi :stare:

As an enforcer (with all the shotgun upgrades) there's no reason not to go Mosconi/Locomotive. Seriously.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
So I'm relatively new to Payday, and I just unlocked the Saw and... I don't get it? Am I seriously supposed to give up a primary weapon to use it? I tried a mission with the Saw/Locomotive and the saw seemed incredibly useless. It broke ridiculously quickly and it seemed like it was just completetly outclassed by C4? I mean C4 doesn't even use up your Primary Weapon...

Am I missing something? Am I not always supposed to take the saw on every mission I guess, then?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ChewyLSB posted:

Am I missing something? Am I not always supposed to take the saw on every mission I guess, then?
Yeah, it's a pretty situational loadout weapon. Any time you know there'll be saw-specific interactables, take it; otherwise, it's a lovely sacrifice to be able to down a bulldozer in one second because you don't even know if you'll run into one.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

ChewyLSB posted:

So I'm relatively new to Payday, and I just unlocked the Saw and... I don't get it? Am I seriously supposed to give up a primary weapon to use it? I tried a mission with the Saw/Locomotive and the saw seemed incredibly useless. It broke ridiculously quickly and it seemed like it was just completetly outclassed by C4? I mean C4 doesn't even use up your Primary Weapon...

Basic standard for the Saw is that you don't take it on every mission, just on Bank Heists and 4 Stores to get the ATM opened in seconds.

The other tip I've read over and over is to tap the mouse button not hold it down to unlock/break vaults.

edit: Also it's good if you've Aced the perk that lets you have infinite ammo for a certain period of time after you drop an ammo bag. If you're doing a bank heist simply drop an ammo bag and then hold down the mouse button and go to town on a shitload of deposit boxes.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

ChewyLSB posted:

You only bring the saw where you need it, and you need to lightly tap the button and have a fair idea of where to saw. The saw can hit some things C4 can't but yes it is quite a pain and chews through its ammo, even after upgrading.

real_scud posted:

edit: Also it's good if you've Aced the perk that lets you have infinite ammo for a certain period of time after you drop an ammo bag. If you're doing a bank heist simply drop an ammo bag and then hold down the mouse button and go to town on a shitload of deposit boxes.

Oh this is a wonderful idea.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The Saw is for very specific things that you can't get any other way or any other time effective way. Bank deposit boxes, locking bars in the Museum, ATMs and a bunch of other stuff if you don't have a tech (doors, trucks, etc.).

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

real_scud posted:

This doesn't work.

Or it didn't in the beta at least.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Last night a teammate asked me if I had any gadgets, and I don't. How do I get gadgets/assign them to my character?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

dreffen posted:

This doesn't work.

Or it didn't in the beta at least.
I was pretty sure for that brief period of time when I was spec'd into the Saw that I tested it out and it did work. I'll have to give it another go tonight but I don't understand why it wouldn't work because it should since it's a primary weapon and all that.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

real_scud posted:

That skill doesn't apply to the saw.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

That skill doesn't apply to the saw.
Well that's a bunch of loving bullshit, dunno why they would add it in as a special case for that perk considering it wouldn't even be that game breaking to have it get some infinite ammo.

Apr 4, 2004

by T. Finninho

rear end Catchcum posted:

Last night a teammate asked me if I had any gadgets, and I don't. How do I get gadgets/assign them to my character?

Been wondering the same thing. I think it's for stuff like flashlights on the gun.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

bef posted:

As an enforcer (with all the shotgun upgrades) there's no reason not to go Mosconi/Locomotive. Seriously.

Seriously. I used this with the enforcer armor on a very hard watchdogs with some 20ish pubs. While they were retreating to the usual high ground I was out in the poo poo shotgunning cops from 50 yards away. Eventually I got into some poo poo while trying to help out the one pub who decided to be a badass with me. He went down and there were about ten cops surrounding him.

Dropped my ammo bag and bullet storm Mosconi did the rest. It was the most :tex: I've ever felt and he was laughing his rear end off at the rapid fire boomstick.

My one problem with enforcer is that you don't have many options except murder which, in fairness, is a pretty helpful option. But I dont have the tools to do shaped charge runs or mastermind/ghost stealth shenanigans.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

So many of the Mastermind skills seem like they might be useless depending on how they work and the situation. Does anyone have the "revive crew members by shouting at them" ace? Is it literally just like, if you look at your crew member and are within 50 feet you can revive them by pressing E, or what?

The shouting revive is awesome I have helped so many goon groups with it that its insane, you can also shout through walls too as long as your within the revive distance.

However due to it being an instant revive sometimes people don't realise just how much they have died and end up using all their lives.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Was someone able to get Low Visibility with the light-weight combat vest?

I finally got the mods needed to get to low visibility but that is with the suit. I have the Chino88 with the smallest silencer, and the UAR with the short barrel and i'm good to go. However I really want a setup where I have my silenced pistol + a decent primary + the lightweight vest and I'm still at low visibility.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
All this talk of visibility is confusing me a bit. Does it really make that much of a difference? I still sneak past cameras and guards in full gently caress-you gear with double shotguns... I can't recall a time where it really mattered. I understand switching to something lighter for speed, but not visibility.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Its also pretty dumb that you have to dump so many points to make the saw actually useful and its only useful in certain situations (mostly obtaining cash). Even then once you hit a high enough level cash isn't a priority and you're more concerned about completing the mission/getting XP that speccing into a Enforcer-armored shotgun Rambo is the way to go.

Great Beer posted:

Dropped my ammo bag and bullet storm Mosconi did the rest. It was the most :tex: I've ever felt and he was laughing his rear end off at the rapid fire boomstick.

My one problem with enforcer is that you don't have many options except murder which, in fairness, is a pretty helpful option. But I dont have the tools to do shaped charge runs or mastermind/ghost stealth shenanigans.

Yeah the only fault with the Enforcer is they're all about action.

But between being the ammo supplier, shield buster, and the primary cop-slayer, I'd say the Enforcer is one of the essential classes that every team needs to have. If things all go to poo poo chances are a good Enforcer can hold his own ground and clear up the mess. Not having to worry about Shields takes a huge load off the teams shoulders and Bulldozers are pretty much cake with a Mosconi. The only thing that's always an issue is the Tan FBI guys that only have a hitbox ON THEIR loving HEAD but aren't that bad with an extended Locomotive :v:

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
Dear Overkill,

I like making masks. Please stop showing me the back of the mask unless you'll let me customize it.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

H2SO4 posted:

All this talk of visibility is confusing me a bit. Does it really make that much of a difference? I still sneak past cameras and guards in full gently caress-you gear with double shotguns... I can't recall a time where it really mattered. I understand switching to something lighter for speed, but not visibility.

Visibility is basically your margin of error when it comes to being detected by guards/cameras - it affects at what distance the suspicion meter starts filling up and how fast it fills up from there. You CAN stealth with High visibility, but it's much harder as guards generally see you instantaneously when they so much as look at you from 50 feet away and if you screw up walking past a camera you basically blew the stealth portion of the heist. Having Low visibility with some of the Ghost traits gives you a ton of wiggle room to play around with and generally makes it a lot easier to stealth.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

So how does the shouty revive work? Is it really an unlimited use long range instant revive, because that seems really overpowered.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

real_scud posted:

Well that's a bunch of loving bullshit, dunno why they would add it in as a special case for that perk considering it wouldn't even be that game breaking to have it get some infinite ammo.

Well, it sort of would. 10 seconds of infinite saw would be enough to open every single deposit box, without needing to refill ammo once.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

bef posted:

I use a Mosconi/Deagle for Pistol Messiah. An upgraded Deagle is pretty drat good. Nice accuracy, one-shots tan guys to the head, 16 round magazine. Only problem I have with it is that it can be difficult to injure guys enough to convert them, since both my weapons kill enemies in a single shot unless you go for the arms/legs, which seems oddly unreliable as to whether they'll take damage or get hitstunned.

Praseodymi posted:

So how does the shouty revive work? Is it really an unlimited use long range instant revive, because that seems really overpowered.

Mash shout at a dead teammate and maybe they'll get up, maybe not. Hope that the game decides to let you yell at your partner to revive himself and not for the nearby cops/civilians to get down. It doesn't have infinite range. Works a lot like Dominator, really.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Praseodymi posted:

Limited range, but it's still far enough to make it totally viable if you have the option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
I use the loco pretty much 24/7 as a secondary but I try not to rely on the Mosconi all the time lest they nerf it or something. Plus, I find the assault rifles quite fun to use. :smith:

• Locked thread