Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?

Yeah, that's a clipping error when you combine the A3-tactical mod with the short barrel and the bigger's better silencer.

But the gun owns, especially if you are a ghost build and have the silenced weapon perks aced!
Multiply these stats with 1,3x damage, 0,5x recoil, 1,5x accuracy:

I basically have a Railgun that shoots the first 5-7 bullets in a straight line. :unsmigghh:

wilbur.walsh fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

Rapdawg posted:

I've always followed the prepare for hot but try for cold method, so that when stealth fails you don't have a suit and pistol.

That is pretty much my method as well. Still always end up getting swarmed by cops, but at least it buys some time while you bag money or whatever.

Also, I feel very lucky that I've had so many good pubbie games after reading this thread. When I do actually manage to get into a game, it usually involves spending a few minutes talking over the plan and coordinating our loadouts before we jump in. I'm sure my luck will end soon.

I'm playing on PS3. Username is lunchbot. I'm at 22 right now playing a most likely terrible tech build. Please add me anybody.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tommofork posted:

http://goo.gl/sZvHzx

Notable changes:
OVERKILL RIGHT THE gently caress NOW. I love to pop heads with the Mosconi then swap to the Loco and go to town, but that's just me.
Dominator no longer aced (still enough to do stealth runs, but if you don't have Joker what's the point of acing it?).
Fast hands dropped to just one point. You can ace it on your next level up.
Die hard aced (takes less time for your armour to start recovering).
Double ammo bag skill aced over shotgun ADS increase, never had a problem with shotgun ADS being too slow. More ammo is great.
Tough guy completely dropped.
The three points in Oppressor, Underdog and Pumping iron can be redistributed however you want between the tier 3 and lower skills, even Tough Guy. If you ace one of them instead of picking three one pointers, that puts you two levels away from ace Fast Hands.

Tough Guy 1 is bad since there's basically no flinch, but what's so bad about Tough Guy Ace? Taking more damage before you can no longer shoot back when you're down seems reasonable for a point-sink skill, considering you're going to have the ability to shoot your primary (I mean it's poo poo that it's a point-sink skill but at least it's actually useful, unlike Flash Resistance).

Also, I don't really see your reasoning for wasting points on Pumping Iron and Underdog instead of keeping the SP free to Ace Oppressor on the next level up.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 21, 2013

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...
I had the hardest Rats mission the other day. It wasn't even overkill or a pro mission. Day 1 cooking the meth was ridiculous. The cops seemed to get bottlenecked behind that white car so instead of maybe 6-8 trickling in it was like 20-30 goddamned cops at a time. Thankfully they grabbed the meth and were nice enough to leave it by our van for us. It was seriously the most intense shootout that lasted like 7 minutes or so of nonstop cops and fbi pouring into that lovely little house. After surviving Day 1 we had to escape 2x before the final mission where our bus bugged out and was exploding every 5-10 seconds blinding everyone on the screen. When I seen the reward screen I had to ask myself if all the bullshit was worth it for such a paltry sum.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Rapdawg posted:

I've always followed the prepare for hot but try for cold method, so that when stealth fails you don't have a suit and pistol.

This is pretty much the best idea when playing with strangers or less than subtle friends.

On a solo heist, the difference in visibility and mobility between the light and heavy armors is spectacular. Dressing down is a game changer.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

I think Firestarter might be my favorite job right now. It's a nice mix of balls-to-the-wall firefights and sneaking, with a decent payout at the end. Framing Frame is also fun but incredibly demoralizing when your host gives up and quits after failing the third day for the 10th time.

E: Nightclub was fun in the beta for *wub-wub* shootouts but now it's been turned into basically another smash & grab.

Foehammer fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 21, 2013

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Crime.net is awesome and so is the safehouse ~immersion~ things are way more interesting than grinding ukranian job 100 times in a row then getting bored of the game and uninstalling.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Foehammer posted:

I think Firestarter might be my favorite job right now. It's a nice mix of balls-to-the-wall firefights and sneaking, with a decent payout at the end. Framing Frame is also fun but incredibly demoralizing when your host gives up and quits after failing the third day for the 10th time.

That's only for a third day as well. Notice the number of days meter goes up to like eight days or something.

Just finish the seventh day and the host has to go get his own chocolate milk and drops? Progress pretty much gone on whatever mythical multi-day DLC mad heist they're developing.

Host migration for fucks sake.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Caufman posted:

This is pretty much the best idea when playing with strangers or less than subtle friends.

On a solo heist, the difference in visibility and mobility between the light and heavy armors is spectacular. Dressing down is a game changer.

You mean dressing up my friend!

WHERE IS MY DIFFERENT SUITS DLC? I demand pinstripes and cardigans! Better yet, we could have them be drops like TF2!

Wait no, that would suck. However a two dollar DLC for a two dollar suit would be kind of neato.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

folgore posted:

Is it actually possible to stealthily grab the keycard from the bank manager's desk during bank heists?

I've done it solo a few times. Usually after I drop a few guards and I usually take the camera asset where you can view the cameras from outside the building, to point the cameras away and to watch the guards routes.

I also finally popped my Framing Frames stealth cherry, with a group of lowbie pubs no less. I explained beforehand that it'd take a few tries and we should all go low visibility and suicide if caught but we got it on our first try, even without bodybags. They were a little rambunctious and shot guard #5 while I was answering a pager for #4, I had to sprint across the flat praying there were no cameras along my path to answer the last pager. I think I like taking guard #1 hostage best, since shouting is "silent" and they don't alert anyone if found.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Tough Guy 1 is bad since there's basically no flinch, but what's so bad about Tough Guy Ace? Taking more damage before you can no longer shoot back when you're down seems reasonable for a point-sink skill, considering you're going to have the ability to shoot your primary (I mean it's poo poo that it's a point-sink skill but at least it's actually useful, unlike Flash Resistance).

Also, I don't really see your reasoning for wasting points on Pumping Iron and Underdog instead of keeping the SP free to Ace Oppressor on the next level up.

There really was no reasoning as they're all pretty garbage and my goal was to get to the Shotgun Jesus skills in as few points as possible. I figured 25% extra suppression, double melee damage against regular dudes, whatever the gently caress Underdog does and only being one level from ace Fast Hands is better than having ace in any of those skills and being two levels away from ace Fast Hands.

My understanding of ace Tough Guy is it increases your bleed out timer, not the damage you can take while down. Correct me if I'm wrong. <:shobon:>

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tommofork posted:

My understanding of ace Tough Guy is it increases your bleed out timer, not the damage you can take while down. Correct me if I'm wrong. <:shobon:>

I had it for a while and I don't think I noticed it doing that but to be honest I don't remember. That said, if it does, that'd be even better.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Knightmare posted:

I've done it solo a few times. Usually after I drop a few guards and I usually take the camera asset where you can view the cameras from outside the building, to point the cameras away and to watch the guards routes.

I also finally popped my Framing Frames stealth cherry, with a group of lowbie pubs no less. I explained beforehand that it'd take a few tries and we should all go low visibility and suicide if caught but we got it on our first try, even without bodybags. They were a little rambunctious and shot guard #5 while I was answering a pager for #4, I had to sprint across the flat praying there were no cameras along my path to answer the last pager. I think I like taking guard #1 hostage best, since shouting is "silent" and they don't alert anyone if found.

Failing Framing Frames day 3 wouldn't be so bad if the computer upload was about half the length, or maybe make the length scale based on the difficulty of the mission. We didn't have the skills to stealth the first bit (only level 13 or so) and then had to drill up to 3 loving doors (less if we got lucky with a keycard) and then deal with the longest hack ever that keeps getting stopped. 2 loving hours we banged our heads against it before giving up :(

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

John Murdoch posted:

I'd be cool with giving Enforcer something to do during stealth runs but in exchange I'd also get rid of the incredibly boring "now ECM Jammers open keycard doors" perk. It's a really poorly conceived skill that doesn't open up new and interesting avenues for stealthing, it just lets you cut corners and skip grabbing the keycard on a given heist, which is otherwise something that should be an objective during stealth runs that requires gameplay to complete, rather than just plopping a gadget down.

Sure, shaped charges do the same thing, but they're loud as hell, preventing you from stealthing with them, and using mines that way is more of an investment due how many various objectives require to detonate. IE, you can't blow open both the keycard door and the safe with one set of mines on Nightclub. (Though even then, they're still probably too good thanks to letting you skip stuff like the secondary vault gates. But that's a whole different design chat.)

The trade-off for nerfing ECM Jammers slightly is that I think there should be dedicated control boxes in every stealthable heist that you can plant an ECM Jammer on to knock out all of the cameras for a time, instead of needing to finagle where you place the jammer to cover a certain area. The rub is that the box would be randomized like anything else, and generally tougher to get to. Now Ghosts have a dedicated sub-goal that if they can reach, they blind the bank/jewelery store/whatever so their team can sweep in and perform their roles.

I'm against nerfing ECM Jammers for one particular reason: you only get two at most.

That means you have to make a decision during a heist - do you use your ECM Jammer to open a door or two, or do you save them for camera avoidance? Also, unless you spec all the way into ECM Jammer to get Feedback, they are patently useless when a heist goes hot. They're easily much more situational than Trip Mines/Perimeter Alarm/Shaped Charges, and you get fewer of them to boot. You can find a compelling reasons to always bring Trip Mines/Perimeter Alarm/Shaped Charges - the same cannot be said for the ECM Jammer. Ergo, players should be rewarded at the very least for speccing deep into them by allowing them to circumvent some of the more challenging aspects of a heist in order to succeed much more easily. I mean, Shaped Charges allows you to circumvent a lot of heists - Ukrainian being the most egregious example. Why shouldn't the Ghost who dumped 12 points into the ECM Jammer be able to as well? Removing this aspect of ECM Jammers is not a 'slight' nerf - it is a significant one.

Edit: I like your suggestion, but the problem with it is that the cameras are only one part of running stealth. Civilian and guard management are equally as important, and changing the level design to place one sub-room to deal with only one of the aspects of stealth (for a limited time, too) is not going to allow the whole team to sweep in unstealthily and manage the other two. But then again, it's already in the game. Take out the guy monitoring the cameras in the bank, and I believe you don't have to worry about them anymore. Forever. And you still have to use an ECM Jammer to get into the room without the keycard! So I guess it's already implemented...

Rapdawg posted:

This is why Silent Killer and The Professional are actually kind of important skills for the Ghost. In order to spec out for the lowest visibility possible, you have to put on a lot of gun mods that can absolutely wreck your recoil/accuracy/damage. These skills mitigate or in some cases completely negate the penalty and then give it a bonus. It makes it so that you can carry some decent guns, wear something other than the suit, and still manage to pull off low visibility for stealthing. But when it goes hot, you're no longer dead weight to the team - you can still hold your own (albeit nowhere near as well as an Enforcer on a shotgun rampage but that's the Enforcer's bag - he should be able to do that better than anybody, no questions asked).

Rapdawg posted:

Wait no, that would suck. However a two dollar DLC for a two dollar suit would be kind of neato.

It would be AWESOME because I could finally RP Hobo With A Shotgun.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 21, 2013

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I had it for a while and I don't think I noticed it doing that but to be honest I don't remember. That said, if it does, that'd be even better.

The numbers guide on the community hub says it increases bleedout time by 25%.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
As an aside, has anyone noticed that separate aiming/look sensitivities doesn't seem to work any more since update #2?

SAMARIX
Jul 8, 2013
Patch 4 is out.

quote:

Changelog for Update #4 - 20130821

Invite system
Fixed a bug on the bank job(s) where sometimes the van door wouldn't open, causing progression to halt
Fixed a bug on the Firestarter 3 job where sometimes the player could not secure bags
Fixed a bug where a secondary gun would not show up in the safe house

Not much but at least it's something.

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.
Apparently we're supposed to be getting another bigger patch "soon"

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

folgore posted:

Is it actually possible to stealthily grab the keycard from the bank manager's desk during bank heists?

I've done it, but it basically relies on there being no guards between you and the back door. Or anyone, for that matter. People sitting at the desks don't notice as long as you go past really quick, but you can't dodge the guards.

EnnuiDay
Jul 4, 2008
I'm kind of slow sometimes, but did everyone else know that you can zoom out on the crimenet map with the mouse wheel? Keeps you from having to drag around the map to see every job.

John Murdoch posted:

Honestly you'd probably want to smash and grab Normal Jewelery Stores if you're going for cards and don't have access to anything to speed things up. Basic trip mines probably still speed up Mallcrasher, but I'm not sure if you can instantly wipe out the wine store, which is something like 30-50% of the damage you need.

The counter behind the register has a low platform in the middle of it. A mine placed on the top, far as possible from the door, will pop every bottle. Another mine in the middle of the Pear store table, and another on the Lambo's windows equals 50k. Should take about 60s and is almost as rewarding as Ukrainian.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I've yet to stealth a bank heist, either solo or in a group. I can take down all the guards in solo, but when keeping civilians in check eventually someone sees me in the street or something. Will civilians get alerted by the thermal drill if I take out all the guards but don't touch civilians? I think the vault is usually in a blind spot.

Banks are my favorite missions but I'm not very good at them! Even when things go bad I like the greed vs safety aspect when running back for more.

Apr 4, 2004

by T. Finninho
:siren: Bay Area goons :siren:

Union city best buy has 360 version. 3 copies in stock

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Knightmare posted:

I've yet to stealth a bank heist, either solo or in a group. I can take down all the guards in solo, but when keeping civilians in check eventually someone sees me in the street or something. Will civilians get alerted by the thermal drill if I take out all the guards but don't touch civilians? I think the vault is usually in a blind spot.

Civilians will see the drill, but won't hear it.

If you're solo stealthing a bank heist, if the vault is in the back by the cubicles you can just shout down the few civilians on that side of the room, and nobody will see the drill from the street, and nobody will see the shouted-down civilians. Barricade the one window across from the vault if you feel paranoid. If the vault is next to the tellers, you basically have to clear the street first. If you have Cable Guy aced, run around and tie them down, there's a limited number of them (I think four, might be misremembering). If you only have two cable ties, you'll need to kill some. Once they're taken care of, then you can either kill, tie, or keep eyes on the civilians and tellers in the front, safely ignoring those in the cubicles. The bank manager needs to be taken care of in either case, since he moves around and will see the drill or the tied/dead/cowering civilians.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Rapdawg posted:

You mean dressing up my friend!

WHERE IS MY DIFFERENT SUITS DLC? I demand pinstripes and cardigans! Better yet, we could have them be drops like TF2!

I love Chains for his voice, but he needs to wear something classier than that seersucker two-piece. Same with Dallas and his tweed.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I want a legitimately terrible suit that looks like you bought it from Men's Wearhouse and then sort of rolled around in mud in it for a while. It'll have the armor properties of the original suit, frighten civilians within a certain radius so that they cower to the ground, and have guards shoot on sight.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

^ I hope that suit gets a smell meter as well.

Caufman posted:

I love Chains for his voice, but he needs to wear something classier than that seersucker two-piece. Same with Dallas and his tweed.

Whoever voices Chains really did a great job. I particularly like that if he yells at civvies outside of an assault he sounds calm as could be but if it's during an assault he's just yelling at the top of his lungs. "STAY THE gently caress. DOWN!"

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Chains was great in Payday 1, great in Payday 2.

"Reminds me of that last gig, only sexier!" Very true, Chains.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

folgore posted:

I do it all the time with medium visibility and no Ghost skills. Just make sure the manager is not in his office, unless you can bag bodies, and there's no guard looking that way. The civilians in the cubicles won't see you if you don't stand up and don't stop moving.

If you have low visibility or the relevant Ghost skill, you won't get anywhere close to being detected.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

God I love the stealth in this game. Between the helpful beeping cameras, the completely oblivious civilians, and the gullible mental patients that take "Just thinking about tacos" as an excuse for dropping the pager... :allears:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Man all this stealthing talk lately (and playing with Chuckle last night, thanks a lot for running through Rats and Big Oil since I'd never seen those) has made me look into a solo stealth build for myself.

http://www.pd2skills.info/profile/stealth-45-2/

Does this catch all the necessary skills for level 45? Bagging, pagers, cable ties, double ECM... the next points would go in to cracking safes in Ghost.

I would really like a second character slot so you could have a stealth and loud build. Added cosmetic stuff would also be cool. I picked up a tactical flashlight for my silenced Deagle and it's fun flicking around like a douche; also really handy for dark areas (go figure).

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

On the other hand you get runs like inside the apartment complex on Rats, where we manhandled a guard with fists and somehow alerted the whole map through walls and all.

Soo much for that evidence/clue :sigh:

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

DreamShipWrecked posted:

God I love the stealth in this game. Between the helpful beeping cameras, the completely oblivious civilians, and the gullible mental patients that take "Just thinking about tacos" as an excuse for dropping the pager... :allears:

The only problem I have with stealth is that I feel bad for my teammates sitting on their hands while I have fun smacking guards, dodging cameras and answering pagers. Everyone needs to try a 75% Ghost, 25% Mastermind build at least once to see how powerful you can be without firing a single bullet.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The pager responses are the absolute funniest thing in the game. "Oh, uh, sorry. I was trying to order a pizza."

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

jerkstoresup posted:

The only problem I have with stealth is that I feel bad for my teammates sitting on their hands while I have fun smacking guards, dodging cameras and answering pagers. Everyone needs to try a 75% Ghost, 25% Mastermind build at least once to see how powerful you can be without firing a single bullet.

That's basically the way you have to do it most of the time, since 4 people stealthing is 4x the chance to get caught. My first Frames job was with pubbies, after two ragequit and were quickly replaced I just said "gently caress it, I will clear out the floors, you lot sit in the stairwell and wait for me to say okay to grab items".

Ten minutes later we were hauling gold up the stairs.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Must be a coincidence that Bain no longer screams when he talks after I reported it. I could turn the volume down, but dominated SWAT quietly tell you when they surrender.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That's basically the way you have to do it most of the time, since 4 people stealthing is 4x the chance to get caught. My first Frames job was with pubbies, after two ragequit and were quickly replaced I just said "gently caress it, I will clear out the floors, you lot sit in the stairwell and wait for me to say okay to grab items".

Ten minutes later we were hauling gold up the stairs.

I've seen it work pretty effectively when the ghost has one smooth talker tagging along slightly behind him, with two people on camera duty.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

fronz posted:

The pager responses are the absolute funniest thing in the game. "Oh, uh, sorry. I was trying to order a pizza."

Everything is just as you described...only with more feeling.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

fronz posted:

I love some of Wolf's ones... "Hello, this is... Steve... Please leave a message after the beep. Beeeeep. ...Just kidding, it's me Steve. Everything's fine."

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

I swear I heard one the other day that was just a bunch of fart noises. I don't know why the pager operator accepted it. The one about getting hit by a pigeon is pretty funny, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013
gonna try learning the bank heist stealthed solo. come laugh at my misery.

http://www.twitch.tv/chuckledow

• Locked thread