Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heatvision
Jul 24, 2009
Oh man I've been obsessed with this sort of stuff since I heard Kavinsky during the opening of Drive about a year back. As far as music I'd like to toss out Noir Deco (they're featured on some of the Perturbator tracks). Link to my favourite track and their soundcloud.

https://soundcloud.com/noir-deco/noir-deco-future-noir

Also the newest album from Com Truise rules, check out Yxes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

So hey, Carpenter Brut.

http://carpenterbrut.bandcamp.com/track/disco-zombi-italia

Rest of the album is a bit more noise-orientated but there's enough synth and slap bass in this track to keep me happy.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

chefvinny posted:

'Beyond the Black Rainbow' is available on Netflix - a movie that's very similar in pacing to 'The House of the Devil', but with a much more stylized approach to '80's horror. While opinions are pretty much split on both films, their style alone makes them worth watching.

I just watched Beyond the Black Rainbow and while I appreciate the stylistic choices of the director I think the story is pretty weak. You were right though, the imagery and feel of it made it worth watching.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
It's a book, but I would say that After Dark by Haruki Murakami is rather Neon Underground. Or at least that's the imagery I had in my head when I read it.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Six Of Spades posted:

It's a book, but I would say that After Dark by Haruki Murakami is rather Neon Underground. Or at least that's the imagery I had in my head when I read it.

No buts! Books are especially welcome, suggestions are so hard to find when it comes to them.

WickedIcon posted:

Only God Forgives is, by design, kinda like bizarro Drive.

HOW did I miss this before? I know what I'm watching tonight.

Penguingo posted:

So hey, Carpenter Brut.

http://carpenterbrut.bandcamp.com/track/disco-zombi-italia

Rest of the album is a bit more noise-orientated but there's enough synth and slap bass in this track to keep me happy.

Fantastic.

RationalTangle
Jan 6, 2012
Since books are allowed, I can't recommend Neal Stephenson's "Snow Crash" enough. The book is a love-letter to cheesy cyberpunk. For a more serious tone, William Gibson's Sprawl Trilogy - "Neuromancer", "Count Zero", and "Mona Lisa Overdrive" - is also fantastic.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
Actually, I think William Gibson's Virtual Light series (Virtual Light, Idoru, All Tomorrow's Parties) is a better bet, if only because they're later works benefiting from experience. They have more of a pace and style, I think.

I guess the line between Neon Underground and Cyberpunk is the introduction of speculative fiction stuff, but either way I love the neon aesthetic.

I saw Only God Forgives today, and I loved it! Psychopathy and revenge plots galore.

Oh, also, since Danger was brought up in the thread, I figure that Nero might also be a good fit. Crush on You and My Eyes fit the vibe really well.

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
Gonna chime in with La Roux's "In For the Kill".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXtATeQ7GKg

e: Actually a bunch of her songs have that Eurythmics New-wavey sound. I really dig her stuff.

e part 2: Also MSTRKRFT's "The Looks" Album is chock full of 80's synth, especially tunes like "She's Good For Business"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZeHNMer03o

Propitious Jerk has a new favorite as of 01:29 on Aug 16, 2013

Caveman Cat
Oct 20, 2012

MAJOR
More music!

ActRazer
"Thief". Really atmospheric tune. Haven't gotten tired of it yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euEOgtwsyR4

Lost Years
"The Hunger"
http://soundcloud.com/lostyears/lost-years-the-hunger-short

"Lightbringers". Music starts at about 0:57.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjif2ecFzYc

Inpossible
Oct 9, 2012

This is some commercial for a club in Ibiza i think. It was posted in the youtube thread (i think) a while ago, and it is really cool:

IBIZIOUS ENERGY DRINK :nws: For people with boobs and such dancing in the end

Seems to fit the style too.

Inpossible has a new favorite as of 13:38 on Aug 16, 2013

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

I wish that was a real energy drink because that ad made me want to buy the poo poo out of it.

drat.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Inpossible posted:

This is some commercial for a club in Ibiza i think. It was posted in the youtube thread (i think) a while ago, and it is really cool:

God drat this is amazing.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Lisa Frank is exactly the kind of artist yall're talkin about.

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
So 80's

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

I think you guys will like this song/video.

http://vimeo.com/groups/12082/videos/4195809

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
Powerglove also did the awesome music for the letter Y in The ABCs of Death, which is a great (if very disturbing) movie by the way :)

:nws:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqbUMs_HXu4

Das Butterbrot has a new favorite as of 16:03 on Aug 19, 2013

Rain Temple
Apr 29, 2008

ECIFIRCAS KIMSOK
I don't think anyone's posted them yet so here's Warning. It's not really "retro" since it's actually from the 80s, but I think the aesthetics and the sound fit with everything in the thread so far. The vocals are a bit... unexpected, but that's part of why they're so good.

I actually only heard of them because Pungent Stench covered their song 'Why Can The Bodies Fly', which itself was used as the theme music for an episode of the German cop show Tatort (if you're into your trivia).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDK3-b4Lpz0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM_kbcpoMYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnWN6kqE-Dk

There's also the absolutely amazing artwork by graphic designer Alessandro Strickner which he does under the name Overglow:

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

chefvinny posted:

'Beyond the Black Rainbow' is available on Netflix - a movie that's very similar in pacing to 'The House of the Devil', but with a much more stylized approach to '80's horror. While opinions are pretty much split on both films, their style alone makes them worth watching.

If you hated the forced psychedelic drug philosophy (coming from a master of armchair psychedelic philosophy) of 'Into the Void' you might like 'Beyond the Black Rainbow'. I've found between peers to be a clear divide between people who liked Into The Void not liking Beyond the Black Rainbow, and vice versa.

I also feel Bladerunner should be included in the OP.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

RizieN posted:

I also feel Bladerunner should be included in the OP.

You have no idea how torn I am on either thinking it's a 100% fit or a 0% one.

Palpatine MD
Jan 31, 2012

Passionate about your involuntary euthanasia.
I think the latest Dredd movie sort of fits within the genre. It's cyberpunk ultra-violence set in a neon-lit urban dystopia. The music is also great, a mix of seedy industrial and thumping electro.

DoktorSandvich
May 15, 2011
Outrun Europa just got released a few weeks back (the day after I watched drive, so I fell in love with it instantly), a free 30 song compilation album that fits the thread. the guy who set it all up, George Gold, does music in the same vein, but I just learned that while typing this up so I dunno how good it is.

Rain Temple
Apr 29, 2008

ECIFIRCAS KIMSOK

DoktorSandvich posted:

the guy who set it all up, George Gold, does music in the same vein, but I just learned that while typing this up so I dunno how good it is.

It's really, really good. He does music under the name Nightcrawler. And after listening to Outrun Europa for a while, Nightcrawler's 'Broken Dreams' is the stand out track (for me anyway). Here's his soundcloud.

This is the Nightcrawler song on Outrun Europa.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0-Cm-mVf4Q
Can't stop listening to it.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Schurik posted:

Yes I do, I have a great idea, haha. But when in doubt (don't) go without. Plus there's plenty of neon in the movie, and it has a seedy underground, though it is a bit more cyberpunk than the rest of the list.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Schurik posted:

It has tons of neons and ridiculous "futuristic" fashion. Definitely a 100% fit if you ask me. And if we're talking movies, then I guess Escape From New York counts as well? Doesn't really have a neony aesthetic, but does have a ridiculously overblown gritty vision of the then-future, and a really kickass synth soundtrack.

Anyway, everything these people release definitely fits here as well. And the "Valerie And Friends" compilation album (just Google it, it's pretty easy to find)

Also, the Cyberpunk 2020 tabletop RPG. It's pure, well, cyberpunk, complete with Japanese megacorporations that want to take over the world, flying cars, and the fact that being ridiculously 80's "cool" (leather jackets, mirrorshades and so on) is literally a character statistic.

Man, I'm so happy this thread's here, I've been on a neon 80's stylistic kick ever since I watched Drive.

Snake_in_a_box
Aug 26, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING AN LP SUPERSTAR
Two Guys in Japan by Flashworx fits this theme perfectly I think.

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski

Inpossible posted:

This completely floored me, it hits all the marks perfectly.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

chefvinny posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKCHXpSEtOU

Beyond the Black Rainbowns

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

M.Ciaster posted:

It has tons of neons and ridiculous "futuristic" fashion. Definitely a 100% fit if you ask me. And if we're talking movies, then I guess Escape From New York counts as well? Doesn't really have a neony aesthetic, but does have a ridiculously overblown gritty vision of the then-future, and a really kickass synth soundtrack.

Anyway, everything these people release definitely fits here as well. And the "Valerie And Friends" compilation album (just Google it, it's pretty easy to find)

Also, the Cyberpunk 2020 tabletop RPG. It's pure, well, cyberpunk, complete with Japanese megacorporations that want to take over the world, flying cars, and the fact that being ridiculously 80's "cool" (leather jackets, mirrorshades and so on) is literally a character statistic.

Man, I'm so happy this thread's here, I've been on a neon 80's stylistic kick ever since I watched Drive.

Also if this game ever comes to completion, the intro/teaser/kickstart video is sick: Cyberpunk 2077. I'm also happy this thread is here, it's my favorite style/genre by far, but there aren't a lot of great movies out there fitting the bill.

An almost close fit would be Johnny Mnemonic, but it's more cyberpunk grunge than it is neon.

Edit; That Ibizious energy drink commercial was loving awesome. Was that concert at the end staged or is that something I can attend?

RizieN has a new favorite as of 15:53 on Aug 21, 2013

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

RizieN posted:

Also if this game ever comes to completion, the intro/teaser/kickstart video is sick: Cyberpunk 2077. I'm also happy this thread is here, it's my favorite style/genre by far, but there aren't a lot of great movies out there fitting the bill.

An almost close fit would be Johnny Mnemonic, but it's more cyberpunk grunge than it is neon.

Edit; That Ibizious energy drink commercial was loving awesome. Was that concert at the end staged or is that something I can attend?

Cyberpunk 2077 is actually based on the Cyberpunk 2020 RPG I mentioned earlier, from what I know! Kind of a shame they're moving it so far into the future - I'd have loved to play a video game version of the original, with its lack of e-mail, chunky blocky expensive cellphones, and everything looking like straight out of Robocop. Still, I've got a hunch I'm gonna play the hell out of it. CD Projekt Red are great at making games.

Actually, now that I think of it: how many cyberpunk games are out there? Off the top of my head the ones I can think of are: the old Neuromancer game from the 80's, Syndicate (both the original and the remake), the Blade Runner adventure game from '97, Deus Ex and its sequels, that one hacking game (Uplink, I think?), all three Shadowrun games (the SNES version, the Genesis version and the recently released Shadowrun: Returns), and uh... that'd be it, I guess?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

This guy (Spanish) has been putting up some amazing mixtapes based on that 80s neon period called Nightdriving - discovered them when I was reading a gameinformer article about the music of Blood Dragon. He has 8 volumes now which currently can be found at http://whiskysoloconhielo.blogspot.com/2013/01/nightdrivings-resubida-mega.html and http://whiskysoloconhielo.blogspot.com.es/2013/06/nightdriving-vol-8.html . Very very much worth a listen and listening to while driving way too fast.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

M.Ciaster posted:

Cyberpunk 2077 is actually based on the Cyberpunk 2020 RPG I mentioned earlier, from what I know! Kind of a shame they're moving it so far into the future - I'd have loved to play a video game version of the original, with its lack of e-mail, chunky blocky expensive cellphones, and everything looking like straight out of Robocop. Still, I've got a hunch I'm gonna play the hell out of it. CD Projekt Red are great at making games.

Actually, now that I think of it: how many cyberpunk games are out there? Off the top of my head the ones I can think of are: the old Neuromancer game from the 80's, Syndicate (both the original and the remake), the Blade Runner adventure game from '97, Deus Ex and its sequels, that one hacking game (Uplink, I think?), all three Shadowrun games (the SNES version, the Genesis version and the recently released Shadowrun: Returns), and uh... that'd be it, I guess?

Snatcher for sure (since it's basically Blade Runner.jp), and what about Blood Dragon?

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

M.Ciaster posted:

That's all I know about, and it's a goddamn shame too. Though I didn't know about a few of those so I'll get to go backwards and play them, if I think it'll be worth it anyway (I love the idea of playing games, but as I get older I can't just sit down and play them anymore). I'm kind of stoked they moved Cyberpunk into 2077, it looks like it'll be more like Ghost in the Shell which I think would be pretty neato.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Cyberpunk in general kind of a weird one when it comes to fitting the bill, especially since it's a genre in and of itself. I like to think that usually as soon as any kind of sci-fi enters the picture, it becomes something else. Blood Dragon is a bit of an fringe case, since it feels something someone living in the Neon Underground would come up with. While i love Ghost in the Shell, Shadowrun and the like I don't think they fit.

Again, that's just me and the OP, which is 100% subjective.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I can see that for sure. There's a definite overlap between the two in most cases but also a definite difference. I suppose we could keep the cyberpunk out of it unless it's realllllllly close to the seedy neon underground (should we call this Neonpunk? Everything is punk!). I just wish there was more quality cyberpunk out there :(

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Phy posted:

Snatcher for sure (since it's basically Blade Runner.jp), and what about Blood Dragon?

Forgot about Snatcher entirely, and Blood Dragon was such an obvious choice I somehow forgot about it as well :v: To my defense, Blood Dragon is less Noir Cyberpunk (which is what most games/movies go for) and more Insane 80's Action B-Movie Cyberpunk (which is what we definitely need more of)

In fact, we definitely need more Cyberpunk, period. Especially since we're slowly starting to sort of become a cyberpunk world, what's with virtually everyone owning a device capable of connecting to the Internet, cyber artificial limbs getting closer and closer to being an actual reality and the whole Google Glass shebang (hell, we've even already got discrimination against augmented people - remember that guy who got thrown out of a French McDonald's?)

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Ceephax Acid Crew fits right in here, of course.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPyZGCKu2wg

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

M.Ciaster posted:

Forgot about Snatcher entirely, and Blood Dragon was such an obvious choice I somehow forgot about it as well :v: To my defense, Blood Dragon is less Noir Cyberpunk (which is what most games/movies go for) and more Insane 80's Action B-Movie Cyberpunk (which is what we definitely need more of)

In fact, we definitely need more Cyberpunk, period. Especially since we're slowly starting to sort of become a cyberpunk world, what's with virtually everyone owning a device capable of connecting to the Internet, cyber artificial limbs getting closer and closer to being an actual reality and the whole Google Glass shebang (hell, we've even already got discrimination against augmented people - remember that guy who got thrown out of a French McDonald's?)

And big mega corporate style government spying on us, and a group of anonymous neckbeards trying to fight them, and wiki leaks and Snowden and drones all this other poo poo. If I didn't hate it I'd love it. It's like we're living in the prologue to a really good (or bad) cyberpunk book. I can't wait to get to the 15th chapter.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Real life is pre-post-cyberpunk and I mentioned in the weird fanart thread (that's been talking about the same thing the past few days) that Bruce Sterling has taken to calling contemporary fiction "nowpunk".

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Found some thread relevant art while digging through an old image folder. Saved these ages ago and can't identify any of the artists unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

RizieN posted:

It was a commercial for a club in Ibiza. So if you're in Ibiza, yes you can attend that club.
Las Vegas has some similar (but smaller) clubs.

• Locked thread