Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Dr. Fetus posted:

It's probably Tarshtra that's triggering it. Those 3 letters trip off a lot of Nintendo's profanity filters.

...that didn't occur to me, obviously. Huh. I'll have to make a new character in EO4 and see if Tarsht triggers it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There, fixed.

You know, truth be told, that only makes the smiley face more adorable, not less. It looks mischievous now.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

You know, truth be told, that only makes the smiley face more adorable, not less. It looks mischievous now.

I don't trust the two on the right. They look like they're colluding about something.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I don't care what demographic you fall under. If you don't think the system transfer animation is adorable then there's something wrong with you.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I feel like when your profanity filter is targeting things that aren't actually curse words because they look like they might be an attempt to sneak around filters, you've gone too far.

For a while there you couldn't even trade your Weedle or Cofagrius online because they kept getting caught by Pokemon Global Link profanity filter.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I feel like when your profanity filter is targeting things that aren't actually curse words because they look like they might be an attempt to sneak around filters, you've gone too far.

You just described Nintendo's entire online policy.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Said filter also included foreign swears, even if they were legitimate words in the English language. Like pine, which was filtered because it was French for dick.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Onean posted:

see if Tarsht triggers it.

Surprising nobody, it does trigger it. Oh well, at least Tarsh works, along with the other half dozen names I use.

Edit: Most of which I just realized are 5 letters long. :v:

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Prorat posted:

Amazing new Yoshi's New Island footage. Looks almost exactly like the SNES version. New music too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8P5gdFjcWQ

edit: classic Yoshi's Island boss battle at the end of the video, fuckin' Kamek and his transformation magic!
I really hope this game turns out good, but I'm pretty sure it will be poo poo.
I don't like the art style and it looks like they still haven't learned how to make a camera in a 2D platformer.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

.TakaM posted:

I don't like the art style and it looks like they still haven't learned how to make a camera in a 2D platformer.

The art style is loving ugly. Like how do you go from the gorgeous looking original game and end up with... that? Like that second level looks like someone just smudged greenish brown paint around with their hands until a level happened.

I guess they were trying to go for the style of the intro of Yoshi's Island but that part looked pretty bad too and at least Yoshi's Island DS tried to keep the aesthetics the same. The only thing I did like from that video was the Kamek transformation for the boss at the end cause it's always fun to see one of the regular enemies turning into a big boss.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

.TakaM posted:

It tracks the player accurately while giving ample time to react to new threats on both sides of the screen, that looks about right to me. How's a camera supposed to work in a 2D platformer :confused:

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
YNI bashing aside, apparently BIT.TRIP.SAGA. is going to be five bucks on the eShop from September 1st to the 15th. I'm totally buying that so I won't have to buy them separately on Steam! :)

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Macaluso posted:

Like that second level looks like someone just smudged greenish brown paint around with their hands until a level happened.

I think you're being just a bit too irrational about this. There are a lot of complaints to make about that art style, but it certainly doesn't look amateurish.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I picked up Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon and I am loving it so far, although it does have its annoyances. Specifically, that god drat DSphone. I am also a little disappointed that there doesn't seem to be as much character to the ghosts. I really liked how in the first one some of the ghosts seemed to be actual representations of people who used to live in the mansion.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Luigi's Mansion 2 is pretty good but it could've done with less puzzles and more enemies per level. I don't remember catching more than 5-15 ghosts per level until the last one where it goes insane and just shits out 50 enemies with a (thankfully lenient) time limit and no checkpoints.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Said filter also included foreign swears, even if they were legitimate words in the English language. Like pine, which was filtered because it was French for dick.

I remember EA had this going on for some of their games, where you couldn't say words like "ask" because they were obscure swears in certain dialects of eastern European languages.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Prorat posted:

Amazing new Yoshi's New Island footage. Looks almost exactly like the SNES version. New music too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8P5gdFjcWQ

edit: classic Yoshi's Island boss battle at the end of the video, fuckin' Kamek and his transformation magic!

Why do the stages look so god drat plain? There's no life to them and it makes them look like Yoshi is running down barren corridors with the occasional enemy hazard.

Compare to the original: Even a flat cave corridor has mushrooms to pretty everything up and even have enemies or yourself jumping on them, or partial cave walls with enemies popping out from behind them, and the backgrounds were usually animated in some way to add a lot of life to the game.

It's ironic that the game is 3D because it's awfully flat looking. I would stay far, far away from this one.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Dr. Fetus posted:

I'm guessing "bite" was filtered as well?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Honestly, I'm not really excited for the yoshi game at all. I really want too because Yoshi's Island is the poo poo but, it just looks so boring and lifeless. I don't really like the art style of the Link to another past either. I just want another game like Super Mario Galaxy from Nintendo again, :sigh:. Is the bonus content in DKC returns worth getting if I've already beaten the Wii version? Also, is there another Advance Wars game in the works? That series felt like it was just building up to it's FE: Awakening but it just sort of fell off the face of the earth. And what's Retro up to these days? Has Nintendo announced their next project?

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Austrian mook posted:

Is the bonus content in DKC returns worth getting if I've already beaten the Wii version? Also, is there another Advance Wars game in the works? That series felt like it was just building up to it's FE: Awakening but it just sort of fell off the face of the earth. And what's Retro up to these days? Has Nintendo announced their next project?

DKCR3DS bonus content is another world of levels after the main meat of the game, and honestly they're not that great in the context of the game itself. It's really only worth it if you're a die-hard fan of DKCR. There's no formal announcement for Advance Wars as of yet - the developers have worked on FE: Awakening alongside Paper Mario: Sticker Star and the Pullblox/Crashblox games, so it's fair to say they have had (and will continue to have) a lot on their plate in terms of developing for the 3DS. As for Retro Studios, they're actually working on the sequel to the first game you were talking about - Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

StevenM posted:

DKCR3DS bonus content is another world of levels after the main meat of the game, and honestly they're not that great in the context of the game itself. It's really only worth it if you're a die-hard fan of DKCR. There's no formal announcement for Advance Wars as of yet - the developers have worked on FE: Awakening alongside Paper Mario: Sticker Star and the Pullblox/Crashblox games, so it's fair to say they have had (and will continue to have) a lot on their plate in terms of developing for the 3DS. As for Retro Studios, they're actually working on the sequel to the first game you were talking about - Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze.

Oh right! I forgot all about that. Man, Sticker Star was a huge dissapointment. :sigh: I wish I could tell my self 3 years ago that the 3DS lineup wouldn't be nearly half as cool as he thought it would be since like half of the games he wanted would end up sucking. :(

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

homeless snail posted:

I'm a 26 year old guy and I want to add oh my god the sales rabbit is dangerously loving cute. How can something so cute exist, how?? He has to look up the prices on his tablet oh my god :swoon:

What sales rabbit? I didn't see any rabbit when I purchased a game from the 3DS store. I feel like I'm missing out on some crucial experience :(

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I was really excited for this when it was first getting hype but lost interest after the only version I wanted (360) got delayed for so long, even after playing that demo. It's so perfect for the 3DS though. I wonder how it will look in 3D.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Xik posted:

What sales rabbit? I didn't see any rabbit when I purchased a game from the 3DS store. I feel like I'm missing out on some crucial experience :(

The rabbit is part of the Streetpass Plaza app.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I was really excited for this when it was first getting hype but lost interest after the only version I wanted (360) got delayed for so long, even after playing that demo. It's so perfect for the 3DS though. I wonder how it will look in 3D.

The 3DS versions won't support stereoscopic 3D.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Xik posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5J3QaJaZGo
Don't look directly at the sales rabbit or he might seduce you with his cute salesmanship :ohdear:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The 3DS versions won't support stereoscopic 3D.

That's really lame but oh well. Hopefully it's at least widescreen + native resolution.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't think it's native res, either... I remember reading something from the dev about the reduced field of view. I never bothered to play the final game after all those delays, I guess it's still 640x480 despite being a faux-NES game.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Is there a source for Retro City Rampage not having 3D support? That's kind of a dealbreaker for me. I've been interested in the game for ages, and hearing that it's coming to the 3DS was exciting as hell until this came up.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
http://www.retrocityrampage.com/20130821.php

quote:

The 3DS version is the first that's required significant development work. While all previous versions were nearly pixel-for-pixel identical, the dual screens, lower resolution and less beefy processor meant some things had to go back to the drawing board. Quality's important to me and for it to play well, it wasn't going to be a quick-n-dirty port. It packs all of the same content as the other versions, including the new Retro+ Enhanced Graphics mode, but every mission is being tweaked and adjusted to run best with the zoomed in camera. I'm also still working on the best ways to utilize the bottom screen for both convenience and gameplay. I'm not a fan of flow-breaking minigames, but selecting weapons, scrolling the minimap, or even using the screen for dual-stick style shooting are on my list to explore.

The main game is 2D, just like the other platforms. While just as much as you, I would love to play RCR in 3D, with a top down angle, a conversion wouldn't be trivial. With sidescrollers, developers can simply separate the background and foreground layers and distance them apart. However, with a top down perspective using cube-like objects such as buildings and vehicles, it would require the graphics to all be recreated as 3D objects, a new rendering engine, a camera system that players would be happy with, and further optimizations. For a new game it would be more feasible, but for an existing one, it simply would've taken too long.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Zelda A Link Between Worlds is the first game I've been excited enough to pre-order since Major's Mask on n64.

I can't find any pre-order bonus info, if there is going to be a pre-order bonus is it normal to wait until closer to release to announce it? I don't want to pre-order from the wrong place and miss out on some free swag if it becomes available.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
I fuckin' love the e-shop bag. Sometimes I download really huge demos just so I can watch the little guy.

Streetpass bunny though, I dunno. It feels like he's trying to sell me something :tinfoil:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I can't remember the last time I preordered a game because I was worried about not getting it... usually I only pre-order if there is some savings like an Amazon game credit.

Amarie
Mar 24, 2004

I want you to meet my little friend, Mister Stabby!
What is a decent, but not horribly expensive router that will work OK with a 3DS? I keep getting conflicting reviews on them and I don't want to have to pay 150+ if I don't have to. I have a tiny apartment and don't need a long range. It probably came up but I don't have time to comb 300+ pages.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ToysRus is doing a video game sale. Buy one get one 40% off. Looks like most stuff is included like pokemon preorders.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I just redeemed my $30 for FE+SMT. It only worked if I changed my region to US, so I have to spend exactly $30 before I switch back to my region - can't knock $30 off Mario and Luigi like I was hoping. I think I might just get Soul Hackers but I don't know if exactly $30 could be spent better elsewhere.

Edit: Screw it I don't want a bunch of Virtual Console games I'll play once, I'm getting Soul Hackers

WAIT Soul hackers doesn't fit on the default card. I'm gonna keep it for DLC

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 22, 2013

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

McFunkerson posted:

Zelda A Link Between Worlds is the first game I've been excited enough to pre-order since Major's Mask on n64.

I can't find any pre-order bonus info, if there is going to be a pre-order bonus is it normal to wait until closer to release to announce it? I don't want to pre-order from the wrong place and miss out on some free swag if it becomes available.

Couldn't you just preorder it on Amazon and cancel the order before release if another store offers a better price/bonus? They don't charge you prior to shipping so it shouldn't be a problem.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Zero Escape: VLR is on the eShop now for $24.99. :unsmigghh:

Does this mean they fixed the save bug?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The E-shop bag reminds me of the suitcase from Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time. Back to adventure!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Pollyanna posted:

Zero Escape: VLR is on the eShop now for $24.99. :unsmigghh:

Does this mean they fixed the save bug?

No, just don't save in puzzle rooms. Can we put that in the OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm pretty sure he already knows about that. But supposedly the reason VLR was not in the eShop earlier was because Aksys or whomever would not release it until they had a version free of the saving bug. So maybe it's fixed now? Hopefully won't take too long to confirm.

• Locked thread