Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Phylodox posted:

I just hate people who think there's only one way to tell a story (their way).

I'm not sure it's really "their" way; most developers and industry figures seem way gentler and more open about the idea of expanding game narrative and action beyond nonstop shooting and violence. Almost as if the bulk of the people who get outraged about games like this existing at all are either horrible troglodytes without a thoughtful or creative bone or literal children. Entitlement is pretty much the best word for it, regardless of how people whine about games journalists overusing the term.

"The only things you're allowed to create are the things I want to experience" is even more insidious than "the only good stories are the kind I tell".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sure do love when I decide to check out the criticism a game has before buying it. Of course some loving rear end in a top hat who didn't like the game decided to spoil the ending. It's like Nier. I spend a few days working towards the awful ending and one of my retarded airhead friends just blabs about the whole goddamn thing and about how bad they felt about the ending.

I want to feel bad about endings too. :(

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I'm not sure it's really "their" way; most developers and industry figures seem way gentler and more open about the idea of expanding game narrative and action beyond nonstop shooting and violence.

I wasn't talking about the developers. I was talking about the raving fanboys who keep insisting Gone Home "isn't a game" because it doesn't have "excitement" or "killing stuff".

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Blast of Confetti posted:

Sure do love when I decide to check out the criticism a game has before buying it. Of course some loving rear end in a top hat who didn't like the game decided to spoil the ending. It's like Nier. I spend a few days working towards the awful ending and one of my retarded airhead friends just blabs about the whole goddamn thing and about how bad they felt about the ending.

I want to feel bad about endings too. :(

Since it is a Bad "Game" (like it's even a game, psh), you don't mind it getting spoiled for you, do you? I mean, it's not like you were going to enjoy it, being Bad Games and all.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Since it is a Bad "Game" (like it's even a game, psh), you don't mind it getting spoiled for you, do you? I mean, it's not like you were going to enjoy it, being Bad Games and all.
Really. There's no guns or Slenderman or anything. Instead its all about this stupid family and how the daughter likes girls, like they actually expect me to relate to realistic characters? Where's my vapid escapism? This is such pretentious hipster feminist poo poo, 1/10.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 23, 2013

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

This thread is officially a minefield for people curious and considering buying.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

teethgrinder posted:

This thread is officially a minefield for people curious and considering buying.
In the same way that everything the devs have said is also a minefield. Before release they were extremely clear that this was not a horror game and that nothing would ever jump out at you. I backed a bit off the "not a horror game" in the OP because someone complained but honestly I don't see what the big deal is if you just say "yep it's a game about a house." Tricking gamers into thinking they're playing Slenderman is funny I guess but I don't think you should get annoyed at people for refusing to play along.

Also that System Shock video is the best thing.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

A lot of us stumbled in blind because, "oooh look, shiny new game on Steam!" (and the store page made it sound interesting) (and it was!)

I personally feel I enjoyed it better for that. I would have probably ignored it had I seen the dev stuff prior.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I purposefully avoided most of the dev stuff but I knew that Gone Home was a game by Hot Scoops so I couldn't help but buy it at release.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Phylodox posted:

I wasn't talking about the developers. I was talking about the raving fanboys who keep insisting Gone Home "isn't a game" because it doesn't have "excitement" or "killing stuff".

That's a bit of an oversimplification, don't you think? I would consider it pretty reasonable to criticize this game relatively to its price tag for being pretty light on the "game" stuff. It's 20 bucks and it's ALL story. A very drawn-in, specific story. And if that doesn't do anything for you, that's a pretty hard sell. Doesn't Dear Esther do something similar at like, half the price?

Granted, it could be done a lot more politely, but, internet. Lately, the internet seems to be responding really harshly in general to games that are being hailed as "GROUNDBREAKING 10/10, MOVES THE INDUSTRY FORWARD, I WANT TO KISS THE DEV'S FEET" and don't measure up in practice after they pay for them. Looking at you, Bioshock.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I've never heard anyone criticize a short movie for being pretty light on the "film" stuff and still charging as much for its DVD as a 3 hour epic.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Of course you haven't, that'd be insane.

Interesting side note, films aren't games.

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

I feel a little weird that, despite my love for weird 'non-games' (Dear Esther), I couldn't really get into this. I check some of the boxes for the Relate-o-meter (young, female, non-heterosexual), but I wasn't ever a teen in the 90's, no interest in punk or riot grrl, no rebellious phase (I was too busy being a massive nerd during my teen years), no siblings, and I never went to high school, either. It feels like having a birth year some time in 1980-something is a requirement for enjoying Gone Home. Sure, I remember TV shows recorded on VHS and the days before internet and cell phones, but those weren't my formative years, and they don't hold nostalgia for me. I enjoyed this game for being a loud and confident statement about what games can do, what games should be, but I didn't enjoy it for what it was: to paraphrase a poster earlier in the thread, a mildly spooky historic mansion exploration simulator with a neat short story.

In contrast, Dear Esther moved me, because it so perfectly captures the mood and feeling of, I guess I would say 'peace in loneliness'. It's a great exploration of of mental illness, without any pretentions or messages. I felt like an outsider playing Gone Home, but Dear Esther gave my outsiderness a home to dwell, and that's why it's my favorite game.

Also, Dear Esther had better music than Gone Home. :colbert:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

suztan posted:

It feels like having a birth year some time in 1980-something is a requirement for enjoying Gone Home.

I was born in the early-mid-1990s and I hate Dear Esther, yet Gone Home is already a strong contender for my GOTY 2013. :confused:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

suztan posted:

Also, Dear Esther had better music than Gone Home. :colbert:
I agree with this, only because Dear Esther's soundtrack is loving amazing. I did like the period cassettes and records in this game though. It's hardly something I grew up with at all, but they capture the mood of the period well.

quote:

In contrast, Dear Esther moved me, because it so perfectly captures the mood and feeling of, I guess I would say 'peace in loneliness'. It's a great exploration of of mental illness, without any pretentions or messages. I felt like an outsider playing Gone Home, but Dear Esther gave my outsiderness a home to dwell, and that's why it's my favorite game.
Dear Esther did capture that sense of loneliness and isolation exceptionally well, even if you did continually have the voice in your ear.

I think it's interesting that Gone Home might have gone in a similar direction, had they gone for a more stereotypical 'tortured gay youth' plot. That they didn't, and Sam actually turns out to be a strong character who lives as she wants to, means she is easier to admire but possibly harder to relate to or identify with.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
It's perfectly reasonable for people to not want to pay $20 for a 3-hour game with not much replay value.

VJeff posted:

That's a bit of an oversimplification, don't you think? I would consider it pretty reasonable to criticize this game relatively to its price tag for being pretty light on the "game" stuff. It's 20 bucks and it's ALL story. A very drawn-in, specific story. And if that doesn't do anything for you, that's a pretty hard sell. Doesn't Dear Esther do something similar at like, half the price?

Granted, it could be done a lot more politely, but, internet. Lately, the internet seems to be responding really harshly in general to games that are being hailed as "GROUNDBREAKING 10/10, MOVES THE INDUSTRY FORWARD, I WANT TO KISS THE DEV'S FEET" and don't measure up in practice after they pay for them. Looking at you, Bioshock.

I think the reaction combines two major forces of the internet: misogyny and contrariness.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I certainly got $18 out of Gone Home, and the game has stuck with me for quite some time. It's admittedly not for everybody though, and if someone is wavering on the concept I'd say stick it out until the inevitable Steam sale where you'll get it for like $5. It's equal parts baffling and amusing that a game advertising itself as "no combat, no puzzles" is met with criticism that there aren't even any scary ghosts or challenging sections. Will somebody please address the severe social issue of functional illiteracy in today's gaming population.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I certainly got $18 out of Gone Home, and the game has stuck with me for quite some time. It's admittedly not for everybody though, and if someone is wavering on the concept I'd say stick it out until the inevitable Steam sale where you'll get it for like $5. It's equal parts baffling and amusing that a game advertising itself as "no combat, no puzzles" is met with criticism that there aren't even any scary ghosts or challenging sections. Will somebody please address the severe social issue of functional illiteracy in today's gaming population.

It would have helped a lot if they defined themselves as something other than a game, which it really isn't. I liked it, I enjoyed it experience; I think I paid too much for it but whatever. I think someone earlier in the thread said that it was more akin to a "visual novel" but I haven't played any of those so I wouldn't know.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Visual Novels tend to be like Phoenix Wright with less gameplay and more words.

Edit: They really are pretty much just novels with art, music, and some branching paths.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Grapplejack posted:

It would have helped a lot if they defined themselves as something other than a game, which it really isn't. I liked it, I enjoyed it experience; I think I paid too much for it but whatever. I think someone earlier in the thread said that it was more akin to a "visual novel" but I haven't played any of those so I wouldn't know.

It's a game, just under a broader definition than what you are used to. "Visual novel" doesn't really encapsulate what Gone Home does and in my mind is too reminiscent of those bad "interactive novels" on CD-ROM from the mid-90s.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

"Interactive fiction" is a term that's pretty much reserved for text adventures, as far as I can tell, but, taken literally, seems to describe Gone Home perfectly.

I'm perfectly fine with calling it a game though, especially if calling it a game will annoy people on the internet.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

docbeard posted:

"Interactive fiction" is a term that's pretty much reserved for text adventures, as far as I can tell, but, taken literally, seems to describe Gone Home perfectly.

I'm perfectly fine with calling it a game though, especially if calling it a game will annoy people on the internet.
Dear Esther billed itself as an 'art video' which was fairly apt. There's a linear path to follow and although the sound clips are randomised, the path is pretty linear. Gone Home is also art, in my opinion, but it's more of an interactive instalment than anything else - a bit like site specific theatre, with audio taking the place of physical actors. 'Virtual site-specific theatre' is a bit of a mouthful, anyway.

Edit: This was meant as a discussion of genre, not whether it's a game or not.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 23, 2013

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

It has its own little niche that you can call its own name but you're still a person walking around from a FPP and you actively interact with the environment to continue on. Its gameplay is shallow for the sake of allowing its details to become the focus, but at its core the game is still a game. It's a mystery game, but the mystery is "what happened here" and you find out about it by exploring, which is by itself one of the most important and most lauded aspects of a lot of the games released in the past couple of decades. I mean, we're talking Banjo Kazooie and Super Mario 64 here, where you're given a lot of room to just look around and find the little things. That in itself is still gameplay, albeit an extremely simple version of it.

Really as far as I'm concerned the conversation about "it isn't even a game" or "it's not worth the money" are getting to be extremely dull, because both sides have said what there is to say about it, and getting into it further just drives the argument into dumb analogies and tangents only partially related to whether or not Gone Home is a game worth $20. It's not like we're treading new ground with each reiteration of the argument, it's just something that people are going to have to agree to disagree on and not get worked up over the minor details to nitpick on either side.

To steer the conversation a little bit out of the way: From what I gather, each journal entry is tied to an item in the house. Seeing the item would activate the sound file, because it's Katie remembering a specific letter that Sam wrote. Does anybody have a list of what item goes with what topic/letter? I think it'd be interesting to see how they all fit together, because I thought a few were pretty random.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Holy poo poo can we not have this conversation please.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
I don't get why people are saying this isn't a horror game, Gone Home scared the hell out of me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMDaMK-9Tzc&hd=1

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Beautiful, my good man, simply beautiful. :golfclap:

That also reminds me that there was absolutely no reference to the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark books. They were totally 90's and I would have been so happy to see them.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Everdraed posted:

I don't get why people are saying this isn't a horror game, Gone Home scared the hell out of me!

Oh my god, I love Gone Home but I would play this version so loving hard if it existed.

Fullbright please add steam workshop support.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

That trailer, daamn.

Accordion Man posted:

That also reminds me that there was absolutely no reference to the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark books. They were totally 90's and I would have been so happy to see them.
Eh, Katie would probably have been too old/disinterested in them, and Sam probably would have thought they were too childish. She was trying to find real ghosts and doesn't afraid of anything

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Kegluneq posted:

Eh, Katie would probably have been too old/disinterested in them, and Sam probably would have thought they were too childish. She was trying to find real ghosts and doesn't afraid of anything
You are never too old for the illustrations, they are awesome. :colbert:

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

This game would be a lot better with more jump scares. Oh, and some enemies, and guns to shoot them with. Maybe a romance option with the Christmas Duck too.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Has anyone tried this game with the Occulus? Seems like it would be a prime candidate.

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

criticism that there aren't even any scary ghosts

I can't speak for the gamers.txt crowd, but the comparisons to Dear Esther inevitably lead people to expect the paranormal hidden in plain sight(which contributed to replay value for me). The mood of the game seemed to cultivate this. I've heard about whispers in the basement and creaking sounds, but I don't think I encountered them at all during my playthrough.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

Everdraed posted:

I'd like to thank you specifically for the get out frog being included right next to the appropriate post-it.

:frogout:

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

The story of this game is alright but the fact that the house creeps people out even though the box screams "Peaceful 90s Simulator" makes it a goddamn masterpiece. I hope somebody is paying attention.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I've never played Dear Esther, but since it keeps coming up in this thread I'm curious now. Is it a horror game?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Wandering Knitter posted:

I've never played Dear Esther, but since it keeps coming up in this thread I'm curious now. Is it a horror game?

No. Like Gone Home, it has a semi-creepy setting and some parts where you're walking around in the dark, but it is an emotional story game.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

the black husserl posted:

The story of this game is alright but the fact that the house creeps people out even though the box screams "Peaceful 90s Simulator" makes it a goddamn masterpiece. I hope somebody is paying attention.
Returning home late at night to find the place wrecked and nobody there is legitimately unsettling. The house itself is also pretty creepy.

It's possible to find evidence that explains where people are quite quickly, but for Katie it would still be a fairly tense period, as it would be for anyone in that situation. I know I'd be turning on every light if I were stuck in a house like that.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Steve Gaynor just had an interview about Gone Home on a local Portland news channel.

http://www.kgw.com/thesquare/Tech-Box----220901501.html

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I really enjoyed this. Kind of like Dear Ester, but likeably different. I probably had quite a different experience than most.

I opened up, but totally forgot about the secret passage in the basement. So as I finally convinced myself that I had searched everywhere, I ventured into the attic. I heeded Sam's note and turned off all the lights on the second floor before I opened it, just in case I might accidentally ruin some photos. I arrive at the end of the story and nearly cried. I never got any of the information from the Kitchen, Greenhouse, Garage, or the magazine room. I ended the story feeling that the Dad was turning to drinking as his books were not selling at all and his frustration in trying again caused him to rage out at his dad who seemed supportive in his own way. Mom was probably feeling alone and helpless at anything but her job, reading marriage-rescue books and how-to-raise-a-teen ones. I was afraid they came home to find the house a mess with no Sam and not even a real clue why she was gone that they just collapsed in grief. Leaving the house as quickly as possible to get away from it all or go looking for their little girl.

Thankfully, I learned that I had missed this whole area and went back. The parents won't be 100% in shock about why Sam isn't going to be there when Katie tells them anywhere from all to nothing about what happened. They are going on an Anniversary trip on a high of Terry's books being reprinted and even continued. Mom got a promotion and is working with people she gets along with. Though, I'm still sad that I can't see a way Katie could ever contact Sam on her own.

Also, only after these 2 ending runs did I ever piece together why a lot of electronics were missing. Lonnie and Sam were really striking off on their own. For good, it seems and felt that they had to do it.

Not the happiest ending, but thank god it wasn't what I thought. :unsmith:

Worth $20? For me, yes. If there was one thing that made it, it was the voice acting. I really loved the texture(?) of the voice over, really connected with me somehow. I know anyone I decide to recommend this too will enjoy it as much as I have.

Roumba fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

Steve Gaynor just had an interview about Gone Home on a local Portland news channel.

http://www.kgw.com/thesquare/Tech-Box----220901501.html
There's not much new in there, but drat, she is a good gaming journalist. I've never seen an equivalent show here do a similar report without dropping into condescension almost immediately.

• Locked thread