Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Vorgen posted:

So its going to be made of Rifts Sourcebooks?

Oh wait... Rifts, the rift, the gates holding the rifts closed... I finally figured it out! The Gates open to a world with a horribly complicated game system that nobody can figure out, the spawn of too many 15-year-old boys with too much algebra knowledge and not enough imagination. The multiplicity of stats! The half-assed ideas! Horrors too great beyond imagining!

FATAL? So the rift really was between Girard's buttcheeks all along...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

my dad posted:

FATAL? So the rift really was between Girard's buttcheeks all along...

Roll d100?

:barf: oh god I don't even play P&P games why can't I get that poo poo out of my head :barf:

Regalingualius fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 23, 2013

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Vorgen posted:

So its going to be made of Rifts Sourcebooks?

Oh wait... Rifts, the rift, the gates holding the rifts closed... I finally figured it out! The Gates open to a world with a horribly complicated game system that nobody can figure out, the spawn of too many 15-year-old boys with too much algebra knowledge and not enough imagination. The multiplicity of stats! The half-assed ideas! Horrors too great beyond imagining!

The Snarl is the 3rd-party splatbook apocalypse! It's killed 3rd and 3.5, and now it's going to kill us too!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Snarl was a baby the last time the gods saw it. A big angry baby that destroyed the world, but still a baby. Imagine if the only human you had ever seen was a toddler throwing a temper tantrum, and you thought that was the whole of human behavior.

The Snarl is literally supposed to be made of the stuff of creation. The threads of creation tangled by petty gods. I wonder if it hurts to be tangled? After destroying the world and striking out at one fourth of its parents, the Snarl got to watch the remaining gods weave its prison, weave a new world around it. If it was more than merely a force of mindless destruction, then it is possible that it was learning as it watched.

Time passes. Is the entity inside the prison still a tantruming child? Nobody knows.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Really, what's to say the Snarl didn't just...mellow the gently caress out in its prison and decide to do something constructive? Maybe it was pure chaos and deicidal fury once, but is it now?
Maybe it still is pure chaos. Truly pure chaos looks an awful lot like order.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
It took Roy's sword generating the anti-undead energy for him to crack the pyramid crystal. Does this mean the gate crystals involve evil/negative energy?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Hog Butcher posted:

It took Roy's sword generating the anti-undead energy for him to crack the pyramid crystal. Does this mean the gate crystals involve evil/negative energy?

Until otherwise told I just assume it was for added dramatic effect.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Maybe it still is pure chaos. Truly pure chaos looks an awful lot like order.

Chaos is just order that's too complex to understand.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hog Butcher posted:

I'm on record (though I can't be arsed to look up the post) as saying that I think Roy's energy effect happens every time he critically hits. The extra damage against undead/evil (since it hurt Sabine too) is similar to other "burst" weapons that do extra fire damage or cold damage or what not when you critically hit. Same deal here, just with custom anti-evil energy instead.

So the energy in the gate's case just indicated that Roy hit it really well, and the critical hit bonus is what killed the gate, not the energy effect itself.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
You can't critically hit objects, though.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mystic Mongol posted:

You can't critically hit objects, though.

The gates are alive!

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
You cant crit undead in 3.5 either. Im betting on dramatic effect, although i woulnt be surprised either if it turns out to have been important in 200 strips...

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

peak debt posted:

You cant crit undead in 3.5 either. Im betting on dramatic effect, although i woulnt be surprised either if it turns out to have been important in 200 strips...

Xykon is alive!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Maybe it just activates when you threaten, not crit. :iiam:

Or it happens when the plot deems it important. :v:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Critical hits is a very clunky mechanism, which shows its incoherences.

One the one hand, it's a function of the wielder's skill. You have to roll a threat (natural 20 with most weapons, can be a whole range of numbers with some minmaxed cheese), and then make another successful attack roll to confirm. If confirmed,

On the other hand, it's a function of the target. It needs to have an anatomy with vulnerable organs.

On the third hand, it's a function of the weapon. If it has a "burst" effect, then it'll activate randomly from time to time, this is chosen by having it activated during critical hits.

The way I've always played it is that certain monsters such as undead, constructs, oozes, elementals, etc. are merely immune to critical hits. The subtlety is that it doesn't mean you cannot inflict critical hits on them -- you can. But they'll be immune to the extra damage from the critical hit. In the same way, a red dragon is immune to fire, but you can still throw a fireball at it. It will not inflict any damage to the dragon, but it'll happen nonetheless. So, if you have a burst weapon, then you do have a good reason to try to confirm critical hits on undead & co.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Glory of Arioch posted:

Or it happens when the plot deems it important. :v:

Told you Elan was going to be worth having around. "Roy! Wait two rounds to hit or you'll critically miss because THE PLOT WILLS IT!"

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Finally got around to reading the Haleo and Julelan story, and it makes me wonder

Something about it feels oddly prophetic, though V hasn't died yet (Though I think he's supposed to?) I wonder if Nale going to come back as a vampire-whatever somehow.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Zogundar posted:

Finally got around to reading the Haleo and Julelan story, and it makes me wonder

Something about it feels oddly prophetic, though V hasn't died yet (Though I think he's supposed to?) I wonder if Nale going to come back as a vampire-whatever somehow.

You do realize that Haleo and Julelan is based on Romeo and Juliet, right? And that pretty much all the deaths come straight from the play? Belkar is the one who's literally prophesied to "take his last breath, ever" in this story. V is in the clear.

The only way I see Nale coming back into the story is as a demon and through Sabine's influence. I'm not really sure how likely that is. Burlew might want him for a final encounter for Elan, but I think Tarquin's been built up for that role instead.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Ursine Asylum posted:

Told you Elan was going to be worth having around. "Roy! Wait two rounds to hit or you'll critically miss because THE PLOT WILLS IT!"

They did that one already. More or less, that is.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

jng2058 posted:

I'm on record (though I can't be arsed to look up the post) as saying that I think Roy's energy effect happens every time he critically hits. The extra damage against undead/evil (since it hurt Sabine too) is similar to other "burst" weapons that do extra fire damage or cold damage or what not when you critically hit. Same deal here, just with custom anti-evil energy instead.

So the energy in the gate's case just indicated that Roy hit it really well, and the critical hit bonus is what killed the gate, not the energy effect itself.

My first thought was that maybe he just took 20, but then I remembered that you can only do that if you have a lot of time on your hands, which they most definitely did not with every recurring villain in the series headed their way. So yeah, I'd agree that the green positive energy flame shows up with a crit roll or whenever it's most dramatic to do so. Elan must be proud.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Uranium Phoenix posted:

You do realize that Haleo and Julelan is based on Romeo and Juliet, right? And that pretty much all the deaths come straight from the play? Belkar is the one who's literally prophesied to "take his last breath, ever" in this story. V is in the clear.

Yes I know all of that, but I find the stuff with Nale (His dying, his interaction with Tarquin) a little eyebrow raising given recent events.

As for V, when the Oracle was trying to convince Belkar that his prophecy had already come true for several of the people he asked about, he was cut off once he got to V. Suggesting that he would somehow have at least some roundabout technical connection to V's demise.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch

Zogundar posted:

Yes I know all of that, but I find the stuff with Nale (His dying, his interaction with Tarquin) a little eyebrow raising given recent events.

As for V, when the Oracle was trying to convince Belkar that his prophecy had already come true for several of the people he asked about, he was cut off once he got to V. Suggesting that he would somehow have at least some roundabout technical connection to V's demise.

No because the Oracle was the one he was prophecied to kill. That's why the Oracle was beating around the bush.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Zogundar posted:

You really don't have to spoiler speculation or things that have already happened. Again, though, everything that happens in the parody comic is basically straight from the play. You're focusing in on events in Haleo and Julelan to analyze because of related events in the strip and ignoring all the things that don't line up at all. Do you think Thog and Crystal are going to duel because they did it in the parody? Obviously not, that would be ridiculous. Haleo and Julelan is not going to be useful in making predictions for OotS.

As for what the Oracle didn't say, it could have been anything. For all we know he was going to go on a rambling explanation about how because of Belkar, V lived a more stressful life and that stress caused her to die several years earlier than she normally would have. Besides, remember he ends the whole thing with "yeah I wasn't buying it either."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
That or he was going to say yeah you're just not going to kill the elf.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Uranium Phoenix posted:

You really don't have to spoiler speculation or things that have already happened.

I was mainly trying to mark spoilers from the kickstarter story.

And I never claimed it was a perfect 1:1 representation on all points. I just found a couple of things that stood out to me.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

W.T. Fits posted:

They did that one already. More or less, that is.

No they didn't, that was the "red speaks true" thing. Or at least we're supposed to believe it was anyway.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Cliff Racer posted:

No they didn't, that was the "red speaks true" thing. Or at least we're supposed to believe it was anyway.
You're supposed to believe it because Eugene directly says that's what it was about.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Odd, I totally forgot that pre-Liched Xykon showed up for a single panel in early OOTS.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I got caught in a bit of a re-read and noticed just now that the title of strip 207, around the start of Miko's arc, is "Now If Only We Could Organize the Fiends Somehow". So that's some foreshadowing.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Man, I hope churning out all these strips so fast isn't too hard on the ol' thumb. :ohdear:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kajeesus posted:

Man, I hope churning out all these strips so fast isn't too hard on the ol' thumb. :ohdear:

Didn't he mention at some point that he might be buying a Cintiq with some of the Kickstarter profits? Maybe he got around to it.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

New strip
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0914.html

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh shiiiiiiit this is going to be good.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Ah.

I need a cigarette.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
At least we know now that V's body is still safe somewhere in the crater. This is probably gonna segue into him being release.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Man, I know we are running circles with this, but Tarquin is really ice cold.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Tarquin, you are going to die very, very soon.
:munch:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What does Sabine even have class levels in? Her CR seems a little low for any of these guys at this point.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I don't get the strip title.

Interesting (if overt) summary of the overall themes of the series (alignment vs choices framed as nurture vs nature), and another line from Tarquin that perfectly sums up lawful evil.

Nice callback to the TV being filled with blood too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh, a plasma screen! Nice.