Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Lone Goat posted:

As well there should have been. Functional exclusives for a collectible digital game should not exist if you have to be in a physical location to get them. If they were promo/alt-art/holofoil/whatever versions of cards that you could, then I'd have no problem with it, but "HEY YOU CAN ONLY GET THIS CARD AT [event]" is pretty unreasonable.

The entire point of a digital game is that you can access it anywhere, it's pretty ridiculous to require people to travel halfway across the globe on a month's notice for something. Putting them in treasure chests is a brilliant idea.

Uh, it was a deck sleeve design, an alt-art card, and two PvE-only champions. There were zero exclusive cards. If you're gonna rant about it, at least do the research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
Anything that is pve is fine being an exclusive. It's pvp that shouldn't have such exclusives, what do I care if someone has some mercenary that I can't have? It's not like mana vault where I am going to be staring across the board at it and feel as though I was cheated.

weird vanilla
Mar 20, 2002
When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry.

Gross Dude posted:

Anything that is pve is fine being an exclusive. It's pvp that shouldn't have such exclusives, what do I care if someone has some mercenary that I can't have? It's not like mana vault where I am going to be staring across the board at it and feel as though I was cheated.

It depends on how the PVE turns out - I'm betting most of us in this thread are on-board primarily for pvp, but I could see people being equally pissed that they can't cheese raid boss x without y champion in the same kind of vein.

It sucks to hear about the interface issues. One of my main reasons for backing was hoping for a better-quality product than MTGO.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I'm really more excited about the PvE part, since there's no way there's enough of a card pool yet for PvP to be as deep as, say Magic. Of course, this is something you can't hold against them yet with just 1 set at release, but if the PvE stuff is good I'm even more happy to play.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
I also wanted to mention this interview on day 2 of gencon. At about 11 minutes into that interview, Corey speaks to setting up PvE and gold sinks to make gold valuable enough that players will trade it for more than just PvE things. This means that we shouldn't just automatically wall off PvE content as completely irrelevant to PvP. Mercs that are only usable in PvE could be key in strategies to farm gold which, according to Corey, might be useful to get a PvP deck.

Anyways, I don't know why we're still discussing this. CZE clearly agrees with the statement that all gameplay affecting content should be available at least once, even if only for a limited time to anyone playing the game. Not just those willing to travel.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I think it would be worth mentioning another of the things that came out of the 26-page forum thread - mercs are explicitly intended as fun ways to shore up a champion's weak points or experiment with new playstyles, not as the bleeding-edge optimal choice. Any mercenary that starts breaking the game will be nerfed. Honestly I'd have been reasonably happy just with that assurance, but having a way of getting con-exclusive mercs is a very nice bonus and makes treasure chests an even cooler idea.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

pumpinglemma posted:

I think it would be worth mentioning another of the things that came out of the 26-page forum thread - mercs are explicitly intended as fun ways to shore up a champion's weak points or experiment with new playstyles, not as the bleeding-edge optimal choice. Any mercenary that starts breaking the game will be nerfed. Honestly I'd have been reasonably happy just with that assurance, but having a way of getting con-exclusive mercs is a very nice bonus and makes treasure chests an even cooler idea.

Yeah, that's why I didn't think it mattered that much, I figured the merc was going to be like the sleeves, doesn't really matter but it is cool.

Moving on though, I am interested in seeing how they manage to keep PvE from getting ridiculous. There's going to be a larger pool for the PvE side just from the fact that there are more PvE cards than PvP cards. And, once PvP starts rotating out, the disparity will be huge. I know they said they would never nerf a card, only ban it, but it makes me wonder if over time the original dungeons will become cake walks, since they were designed to be played with Set 1 only. Supposing they get to 6 sets, the dungeons they create for an entire Standard season worth of cards would be considerably tougher than the first ones.

I wonder if that makes an incentive to really keep power creep in check more so than in a game like Magic where there's no such thing as PvE. I'm really interested to see how they handle a lot of these aspects especially in the long run if they are still making cards in 3 or 4 years. There's lots of places to mess up, people will hate it if you ban a card they spent a lot of gold or time to acquire. But everything about PvE would be trivial if all you needed to win was card X and card Y.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Most MMOs I've played have power creep over time. WoW is currently at a point where raids that used to take 40 people to run and were extremely demanding at that can now be soloed by people in regular gear from the latest expansion. Not even raid-geared max-level characters but people just getting into the expansion with a set of greens. I wouldn't be all that surprised for Hex to work out that way as well.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

And don't forget that the game does have character development in the form of leveling and equipping your hero. Maybe the first dungeons will be a cakewalk for a max level hero with an epic in every slot regardless of the number of cards available.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Zurai posted:

Uh, it was a deck sleeve design, an alt-art card, and two PvE-only champions. There were zero exclusive cards. If you're gonna rant about it, at least do the research.

It's cute that you think that Mercenaries don't have in-game impact, and that you think two short paragraphs is a rant.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

malkav11 posted:

Most MMOs I've played have power creep over time. WoW is currently at a point where raids that used to take 40 people to run and were extremely demanding at that can now be soloed by people in regular gear from the latest expansion. Not even raid-geared max-level characters but people just getting into the expansion with a set of greens. I wouldn't be all that surprised for Hex to work out that way as well.

I've never played an MMO for more than a couple of weeks, so I've never actually seen how they evolve. So, maybe it's no big deal that any given dungeon will become trivially easy later on. I really hope that the PvE side of it will be really decent and engaging.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

To those of you who got hands-on time with this game: were there tutorials available already, or did you know how the gameplay works based only on prior knowledge?

I'm just idly wondering how Hex will be received by people who have never played Magic, and thus wouldn't know about concepts like tapping cards or mana.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Cheap Trick posted:

To those of you who got hands-on time with this game: were there tutorials available already, or did you know how the gameplay works based only on prior knowledge?

I'm just idly wondering how Hex will be received by people who have never played Magic, and thus wouldn't know about concepts like tapping cards or mana.

You had to know how to play.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Cheap Trick posted:

If I remember correctly, Hex was at E3 and during an interview someone(Cory?) said they wanted a robust tutorial for people who have zero idea about how card games work.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Snoggle posted:

If I remember correctly, Hex was at E3 and during an interview someone(Cory?) said they wanted a robust tutorial for people who have zero idea about how card games work.

That is good to hear.

Catching up on emails, I just read the last Kickstarter update with Gen Con photos. Princess Cory cosplay :lol:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Cheap Trick posted:

That is good to hear.

Catching up on emails, I just read the last Kickstarter update with Gen Con photos. Princess Cory cosplay :lol:

That dude had impressive back hair.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Blazing Zero posted:

I also wanted to mention this interview on day 2 of gencon. At about 11 minutes into that interview, Corey speaks to setting up PvE and gold sinks to make gold valuable enough that players will trade it for more than just PvE things. This means that we shouldn't just automatically wall off PvE content as completely irrelevant to PvP. Mercs that are only usable in PvE could be key in strategies to farm gold which, according to Corey, might be useful to get a PvP deck.

Anyways, I don't know why we're still discussing this. CZE clearly agrees with the statement that all gameplay affecting content should be available at least once, even if only for a limited time to anyone playing the game. Not just those willing to travel.

While I agree that PVE is more important than people seem to be making it out to be, anyone who has ever played a TCG before in their entire lives can take a cursory, passing glance at some of the PVe-Only content and realize that one overpowered mercenary is a drop in the bucket.

PVE is full of crazy overpowered bullshit, and while it's possible one champion might have a very specific set of abilities that make one specific challenge trivial, it's also possible that every other champion will work the same way where they(and only they) are good for one specific scenario.

I'm not too worried about it, honestly. Nothing for people to argue about, though!

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I want mercenaries not because they're powerful or I'll be behind some curve or something if I don't have a complete set, but because they make for variety and the more of that the better. Being excluded from that because I can't spend hundreds of dollars travelling at the drop of a hat would suck.

(Not that I'm ever going to have a complete set anyway, pretty sure that's not even possible according to stuff they were saying during the Kickstarter. But still.)

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

If any of you got stuff at GenCon other than the sleeves and Gax, I would be super interested in acquiring the codes for them whenever you receive them (if you don't plan on using them).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Do we have an ETA for either closed or open alpha/beta? The OP is a bit outdated. v:v:v

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

The Leper Colon V posted:

Do we have an ETA for either closed or open alpha/beta? The OP is a bit outdated. v:v:v

End of September.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Alpha is at the end of September, it's supposed to last ~3 weeks.
e:too slow

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

So, there's new card previews today. The one I'm intrigued by is Hideous Conversion (3, 1 blood thresh). If you sacrifice a troop, you get 1/0, so you can turn your troops into 1 mana, basically. In a Shin'hare deck, this might be pretty big, and an interesting build around card.

PurpleLizardWizard
Jun 11, 2012
Hey signalnoise, dropping you an email about a Squire tier. My boyfriend was broke during the Kickstarter and is less so now, so I'm going to see if I can snag him one.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The current symbol for mana is completely unreadable. I hope that's not the final version.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I was thinking pretty much the same thing. It's no better at intuitively transmitting the information it contains and is vastly less readable than the previous placeholder [1/0]. The numbers are about a quarter the total size (half height and width) and are surrounded by a visually busy frame. Bad UI.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
They're probably in a spot trying to iterate through making a clear distinction of +X/+X vs +[X/Y], keeping it a little fancy, but probably don't want to use anything that looks too much like a threshold symbol either since that's something different as well. They should probably just make the box a little plainer instead of the prongs on the sides.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Hopefully they figure it out eventually, I didn't understand what the symbol meant at first. At least they can edit every card with the new symbol.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
If it's an issue, it'll be made bigger.

As for the presentation of resources and threshold, demoing at Gen Con was immeasurably valuable in seeing how completely new players interpret data, process our UI and you'll see a lot of changes in that over the next few months.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Blinkman987 posted:

It really kind of is. I took a good two minutes staring at it until I realized that there were actually numbers inside it.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
WoW:TCG ending with this upcoming set. You guys really were extremely close to going broke, weren't you? :v:

One thing I -really- like is the speed of your process coupled with the number of iterations on things. Feels like a lot of Agile is going on behind the scenes.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Adar posted:

WoW:TCG ending with this upcoming set. You guys really were extremely close to going broke, weren't you? :v:

Seems more likely that Blizzard doesn't want Hearthstone and the WoW TCG to cannibalize each others' player base. This is made especially clear by the fact that Blizzard is saying they won't seek out a new developer for the license.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Zurai posted:

Seems more likely that Blizzard doesn't want Hearthstone and the WoW TCG to cannibalize each others' player base. This is made especially clear by the fact that Blizzard is saying they won't seek out a new developer for the license.

That's definitely true. But if you count backwards from this announcement and include the lead time and likely contract-mandated notice, Cryptozoic would've learned about it just when the KS launched.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Adar posted:

One thing I -really- like is the speed of your process coupled with the number of iterations on things. Feels like a lot of Agile is going on behind the scenes.

We have the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings, Walking Dead, and more packaged product licenses. The company is far from a one-license pony.

The benefit of being a small team is how quickly we can adapt, change. There are some Agile elements in project management, but also some waterfall.

Adar posted:

That's definitely true. But if you count backwards from this announcement and include the lead time and likely contract-mandated notice, Cryptozoic would've learned about it just when the KS launched.

It's not appropriate for me to really talk about who-knew-what-and-when, but the Kickstarter was in no way a response to any decisions or news on any other projects.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
But that's what you would say if you were lying :colbert:

BTW, this is a good time to point out SA is in no way a serious business forum. Don't mind me half-assedly trolling or anything. FWIW, definitely seems like you're going about this the right way/I wouldn't be a backer at this tier if you weren't.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Adar posted:

But that's what you would say if you were lying :colbert:

BTW, this is a good time to point out SA is in no way a serious business forum. Don't mind me half-assedly trolling or anything. FWIW, definitely seems like you're going about this the right way/I wouldn't be a backer at this tier if you weren't.

Oh for sure. I've been lurking here since college. It's all fun here. You can troll all you'd like. I just want to make sure in case anybody takes it seriously-- as emotions are running a bit high for the WoWTCG crowd-- that people don't start running away with that stuff =)

For example, people are saying that we're a subsidiary of Blizzard. If that's true, I'm due about 4 years or so of profit sharing checks!

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Adar posted:

Well, that depends on how long a card set takes to develop. They appear to have known that set 21 was going to be the final set, so given a (rough guesswork here) 9 month span from initial design to shipping, that means Cryptozoic knew late last year that Reign of Fire was going to be the last set. I get that 9 month figure from the fact that they've been working on Set 2 for Hex despite conservative estimates for release of the actual game being next year, taking into account that they don't have to worry about printing and shipping digital cards which should significantly cut down on the timeline for Hex.

If they only found out about it a month before the release of set 21, that means they had one or two sets already in development (depending on how accurate my guesstimate is) and all that money got wasted. I'd assume there'd be contractual language dealing with that which Blizzard would want to avoid. Hell, I'd be pretty surprised if set 21 wasn't just where their license was due to expire anyway and Blizzard just told them not to bother trying to renew.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 25, 2013

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Blinkman987 posted:

As for the presentation of resources and threshold, demoing at Gen Con was immeasurably valuable in seeing how completely new players interpret data, process our UI and you'll see a lot of changes in that over the next few months.

I hope one of the changes is moving the pass priority button or setting up the playing field so it isn't obscured by cards. I know you can press f6 or whatever key to do it, but what happens when this game is on tablets? Best to address this now in my opinion.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Blazing Zero posted:

I hope one of the changes is moving the pass priority button or setting up the playing field so it isn't obscured by cards. I know you can press f6 or whatever key to do it, but what happens when this game is on tablets? Best to address this now in my opinion.

Yeah, that's one of the top UI issues at present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

So this week's card previews showed something that I think was brought up the first time the resource mechanic was revealed, a land that gives +1 total Resources but not one this turn and gives you any color threshold your deck provides, seems like a pretty good version of the dual Land archetype.

• Locked thread