Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Mighty Horse posted:

Still giving out those $.25 cellophane bagged chinese car chargers/battery cookers?

Yep! Also, the fantastic screen protectors you have to trim down yourself, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Is there any reason at all why anyone should consider the Moto X on Verizon over the Ultra or the Maxx, assuming they'll be paying full fare for the device?

The AT&T full retail price for the X is $579 so I assume Verizon's will come in near there. If the Verizon X is $579, it seems like $20 more for the Ultra is kind of a no-brainer.

I do wonder if there will be developer versions of the Droid lineup or if they'll reserve that just for the X.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

bull3964 posted:

Verizon is launching a dataplan deal trying to entice unlimited customers away, but you have to sign up for Verizon Edge which makes it not much of a deal at all.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/08/2...t-verizon-edge/

I almost feel like this is a glimpse of what the eventual ultimatum will be. "Take the 6-8GB and lose unlimited, or lose unlimited with no consolation at all"

They especially don't want users like me still around come VoLTE. Maybe they'd do what ATT did for unlimited customers. People who habitually go over their 3-5 gig soft cap get dropped...

If I can't have unlimited data in my pocket, I'll just ditch having a smartphone all together, buy a tablet, and just get a landline installed in my apt.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

kitten smoothie posted:

Is there any reason at all why anyone should consider the Moto X on Verizon over the Ultra or the Maxx, assuming they'll be paying full fare for the device?

The AT&T full retail price for the X is $579 so I assume Verizon's will come in near there. If the Verizon X is $579, it seems like $20 more for the Ultra is kind of a no-brainer.

I do wonder if there will be developer versions of the Droid lineup or if they'll reserve that just for the X.

I went and played around with the Maxx and Mini today, and jumped in an AT&T store for a minute to see the X. Far as I can tell they're the same phone, just the difference in screen/battery/price/form factor. The Maxx and other 5"-ers are comically big to me, Mini was too small, but the X felt pretty dang good. This is coming from a Droid2. I mostly just do basic stuff like text, maps, music, and read SA so havin' a screen that takes 2 hands to hit everything felt dumb in the store. The battery on the Maxx is sicccckkkk, which I want. Form factor on the X is winnin me over, though. Now there's the slowww wait of using my old POS till Verizon gets the dang thing in.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
So, I think I can do my upgrade at Best Buy? If I can, I see that they have the HD and the Razr M. From what I can tell, as far as specs go, the Razr M and HD are identical except for in screen size and memory. Should I still stick with the Razr M?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Sonata Mused posted:

So, I think I can do my upgrade at Best Buy? If I can, I see that they have the HD and the Razr M. From what I can tell, as far as specs go, the Razr M and HD are identical except for in screen size and memory. Should I still stick with the Razr M?

Why are you limiting yourself to those two phones?

I mean they are great phones (I myself have a Razr M and love it) but with the mini/ultra/maxx out now, it seems like a weird time to be eyeing up the M/HD. If it's money, I can really only say that the Mini is $99 on contract. $100 is not a lot of money for a killer phone like that. I think it's out right now, or out within the next week or so or something like that.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Because they are both free.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

bull3964 posted:

Verizon is launching a dataplan deal trying to entice unlimited customers away, but you have to sign up for Verizon Edge which makes it not much of a deal at all.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/08/2...t-verizon-edge/

If they did 8GB w/ tethering and no edge for $30, I'd seriously consider dropping my unlimited and locking into another 2 years.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Sonata Mused posted:

Because they are both free.

If you must have a free phone, I would go with whatever phone feels more comfortable in your hand.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One thing to note, the M only has a QHD screen (960x540) while the HD is 720p. That's only an issue if it bothers you though.

JayKay posted:

If they did 8GB w/ tethering and no edge for $30, I'd seriously consider dropping my unlimited and locking into another 2 years.

Hell, I would take the current 8gb with tethering price they had there if I could use my subsudized upgrade.

However, the Edge plan is pointless. I have enough money to buy a phone out of pocket, I don't need to lose my unlimited to get 0% financing.

To be clear, I'm usually under the 2gb cap. However, the only carrot at this point for me to drop my unlimited is to get $300 knocked off the price of a phone every two years. So, what I'm essentially doing is paying $12.5 a month more for unlimited data and I'm OK with that to have my options open.

Now, if verizon wanted to go to pure metered data billed per MB, I would jump on board (assuming it was based on the current price structure for 2gb of data.)

The thing that burns me about tiered data is it's only tiered for the customer. I get billed the same if I pull down 10mb or 1.9999gb of data. Verizon gets their full pound of flesh. But the minute I use more, I get charged more. But using less doesn't get me charged less.

It's a racket. Either charge a metered amount or do a soft cap with reduced (but usable) speeds for the remainder of the billing cycle with no overages. I would be fine with a 2gb soft cap where I would be limited to 1mbps after I exceeded the cap.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 23, 2013

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

kitten smoothie posted:

If anything I think it's the other way around. The Ultra has the ugly (my opinion) plastic design and offers nothing that the Moto X doesn't other than a bigger screen but same resolution and the "sweet" Droid branding. Verizon should have just had Droid Mini (4.3" $99), Moto X (4.7" $199), and Droid Maxx (5" $299).

If you meant $20 for the maxx (I haven't looked at the prices to confirm) then that's more understandable but to be honest I like the design and size of the Moto X the most of the 4 Moto phones, but the battery life of the maxx is pretty drat awesome and I can totally see why people would pick it over the X. Can't say the same for getting the ultra over an X.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, really, the question is, "Is there any reason why someone should but the Ultra over the X?"

The greater answer is you shouldn't buy either and just buy the MAXX.

The Ultra just seems like a worse form factor. There's such a thing as too thin and the it's a fingerprint magnet that looks messy in like 5 seconds. Unless you would die without the extra .3 inches of screen real estate, the X seems like the better device.

But again, better off to buy the MAXX.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 23, 2013

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
My only gripe against the New Maxx is the soft-mod nav buttons on the bottom. I've really grown to love the on screen software nav buttons. I was really disappointed to see that they chose to go back to buttons similar to the original Maxx. But they give the X all on screen navigation...but mediocre hardware. Just going to hold out till next summer I think. The HTC One is a fantastic phone. Sense drives be bonkers though, as well as the soft-nav that the phone also has. A play edition though would make me a bit happier about it.

I just can't give up the battery life. Still being able to charge my phone once every 1.5-2 days or have an 8-12 hour LTE burn is too much power to give up.

I still have faith that moto will drop a 1080p Maxx at some point with all on screen nav. My phone money is waiting...

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Is the Maxx in stores yet? I might upgrade from my RAZR HD.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

kitten smoothie posted:

Is the Maxx in stores yet? I might upgrade from my RAZR HD.

Yeah they hit stores on the 20th so you shouldn't have a hard time finding one to try out in store.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

If Verizon forces me off unlimited at some point I'm going to switch to Ting or one of the other resellers like that. Unlimited LTE is the only thing keeping me with VZW.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
I unplugged my phone a 7am and still have a 30% charge left. Droid Maxx I am yours forever.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
Son of a bitch! Can anyone explain to me why Verizon has dropped even more coverage? I used to get 3G data from Wells to Jackpot, then it dropped to just voice, now Verizon has completely pulled out of the area, and it's a huge loving deadspot.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

InterceptorV8 posted:

Son of a bitch! Can anyone explain to me why Verizon has dropped even more coverage? I used to get 3G data from Wells to Jackpot, then it dropped to just voice, now Verizon has completely pulled out of the area, and it's a huge loving deadspot.

Maintaining networks is very expensive and maybe they're dropping the ball in your area?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Maintaining networks is very expensive and maybe they're dropping the ball in your area?

It makes it a royal pain in the rear end in thunderstorm season. Because you can't call in the lighting strike fires until you are way out.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

A ton of truckers I know use Verizon because its literally the most reliable while traveling. That's a big loving gap to drop.

Meat Mitts
May 28, 2012

InterceptorV8 posted:

It makes it a royal pain in the rear end in thunderstorm season. Because you can't call in the lighting strike fires until you are way out.
Lightning strikes are a pain in the rear end for cell towers, too. If we're lucky, it just fries an antenna, and if we're unlucky, it wipes out $250k worth of base station equipment. What was the time frame between having 3G to having no service?

Meat Mitts fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 25, 2013

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Meat Mitts posted:

Lightning strikes are a pain in the rear end for cell towers, too. If we're lucky, it just fries an antenna, and if we're unlucky, it wipes out $250k worth of base station equipment. What was the time frame between having 3G to having no service?

Three years.

I know what the coverage map shows, and how it really is, is two different things, but now they have even changed the coverage map to show a dead spot that wasn't there before. They claim extended coverage, but it's gone, it's like they stopped buying/paying to use whoever owns the towers there. Same with 93 as soon as you hit the Burns Jct bend until you hit Sommer Camp Road in Idaho, it's gone. They haven't updated the map to show coverage loss, but it's never been covered as far as I have been able to tell. You do get a bump of coverage in Jordan Valley, but I think I'm picking up someone's house service, not a tower.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So the new Droid phones were supposed to come with 6 months' free Play Music All Access. I signed in on my account and it didn't say anything, and the subscription info screen in the app still shows my next bill date as being next month. Is there some way you're supposed to claim this, or is it only a new subscriber deal?

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker

kitten smoothie posted:

So the new Droid phones were supposed to come with 6 months' free Play Music All Access. I signed in on my account and it didn't say anything, and the subscription info screen in the app still shows my next bill date as being next month. Is there some way you're supposed to claim this, or is it only a new subscriber deal?
I noticed the same thing. I hope someone knows what's up.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

kitten smoothie posted:

I ended up taking the One back and grabbing the Maxx. I can't be more happy with it. I am a huge screen snob, and although there is definitely a difference between the Maxx and the One displays (One has the best screen I've seen on a mobile device bar none), the Maxx's is more than adequate in my opinion. Way better than any other 720p phone screen I've seen to date. The battery life is amazing, the active notifications are way better than the old standard of blinking LEDs, the hands-free voice interaction works very well, moto assist while driving helps me keep my eyes on the road and the software is as close to stock android as you can get without it being, well, actually stock like on the nexus or GPE devices. The camera does leave something to be desired though, that's for sure. Still, it should be adequate for the relatively few photos I take for instagram/facebook. Snapchat / BS pics I send via text really don't need to be anything special either. Highly, highly recommend this phone and that's coming from a guy who has had the iP5, GS4 and HTC One as his three most recent phones.

Anyway, back to your question, I read somewhere that you'll get a text message giving you a link to redeem the 6 months access for free. Supposedly if you are already an all access member you cannot use the promotion, though. I'll post here if I get the text in the next couple of days.

e: source http://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-maxx/308462-free-google-play-music-droid-maxx.html

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

comper posted:

I ended up taking the One back and grabbing the Maxx. I can't be more happy with it. I am a huge screen snob, and although there is definitely a difference between the Maxx and the One displays (One has the best screen I've seen on a mobile device bar none), the Maxx's is more than adequate in my opinion. Way better than any other 720p phone screen I've seen to date. The battery life is amazing, the active notifications are way better than the old standard of blinking LEDs, the hands-free voice interaction works very well, moto assist while driving helps me keep my eyes on the road and the software is as close to stock android as you can get without it being, well, actually stock like on the nexus or GPE devices. The camera does leave something to be desired though, that's for sure. Still, it should be adequate for the relatively few photos I take for instagram/facebook. Snapchat / BS pics I send via text really don't need to be anything special either. Highly, highly recommend this phone and that's coming from a guy who has had the iP5, GS4 and HTC One as his three most recent phones.

Anyway, back to your question, I read somewhere that you'll get a text message giving you a link to redeem the 6 months access for free. Supposedly if you are already an all access member you cannot use the promotion, though. I'll post here if I get the text in the next couple of days.

e: source http://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-maxx/308462-free-google-play-music-droid-maxx.html

drat I keep reading ridiculous reviews screaming GET IT and then I read reviews on the ultra that are very lukewarm that makes me think I should just wait for the Note 3 in september for a legit powerhouse / battery life combo.

I think coming from a normal original Razr I can't help but feel like I'm paying 300 dollars for a battery upgrade even though I know it's a much larger jump than that. The draw of 1+ day battery life is very very tempting as my Razr sucks rear end lately even with a custom rom and some CPU tweaks.

All reports seem to lead to the Iphone 5S being a pretty weak upgrade so that at least simplifies my decision.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So, has anyone bitten the bullet at these Verizon Wireless Authorized Reseller deals like Amazon Wireless, Best Buy Mobile, Radioshack Wireless, etc? They've got some very decent discounts on phones, but after doing some research they seem to have some crazy caveats; you're locked into not one but two contracts, one with Verizon, one with the reseller. The reseller's tends to be much more restrictive than Verizon's, and most have much worse customer service.

If you've messed with this stuff before, what was it like? I'm eligible for an upgrade now, but getting an S3 or a Droid Mini for half their upfront cost or less would be nice if it's not quite as bad as it seems. Contracts are scary things, though, so I might just spend the extra and get the upgrade from Verizon...

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I work for Wireless Advocates, which is Costco's reseller. We don't have a secondary contract for our sales and our prices end up being much lower than the Verizon store. I probably would not get a phone from a place that has a restrictive secondary contract like Amazon's, where you can't move your phone between lines for the first 180 days, I believe.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

PerrineClostermann posted:

The reseller's tends to be much more restrictive than Verizon's, and most have much worse customer service.

Amazon, Diamond Wireless are the only places that I know of off the top of my head that do this. I know that Costco and Best Buy do not, and I strongly doubt that Radio Shack does either.

What exactly are you looking for out of the "Customer Service" angle. Nobody can help you with billing issues, only Verizon can do that, and screw standing around for 45 minutes in a corp Verizon store just to get them to credit your account for something. Just call 611.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FordPRefectLL posted:

I work for Wireless Advocates, which is Costco's reseller. We don't have a secondary contract for our sales and our prices end up being much lower than the Verizon store. I probably would not get a phone from a place that has a restrictive secondary contract like Amazon's, where you can't move your phone between lines for the first 180 days, I believe.

Do you need a membership with Costco to deal with your group? I'm signed up with Sam's Club, not Costco.

SeaborneClink posted:

Amazon, Diamond Wireless are the only places that I know of off the top of my head that do this. I know that Costco and Best Buy do not, and I strongly doubt that Radio Shack does either.

What exactly are you looking for out of the "Customer Service" angle. Nobody can help you with billing issues, only Verizon can do that, and screw standing around for 45 minutes in a corp Verizon store just to get them to credit your account for something. Just call 611.

Radioshack's wireless is handled by the group that operates Wirefly, an online reseller that appears to be rather sketchy and extortionary with their own set of terms. I've heard that Best Buy doesn't do this, but there's still plenty of complaints with Best Buy Mobile regarding things like device replacement and returns, or activations, and a general sense that they're not really interested in helping you.

Basically, if I have to get help because my device is screwed up, I don't want to somehow end up paying various penalties or ETFs due to muckery with the reseller and how they interface with Verizon, or their policies regarding replacements and help. I want a discount on a device, not paying hundreds more because I fell for a nicer price.

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Aug 25, 2013

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Yes, you do need a membership to buy a phone from Costco. I believe Sam's Club's wireless seller doesn't require a second contract either, so you might try them too. They occasionally edge my prices out but I'm usually able to credit everything but Verizon's upgrade fee.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Radioshack's wireless is handled by the group that operates Wirefly

You can add Target to that too. Same company.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FordPRefectLL posted:

Yes, you do need a membership to buy a phone from Costco. I believe Sam's Club's wireless seller doesn't require a second contract either, so you might try them too. They occasionally edge my prices out but I'm usually able to credit everything but Verizon's upgrade fee.

Sam's Club seems to use Simplexity, which is the group behind Radioshack and Wirefly, at least online. Simplexity in particular seems rather sketchy based on feedback. Argh, I just don't know.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

So, has anyone bitten the bullet at these Verizon Wireless Authorized Reseller deals like Amazon Wireless, Best Buy Mobile, Radioshack Wireless, etc? They've got some very decent discounts on phones, but after doing some research they seem to have some crazy caveats; you're locked into not one but two contracts, one with Verizon, one with the reseller. The reseller's tends to be much more restrictive than Verizon's, and most have much worse customer service.

If you've messed with this stuff before, what was it like? I'm eligible for an upgrade now, but getting an S3 or a Droid Mini for half their upfront cost or less would be nice if it's not quite as bad as it seems. Contracts are scary things, though, so I might just spend the extra and get the upgrade from Verizon...

Just go to a local Best Buy. They don't have the two contract thing you're talking about. Me and some friends have gotten phones there before and it's always been a fairly decent experience. Plus they have by far the best selection and most stock out of any third party reseller, for obvious reasons.

There is absolutely no reason to spend more money and upgrade through Verizon. You're making it out to be some sort of shady, scary activity when it's not.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Best Buy will also price match Amazon's pricing, too.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

FordPRefectLL posted:

I probably would not get a phone from a place that has a restrictive secondary contract like Amazon's, where you can't move your phone between lines for the first 180 days, I believe.

I'm not sure this is true. I added a line for my mom to my account last year, got a Gnex, then immediately reactivated her old phone, and activated the Gnex on mine. I never saw a bill or even a scolding email for it.

Regarding the "transfer upgrade to keep unlimited" loophole, can this be done at Best Buy? I'm holding out just a little longer for the Note 3 and their prices are almost always better.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Huh. Well, I just did some researching and found a ton of horror stories is all. I know that those posting on websites with their experiences are doing so because they had something to drive them to post, but it still seemed a bit...not that great.

Does Best Buy allow you to use the upgrade on one line in a Family Share Plan on another line like Verizon? If so, I'll head over today and give 'em a try.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I missed a phone call from 2129. Yes, the number was just 2129. Is this a Verizon specific number, or what in the hell just called me? I tried calling back and I got the "Verizon can't figure out what this number is" for obvious reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Huh. Well, I just did some researching and found a ton of horror stories is all. I know that those posting on websites with their experiences are doing so because they had something to drive them to post, but it still seemed a bit...not that great.

Does Best Buy allow you to use the upgrade on one line in a Family Share Plan on another line like Verizon? If so, I'll head over today and give 'em a try.

Yes.

• Locked thread