Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cats
May 11, 2009
I hate this deal so much. I picked up a 60D,18-135, printer and paper on a similar deal in early June and have been trying to unload the printer ever since. Since these things have been going around all summer CL is flooded with the stupid printers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Encor3
Jun 29, 2005

Konnichiwa Bitches

Pianist On Strike posted:

I hate this deal so much. I picked up a 60D,18-135, printer and paper on a similar deal in early June and have been trying to unload the printer ever since. Since these things have been going around all summer CL is flooded with the stupid printers.

Even without selling the printer it's still $50 less, with a bunch of extra stuff, than buying it new with a kit lens on Amazon, B&H, etc.

cats
May 11, 2009

Encor3 posted:

Even without selling the printer it's still $50 less, with a bunch of extra stuff, than buying it new with a kit lens on Amazon, B&H, etc.

Oh don't get me wrong, it's still a great deal, I'm just mad about Craigslist :goleft:

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Just use the printer and paper until you run out then donate it to goodwill?

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

I got a similar rebate with a lens and it was processed and in hand within 2-3 weeks.

Also, the printer is great and I've been making prints for family and friends. Stop your bitchin', boy!

ShotgunWillie fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Aug 24, 2013

cats
May 11, 2009

ShotgunWillie posted:

I got a similar rebate with a lens and it was processed and in hand within 2-3 weeks.

Also, the printer is great and I've been making prints for family and friends. Stop your bitchin', boy!

Girl :ssh: I just need cash more than I need prints right now. But anyway, it really is a great deal. I guess just a heads up if anyone is thinking of jumping on this and flipping the printer.

BobTheDestroyer
Dec 21, 2011
Another request for a lens suggestion post.

Situation is I've have a 600D with the standard kit 18-55 lens + 70-300mm for longer stuff and I'm in the market for a prime, budget is about $400AU.

Currently I'm tossing up between Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM and the Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM HOWEVER, the other reason I'm looking for is lens to take videos of my girlfriends celtic dancing school displays. (example here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHFUBV5oHJM). Next time I'll be trying to control the lighting of the theatre much more (I'm thinking even a few vids at their practice hall) but as you can see there is a lots of movement and distance changes. 90% of the time it'll be used for regular photography however

Am I being too hopeful to have a 50mm prime be capable of doing this or swapping to a 35mm?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
The Sigma 30/1.4 is an amazing lens.

BobTheDestroyer
Dec 21, 2011

Wario In Real Life posted:

The Sigma 30/1.4 is an amazing lens.

I hope you mean the 50mm because the Australian tax puts the 30 at over $700 :(

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Oops sorry. I wasn't sure how your moon dollars calculated over but I figured it would be the other way around. :(

In general though, Sigma offers pretty amazing optics pretty near to L-Series quality at about half the cost. Someone else will have to comment on that particular lens, but I've been more than impressed in my experiences with the brand.

BobTheDestroyer
Dec 21, 2011

Oops sorry. I wasn't sure how your moon dollars calculated over but I figured it would be the other way around. :(

In general though, Sigma offers pretty amazing optics pretty near to L-Series quality at about half the cost. Someone else will have to comment on that particular lens, but I've been more than impressed in my experiences with the brand.

That's cool, a article at dpreview.com had one of the sigmas negatives being it's price so if I can get it for around the same as a Canon, I'll go with that, thanks for the extra input

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

BobTheDestroyer posted:

Situation is I've have a 600D with the standard kit 18-55 lens + 70-300mm for longer stuff and I'm in the market for a prime, budget is about $400AU.

Currently I'm tossing up between Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM and the Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM HOWEVER, the other reason I'm looking for is lens to take videos of my girlfriends celtic dancing school displays. (example here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHFUBV5oHJM). Next time I'll be trying to control the lighting of the theatre much more (I'm thinking even a few vids at their practice hall) but as you can see there is a lots of movement and distance changes. 90% of the time it'll be used for regular photography however

Am I being too hopeful to have a 50mm prime be capable of doing this or swapping to a 35mm?

What focal length did you record that?

As a previous owner of the canon 50 f/1.4 I will never stop recommending it. Throughout this and the previous threads posts are several calls into question about the lens quality, especially when bumped. I never experienced such things, granted I never dropped the lens or bumped it especially hard. (buy a hood). Yes, the lens design is 15+ years old and the front element extends outward while focusing (hey the 85mm f/1.2L does this as well).

As for the video? How is your video taken? At 85? at 15? Somewhere in the middle?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Have you thought about the 40/2.8, or do you really need the extra stops?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

BobTheDestroyer posted:

As a current owner of a Canon EF 50 F/1.4 and having owned two copies of it total, I would recommend it. I always had my hood on it and the only time it had the focus get weird was when I dropped it about 24 inches onto concrete. A $90 repair corrected the issue.

I love my 50 F/1.4.

BobTheDestroyer
Dec 21, 2011
It was on the kit 18-55 but I believe it was around the 50 Mark . I was in the sound/light booth at the rear of the theatre so physically I could not move much, that may change given the locations (first time they've performed there I believe)

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

pseudonordic posted:

I love my 50 F/1.4.

My 50/1.4 is the lens that stays on my camera 90% of the time. I love that thing.

BobTheDestroyer
Dec 21, 2011
Fine, the Canon 50 F/1.4 it is, thanks internet people

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

BobTheDestroyer posted:

Fine, the Canon 50 F/1.4 it is, thanks internet people

Get a hood for sure and always set focus to infinity when you put it away. Setting the focus retracts the front element and having the hood on it backwards will protect it from bumps while retracted.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Or get the plastic fiddy and shoot like you don't give a gently caress.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

The 70D embargo is up, looks like.

Here's DigitalRev's rather fluffy review. On the opposite end of the spectrum is DxO's clinical take. Have a handy link on DxO comparing the 70D, 7D, and 5Dmk3 sensors. (don't look at the Sony or Nikon comparisons or you'll kill yourself)

If you don't feel like clicking any links: it has the same colour depth, dynamic range, and ISO performance of every other Canon sensor of the last 4 years. It's a smidge better than the 7D. DxO hasn't really tested resolving power it seems though, since the 70D has an extra 2mp. Still waiting on DPReview.

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
I'm asking myself why I choosed Canon. I didn't have any economical commitment, as in a set of lenses, to Canon when I decided to keep the 60D.

What's the long term plan for Canon if they don't make a "better" camera over the timeframe of 3 years?

I'm not saying that I don't like my 60D or that it's a bad camera.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Canon's working on a Foveon style sensor. That's the only thing known. When it'll be released and whether it'll bring improvements on the DR, who knows. They're probably also waiting for some Foveon patents to run out.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
So if I want to make the jump to a full frame from my t3i, I should be looking at the 5dmk2 to balance savings and the step up?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Captain Apollo posted:

So if I want to make the jump to a full frame from my t3i, I should be looking at the 5dmk2 to balance savings and the step up?

5D or 6D yes

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
DxO results are like 3DMark scores. Completely distilled mathematical scores which strip away all context and real world conditions.

If you find yourself frustrated that "Canon hasn't updated their sensor tech in 4 years :argh:!!" simply ask yourself if you're actually disappointed in the performance of your camera. How many shots out of 1000 do you feel aren't up to your standards? For what you use it for, would you notice any discernible by switching to Nikon or Sony? Yes or no?

Benchmarks are fine for the tech nerds, but you really have to look at your actual usage before you actually get upset by something like this.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DxO results are like 3DMark scores. Completely distilled mathematical scores which strip away all context and real world conditions.
For resolution marginal score improvements are barely perceptible (where really sensor size and MP counts usually tells you enough), but DR improvements over the years are very, very tangible.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

evil_bunnY posted:

For resolution marginal score improvements are barely perceptible (where really sensor size and MP counts usually tells you enough), but DR improvements over the years are very, very tangible.

Yep, that's what's making me consider changing from my 7D to a d800 instead of a 5DIII. It's hard for me to get excited about spending $700 more on a 5DIII with 3 EV worse dynamic range. Clipping is one of the main things that bugs me when shooting, and I do feel like I'd notice that additional leeway.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Graniteman posted:

Clipping is one of the main things that bugs me when shooting, and I do feel like I'd notice that additional leeway.

Same. Being able expose for the sky and then adjust the rest without getting a face full of digital noise would be great.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
That's the only reason I switched to Nikon, really. It's insane how much detail is there in the shadows.

Recently did a video shoot with the 5Dmk3, shooting all in raw. Sounds great until there were a couple of difficult interiors where we didn't have a ton of lighting to match the exterior light coming from a window - we underexposed by like 3 stops and when we went to pull it back up in Resolve, there was like...nothing there to pull up. Black was black. It's a much different experience compared to the Blackmagic Cinema Camera, which is basically a D800 for video (with a much smaller sensor).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah the whole "shoot raw and hope for the best in the grade" thing with Canons doesn't really work if you need to pull, they're just never gonna be as good as an actual cinema camera.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
So, going from the 350D to the 50D was great, but I have no idea how to turn on the timer or LiveView. Since I got it for free secondhand, I don't have a manual for it. Can any of you tell me how?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Datasmurf posted:

So, going from the 350D to the 50D was great, but I have no idea how to turn on the timer or LiveView. Since I got it for free secondhand, I don't have a manual for it. Can any of you tell me how?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WekT5rK-V1Y

Skip to about 50 seconds for LiveView action.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Manuals are free PDF downloads from canon.com. I keep my camera's manual on my phone at all times just in case. :-)

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

If you find yourself frustrated that "Canon hasn't updated their sensor tech in 4 years :argh:!!" simply ask yourself if you're actually disappointed in the performance of your camera. How many shots out of 1000 do you feel aren't up to your standards? For what you use it for, would you notice any discernible by switching to Nikon or Sony? Yes or no?

Benchmarks are fine for the tech nerds, but you really have to look at your actual usage before you actually get upset by something like this.

Perhaps I wouldn't notice any difference. The 70D have a touch screen and a dual pixel sensor. This is the upgrade that Canon gives us after 4 years, or three if comparing to 60D, I don't feel like it is in parity counting the time.

For instance the touch screen is something that is too expected. While being an upgrade it's not really something special, they having one on the 70D goes without saying.

And I'm debating that if I should save up for a lens or should I consider switching system.

There's a post above that makes it sound like Canon do have a good plan for their DSLR's. But all I can do is to see what they have done to this day and that was underwhelming.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
Just picked up an off-brand battery grip for my T3i (mostly for the added ergonomics, but throwing an extra battery in it wouldn't be bad). Any recommendations for good replacements for the T3i's batteries (LP-E8s)? Or should I really just shell out the $70 or whatever for an actual canon one?

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Shellman posted:

Just picked up an off-brand battery grip for my T3i (mostly for the added ergonomics, but throwing an extra battery in it wouldn't be bad). Any recommendations for good replacements for the T3i's batteries (LP-E8s)? Or should I really just shell out the $70 or whatever for an actual canon one?

I've always had great luck with the Photive brand batteries and they're only like $15. Hold charges longer than my Canon one ever did.

http://www.amazon.com/Photive-Origi...e+canon+battery

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Shellman posted:

Or should I really just shell out the $70 or whatever for an actual canon one?

God no, I got a chinese knock off pair with my off-brand grip and they work fine. Unless you're buying from some REALLY dodgy site you should be fine with any ones.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Shellman posted:

Sterlingtek is the best non manufacturer battery. Theyre all I've been running for years. Never had an issue ... super reliable, hold a longer charge and are cheaper.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
Awesome, good to hear! My roommate who got me into photography looks down on non-canon stuff, though from what I've read lurking here it seems like a lot of goons swear by it. I suspected he might be a little stubborn when I came home with one of these and he told me he bought a Canon so he could use Canon lenses, not Sigmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Shellman posted:

Awesome, good to hear! My roommate who got me into photography looks down on non-canon stuff, though from what I've read lurking here it seems like a lot of goons swear by it. I suspected he might be a little stubborn when I came home with one of these and he told me he bought a Canon so he could use Canon lenses, not Sigmas.

There's nothing wrong with Nikon if you need a high-end system camera, or any of the smaller companies for most purposes. If you need something exotic, say a 200mm f/2 or a 300/400 f/2.8 or something you may be stuck with Canon/Nikon but for most purposes pretty much any camera system will do fine. From what people are saying it sounds like Canon is starting to seriously lag behind products using Sony sensors (i.e. Nikon).

Sigma has been putting out absolutely rocking stuff lately. There's the 18-35 f/1.8 zoom, they're coming out with a f/2 full frame zoom too sometime, they've got a 35/1.4 that beats Canon/Nikon's L-series offerings, they've been aggressively revamping their line with the new Art series (which have user-adjustable micro-focus!), and they've been moving in on low end market with offerings like the 30/2.8 and 19/2.8 mirrorless lenses at $100 a pop.

I've been singing an awful lot of praises for Sigma lately. They seem to be the ones innovating at the moment. Your friend is just probably just stuck up over his expensive red ring.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 30, 2013