Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The good LFS posted a pic of one of their bigger fish:

A gold spot gibbicep. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Eifert Posting posted:

How do y'all gravel vac when you've just planted some rooted plants? I have some hairgrass that is almost uprooted just by current alone.

Never gravel vac soil substrates. Ever.

Soil substrates will become like mud after time, and if you vacuum it will cause cloudiness, and some report spikes of ammonia/nitrites.
Even when I used fine river gravel I never vac'd it because I had good Stricta growth from the fish poop layers forming inside the gravel.

Kharnifex fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Aug 23, 2013

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

SynthOrange posted:

I've eaten smaller fish...

Speaking of small fish my fry seem to be doing well. Egg yolks getting smaller and somehow the parents managed to round up 20 or so fry on a leaf now. I have no loving clue how they did that.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

You can see plecos like this in the streams here. It's really cool.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

LingcodKilla posted:

I thought they were like cories! Oh god I'm going to fish hell for thi....... Uh we'll I'm probably going to fish hell for fishing sins already.

as you stare at the giant marlin mounted above your fireplace.. next to the shark.. next to the giant tuna.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Eifert Posting posted:

You can see plecos like this in the streams here. It's really cool.

Sadly you can see giant plecos now in most bodies of water here now. They are considered an invasive species here in Florida where asshats that buy them at the local bog box LFS sell them like minnows not bothering to tell people they have a baby that will end up growing into a two foot monster that will get dumped into our local waters.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

SUCKING DICKS AND SQUEEZING TITTIES
Just bought a dozen oto's and four golden rams. Hopefully these are all the fish I am buying for some time.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

demonR6 posted:

Sadly you can see giant plecos now in most bodies of water here now. They are considered an invasive species here in Florida where asshats that buy them at the local bog box LFS sell them like minnows not bothering to tell people they have a baby that will end up growing into a two foot monster that will get dumped into our local waters.

We've got more than that! There's breeding populations of peacock bass roaming our waterways and, honestly, probably every common South American cichlid. I've known people who kept convicts in ponds here, because I guess we needed even more roaches...

Fusillade
Mar 31, 2012

...and her

BIG FAT BASS

Shakenbaker posted:

We've got more than that! There's breeding populations of peacock bass roaming our waterways and, honestly, probably every common South American cichlid. I've known people who kept convicts in ponds here, because I guess we needed even more roaches...

Re: pbass: If you are in Miami or Dade counties in Florida, they're there because F&W pretty much said 'eff it, the native fish populations are screwed already, might as well make some sport fishing tourism revenue off of it'. They are pretty sensitive to cooler waters and salinity, so I don't think they have strayed far from where they were introduced.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Speaking of non-natives in our water, anyone able to id this fish? Found it floating dead in a local pond while fishing, and while I'm admittedly bad at IDing what we pull out of the water, this doesn't feel native to Illinois.

You can see the iridescent purple in the picture, but it was even more striking in person.

Fusillade
Mar 31, 2012

...and her

BIG FAT BASS
Actually, it might be a pumpkinseed, a type of sunfish. They are North American natives. A lot of the illustrations show the males in orange color breeding dress, but there are blue/purplish color variants.

http://www.kidsbiology.com/animals-for-children.php?animal=Pumpkinseed%20Fish

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Fusillade posted:

Actually, it might be a pumpkinseed, a type of sunfish. They are North American natives. A lot of the illustrations show the males in orange color breeding dress, but there are blue/purplish color variants.

http://www.kidsbiology.com/animals-for-children.php?animal=Pumpkinseed%20Fish

It could be almost any sunfish and while most of them are native to North America quite a few of them are invasive and wreck damage on the local fauna. In particular Blue Gills can over colonize a pond and stunt their own growth producing a dwarf population that nobody wants to fish for. If a predator is introduced that will eat up the population they naturally rebound to becoming larger fish... sometimes too large for bass to swallow whole. It's a pretty viscous circle of unintended consequences.

Update on Momma and Poppa Angel. Running their asses off playing baby rodeo. Amazing natural instincts. I hope they dont snap and eat them all.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Huh, how about that. Every pumpkin seed we ever pulled up was the orange-ish variety. They really are a pretty fish

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

dirtycajun posted:

Just bought a dozen oto's and four golden rams. Hopefully these are all the fish I am buying for some time.

I like your taste. I'm never keeping a tank without Otos again assuming they wouldn't just be snacks.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Okay goons, need some help.

Since my cold water comes out of the tap at 91* (go go AZ summer) and this is the first year it has remained like so regardless of the weather, I set up a 30 gallon bin to cool water in. Use the Python to fill the bin, a powerhead to circulate, Prime to dechlor, and it's good for use within a few hours.

But the powerhead output is too small to use a Python hose on. So do I just get a large $80 pump or go back to using buckets? Because I can't find anyone local who can take point A (the powerhead nozzle) and connect it to B (the Python tubing) with any kind of plumbing supply or smaller tube.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

SUCKING DICKS AND SQUEEZING TITTIES

Eifert Posting posted:

I like your taste. I'm never keeping a tank without Otos again assuming they wouldn't just be snacks.

To the goon who pointed me in their direction, a sincere thank you. My extreme tank make-over: algae edition has been half fixed over night. Those fuckers work hard.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Well my babies are about two thirds gone now....

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

Okay goons, need some help.

Since my cold water comes out of the tap at 91* (go go AZ summer) and this is the first year it has remained like so regardless of the weather, I set up a 30 gallon bin to cool water in. Use the Python to fill the bin, a powerhead to circulate, Prime to dechlor, and it's good for use within a few hours.

But the powerhead output is too small to use a Python hose on. So do I just get a large $80 pump or go back to using buckets? Because I can't find anyone local who can take point A (the powerhead nozzle) and connect it to B (the Python tubing) with any kind of plumbing supply or smaller tube.

Well, my vote would be the pump if you can get it to work that way. However, there is that expense thing. Handling 30 gals worth of buckets doesn't sound fun in any form.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Fusillade posted:

Re: pbass: If you are in Miami or Dade counties in Florida, they're there because F&W pretty much said 'eff it, the native fish populations are screwed already, might as well make some sport fishing tourism revenue off of it'. They are pretty sensitive to cooler waters and salinity, so I don't think they have strayed far from where they were introduced.

Yeah, I think they only go up so far as lake Okeechobee with maybe a little upstream but that's still a good amount of area, since the glades are pretty large. It's a shame they wrecked the local fauna, because it's hard to argue with how awesome the huge garfish look. One of my many pipe dream tanks is to do a native setup with warmouth or shellcracker, maybe a few bullhead cats.

That's kinda Florida in a nutshell though. My house is overrun with air potatoes (kinda like kudzu, but with acorn to fist-sized tubers) and I watch the geckos chill on my windows at night to eat the bugs that come to the lights. Also: retirees :v:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Shakenbaker posted:

Yeah, I think they only go up so far as lake Okeechobee with maybe a little upstream but that's still a good amount of area, since the glades are pretty large. It's a shame they wrecked the local fauna, because it's hard to argue with how awesome the huge garfish look. One of my many pipe dream tanks is to do a native setup with warmouth or shellcracker, maybe a few bullhead cats.

That's kinda Florida in a nutshell though. My house is overrun with air potatoes (kinda like kudzu, but with acorn to fist-sized tubers) and I watch the geckos chill on my windows at night to eat the bugs that come to the lights. Also: retirees :v:

Take a look at Mad Toms for your native mini catfish needs. Also there is at least a few sunfish even smaller than warmouths.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I actually had no idea what mad toms where until now, and reading up a little on them is pretty cool. I don't think I've ever caught any so they're news to me. Thanks for the heads up!

The deal with wanting the warmouth and shellcracker specifically is that those are the fish I would catch when I was coming up, so it's partly a nostalgia thing. I can't really get away with channel cats or those blasted mudfish in any size tank, but mid-size sunfish seem doable. Could probably do a couple of them in a 75, but I'm already sitting at five tanks so...maybe later.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Shakenbaker posted:

I actually had no idea what mad toms where until now, and reading up a little on them is pretty cool. I don't think I've ever caught any so they're news to me. Thanks for the heads up!

The deal with wanting the warmouth and shellcracker specifically is that those are the fish I would catch when I was coming up, so it's partly a nostalgia thing. I can't really get away with channel cats or those blasted mudfish in any size tank, but mid-size sunfish seem doable. Could probably do a couple of them in a 75, but I'm already sitting at five tanks so...maybe later.

Yah, mad toms are pretty small and mostly completely looked over by anyone fishing as either baby catfish or minnows.

Look up Orange Spotted Sunfish. Lepomis Humilus. Maxes at a about 4 inches and considered peaceful.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Ah, those days when you just want to throw a $100 filter out the window.

At the zoo we used Magnum 350's for every tank, so I picked up 2 that I personally use, because I didn't want to deal with new canisters: one on my adult zebras, 1 on my 90. The zebra filter started leaking bad after a cleaning, at the top of the filter, and the O-ring was no longer tight. I ordered a new one, and after cleaning everything out again, the new O-ring also isn't tight enough to keep a seal, so water sprays out whenever the filter is turned on.

Is there any kind of oil or lubricant or anything I can put on this or should I just have a nice $100+ filter date with a sledgehammer?

gently caress, at this rate, between the heater dying, the Python not working, and now the loving filter breaking, EVERY loving TIME I get close to completing a dry season to get these fucks to breed, it's like the fish gods are just loving with me now!

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

At the zoo we used Magnum 350's for every tank, so I picked up 2 that I personally use, because I didn't want to deal with new canisters: one on my adult zebras, 1 on my 90. The zebra filter started leaking bad after a cleaning, at the top of the filter, and the O-ring was no longer tight. I ordered a new one, and after cleaning everything out again, the new O-ring also isn't tight enough to keep a seal, so water sprays out whenever the filter is turned on.

Is there any kind of oil or lubricant or anything I can put on this or should I just have a nice $100+ filter date with a sledgehammer?

gently caress, at this rate, between the heater dying, the Python not working, and now the loving filter breaking, EVERY loving TIME I get close to completing a dry season to get these fucks to breed, it's like the fish gods are just loving with me now!

I have no idea of the logistics of your pumps but maybe you can use some plumbers tape to help it seal?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cowslips Warren posted:

Pics of the offending parts and areas of leakage? I am sure some of us have MacGuyvered things in the past and may be able to help.

Trochantin
Jun 16, 2009
I'm just now getting back into the aquarium game and I think I'm doing fairly well. I do have a few problems. I think the biggest problem I'm having is brush algae. Are there any good ways to fight it?

My platys have been going at it quite a bit and I'm sort of left with the problem of what to do with all the fry. Any suggestions on the them? I have a 30 gallon and I want to keep something other than just platys in there.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ugh, I swear something's wrong with my 4 gallon shrimp tank. The water's fine but my shrimp keep dropping their eggs! Otherwise they're fine and healthy, there's no predation, they're having shrimp sex and getting berried, but the ladies will all drop their egg clusters in a week.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SynthOrange posted:

Ugh, I swear something's wrong with my 4 gallon shrimp tank. The water's fine but my shrimp keep dropping their eggs! Otherwise they're fine and healthy, there's no predation, they're having shrimp sex and getting berried, but the ladies will all drop their egg clusters in a week.

Terrible shrimp mothers? Pregnant? I don't want no kids?!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

demonR6 posted:

Terrible shrimp mothers? Pregnant? I don't want no kids?!

Sounds like my cannibal teen angel couple. I'm down to three babies separated out but I think two of them may have sucked through the cracks.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I currently have a 20g long with 3 clown plecos and a German Blue Ram. At my wits end with the pleco poop. Originally I was hoping to breed them, but they are poop factories. I can imagine breeding them would be best in a substrate less tank with excessive filtration. I hate giving fish away, but I can't keep up with them. So cute but they apparently crap their body weight daily.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't think clowns have been bred in captivity; that said they are panaques and need a ton of loving wood to eat. In short, you could breed them in a 20 gallon if the thing was filled with driftwood, heavy filtration, and you found the trigger to set them off.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

I don't think clowns have been bred in captivity; that said they are panaques and need a ton of loving wood to eat. In short, you could breed them in a 20 gallon if the thing was filled with driftwood, heavy filtration, and you found the trigger to set them off.

Yeah, I apparently have 1 Panaque maccus which has been bred according to planetcatfish. But one of my other two is LDA068, and third could go either way. So my odds of having a viable pair of either species is pretty low. LDA068 hasn't been bred according to planetcatfish. I guess the trigger for Panaque maccus is a good dry season/rain simulation.

E: Panaque At The Disco would be a great forum handle. Just throwing that out there.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 28, 2013

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

They would just cling to the walls ins not get on the dance floor.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

They would just cling to the walls ins not get on the dance floor.

Not if the band sucked. :rimshot:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What do y'all think about Jury rigging a spraybar on my fluval 106? Good idea/bad idea?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Eifert Posting posted:

What do y'all think about Jury rigging a spraybar on my fluval 106? Good idea/bad idea?

I made custom spraybars for both my SunSun canister filters and threw away the poo poo that came with them. Buy CVPC (suitable for situations involving drinking water uses) and you should be good. A handful of elbows, some 3 foot long sections and some caps for the ends and you are good to go. I drilled 1/4 inch holes spaced every 1 1/4 inches to keep a good flow.

Red Red Red
Mar 7, 2013

Yesterday we put a small striped catfish in my tank along with a few new plants. This morning there is no sign of the catfish, the other fish in the tank are small as well except for the pleco who is getting a little to big for the tank. Could he have killed and eaten my catfish? I thought they dont kill other fish.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
No
1. died and got eaten, might be boney remains after 1 night
2. jumped out
3. hiding
4. hiding REALLY REALLY WELL

I have a small clown pleco that I bought and never saw for MONTHS, Ive been catchling glimpses of him a lot more recently lately but usually I saw the thing every couple o months for a few seconds before it ran away again.

What kind of catfish?
If its a pictus, they are usually kinda active. Can't think of other stripey ones. Raphaels like to hide.

Red Red Red
Mar 7, 2013

Its a Raphael. I do have a lot of plants in the tank, both real and fake with lots of places to hide. I guess I'll just hope hes in there somewhere.

Edit: FOUND HIM! Hes a super hider, my daughter had me take out all the plants and decorations to look for him and we didn't see him so we put them all back and were sitting around being all bummed out when we saw him wiggling around in a nook inside a rock.

Red Red Red fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Doradids do that. You will only ever see him MAYBE when the lights are off.