Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

ChloroformSeduction posted:

I'm apparently hard at work turning my son gay again. On Monday we were running some errands, and we needed to get some pullups. I try to let him pick his own stuff, and this time, for whatever reason, he wanted the Disney princess girl ones (he also picked out a Thomas the Train picture book.) I know how his dad feels about these things, but completely forgot about it on Tuesday when his dad picked him up for dinner, and I got a sternly worded email afterwards.

The thing is, I really don't think preferring a colour sometimes or all the times has anything to do with sexuality, and even if it did, hooray for him. I am a little concerned though about how concerned his dad is about it. His nanny was telling me about how the other week she had to change his shorts because his dad felt they were too bright an orange colour and didn't want to take him out like that. Is it just me, or is his dad being a little odd?

Sounds like my father in law and I'm not sure if 'odd' is the right word, he's scared that pink will turn his little boy gay. Stupid is probably more accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Doll stroller gayby checking in

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
So, somewhat poop question. I think Cs constipated (clay, small ball). However he's only fed 1-2 purees or oatmeal a day, with the main bulk being breast milk. I *think* he's having issues because he went longer between feeds this weekend (he's teething so totally uninterested in eating). I plan on putting him on the boob for most of the day tomorrow to see if that helps, but is there anything else I can do?

Is it okay to give a 6 month old water? We REALLY don't want to do juice anytime soon. So if I can avoid that at all costs would be awesome.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Lullabee posted:

So, somewhat poop question. I think Cs constipated (clay, small ball). However he's only fed 1-2 purees or oatmeal a day, with the main bulk being breast milk. I *think* he's having issues because he went longer between feeds this weekend (he's teething so totally uninterested in eating). I plan on putting him on the boob for most of the day tomorrow to see if that helps, but is there anything else I can do?

Is it okay to give a 6 month old water? We REALLY don't want to do juice anytime soon. So if I can avoid that at all costs would be awesome.

I started offering water when we started solids. You don't have to give juice.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

rectal cushion posted:

I started offering water when we started solids. You don't have to give juice.

Yeah, and we're finding our little guy really needs more than a few sips of water when he's eating cereal, since it's so binding. Especially the rice cereal, but even the oatmeal can really pack the poo in there. We increased the water intake a bunch at meals, and added in some prunes at breakfast occasionally, and we're back to the usual "play-doh from the play-doh press" consistency. He was a bit unimpressed with water at first, but once he decided food was the best thing ever, water from a sippy cup was soon at the top of the list. I figure I'll stay away from juice for as long as I can, hopefully years.

Completely unrelated, but we just finished our whirlwind 3 week AUS->US trip that involved over 60 hours of flight time/layovers, a dozen different cities, dozens of hours of road trips, and probably a hundred different relatives and friends. I can say without a doubt that with our 6/7 month old was a freakin' legend for virtually all of it, and buying a 3rd airline seat would have been an absolute waste of money. At that age, he seems to want two things: Sleep or sitting on someone's lap and playing. He was great on all the flights, only losing it in the last 30 minutes of the final leg home, but we'd been flying/layovers for 30 hours straight at that point. I was pretty drat impressed. He didn't like the airplane bassinets on the way over, but he slept probably 13 of the 16 hours on the LAX-MEL flight back in the bassinet.

However, any older than that, and I think you'd seriously have to consider a third seat. And even then, I think that 1-2 age range could be really, really tough for flying long-haul. They're too old to just sit on your lap and play with a toy, but not old enough to sit by themselves for hours with something like a tablet or movie for entertainment. There's always the terrible 2s/3s, but if you're smart and really limited the TV/tablet time, you'll have them entranced.

Airline employees/customs officials/you name it are awesome when you've got a baby. We got waved to the front of every single queue, granted exceptions for fluids/carry-ons, and offered assistance at every turn. It's still a massive ordeal to travel that much with a super young kid, but that kind of help really took out a lot of the stress. We'd have the stewardesses follow us down to bag claim and make sure we got all our bags OK, and even had one insist she find us a luggage cart for free. Little stuff like that all along the line.

I'll also echo what other people have said, road trips are far worse that plane trips, especially when the crankiness is out in full force. At least you can walk and bounce on a plane, but when you're stuck in the car for hours, oh man the suffering. Nothing like stopping at every single rest area to turn a simple 2 hour drive into a 4 hour ordeal.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

JBark posted:

Completely unrelated, but we just finished our whirlwind 3 week AUS->US trip that involved over 60 hours of flight time/layovers, a dozen different cities, dozens of hours of road trips, and probably a hundred different relatives and friends. I can say without a doubt that with our 6/7 month old was a freakin' legend for virtually all of it, and buying a 3rd airline seat would have been an absolute waste of money. At that age, he seems to want two things: Sleep or sitting on someone's lap and playing. He was great on all the flights, only losing it in the last 30 minutes of the final leg home, but we'd been flying/layovers for 30 hours straight at that point. I was pretty drat impressed. He didn't like the airplane bassinets on the way over, but he slept probably 13 of the 16 hours on the LAX-MEL flight back in the bassinet.

However, any older than that, and I think you'd seriously have to consider a third seat. And even then, I think that 1-2 age range could be really, really tough for flying long-haul. They're too old to just sit on your lap and play with a toy, but not old enough to sit by themselves for hours with something like a tablet or movie for entertainment. There's always the terrible 2s/3s, but if you're smart and really limited the TV/tablet time, you'll have them entranced.

Airline employees/customs officials/you name it are awesome when you've got a baby. We got waved to the front of every single queue, granted exceptions for fluids/carry-ons, and offered assistance at every turn. It's still a massive ordeal to travel that much with a super young kid, but that kind of help really took out a lot of the stress. We'd have the stewardesses follow us down to bag claim and make sure we got all our bags OK, and even had one insist she find us a luggage cart for free. Little stuff like that all along the line.

Every passenger should have their own seat, period. Again, violent, unexpected turbulence is a real thing, and your plane CAN literally fall out of the sky for a few seconds due to strange weather. This is not hyperbole, this is real, albeit uncommon. Read about microbursts, etc. I hate to use appeal to authority on this, but during flight school this was drilled into my head again and again.

Considering a seat for your infant a waste of money is literally the same as considering a carseat a waste of money since you have a perfectly good lap in a car as well. Do you have a carseat? Do you consider it a waste of money? Did you only buy it because "The Man" would fine you if you didn't?

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Volmarias posted:

Every passenger should have their own seat, period. Again, violent, unexpected turbulence is a real thing, and your plane CAN literally fall out of the sky for a few seconds due to strange weather. This is not hyperbole, this is real, albeit uncommon. Read about microbursts, etc. I hate to use appeal to authority on this, but during flight school this was drilled into my head again and again.

Considering a seat for your infant a waste of money is literally the same as considering a carseat a waste of money since you have a perfectly good lap in a car as well. Do you have a carseat? Do you consider it a waste of money? Did you only buy it because "The Man" would fine you if you didn't?

Do you have links to show reallife evidence of babies being seriously hurt in turbulence frequently enough for this to be an actual concern? Because I've heard this over and over but people fly with lap children every day and there are not dozens of injuries a day. I think the risk is very small.

Flying is very different from driving in a car and I would never drive in a car without a carseat. Flying is SO MUCH SAFER that it's pretty ridiculous for you to say it's literally the same thing.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

Do you have links to show reallife evidence of babies being seriously hurt in turbulence frequently enough for this to be an actual concern? Because I've heard this over and over but people fly with lap children every day and there are not dozens of injuries a day. I think the risk is very small.

Flying is very different from driving in a car and I would never drive in a car without a carseat. Flying is SO MUCH SAFER that it's pretty ridiculous for you to say it's literally the same thing.

http://www.examiner.com/article/turbulence-turns-airplane-into-a-roller-coaster-passengers-describe-their-horrific-ordeal

Imagine having your adorable little football bouncing around the cabin, slamming their adorable little head into bulkheads at high speed because you didn't feel it was necessary to buy a third seat. Flying is totally safe, right? Why waste the money?

http://www.airsafe.com/cabin/turb.htm
http://www.airsafe.com/events/turb.htm

Statistically, flying is safer than driving, but not by much. Don't forget to compare the number of air flights vs the number of auto trips. If there were only 50,000 automobile trips globally every day, you might think that cars were pretty safe too. This is why air crashes make the news; they don't happen with such regularity as auto trips, so they're actually a newsworthy event.

I'm not going to dredge up statistics for you, you're an adult, you can do your own research with a few clicks. If you choose to take your child's life into your own hands because it's cheaper than buying another seat, that's your choice.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Volmarias posted:

http://www.examiner.com/article/turbulence-turns-airplane-into-a-roller-coaster-passengers-describe-their-horrific-ordeal

Imagine having your adorable little football bouncing around the cabin, slamming their adorable little head into bulkheads at high speed because you didn't feel it was necessary to buy a third seat. Flying is totally safe, right? Why waste the money?

http://www.airsafe.com/cabin/turb.htm
http://www.airsafe.com/events/turb.htm

Statistically, flying is safer than driving, but not by much. Don't forget to compare the number of air flights vs the number of auto trips. If there were only 50,000 automobile trips globally every day, you might think that cars were pretty safe too. This is why air crashes make the news; they don't happen with such regularity as auto trips, so they're actually a newsworthy event.

I'm not going to dredge up statistics for you, you're an adult, you can do your own research with a few clicks. If you choose to take your child's life into your own hands because it's cheaper than buying another seat, that's your choice.

From your own link "While fatalities are rare, they do happen. Since 1980, AirSafe.com has identified six fatal turbulence accidents where at least one passenger was killed on a jet airliner. Less severe injuries are more common. For example, during the seven-year period 2003-2009, the NTSB identified 80 turbulence events on airliners that involved a serious injury to at least one person on the aircraft."

SIX FATAL TURBULENT ACCIDENTS since 1980. That number is very low.

I understand what you're saying. Flying with your child in a carseat is hands down the safest way to fly. I think you are vastly overstating the risk to lap babies. It is nowhere near as unsafe as car travel.

I'm done taking my children's life into my hands on airplanes since mine are all old enough to need their own seats now. If I had to do it over again though, I wouldn't hesitate.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

SIX FATAL TURBULENT ACCIDENTS since 1980. That number is very low.

Note that that's not 6 fatalities, that's just 6 incidents that resulted in a fatality. For the sake of estimates, we'll eliminate the 7 October 1981 incident, as that resulted in an aircraft crash with all hands, which seatbelts wouldn't have helped with, which brings our total up to 7 deaths. Lets do some back of the envelope calculations.

Lets estimate that there are about 1 billion auto trips per day.
Divide 1b by 20k, results in 50,000. So, driving is 50,000 times more common.
Multiply 50,000 by 7 fatalities, 350,000 fatalities over a 30 year period.
Divide by 30 years, about 11,667 fatalities yearly.
So, if flying were as common as driving, it'd average about 11,700 turbulence-related fatalities which do not involve the destruction of the aircraft, per year.

That number is a little higher, does that help?

Of course, we're still on something of an apples vs oranges comparison; we can't just compare this against the number of auto fatalities, since those general involve crashes rather than the equivalent of hitting a speed bump at high-speed with someone not strapped in. If we were going to compare aviation deaths vs auto deaths, we'd be able to do that, but we'd be losing sight of the original goal, which is to estimate the number of deaths caused by turbulence.

Please understand, there's a relatively small sample set to work with here, but that doesn't make this any less important. We're also only including the number of outright fatalities, and ignoring severe injuries. I'd still be concerned about severe injuries, especially at such a young age.

You're also including confirmation bias here. You can't say "My children traveled on my lap, they were fine, therefor there is little risk." What if there had been an incident? For reference, we recently traveled to hawaii, and the return flight had moderate turbulence sufficient to jerk us around. I insisted that my little one stay strapped in for the whole thing, even though she was clearly upset that she wasn't in our laps. Should I just say that it wasn't a big deal because nothing happened? What if we didn't have a seat for her? How could we have secured her?

Edit: Here's another way to think about it. Try to count the number of trips you've made, in your entire life, in any vehicle, and try to count the number of incidents you were involved in that caused an injury or fatality. Now count the number of air trips you've made. Think about the difference in sample size.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 26, 2013

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

ChloroformSeduction posted:

I'm apparently hard at work turning my son gay again. On Monday we were running some errands, and we needed to get some pullups. I try to let him pick his own stuff, and this time, for whatever reason, he wanted the Disney princess girl ones (he also picked out a Thomas the Train picture book.) I know how his dad feels about these things, but completely forgot about it on Tuesday when his dad picked him up for dinner, and I got a sternly worded email afterwards.

The thing is, I really don't think preferring a colour sometimes or all the times has anything to do with sexuality, and even if it did, hooray for him. I am a little concerned though about how concerned his dad is about it. His nanny was telling me about how the other week she had to change his shorts because his dad felt they were too bright an orange colour and didn't want to take him out like that. Is it just me, or is his dad being a little odd?

Picking a color has nothing at all to do with sexuality. In fact, 100 years ago pink was considered a manly color.

Even more irritating to me is a parent who thinks their kids' sexuality is something they have to keep from going gay. I don't know your home situation - sounds like you are separated - but I'd address that idiocy with the dad and do whatever you can to bring your kid up in an accepting environment.

You can also tell him that it's creepy to sexualize your kids but I imagine that will probably alienate him. Look forward to a future of pushing your son into manly pursuits, I guess!

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!

Lullabee posted:

I started giving my 7 month old water when I started giving her solids, I offer it after to help wash down anything still in her mouth. She LOVES water, I let her sip it right from the cup and she gets super mad if she notices us drinking water and not offering it to her.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive

tse1618 posted:

I started giving my 7 month old water when I started giving her solids, I offer it after to help wash down anything still in her mouth. She LOVES water, I let her sip it right from the cup and she gets super mad if she notices us drinking water and not offering it to her.

Yeah, I started giving him water in a sippy cup every few bites or so since we're doing purees. He hasn't quite gotten the holding it on his own thing down yet, but he's had maybe 25 bottles in his 6 months of life, so he hasn't been exposed to it. But he's getting there!

On another note, is there anything to prevent rug burn on knees? Hes hit the 'on all fours rocking' stage of almost crawling, and we're in an apartment with all carpet. So his knees are red. We go pants less because its cool enough to not need ac but not cool enough for pants.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Lullabee posted:

On another note, is there anything to prevent rug burn on knees? Hes hit the 'on all fours rocking' stage of almost crawling, and we're in an apartment with all carpet. So his knees are red. We go pants less because its cool enough to not need ac but not cool enough for pants.

Get some lightweight pants.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
BabyLegs.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
Would a blanket on the floor work for you? That's what my sister always did for her kids. Bonus is it's easier to clean than carpet :)

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012
Does anyone have any recommendations for baby carriers? I have an Ergo with infant insert but it is incredibly hot and my baby sweats buckets in it. She also seems to slump down in it, which is an absolute no according to the instructions. My baby is 3 1/2 months old.

I don't want a wrap as those things look hard to use and dangerous if you don't know what you are doing - as simple and safe as possible is best for me.

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force

DwemerCog posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for baby carriers? I have an Ergo with infant insert but it is incredibly hot and my baby sweats buckets in it. She also seems to slump down in it, which is an absolute no according to the instructions. My baby is 3 1/2 months old.

I don't want a wrap as those things look hard to use and dangerous if you don't know what you are doing - as simple and safe as possible is best for me.

I don't know how you are defining wrap but I love my mei tai. There was a month or so after he hit ten pounds (the switch to legs out) that was a little awkward but now that he's bigger he sits well in it. I use a hip carry because he likes to look out and I'm not comfortable with the back carry just yet.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
baby k'tan? http://youtu.be/1ThAv6JeVmA I have a moby and an ergo. When E was a little baby I liked the moby a lot. Then he got sick of it and we went to the ergo with infant insert. Now he's 10 months and in just the ergo. I like the hip carry for him to look around now. I don't like him on my back. In the hip carry he's not pressed tight against me and is a bit less sweaty. We still use the front carry and hood for a lot of his naps.

EDIT: Bwahahahaha. This was a link on that other youtube page. Teach me how to (dougie) breastfeed http://youtu.be/SZ3QO-7h4YA

Hdip fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 28, 2013

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012

lady flash posted:

I don't know how you are defining wrap but I love my mei tai. There was a month or so after he hit ten pounds (the switch to legs out) that was a little awkward but now that he's bigger he sits well in it. I use a hip carry because he likes to look out and I'm not comfortable with the back carry just yet.

I don't fancy the kind of carrier that requires you to tie things or wrap things (such as the mei tai) because I am all thumbs.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
I would search facebook for a local babywearing group so you can try on different carriers--a lot depends on personal preference and body type. It does sound like you don't have the middle straps tight enough if he's slumping. How's your baby's head control? Once Kosta had good head control, I ditched the wrap-around part of the Ergo (used it like once) and only used the little butt pillow.

Any carrier is going to be warmer than not wearing one. Some fabrics are more lightweight, like linen, but the tradeoff is that it's rougher and harder to break in. Some have a zip-out panel, like the Pognae--the butt is made of a mesh, and you can just zip the outer covering off to get extra air to the baby and then zip it right back on.

You would like the Beco Butterfly II (which I have). It's a soft structured carrier like the Ergo. It has a thin fabric panel between you and the baby, which actually keeps you a bit cooler. You don't have a thick infant insert--it comes with a detachable one included. It is in my opinion, the 100% most foolproof carrier in terms of back carries (when your little one gets bigger) because you actually snap the baby into the carrier first, and then can just put it on like a backpack. If you click the question mark by my name, I posted a picture of myself wearing my toddler in it. If you're looking to buy used, $60-70 is probably the best price you'll get.

Another option is a ring sling. Little higher learning curve, but less fabric on you, and very very versatile. Warmth depends on what material and weave you choose, and there's also the bonus of having a huge amount of choices. I use my ring sling with my toddler too, and it's pretty comfortable. The painful part is really carrying the diaper bag at the same time ;)

edit: You may not know, but avoid ebay and be careful where you buy from even on Amazon. There's a market for counterfeit baby carriers, and they're not as safe or comfortable.

Here's a video of how easy a back carry is with it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZyDgIncUeM

Ben Davis fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 28, 2013

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

DwemerCog posted:

I don't fancy the kind of carrier that requires you to tie things or wrap things (such as the mei tai) because I am all thumbs.

I was the same but got a mei tei for basically free and was surprised at how easy it is to use. I've got another one that's all buckles and straps and velcro but it doesn't feel as secure. If you can try one out without having to fork over cash I'd give it a shot - you might be surprised :)

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012

Ben Davis posted:

I would search facebook for a local babywearing group so you can try on different carriers--a lot depends on personal preference and body type. It does sound like you don't have the middle straps tight enough if he's slumping. How's your baby's head control? Once Kosta had good head control, I ditched the wrap-around part of the Ergo (used it like once) and only used the little butt pillow.

I went to one, and they were all crazy for wraps.

Ben Davis posted:

Any carrier is going to be warmer than not wearing one. Some fabrics are more lightweight, like linen, but the tradeoff is that it's rougher and harder to break in. Some have a zip-out panel, like the Pognae--the butt is made of a mesh, and you can just zip the outer covering off to get extra air to the baby and then zip it right back on.

The Ergo infant insert is like a thick duvet.

Ben Davis posted:

You would like the Beco Butterfly II (which I have). It's a soft structured carrier like the Ergo. It has a thin fabric panel between you and the baby, which actually keeps you a bit cooler. You don't have a thick infant insert--it comes with a detachable one included. It is in my opinion, the 100% most foolproof carrier in terms of back carries (when your little one gets bigger) because you actually snap the baby into the carrier first, and then can just put it on like a backpack. If you click the question mark by my name, I posted a picture of myself wearing my toddler in it. If you're looking to buy used, $60-70 is probably the best price you'll get.

I went to their site and couldn't find this; is it the same as the Gemini or Soleil?

Ben Davis posted:

Another option is a ring sling. Little higher learning curve, but less fabric on you, and very very versatile. Warmth depends on what material and weave you choose, and there's also the bonus of having a huge amount of choices. I use my ring sling with my toddler too, and it's pretty comfortable. The painful part is really carrying the diaper bag at the same time ;)

I had a look at one of these and it looked way to complicated. I want something like the Ergo, but without the heat and which supports the baby better.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
Check and see if they have a lighter version? Boba has the regular Boba and Boba Air, which is supposed to be cooler and lighter.

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012
I'm not all that bothered about the heat as my baby will soon be able not to use the infant insert, and also we will be moving into autumn at the same time. I am bothered about the way she slumps down, though I suppose that may fix itself as she gets bigger and stronger.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

DwemerCog posted:

The mei tai is really very simple. You need to tie it around you but nothing fancy like a Moby or wrap.

Ring slings aren't hard either. No tying, just throw it on and adjust the tightness.

Honestly nothing is going to be as mindless as a soft shell carrier like the Ergo. I guess you could try a sling but I am not a fan. It's hard finding the right size in my opinion.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

DwemerCog posted:

I like my Munchkin Jelly Bean sling, all one piece so you just toss it over your head. It's a bit thicker material but I find it works pretty good whether you stick their head into it or let them keep it out.

Emily quite liked it as a newborn.

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012

frenchnewwave posted:

The mei tai is really very simple. You need to tie it around you but nothing fancy like a Moby or wrap.

Ring slings aren't hard either. No tying, just throw it on and adjust the tightness.

I really am a klutz. Could never master the knot tying at Girl Guides. Anything that involves tying or wrapping would be a danger to my baby!

frenchnewwave posted:

Honestly nothing is going to be as mindless as a soft shell carrier like the Ergo.

I guess if that is as good as it gets, I'll just stick with it.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
I loved the K'Tan until my son grew into the Ergo. It's basically an idiot proof wrap because it's all done for you. I also had a Beco Butterfly, which isn't made anymore, and it was great for back carries but not as convenient for the front.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
I bought the K'tan for me and my husband, and as recommended went with a smaller size - so now we've got two K'tans that don't fit :v: His fit my mum perfectly, though, so she'll get to try it out when we go home for a visit at the end of September.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

DwemerCog posted:

I went to one, and they were all crazy for wraps.

The Ergo infant insert is like a thick duvet.

I went to their site and couldn't find this; is it the same as the Gemini or Soleil?

I had a look at one of these and it looked way to complicated. I want something like the Ergo, but without the heat and which supports the baby better.

I know it's thick; I have one. :) Were you able to try it without the wraparound but and just with the pillow part, or does she not have the head control yet? It should pull apart into two pieces when you pull the bottom out.

Anything you try, you're going to have to learn how to use, even if it's a slip-on sling like a Jellybean or balboa sling. I personally would go for something that's more adjustable to your body so you'll have more comfort for a longer period of time. If it helps, the BB2 is just like the Ergo in concept, but with 2 little clips added to hold baby in.

The Soleil and Gemini don't have the feature that lets you buckle the baby in before putting him on your back. You can find the BB2 on Amazon for sure, and if you google the name, there are still a bunch of other places selling it. It only got discontinued this year.

edit: did you try tightening the middle straps to prevent the slumping?

Ben Davis fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 29, 2013

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Anything you use to put a baby right up next to you is going to be warm in the summertime. Could you post a picture of you wearing the baby in the ergo? I just can't imagine how it wouldn't be secure if you're using the infant insert and have it tightened properly.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
V has been on a round of antibiotics for 2 weeks for a staph infection :( Tomorrow she has her 9 month appt and should be getting another dose of the hep B vaccine. Would you ask the dr to delay it for another couple of weeks? He said its safe but I've been reading too much poo poo on the Internet that makes me worried.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

I'm a babywearing nerd. The Beco Butterfly II got phased out in favor of the new Soleil. You should be able to find a BBII for sale on one of the babywearing swap groups or on thebabywearer.com forums, though. Which I got to demo the Soleil not that long ago, and I think it's really one of the best designed buckle carriers available. I recommend it over the Ergo, for sure. Boba and Tula are good brands of buckle carriers as well, if you see something there you like better. We had a BBII until my son outgrew it though; my husband liked that internal harness feature, which isn't a common thing.

The important thing to know is that floppy newborns and babies need structure in a carrier, or they just slump down, and then their airway is at risk. Buckle carriers, even with the infant inserts and whatnot, won't fit all that well until the baby can hold their torso up by themselves. The carrier just can't be adjusted and secured all that much. That's why wrap-style carriers and ring slings are the better until about the 4-month point. The buckle carriers try to accommodate parents that want just the one carrier, but it's not ideal. You're right that there's a learning curve, and I can appreciate that you don't even want to mess with it.

If heat is an issue, stay away from the stretchy wraps, including the k'tan. They're all so drat thick and hot, and they're kind of a waste of money because they get saggy with a baby heavier than 15 pounds. The only exception is the Wrapsody stretch hybrid wrap, which I'm nuts about. It feels like a well-worn thin t-shirt, but isn't hot, and doesn't get saggy until at least 20 pounds. I have a lot of carriers, some of them fairly pricy too, and I still use the Wrapsody regularly.

If money's not an object, you could get a full-buckle wrap conversion made from a linen wrap. That would be in the category of coveted specialty item, but one of the gals in the local babywearing group would know how to help you track one down or get one made especially for you.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I have used the same Seven Sling with both kids. It's all one piece, fairly lightweight, and idiot-proof. The company offers deals all the time for free slings, nursing covers, etc. I recommend it to everyone who asks about it.

I used the sling from a few weeks old until they could walk well on their own, just using different positions.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

frenchnewwave posted:

V has been on a round of antibiotics for 2 weeks for a staph infection :( Tomorrow she has her 9 month appt and should be getting another dose of the hep B vaccine. Would you ask the dr to delay it for another couple of weeks? He said its safe but I've been reading too much poo poo on the Internet that makes me worried.

Ignore anything you read on the internet about vaccines, far too much scare mongering & bullshit out there.

I'm not a doctor, but from what I know, in general antibiotics should have no effect on vaccines, either as reactions or reducing the effect. You should avoid anti-inflammatories (ibuprofen, paracetemol, piriton for example) for the first 24 hours or so, as these have been shown to reduce the effectiveness of the vaccine, as it reduces the level of immune response. But anti-biotics should be fine.

End of the day, if you trust your doctor enough to prescribe drugs to your child, you should trust them enough on vaccines (which are considerably safer) ;)

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

As far as buckle carriers go, the Ergo is a great one, but just not perfect for all body types or all baby shapes. It's the one people know about the most, but not the only one or the best one for everyone by any means. I found it incredibly uncomfortable, but my husband loves it. I find the Beco Gemini very comfortable, and my husband does, too.

In the babywearing group I'm in, the Tula is like the holy grail of all buckle carriers, so if you can get your hands on one of those to try out, you might find that it's a great fit for you, too.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Sounds like my father in law and I'm not sure if 'odd' is the right word, he's scared that pink will turn his little boy gay. Stupid is probably more accurate.

hepscat posted:

Even more irritating to me is a parent who thinks their kids' sexuality is something they have to keep from going gay. I don't know your home situation - sounds like you are separated - but I'd address that idiocy with the dad and do whatever you can to bring your kid up in an accepting environment.

Yeah, he often says/does things that are just far enough out there that I start to question whether I'm the crazy one. I'm kind of hoping that for my son's sake he ends up totally straight/cisgendered and into hockey so that he doesn't have to deal with his dad. He doesn't really have anything to worry about on my end, my brother and his husband are around a fair bit, my cousin is FTM, my other one is a lesbian (I do think that might be part of his dad's problem, since he seems to feel that my genetic contributions consist of gayness and a propensity towards sunburn), but I hope his dad snaps out of it at some point. I got court-ordered counseling for him that he's been dragging his feet on, but I really feel it's something that needs to be addressed.

OzyMandrill posted:

Ignore anything you read on the internet about vaccines, far too much scare mongering & bullshit out there.

End of the day, if you trust your doctor enough to prescribe drugs to your child, you should trust them enough on vaccines (which are considerably safer) ;)
This. Your doctor knows more than Dr Google. He's aware she's on the antibiotics, and feels it's ok. Doing your own research is awesome, but with vaccines there is just so much crap out there.

Interesting how that anti-vaccine pastor behind the measles epidemic in Portland has done a full 180 on his views.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

frenchnewwave posted:

Ask your pediatrician if you want to delay the vaccination for the sake of the staph infection. Don't ask the internet, unless you're going to go into The Goon Doctor and ask there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

frenchnewwave posted:

Are you sure she's getting a vaccine? The only reason she would is if you skipped it at the 6 month visit, based on the AAP's recommended vaccination schedule. We just had our 9 month appointment on Tuesday and it was just a checkup.