Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'd welcome a game where the "good" path is much, much more difficult than simply flat out more rewarding. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah, an all natural run should be hard to pull off.

That is, if it's even something they "allow" or if you are just gonna get rail-roaded onto some sort of "Modified" path :iiam:

THE HUBRIS

(We might be slightly overstating the size & scope of this expansion)

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

I'd welcome a game where the "good" path is much, much more difficult than simply flat out more rewarding. :v:

Because good deeds are their own reward!

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Andre Banzai posted:

My guess is that we're gonna face a very fierce opposition in EW. Something so powerful that we're gonna have to make the difficult choice: sacrifice the soldiers' humanity to have a chance or risk battling impossible odds without employing meld.

I am guessing the opposing "faction" that is still to come will be an infiltrated, "Cult of Sirius" organization tht will employ meld against XCOM. That would serve to add drama to the narrative:

1) If XCOM faces the organization employing meld as well, we're not much different than they. At least we'd agree with them that humanity is better off "evolved" this way. And yeah, the Ethereals wanted to "guide" us, didn't they?

2) If we choose to face them with "pure" humans, it's gonna be much tougher. But at least we send the World a clear message of who the good guys are. Also, we kinda show, in a poetic way, that the human spirit prevails.

In option 2, if my guess is correct, you'd only see the new soldier customization content as it's employed against you. Which would kinda be a bummer, but I don't think removing the limbs of my soldiers is terribly exciting either, so we'll see.

My only problem with the "choosing to stay pure vs. augment humans" idea is that it sounds way too much like a story-driven RPG. XCOM is a tactics game that is light on story and thus far it's "moral quandaries" have existed solely in throw-away flavor text. Maybe I'm alone, but I'd rather the "fierce challenge" just be really a tough opponent and let the players work in their own narrative about human purity. Otherwise it's going to be too story-driven, and we saw how well that worked with Slingshot.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Andre Banzai posted:

1) If XCOM faces the organization employing meld as well, we're not much different than they. At least we'd agree with them that humanity is better off "evolved" this way. And yeah, the Ethereals wanted to "guide" us, didn't they?

I don't get this line of thought at all. XCOM using meld in no way whatsoever makes them the same as the aliens. The Ethereals apparently enslave entire races and go around invading planets to test new races for <whatever>. We've seen nothing to indicate XCOM wants to "enhance" humanity at large any more than they want to draft the entire planet into nanofibre vests, hand them a laser pistol and force them to invade some unsuspecting world for a lark.

XCOM is a small elite unit, and I'm going to go ahead and assume any troopers being melded volunteer for it, since making supersoldiers against their will would seem to run serious risks of them twisting your head off with their giant robot hands as soon as they get back in shape. If it turns out we actually drag screaming soldiers down to Shen's lab to lop off their limbs and then use drugs/psi to keep them under control, then yeah, then I'd be worried XCOM had taken a darker path, but until then it just seems to be a case of you using the alien's tech against them, much as you do with plasma guns.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Pfft, you guys are loving weird. I'm going to augment the hell out of my soldiers because that poo poo is loving cool. I'll keep a few gene assault troopers for close combat, a few MECH heavies and a number of regular supports and snipers to pad it out. I'll probably forget SHIV's even exist though.

drat the consequences!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

I don't get this line of thought at all. XCOM using meld in no way whatsoever makes them the same as the aliens. The Ethereals apparently enslave entire races and go around invading planets to test new races for <whatever>. We've seen nothing to indicate XCOM wants to "enhance" humanity at large any more than they want to draft the entire planet into nanofibre vests, hand them a laser pistol and force them to invade some unsuspecting world for a lark.

XCOM is a small elite unit, and I'm going to go ahead and assume any troopers being melded volunteer for it, since making supersoldiers against their will would seem to run serious risks of them twisting your head off with their giant robot hands as soon as they get back in shape. If it turns out we actually drag screaming soldiers down to Shen's lab to lop off their limbs and then use drugs/psi to keep them under control, then yeah, then I'd be worried XCOM had taken a darker path, but until then it just seems to be a case of you using the alien's tech against them, much as you do with plasma guns.

It's volunteering, but then it's volunteering in the "so, if you don't agree to have most of your body replaced with cybernetic parts then the aliens will exterminate humanity sense".

Kinda like The Volunteer doesn't really have a choice.

Edgecase
Dec 7, 2009

Alchenar posted:

What if the game chose the Volunteer for you? You know, like... the actual soldier volunteered?

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Hellburger99 posted:

My only problem with the "choosing to stay pure vs. augment humans" idea is that it sounds way too much like a story-driven RPG. XCOM is a tactics game that is light on story and thus far it's "moral quandaries" have existed solely in throw-away flavor text. Maybe I'm alone, but I'd rather the "fierce challenge" just be really a tough opponent and let the players work in their own narrative about human purity. Otherwise it's going to be too story-driven, and we saw how well that worked with Slingshot.

Also think about how much they'd have to change to make the game on the whole so challenging that your "all-natural" playthroughs (which is what we currently have) would be almost insurmountable without the semi-tame stat-boosts from gene modding, or help from SHIVmen.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Sick of Long War, time to restart on Classic Ironman vanilla. Think I'll go with random stats, rare psykers and 100% crit from flanking attacks, and start off in Europe to grab some fast early satellites and then I'll see where I go from there. I haven't completed a game of this since release so it'll be good fun I hope!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
The most obvious and terrible thing about the mec troopers is that they'll get loving FAT because their limbs are lopped off and they'll still be eating a normal amount. Or, they'll be permanently hungry.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I'm someone who once used rookies in the original XCOM to run at the enemy with armed detpacks, suicide bomber style.

The idea that I'll have compunctions about lopping limbs off my meatbags to make them more efficient killing machines is is kinda :3:

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

redreader posted:

The most obvious and terrible thing about the mec troopers is that they'll get loving FAT because their limbs are lopped off and they'll still be eating a normal amount. Or, they'll be permanently hungry.

Nah, they probably have a daily allotment of specially formulated food cubes they consume. Like monkey chow, for people! :v:

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Darkrenown posted:

Banzai might be overstating it a bit, but we do have a pretty complicated relationship with the tools we create. Alfred Nobel might not have been a military man, but how much of the infrastructure that dynamite made possible wound up getting leveled by other industrial grade explosives? Nuclear fission is probably our best shot at transitioning into a sustainable world economy, but we've also used it to blow ourselves up a couple of times. Then there's the issue of climate change, and how we're gonna cook ourselves because we've built our whole world on a dogpile of dangerous, but also Cool New Techs that we'd clearly be fools not to incorporate asap.

Basically, it doesn't really matter what XCOM wants, because once it's invented and applied, the tech is gonna get out anyway, and we're almost certain to abuse it somewhere along the line. That abuse, in turn, will slowly shift our understanding of what's possible or even acceptable. It's easy to imagine that something similar happened with the Ethereals or whoever back in the day.

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 26, 2013

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Alchenar posted:

It's volunteering, but then it's volunteering in the "so, if you don't agree to have most of your body replaced with cybernetic parts then the aliens will exterminate humanity sense".

Volunteering for the military means accepting you may be killed or crippled. This is especially true in wartime, and double-super-especially true when the war is against highly advanced aliens. Anyone joining XCOM as a trooper must know it's almost certain they'll be killed, but they are willing to do so anyway because otherwise the aliens will exterminate humanity, so there's not really any greater pressure to be meched. Besides, I doubt they'd need to pressure anyone into doing it, there's always the hardcore that are willing to do anything to win, especially in an elite force. I would expect there'd be enough people keen to take any steps necessary to strike at the aliens that they wouldn't need to pressure anyone who wasn't keen on the idea into it.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 26, 2013

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

We've had the technology to reattach human limbs since the 60s. So long as the soldiers' "discarded" bodyparts are taken off carefully and well preserved, they can probably be put back on when the war's over.

The genetically modified and psychic soldiers are the ones who are changed for good.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

SlothfulCobra posted:

We've had the technology to reattach human limbs since the 60s. So long as the soldiers' "discarded" bodyparts are taken off carefully and well preserved, they can probably be put back on when the war's over.

The genetically modified and psychic soldiers are the ones who are changed for good the better.

There was a mistake here. It's gone now.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Turn your gravelly wounded soldiers into mechs and claim it was necessary to save their lives.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I can imagine the 'intro sequence' for the mec technology: a trooper lifts something heavy with their robo arms+legs. Their back breaks. "we need more testing", says The Doctor.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I've always wanted to be a cyborg so I see no problem with robocopping my soldiers.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

redreader posted:

I can imagine the 'intro sequence' for the mec technology: a trooper lifts something heavy with their robo arms+legs. Their back breaks. "we need more testing", says The Doctor.

No, this is where they rocket punch a random captive alien and Dr Vahlen collects the leftover brains while everyone else is giggling maniacally :getin:

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Icon Of Sin posted:

No, this is where they rocket punch a random captive alien and Dr Vahlen collects the leftover brains while everyone else is giggling maniacally :getin:

Honestly, punching a sectoid into a car so hard it explodes should give the rest of the squad a temporary Will boost.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Dear Firaxis,

Please make a new hero character when you name him STERLING ARCHER. The only hero trait this character will have will be the Danger Zone perk unlocked immediately. Sure, most classes wouldn't benefit from this as they don't get rockets/suppression. I don't care, just do this please.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Catts posted:

Honestly, punching a sectoid into a car so hard it explodes should give the rest of the squad a temporary Will boost.

This is the best idea.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

gannyGrabber posted:

Psssh, you guys and your "morality".

"Their. . . ethical inflexibility. . has allowed us to make progress in areas they refuse to consider!"

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

More news at PAX:

Strategy Masterminds Mega Panel - XCOM: Enemy Within @ SATURDAY 8/31 3:30PM - 4:30PM

PANELISTS:
Ananda Gupta [Lead Designer], Garth DeAngelis [Senior Designer], Steve Ogden [Studio Art Director], Adam Sessler [Executive Producer]

Join us for never-before-seen footage and major announcements for XCOM: Enemy Within, Firaxis Games and 2K’s upcoming expansion for the award-winning XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Moderated by Adam Sessler of Rev3 Games, this panel takes a look behind the curtain at Firaxis Games as the team discusses many of the ideas that went into the creation of this highly anticipated expansion. You won’t want to miss this panel, so be sure to come early to secure your seat!

Also, from http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2013/08/xcom-enemy-within-announced.html

"Because the Melds are alien tech, it is possible for them to corrupt your soldiers if you are not careful, hence the title."

No idea how the author of that blog got that information, but well... more stuff to theorize about.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Aliens control mechs through their psionic implants - X-COM, in their haste to wield the same weapons, use the same implants. This may place them under passive alien control, possibly even providing a beacon pointing straight to the base.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

WarpedNaba posted:

Aliens control mechs through their psionic implants - X-COM, in their haste to wield the same weapons, use the same implants. This may place them under passive alien control, possibly even providing a beacon pointing straight to the base.

Unless there is the choice not to use them. That might even be one of the achievements.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

redreader posted:

I think if the conversion process to becoming an MEC trooper was like the "Stroggification" process in Quake 4 (which you get to experience first-hand), that would be kind of dark and cool.

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJwyjWpP4XA May be :nms: if you're extra squeamish.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I beat the game on normal when it came out, and haven't messed with it since. All this expansion talk has got me in the mood again and I'm playing through it again on classic. I tend to like longer, drawn out games (I always play Civ V on marathon) I see the Long War mod is pretty popular here, but I really don't want to fiddle with game settings and forcing steam into offline mode and so forth. I see there are new options, and my question is how do people feel about the marathon game option?

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

I beat the game on normal when it came out, and haven't messed with it since. All this expansion talk has got me in the mood again and I'm playing through it again on classic. I tend to like longer, drawn out games (I always play Civ V on marathon) I see the Long War mod is pretty popular here, but I really don't want to fiddle with game settings and forcing steam into offline mode and so forth. I see there are new options, and my question is how do people feel about the marathon game option?

If you're like me, simply playing Classic IRONMAN will be enough to give you that feeling of a long war. But not in the most obvious sense... The game will throw you so many complicated situations to deal with that you're gonna have to take your time thinking, or else you're gonna get screwed pretty hard.

Personally, I think mods and "Marathon" mode just drag the game way too much. I love playing Civ 5 on Epic and Marathon too, but for XCOM... I dunno, it doesn't feel as right, at least IMHO.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

counterfeitsaint posted:

I see there are new options, and my question is how do people feel about the marathon game option?

It's not balanced quite right, you almost guaranteed will lose 3-5 countries in the first 4 months of the game even if you sell your first two UFO salvages, but after the rocky start it's smooth sailing that does what it says (research, facility building, soldier promotion, alien tech advancements are all about 2.5 times slower).

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

The Rat posted:

"Their. . . ethical inflexibility. . has allowed us to make progress in areas they refuse to consider!"

:golfclap:

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I've been playing the mobile version recently, and while it looks like fried rear end compared to the full PC version, there's actually a usability upgrade that's not on the PC version; you can see the panic levels of all the other parts of the countries abductions take place in. I hope this makes it into the PC version eventually.

Edit: X-Com was the dream of good governments.

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 27, 2013

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

The Rat posted:

What's this from, Starcraft?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

WarpedNaba posted:

Deus Ex. Specifically Bob Page.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

WarpedNaba posted:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

WarpedNaba posted:

The original Deus Ex, actually.

"Mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel"

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Count Uvula posted:

It's not balanced quite right, you almost guaranteed will lose 3-5 countries in the first 4 months of the game even if you sell your first two UFO salvages, but after the rocky start it's smooth sailing that does what it says (research, facility building, soldier promotion, alien tech advancements are all about 2.5 times slower).

Yeah, I had to do some .ini tweaking to get Marathon to feel right on the strategic level.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I think if the conversion process to becoming an MEC trooper was like the "Stroggification" process in Quake 4 (which you get to experience first-hand), that would be kind of dark and cool.

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJwyjWpP4XA May be :nms: if you're extra squeamish.

Huh...that's actually less terrifying than what Q2 suggested. More of a Borg style process that you can live through. In 2 the Strogg just dropped people into literal meat-grinders, or crushed them with giant pistons so that they could use the left over gibs and meat goop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Ernie Muppari posted:

Huh...that's actually less terrifying than what Q2 suggested. More of a Borg style process that you can live through. In 2 the Strogg just dropped people into literal meat-grinders, or crushed them with giant pistons so that they could use the left over gibs and meat goop.

They kept the meat goop around too fortunately:

I am hoping that MEC-ing can only be initiated on gravely wounded soldiers; besides constraining the potential pool, it feels just sinister enough to be narratively interesting without veering into Mengele territory.

• Locked thread