Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Tomorrow at 19:00 BST/14:00 EST/Our Normal Euro Event Time there's a Rome at War event. Since pubbies are invited I figure this is a good opportunity to get our feet wet in one of the man-stabbingest periods of history. The rules are geared more toward clans so as pubbies the plan is to just pick a basic infantry class with the free armor provided and stick with the team.

Important things to know about Rome at War:

-B is taunt
-C puts you into testudo mode if you're Roman. This locks you into place holding your shield up in the air like an idiot.
-X with a one-handed spear will switch between underhand and overhand mode. With overhand mode you will actually stab over the person directly in front of you. This will likely form the basis of any organized shield walls we come up with.
-Throwing spears seem to release from this janky straight line arc.
-Stabbing is generally the fastest and most damaging attack for most weapons.
-If you're a Gaulish standard bearer with the carnyx, Q plays it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Aight, dropbox is updating.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I woke up to find that Rome at War apparently updated yesterday.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Bloody typical, I swear this happens every time we go back to a Warband mod. Here come the million IS IT UPDATED!? questions I love so much.

Download the update, this is what your Roman dude guy should look like:

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
That doesn't look like a comedy Roman name Nurdbot tut tut

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

It's also supposed to be [S*P*R*G]

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Gimnbo posted:

So do we keep the underscore between tag and silly Roman name? [S*P*R*G]Alces_Rex, for example, or [S*P*R*G]_Alces_Rex? The first one looks better, in my opinion.

So is the Rome at War event just today, or are we still having the one on Saturday as well?

Moose King fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 28, 2013

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
So who's going to be Bigus Dickus and Romanes Eunt Domus?

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

We're not actually signed up for today's event. We're doing a tour as pubbies. Hopefully the organizers won't mind too much. Saturday's event is the one Nurdbot actually applied for.

So the new patch makes it so you can actually move while taunting, testudoing, and playing the carnyx. Unfortunately it also moved the smiley gorgon shields so that only the elite hoplites get them.

Gimnbo fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 28, 2013

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Gimnbo posted:

-If you're a Gaulish standard bearer with the carnyx, Q plays it.

Fun trick with the carnyx: whilst blowing thine own horn, switch weapons. The carnyx will be replaced by whatever sword you're carrying and it will look like your trying to shove the hilt into your mouth.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Gimnbo posted:

Character limit. And don't try to change me, baby.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

SeanBeansShako posted:

Character limit. And don't try to change me, baby.

Character limit my rear end, I'm rolling as [S*P*R*G]Gim_Shi_Huang.

EDIT:What the hell, the carnyx heals teammates when you play it.

Gimnbo fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 28, 2013

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Pubbies Delenda Est

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The Roman themed pubbie bashing is happening in half an hour, download or update your version of the mod right now.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

The goon single event TK record stands at I think 6. We should probably strive not to break it.

Should we move on to other mods I think it would be nice if we didn't start talking poo poo within 10 minutes of barging into the community. I know it was because some people were being assholes but we didn't even sign up for the event and they still let us play as a group. Just let that poo poo go since most of them are probably just smartass teenagers. If we get to whine about our team's arty sucking, I'm willing to let people point out the low quality of GOON MELEE.

Aside from that I thought the event was enjoyable. Hopefully we'll get better at stabbing since that's all we ever do for melee in any mod.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
What we learned tonight about playing Rome at War:

- Tread lightly, because you are treading on someone's dreams.

- Pila are awesome and correctly deployed they should shatter all those shields that make blocking so easy.

- Hoplites are rubbish because they can't use pila.

- We are terrible at melee combat. Maybe when the encumbrance system is switched on we can all be peltasts and lead a merry chase away from heavy infantry.

- LP cannot be trusted.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Boogoose posted:

- We are terrible at melee combat. Maybe when the encumbrance system is switched on we can all be peltasts and lead a merry chase away from heavy infantry.

Playing with the encumbrance enabled last patch it was very noticeable, I think we'd fair better as light hoplites being able to dance in and out.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
Also keep in mind that tonight was for most of us the very first time playing the mod, so I think we did quite well despite all the defeats. As for the antagonistic tone, I think I'm to blame. I should have deflected the first "wow goons suck" with the fact that it was our first day, rather than blaming the system. I broke my own rule about getting super serious over allchat.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Boogoose posted:

I should have deflected the first "wow goons suck" with the fact that it was our first day..

The issue with this defense is that that will never change. :v:

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Well they don't know that. Yet.

I know my problem as hoplite was that I was too hesitant to drop the spear. I kind of think that distance between the tip of the spear/bayonet and the range of the short sword/sabre briquet is where most goons die. We go from terrible to meh once we close the distance.

Gimnbo fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 28, 2013

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !

Gimnbo posted:

Well they don't know that. Yet.

I know my problem as hoplite was that I was too hesitant to drop the spear. I kind of think that distance between the tip of the spear/bayonet and the range of the short sword/sabre briquet is where most goons die. We go from terrible to meh once we close the distance.

If someone is attacking you with with a spear, it's probably best to drop your own and start swedging them with your sword. We mostly died due to being rusty at quick melee skills, where a fast sword close up is a good way of overwhelming someone regardless of their load-out. It doesn't help that my instinctive sword attack is to slash rather than stab, especially when I'm moving and most of the era-appropriate weapons are better at stabbing. At one point I had to slash someone six or seven times to put them down.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

We got our American NW Siege event happening in around forty minutes tonight goons. So show up if you are interested!

nohitcharlie
Sep 7, 2011

Soldaten bereiten zu dieser Phantasie Vogel schieben!
We are sieging/being sieged. Need more goons to hold out/storm the walls.

ExParrot
May 6, 2013

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
If anyone has two and a half hours to spare, they've got the whole "55 Days At Peking" on youtube, well worth the watch if you enjoy stuff about the Boxer Rebellion...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9q-75TRZQg

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

In around forty minutes we'll be doing our weekly Blood And Iron event. Do show up now goons!

Also, the Spanish faction mod that replaces the NW Austrian army has finally been fixed and updated hopefully for the last time. Add it to the dropbox.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Welp, sadly due to flagging numbers (we were the 2nd biggest attending regiment never a good sign) the KPR have suspended the Thursday Blood And Iron event until the update.

It'll be a week or two before I look for a new US time zoned event to replace it. In the mean time, enjoy Rome 2!

Instead of EU Blood And Iron around 8PM Brit time some of us will meet up in the Mumble and play something else. For the fun of it apparently.

Also, I posted the N&S event thread. All that is left to do now is finalize the server and TeamSpeak channel and then we play the waiting game until the 14th.

a very nice paella
Oct 12, 2012

Kapitalism

SeanBeansShako posted:

Instead of EU Blood And Iron around 8PM Brit time some of us will meet up in the Mumble and play something else. For the fun of it apparently.

What is this 'fun' you speak of.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

This is what Sharpe thinks about 'fun'

a very nice paella
Oct 12, 2012

Kapitalism

I'm beginning to like this Rome at War mod.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

SS*P*R*G* rode gloriously into battle. Mod is pretty fun, although now we're probably banned from every RaW server.

Don Sultan
Aug 14, 2009

I am Sea Lion, hear me rwblbwoblbwoblbwoarr!
Why do I always miss the cool poo poo.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Megadyptes posted:

SS*P*R*G* rode gloriously into battle. Mod is pretty fun, although now we're probably banned from every RaW server.

There is only one.

Please goons, don't do this with mods with barely any players. We're running out of options here.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

We're an undisciplined ravenous horde without the guidance of our leader. I was just joking around, though. Although we did spend a round or two team-killing each other and maybe some random pubbie got stabbed in the back one time. Plus it was just mostly mucking around anyway, hardly any people on that server, think we had at most 3-4 non goons at any one time on.

cool new Metroid game fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 30, 2013

a very nice paella
Oct 12, 2012

Kapitalism

Don Sultan posted:

Why do I always miss the cool poo poo.

Because you wake up at 10 pm

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

We got our Friday American NW Line Battle in around 40 minutes time. I have the details already so just show up as soon as you can so we can get in on the server.

EDIT: For some reason the time zones for the Rome Event tomorrow are confusing. I've set it a little early to make sure we're not going to miss it. Rabh your a STEAM group officer guy now you look into this more thanks.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 31, 2013

Count Mippi
Nov 7, 2009

Benson's gonna drop his balls when he sees how good we set up these chairs. He's gonna be all like: "Oh no, my gumballs!"

It's time for the event goons, get on in mumble.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

We've got that Rome At War thing happening in around half an hour from this post. So come on into the Mumble goons!

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
The event has been postponed by about 20 minutes, which means you have more time to get in!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Happening soon, so get in if you can make it. Here are the rules again.

quote:

- Listen to the hosts. The red text that might pop up on your screen contains vital information and ignoring them will result in a kick.
- Keep the global chat civilized. Humour is allowed, but please do not argue about what is humor and what isn't.
- Skirmishers, Peltasts, Velites, Archers, Slingers and Cavalry are banned during the public rounds.
- For every 5 clanmembers each clan is allowed to have 1 skirmisher (javelin thrower or slinger)
- No engaging in fights alone, also referred to as "Ramboing". You need at least 3 people in your line to engage.
- If your line has less than 3 people join another one. Fighting to death is allowed.
- At least 50 participants are needed for cavalry to be allowed. Listen to the hosts.
- When there are 50 participants each clan/legion is allowed to field 1 cavalry unit. This might change on a battle to battle basis.
- Ranged classes are required to follow the 3 person line rule.
- Ranged classes are allowed to skirmish (with at least 2 teammates nearby) only if allied infantry is still alive.
- No delaying, if you're the last player alive on your team, it is your sacred duty to charge into a glorious melee and bring honour to your team.

Equipment
- Only the clan/legion leader is allowed the best armor. They are also the only ones allowed to use the Consvl, Strategos and Meddix classes.
- Only the second in command of each clan is allowed to use the captain class (Lochagos, Centurion, Meddix Touticus) and any equipment they have.
- For Gauls the two highest ranking officers in a clan are allowed the best armor.
- All others must use the free body armor of their class.
-This includes (but is not limited to) the Gallic Axeman class (Teceitos) you're only allowed the shirt if you're not one of the two officers mentioned above.
- Officers must have different helmets to the soldiers.
- Any weapons can be used.
Exceptions!
- Hastatii are allowed to use the Lorica Musculata.
- Hellenic factions are always allowed the worst Linothorax.
- Light Gallic units are always allowed shirts.
- Banner carriers must have a banner and carry it with pride to be allowed the best armor of their class.
- 1/8th of the clan is allowed to use the veteran troop (Triarivs, Epilektos, Argyraspides Phalangites, Legionarius Linteatus) of their faction. Equipment rules apply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Sultan
Aug 14, 2009

I am Sea Lion, hear me rwblbwoblbwoblbwoarr!

Perfect formation. Too bad it would never last.

• Locked thread