Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

In lieu of everything else I could possibly say about this episode, and there is quite a lot, for now I'll instead just point out that casting Kugimiya's cutesy voice for Kii-chan was an inspired choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Meanwhile the Stalin-Chans of the world will likely find it gut-bustingly hilarious.

Yeah you are probably right, will be a funny ep. I doubt I can relate to Tomoko here since my only memories of playing card games was losing at them. I can't really say I've ever thought of cheating.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

It is the sort of thing that will probably make a bunch of people hold their head all :psyduck:-style and go "oh no no no why why why would you DO THAT".

I had already read the manga and thought that I was prepared, and yet still had to do this :smith:

Kii is such a nice kid.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

Another great episode, the hickey scenes were hilarious and watching Tomoko deal with boys has always been very funny (although I feel like a heartless monster) but this new level of it is even better. Kii's opinions of Tomoko are pretty sad though, especially during the Magic The Gathering scene. There wasn't anything noticeably more disturbing in this episode for me, am I just not looking into it very much?

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Widdiful posted:

There wasn't anything noticeably more disturbing in this episode for me, am I just not looking into it very much?

Me too. After all the hype for this episode I didn't find it was worse than anything previous.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I didn't feel much personally when I read it and I didn't have to pause it like in the previous one. I figured it was something that everyone was waiting for. Recalling what is left, I don't think there's much cringe worthy material remaining. There's still a culture festival where she invites Yu, winter break/new year(with more cousin action), graduation day, and probably a 3rd part of summer vacation left if we're only getting 12 episodes, and in most of those she's nowhere near as bad as in the early ones. I hope they decide to do a second season. If not, the aforementioned graduation day episode will likely be made a lot happier. I'm thinking this is more a one off deal because they borrowed an outfit from a much later chapter in episode 7.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, I don't really get what all the wailing over this episode was, the only thing it really did differently was cast Tomoko in a completely unsympathetic light, cheating against kids is pretty low.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Help me, I think I'm going to die laughing. Best loving episode yet.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
The Konomi Suzuki version of the OP is kind of hilarious.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

This thread is pretty awesome for all the wildly variant reactions to what happens in this show :allears:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I don't know, the dude's version is kinda special in it's own way.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Show:*at library 2nd time* *rattle rattle rattle* "Um... UM..!"

Me:*pauses video player*"Oh god, oh no, oh god." :gonk:

I... I'll watch the rest later...

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Your one and only, scorching laser light

McDragon posted:

Help me, I think I'm going to die laughing. Best loving episode yet.

That part where her mom is getting ready to slap the poo poo out of her, oh my Christ. So loving good.

Also the solution to all the pausing if you can't BE A MAN, HOGAN enough to power through is to watch it with a friend. I simul it over irc with a buddy and each week is a loving riot.

This show.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
This show really gets better and better with each episode. I haven't read the manga at all so I have no idea how they're going to top Kii's visit.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Gaseous Snake posted:

This show really gets better and better with each episode. I haven't read the manga at all so I have no idea how they're going to top Kii's visit.

They won't

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Yeah, the OP single just came out and it's pretty great. I believe the ED single should be out tomorrow too.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

jonjonaug posted:

Yeah, the OP single just came out and it's pretty great. I believe the ED single should be out tomorrow too.

I wish all the EDs would come out tomorrow.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
This episode was every bit as great as I hoped it would be! The only bad thing is that they'll never be able to top this one, there's just no way.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Gaseous Snake posted:

I wish all the EDs would come out tomorrow.

How about right now? The ED single's up in the usual places now.

I just watched the new episode. It was everything I was hoping it would be. :allears:

EDIT: Oh wow, track 2 on the ED single is an alternate version of the ED song with vocals from Kana Hanazawa.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 28, 2013

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

jonjonaug posted:

How about right now? The ED single's up in the usual places now.

This is wonderful, need full lyrics asap. :allears:

The episode 6 ED too is icing on the cake hooray UtsuP.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
Another solid episode, but I dunno if I'm quite on the train to call it the pinnacle of even what they've shown so far.

That said... The card game. Oh god. I love you, show. Don't ever change.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
The full ED, and the Yuu-chan version.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

BambooEarpick posted:

Plays MTG like a true goon. Holy jeeze.

Where was her fedora? NO SALE :colbert:

Here is the card referenced in the episode, for maximum shameful nerd cred:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I am guessing the Lyrics for the Yuu version are happy given that they are different from the Tomoko version.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I'm liking the Yuu version a lot more than expected.

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 28, 2013

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am guessing the Lyrics for the Yuu version are happy given that they are different from the Tomoko version.

They aren't exactly happy. Sad in a different way.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Roflfox posted:

Also the solution to all the pausing if you can't BE A MAN, HOGAN enough to power through is to watch it with a friend.

Agreed. I had a friend over to watch some other anime, and together we powered threw this most recent episode. Something about cringing together at Tomoko's antics takes the edge off.

Though, it also helps that the card game section gained enough laughs by nailing the parody elements to offset the awkwardness of the whole scenario. Sliver Link keeps working miracles with this budget via those parody sections.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Aug 28, 2013

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Here's her cheaty card too.

Hell of a bomb.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

orenronen posted:

They aren't exactly happy. Sad in a different way.

How so?

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

I just love how she can break her voice whenever she want.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Her song is about obsessing over becoming cuter and keeping her boyfriend because she doesn't want to be alone while longing for the old days when she could just have fun with her friend without any worries.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

orenronen posted:

Her song is about obsessing over becoming cuter and keeping her boyfriend because she doesn't want to be alone while longing for the old days when she could just have fun with her friend without any worries.

Goddrat. :smith:

They hit and hit hard in every direction.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Most of the episodes, I've been cringing and been amused at the antics. Not this time. This is the first episode I've felt genuinely bad for the characters, just had this sinking feeling the entire time.

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
^^^ Yeah, same. Stooping so low to impress your younger cousin, only to have her go from worship to pity. It's just... :smith:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Mason Dixon posted:

Most of the episodes, I've been cringing and been amused at the antics. Not this time. This is the first episode I've felt genuinely bad for the characters, just had this sinking feeling the entire time.

It's quite a cascade of oppressive feelings. Even if don't feel bad for Tomoko (which is certainly a defensible position. Most of this stuff was her own fault after all) you just end up feeling bad for Kii instead :smith:

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Magic the Gathering and fingerless gloves. Tomoko would fit right in with Trad Games.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
This is why when you're trying to impress your younger siblings, you do it in ways that are hard to disprove. And don't get caught, of course.

But hey, Tomoko's popular with little kids.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Maybe she'll have a future dressing up as a mascot at an amusement park, or perhaps entertaining children at birthday parties and bar mitzvahs! And, if she works really hard at it, perhaps she can even become a tour guide on the Jungle Cruise Ride.

A girl can dream. :unsmith:

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"

MadRhetoric posted:

But hey, Tomoko's popular with little kids.

The fact that was she was popular with anyone sorta melted my heart a little. :unsmith:

poo poo, I'm cheering for this idiotic sociopath.

Edit: Also, looking back, this is the 'smith'iest thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
She's not a sociopath. Where did you get that idea?

She's just a comically selfish, childish, pitiful, immature, bitter, socially broken, petty, foolish, delusional, paranoid, obsessed shut-in.

• Locked thread