Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Noreaus posted:

There will be no UK military intervention in Syria as of yet - The house of commons has voted against the principle of military intervention, both the government's version of the motion and Labour's amended version.

285 votes against action, 272 votes for. Considering a second vote would have been needed even if this one passed that's a massive loss. Hard to see how the UK could get involved at all. What this means for the UK Cyrpus bases where most of the aircraft who would be / have been are based who knows.

edit: UK Prime Minister David Cameron tells MPs: "It's clear to me that the British parliament and the British people do not wish to see military action; I get that, and I will act accordingly."

ukle fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
So.... itll just be us and the Frenchies?

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

A nice parody article I wrote that I think you guys might enjoy

http://www.emperoroftheidiots.com/main/2013/08/29/why-we-should-not-intervene-in-the-galactic-empire-civil-war/

quote:

Why We Should Not Intervene in the Galactic Empire Civil War
The Galactic Empire under Emperor Palpatine may be bad, but the Rebel Alliance could be so much worse

By now we have all heard a familiar tune: “The Galactic Empire has used weapons of mass planetary destruction, this time to destroy the planet of Alderaan. Now the United Federation of Planets has to intervene and put a stop to the regime of Emperor Palpatine once and for all.” It’s a nice idea, but it ignores how complicated the situation is.

There is no hard evidence that The Galactic Empire has destroyed Alderaan or used weapons of mass planetary destruction. The “proof” that the Empire committed this atrocity which exists are the unreliable accounts of rebels that claim the Empire used a moon sized space station, they called a “Death Star”, to destroy Alderaan. Unfortunately, Federation inspectors can’t examine this “Death Star” because it was conveniently destroyed by the rebellion shortly after it destroyed Alderaan.

The Empire itself admits that it did have a moon sized space station in operation and was in the vicinity of Alderaan during its destruction. However, they claim this “Death Star” was really “Research Station 667″, a civilian based scientific expedition tasked with investigating black holes. According to the Imperials, the Research Station witnessed the rebels destroying Alderaan, and then they were chased down by these same rebels until the Research Station was destroyed in orbit of Yavin, killing over a million Imperial civilians.

We here at the Federation News Service understand that an asteroid field was found where Alderaan once was and we know the Imperials have produced weapons of mass planetary destruction, but it’s perfectly possible that a radical rebel faction captured some of these weapons from the Galactic Empire and decided to use them. Until we have a proper fact finding mission to determine what exactly happened at Alderaan, by Federation inspectors, we won’t know for sure.

Now we are under no delusion that the regime of Emperor Palpatine isn’t a reprehensible dictatorship that has repeatedly murdered its own citizens in cold blood. So it seems obvious that we should be supporting the Rebellion in this civil war even if Palpatine didn’t destroy Alderaan. In theory, the Federation doesn’t even need to intervene directly, it could just provide the rebels with weapons. It sounds so simple and easy, but there would be severe consequences for the Federation if it took that course.

Click link for rest of the article

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
That's pretty good.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

Saint Celestine posted:

Yep. But'll we'll have the goodwill of a few other Western countries, for what that's worth.

Pretty astonishing to see the UK's participation go down in flames. This has to badly damage Cameron, I would imagine.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Saint Celestine posted:

Nope, most of the presidential lead western countries seem to be wanting action. Biggest issue is that the only logical bases for any action are British (Cyprus), and if they don't use them will really limit the options available, or increase massively the cost and resources needed.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Young Freud posted:

Be glad that they changed those bomblets' color to high-visibility yellow for easy cleanup as well, because this is what they used to look like...

That's a Vietnam-era Dragontooth cluster mine, not a bomblet. Mines are like intentional UXO.

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Secret underground tunnels from downtown to a military base designed to hide tractor-trailers full of chemical weapons, secret mountain tunnel complexes... I'm definitely getting an Iraq vibe from this article.

Could someone please tell me all about Assad's mobile bioweapons labs too? I almost have bingo.

Brown Moses posted:

Someone was asking for videos mentioned in an article from 2012 about chemical weapons facilities? These are the videos I think
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN-yroR3Xs8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv5uJ8UTx5c

These are the most accurate descriptions of the bases I have ever seen, and they caused quite a ruckus when they were first released due to the highly sensitive nature of everything in them. The guy spends quite some time explaining that he's doing it because the people need to know, it is his patriotic duty, etc...

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

ukle posted:

Nope, most of the presidential lead western countries seem to be wanting action. Biggest issue is that the only logical bases for any action are British (Cyprus), and if they don't use them will really limit the options available, or increase massively the cost and resources needed.

Canada's out, I've seen that. France still wants in, though this might change their considerations. I've yet to see too many other countries that have pledged to offer any meaningful support.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

New Division posted:

Yep. But'll we'll have the goodwill of a few other Western countries, for what that's worth.

Pretty astonishing to see the UK's participation go down in flames. This has to badly damage Cameron, I would imagine.

I'll be honest, Obama looks like he doesn't want to do anything either. So I can't exactly blame the Brits. Although, it hurts that our best friend ditched us. Apparently they didn't forget the last time we bamboozled them and stole their girlfriend.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Not enough mentions about Wookies eating the hearts and livers of their enemies.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but seriously, out of all the countries that could actually provide support, its just us and the French that would be going into this? The UKs out, Germany was never going to do anything, and the Italians and Spanish couldn't do anything militarily even if they wanted, right?

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Saint Celestine posted:

Yeah, but seriously, out of all the countries that could actually provide support, its just us and the French that would be going into this? The UKs out, Germany was never going to do anything, and the Italians and Spanish couldn't do anything militarily even if they wanted, right?

p. much unfortunately. Even Turkey will likely only give token support

Young Freud posted:

Not enough mentions about Wookies eating the hearts and livers of their enemies.

How could I not have seen that?! I'll have to put that in a follow-up article.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Getting involved in the Syrian civil war is just a little less smart than inserting your dick in a blender.
As long as Al Qaeda sponsored groups are in the ranks of the rebels, any chance of international support fades away. What will happen to Christian and Muslim minorities if the rebels win? Assad kept the country together, like it or not.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Shadoer posted:

p. much unfortunately. Even Turkey will likely only give token support

God, everybody likes to talk a great game, but in the end they are so lame.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

Saint Celestine posted:

I doubt they would do much. The other countries I could think of that might be able to lend token assistance are Denmark and the other Nordic countries. But make no mistake, the sight of Britain pulling back is going to cause some ripples.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Saint Celestine posted:

It suppose that depends on in if the Danish are fully trained up on air launched cruise missiles. They appear to be in.

I have to say there it was really incredibly unpleasant hearing supposedly respectable politicians talk about how CW doesn't matter because dead is dead. What an absolutely vulgar position to call for the end of the chemical warfare conventions, because apparently they're relics of an outmoded belief that humans can be improved. Surely war is supposed to be hell and all our efforts to do anything about it should be just as rolled backed.

People do realize the entire point of the first chemical warfare convention was the acknowledgment that if one side used it the other would have to as well. Unless something stops we're going to be celebrating the 100ths anniversary of WW1 with full on chemical warfare in Syria. The readings of Dulce et decorum est shall be wonderful.

farraday fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 29, 2013

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

New Division posted:

I doubt they would do much. The other countries I could think of that might be able to lend token assistance are Denmark and the other Nordic countries. But make no mistake, the sight of Britain pulling back is going to cause some ripples.

Denmark and Norway said they're not getting involved. Christ I hope Bashar doesn't use this as an excuse to let Maher off the leash. Syria is going to be ground to dust before this is over.

EDIT: Was confusing Denmark's withdrawal of foreign aid to Egypt. Norway is out though

Aurubin fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 29, 2013

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

Cippalippus posted:

Getting involved in the Syrian civil war is just a little less smart than inserting your dick in a blender.
As long as Al Qaeda sponsored groups are in the ranks of the rebels, any chance of international support fades away. What will happen to Christian and Muslim minorities if the rebels win? Assad kept the country together, like it or not.

The country will never reunify under Assad. Never. He cannot do more than hold onto a rump ethnic enclave on the coast.

A Yugoslavia style carve up looks like it could be in the cards.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

New Division posted:

Canada's out, I've seen that. France still wants in, though this might change their considerations. I've yet to see too many other countries that have pledged to offer any meaningful support.

Canada's not presidential lead, it has a sensible system of government. France might be forced to change as the UK and France are becoming more and more one nation militarily, they will probably be heavily reliant on the US for the missing pieces without the UK.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

:nws:http://www.therevoltingsyrian.com/post/50495350134/does-this-not-outrage-you:nws:

Found the motherlode of all the videos of people being brutally tortured and killed in the Syrian conflict by regime forces. Happened upon it while I was going through some BM related twitter feeds. I believe that Brown Moses you are going through these to collect evidence of war crimes? Be careful clicking on this because there's like 40 videos on this website and wow, they are gruesome.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

The Danes might pull back if the Brits don't go. This could cause a chain reaction in Europe. It's not like there isn't tons of discontent with the idea of military interventions in other European countries contemplating involvement.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Sergg posted:

:nws:http://www.therevoltingsyrian.com/post/50495350134/does-this-not-outrage-you:nws:

Found the motherlode of all the videos of people being brutally tortured and killed in the Syrian conflict by regime forces. Happened upon it while I was going through some BM related twitter feeds. I believe that Brown Moses you are going through these to collect evidence of war crimes? Be careful clicking on this because there's like 40 videos on this website and wow, they are gruesome.

Various NGOs are all over this sort of stuff now, they've got a lot better at using social media to gather information on human rights violations and war crimes over the past few years. It's like the new thing to do in human rights circles.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

New Division posted:

The country will never reunify under Assad. Never. He cannot do more than hold onto a rump ethnic enclave on the coast.

Yes, that's why I used the past tense. It's not impossible but there can be no military victory here. Peace can only arrive through negotiations, and with the USA kindly loving off to their own continent. Their help wasn't asked or needed and isn't beneficial to anyone involved, themselves included.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
I'll say this much: regardless of how much money the US wastes on Team America, World Police, if and when the movie stops, Europe is going to have a very long and painful time trying to do its fair share.

Like, okay, I don't really see how bombing unrelated runways and bunkers for two days is gonna do anything to stop chemical warfare any more than the No voters. But a no vote from this Tory government is a vote for isolationism, not lack of proof. If even the Tories have come to this, we're talking about Europe being almost completely powerless to project force.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What does Germany think? It seems like the US would want their greenlight.

The US seems not to want this as a NATO mission - but hoping for a UN mandate. The UK still did condemn the attack, right? Even if it isn't committing forces. Hoping to avoid making this a NATO/Russia confrontation

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

Nice thread title change. :xd:

Germany will do what it always does. Give a lukewarm, waffling statement and ignore the situation. They certainly won't prevent the US from using its facilities over there but they're not going to do anything for us.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

New Division posted:

I'm not really sure how well Syria can support state-lets. If Assad gets his own coastal dictatorship, the Sunnis get left with the leeward side of the Anti-Lebanons and the Syrian Desert.

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 29, 2013

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

McDowell posted:

What does Germany think? It seems like the US would want their greenlight.

The US seems not to want this as a NATO mission - but hoping for a UN mandate. The UK still did condemn the attack, right? Even if it isn't committing forces. Hoping to avoid making this a NATO/Russia confrontation

Good loving luck getting a UN Mandate. Everyone can condemn all they want. Its looking more and more like the US acting by itself, with some French support no less. That doesn't bode well for Syria. Might as well not act, and just save the money. In the end, the results the same.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

Cippalippus posted:

Their help wasn't asked or needed and isn't beneficial to anyone involved, themselves included.

Actually a lot of Syrians have wanted a no fly zone or at least strikes on the military assets of the SNA for awhile now.

But since you only just started posting in this thread like 3 days ago I'm not surprised you're largely ignorant of what has actually happened over there. At least you can fill it up with your own beliefs. Same thing right.

Also fairly sure Assad's forces were the ones to break the "ceasefires" in the last two rounds of peace talks.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Saint Celestine posted:

Don't the Italians have two small carriers? They gotta be useful for something. Then again with the Italian government perpetually on the edge of collapse, they probably won't do anything.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Cippalippus posted:

Yes, that's why I used the past tense. It's not impossible but there can be no military victory here. Peace can only arrive through negotiations, and with the USA kindly loving off to their own continent. Their help wasn't asked or needed and isn't beneficial to anyone involved, themselves included.

-Who's going to negotiate with whom in Syria, especially after a confirmed gas attack?

-Make no mistake: the US is very likely spend a weekend doing not very much and duly gently caress off as requested. If Assad isn't crippled right then, what happens over the next year?

-Okay, this half-assed intervention might well be the wrong thing to do here. What's the right thing to do for First World outsiders? If the answer is to stay out regardless, does that square with everyone else on the planet happily giving arms to both sides indefinitely?

These aren't rhetorical questions. I'm just trying to figure out the threshold for intervention here.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

New Division posted:

Implausible. Any carving up of Syria would weaken the central authority of the remaining states and whichever one landed the Kurdish regions would either be Kurdish controlled or unable to prevent defacto independent government in the area. Either outcome would be completely unacceptable to Turkey in the current climate.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

New Division posted:

You know who profits from that?

Rand McNally. Imagine all the globes and maps that would need to be purchased. It's obvious this was a false flag attack by war-profiteering map makers. :tinfoil:

Cippalippus posted:

I agree; I haven't seen much of a convincing argument that the U.S. should get involved, and none of the options seem to have foreseeable positive implications. I understand why we might get involved, what with the Red Line stuff and various justifications for dissuading chemical weapons usage, but I'm not certain those are good reasons for trying to force ourselves into the situation beyond humanitarian aid issues that weren't already existent when Assad was just outright killing people with conventional weaponry.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Amused to Death posted:

Don't the Italians have two small carriers? They gotta be useful for something. Then again with the Italian government perpetually on the edge of collapse, they probably won't do anything.

Italy loves Assad, they don't oppose action, they legit support Assad's regime.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
What I want to know is will they also propose what the plan is after the "World" slaps Syria on the wrist. Do we bomb a few targets and call it a day? Do we ask that both sides nicely give up their WMDs? Do we blame someone? Do we instigate a proxy war?

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

AllanGordon posted:

Actually a lot of Syrians have wanted a no fly zone or at least strikes on the military assets of the SNA for awhile now.

But since you only just started posting in this thread like 3 days ago I'm not surprised you're largely ignorant of what has actually happened over there. At least you can fill it up with your own beliefs. Same thing right.

Also fairly sure Assad's forces were the ones to break the "ceasefires" in the last two rounds of peace talks.

drat, you got me. This is the only place in the Internet to discuss about Syria.

Assad used chemical weapons? Maybe.
Broke cease fire several time? Sure.
Now tell me with what kind of loving right do Americans think that they're better than this. Guantanamo, death penalty, torture, war crimes, international bullshit to start wars... Hey, allow me the benefit of doubt if I think that you aren't God's most precious warriors.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Cracker King posted:

Do we instigate a proxy war?

Cause that's not already happening...

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Sergg posted:

But remember guys, anything the West does will be worse than this! [/Ardennes]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cippalippus posted:

drat, you got me. This is the only place in the Internet to discuss about Syria.

Assad used chemical weapons? Maybe.
Broke cease fire several time? Sure.
Now tell me with what kind of loving right do Americans think that they're better than this. Guantanamo, death penalty, torture, war crimes, international bullshit to start wars... Hey, allow me the benefit of doubt if I think that you aren't God's most precious warriors.

Hey sorry dude choking painfully to death we got Gitmo so we don't have the ~ethical right~ to take actions here according to some keyboard revolutionaries.

• Locked thread