Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

Dalrain posted:

There's a job application I'm looking at where they ask if they can contact my current supervisor, and have Yes/No/Yes, After Offer. I'm inclined to say "Yes, after offer," but then I can't figure out why they would even do that. Any ideas? I guess if they heard bad things, they could rescind their offer since it's all at-will and leave you screwed, but is there another reason they would want that?

Some companies don't allow their management to be a reference or even verify employment. At my old job I walked into my bosses' cube and he was replying to some recruiter asking for a reference for some dude and he was telling them he couldn't. In general Big Corps usually don't allow their managers to be references, smaller and medium corps allow it, but if you're friends with a manager they don't mind.

If the company just wants employment verification ("He worked here from Jan 2012 to Jan 2013, yes") that's something they should go through HR for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
Thanks for the reply! That makes some degree of sense. I went with "No" today on all of them, since otherwise the first employer to extend an offer causes my supervisor to know I'm looking. Since I might change my mind for a variety of reasons, it makes sense to keep it quiet for the time being.

Thanks again.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I don't know what it is lately but there are a ton of people in my groups, alumni association and science jobs groups, that are horrible at posting. These are people with advanced degrees are born and raised in English speaking countries but, they lack basic English writing skills. To top it all off they spew opinions that are terrible enough to have originated from a lovely subreddit. I've called one of them on it and received a positive response from the community but, I'm not sure that should become something I do routinely. To put this in context a discussion was occurring about how honest you should be with results from your clinical trial and I called out a guy that said you can avoid compensating people for harm done during the experiment as long as you choose a population that is societally marginalized, like minorities/homosexuals. I would leave this group if it weren't for the presence of a bunch of recruiters I would like to connect with in hopes I can get in at a pharmaceutical company.

That's a whole lot more words than I intended but I guess is it a good idea to play politics in these little groups? That's basically in essence of whats going on there, get a strong enough respect from the community and stand a better chance of these recruiters giving you time of day?

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
So I'm starting to put together my profile. Thing is, I'm currently living in Colorado Springs, Colorado, and I want to move to Seattle for this job. Any tips on how to make that work?

I'm an English major with basically no professional experience writing or editing, but that's what I really want to do. Hell, that's sort of what I went to school for. Last four years I've been working in a factory building semiconductors, but I want out of that, and out of here, and Seattle seems like a great place to start.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Swags posted:

So I'm starting to put together my profile. Thing is, I'm currently living in Colorado Springs, Colorado, and I want to move to Seattle for this job. Any tips on how to make that work?

I'm an English major with basically no professional experience writing or editing, but that's what I really want to do. Hell, that's sort of what I went to school for. Last four years I've been working in a factory building semiconductors, but I want out of that, and out of here, and Seattle seems like a great place to start.

So you have a job in Seattle, or you're still looking to get one? In the former case, go ahead and switch your location to Seattle. You're going to move there at some point, presumably. Nothing wrong with that.

Just like gearing your resume towards a particular focus or set of qualifications, you can build your profile to tout specific qualifications of yours that enhance and highlight your suitability for a particular job set. In this case, editing. Minimize the experience that is irrelevant to your desired job or field, and flesh out the experience that is relevant. Make specific accomplishments that directly inform your qualifications for that desired job highly visible. Consider listing those specifics in the "Summary" field and putting that at the very top of your profile so that it's the first thing that visitors see and can best grab their attention.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Are there any services that will overhaul your LinkedIn page for you? I have just about everything else (Nearly 1000 connections, tons of group memberships, etc), but feel like the copy on my page needs quite a bit of work/SEO magic.

Forbidden Kiss
Apr 28, 2004

Cavalier Eternel

Comrade Flynn posted:

Are there any services that will overhaul your LinkedIn page for you? I have just about everything else (Nearly 1000 connections, tons of group memberships, etc), but feel like the copy on my page needs quite a bit of work/SEO magic.

If there are don't give them your money.

If you're a reasonably intelligent person you'll be able to do it yourself better than any of these clowns.

ProFootballGuy
Nov 6, 2012

by angerbot

Comrade Flynn posted:

Keywords, keywords, keywords. And don't ashamed to tout what you've done or been involved in. List everything, and include numeric values if possible.

As a sales engineer, I had a prospective customer refuse to buy unless we provided rock-solid ROI metrics for him. So we brought in our exec team to help quantify the ROI, huge spreadsheets and all, and the customer bought.

Not a month later did I see our customer's guy on LinkedIn touting the exact metrics we gave him, as him being a superhero and the savior of his company.

He wound up in a way more high-profile job a month after that, and we continued our sales relationship with a new, bigger company. Lessons.

ProFootballGuy fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 20, 2013

RTB
Sep 19, 2004

Comrade Flynn posted:

Forbidden Kiss posted:

If there are don't give them your money.

If you're a reasonably intelligent person you'll be able to do it yourself better than any of these clowns.

LinkedIn profiles are similar to resumes -- Any intelligent person can find out how to write a great resume/profile. There are tons of free guides all over the web. But not everyone has the time or desire to learn. Some people would rather pay a few bucks and not have to deal with it.

That said, you sound like you've already done most of the hard work and just need to polish it up a bit. Look at others with similar jobs and see what keywords they're using. Then find a way to work them into your profile.

PM me if you'd like a second set of eyes on your profile.

Syndic
Jul 5, 2012
What is the etiquette on contacting staffing managers/recruiters from firms that you have applied to or intend to apply to? In my case, I have applied for a job posting on LinkedIn with a particular firm and I'm keen to try to find ways to get myself noticed or differentiate myself.

I've identified the staffing manager for the firm's local offices and was considering sending them an InMail message expressing my interest and desire to learn more about the specifics of the role and life at the firm.

Is this poor form? Would it be seen as an unsolicited attempt to set up an informal interview during the selection process, or, would it be seen as a sign of genuine interest?

Thoughts please!

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Syndic posted:

What is the etiquette on contacting staffing managers/recruiters from firms that you have applied to or intend to apply to? In my case, I have applied for a job posting on LinkedIn with a particular firm and I'm keen to try to find ways to get myself noticed or differentiate myself.

I've identified the staffing manager for the firm's local offices and was considering sending them an InMail message expressing my interest and desire to learn more about the specifics of the role and life at the firm.

Is this poor form? Would it be seen as an unsolicited attempt to set up an informal interview during the selection process, or, would it be seen as a sign of genuine interest?

Thoughts please!

No. In fact, that's more or less what I'd personally recommend you do. :)

Syndic
Jul 5, 2012

HiroProtagonist posted:

No. In fact, that's more or less what I'd personally recommend you do. :)

Thanks!

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS
It seems like they've changed how the "People you may know" page works, so it doesn't provide endless scrolling. It used to be that when you got to the bottom of the page, it would load more, but now it's just a single page with no option to view more. Maybe I'm missing something?

RTB
Sep 19, 2004

ObsidianBeast posted:

It seems like they've changed how the "People you may know" page works, so it doesn't provide endless scrolling. It used to be that when you got to the bottom of the page, it would load more, but now it's just a single page with no option to view more. Maybe I'm missing something?

For me it still loads more people as I scroll.
That was in Firefox. Maybe try a different browser?

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

RTB posted:

For me it still loads more people as I scroll.
That was in Firefox. Maybe try a different browser?

Thanks, I was using Chromium on Ubuntu when I was having the problem, just tried in Firefox and now it's working.

Sivlan
Aug 29, 2006
How common is it for people to look up potential employers on Linked-In? I haven't really done much with mine other than list previous jobs and education, but I just had a candidate I interviewed ask me all about my previous jobs and what they were like. I asked how he even knew about it and he said he looked me up on linked in. I found that super creepy but is that a normal thing for job seekers to do now?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I would not have brought it up in the interview like that if I were him; I'd have just asked what your background was. But when I was looking for a job, I absolutely looked up the backgrounds of the people interviewing me and I don't think it's that uncommon. He just sort of lacked tact.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Sivlan posted:

How common is it for people to look up potential employers on Linked-In? I haven't really done much with mine other than list previous jobs and education, but I just had a candidate I interviewed ask me all about my previous jobs and what they were like. I asked how he even knew about it and he said he looked me up on linked in. I found that super creepy but is that a normal thing for job seekers to do now?

I've done it as an interviewee, and I would be super interested in a way to admit to it without sounding like a total creeper. Seriously, you want a candidate who researches the company, what's wrong with a five minute google search on the person who's interviewing you?

kansas
Dec 3, 2012

Xandu posted:

I would not have brought it up in the interview like that if I were him; I'd have just asked what your background was. But when I was looking for a job, I absolutely looked up the backgrounds of the people interviewing me and I don't think it's that uncommon. He just sort of lacked tact.

100% agree, I've done this and found out an interviewer worked with my manager 10 years prior on a different continent. I didn't ask him details about all of his work history, but did mention the connection. I don't think I was super creepy about it and he didn't act like it, plus I got the job so it couldn't have been too bad. Agree with Xandu that it is 100% in how you bring it up.

RTB
Sep 19, 2004

kansas posted:

100% agree, I've done this and found out an interviewer worked with my manager 10 years prior on a different continent. I didn't ask him details about all of his work history, but did mention the connection. I don't think I was super creepy about it and he didn't act like it, plus I got the job so it couldn't have been too bad. Agree with Xandu that it is 100% in how you bring it up.

I completely agree that this comes down to how you bring it up.

I've looked at the interviewer's LinkedIn page before and I think it helped me land the job. I noticed he went to college in my home town, so I casually mentioned that I took a look at his LinkedIn profile and asked him how he liked living there. We ended up talking about that for almost 10 minutes. Sometimes landing a job comes down to how relatable you are, and having something in common with the interviewer helped.

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

RTB posted:

I completely agree that this comes down to how you bring it up.

I've looked at the interviewer's LinkedIn page before and I think it helped me land the job. I noticed he went to college in my home town, so I casually mentioned that I took a look at his LinkedIn profile and asked him how he liked living there. We ended up talking about that for almost 10 minutes.

I did the same thing to the same effect. When I was leaving the government, I interviewed with someone who had worked for a different part of the government. I said in the interview something to the effect of, "I like to prepare well for important meetings, and I took the time to look at your LinkedIn profile. I saw that you worked for [agency/department] before moving to the private sector. I'm sure you can appreciate that I want to move to a position that is more challenging and where growth is based on my effort and initiative." The person I was talking to seemed pretty excited about the common connection and the partner that was in the interview was impressed that I took the effort to look at their LinkedIn profiles.

You have to be careful not to be creepy, but the easiest way to do that, I found, is to just say it was part of your interview preparation. I've used similar phrasing when I was meeting people for information meetings and I've never had a problem. People have their LinkedIn profiles out there for you to look at.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
So I am coming up on graduation with a BE Mech Eng in December, think I should start messaging all the recruiters I've added over the years on LinkedIn or is that hella annoying/pointlessly time consuming?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Why not? It's just a conversation. Either now is a good time, or they'll say to get back in touch closer to your graduation date. The worst case scenario is you're advancing a relationship with a contact.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
You're right. Sent out a message to 20 recruiters or HR people that are on my contacts list. Ill probably comb through my groups and see if I cant add a dozen more or so.

EDIT: Got two replies! At least one of them read no less than the first sentence of my email which is impressive considering the literacy rate amongst recruiters seems to be ~5%.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 29, 2013

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

jeeves posted:

Linkedin is not Facebook, and the people who use it are not your friends--when in doubt, send connection requests.

Really quickly, what is the reasoning for this again? It seems unlikely that I would ask a stranger for an in at his company, or ask a random person for an introduction to someone else.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

salted hash browns posted:

Really quickly, what is the reasoning for this again? It seems unlikely that I would ask a stranger for an in at his company, or ask a random person for an introduction to someone else.

I added about 75 technical recruiters whom I don't know tonight. (Enough that linkedIn made me fill out Captchas) Its their job to find talent, and I am talented so I figured why not?

RTB
Sep 19, 2004

When a recruiter searches LinkedIn they see their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd level connections at the top of the list.
If you're connected to a recruiter, odds are they will find you when searching for talent.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

RTB posted:

When a recruiter searches LinkedIn they see their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd level connections at the top of the list.
If you're connected to a recruiter, odds are they will find you when searching for talent.

Also true of groups. 3rd doesn't really help you but 2nd and group connections mean they can add you and message you with very little effort.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Actually, striking up a conversation with a random stranger is EXACTLY how you get an in with a company.

"Oh, you like puppies? I like puppies too. I bet your company could benefit from more like-minded people like yourself, huh? We could raise the puppability index by 23%!"

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
How do you actually recognize a recruiter by profile? I need recruiters in the creative sector, such as design, illustration, copy writing, media. I've joined many specialized groups, but thus far, Stairmasters has been the most useful group I am a member of. Most groups are full of spam posts, or posts by people who shouldn't call themselves professionals.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Rad R. posted:

How do you actually recognize a recruiter by profile? I need recruiters in the creative sector, such as design, illustration, copy writing, media. I've joined many specialized groups, but thus far, Stairmasters has been the most useful group I am a member of. Most groups are full of spam posts, or posts by people who shouldn't call themselves professionals.

Step 1) Join a gently caress ton of a groups related to your field. Dont bother reaiding or looking at them again, theyre just to rank in search.
Step 2) I did the following searches:
Recruiter narrowed to [My area],[My State]
Technical Recruiter narrowed to [My area],[My State]
Recruiter narrowed to [My University Alumni] (because you can add all of them as connections)
Engineering Recruiter not narrowed to anything.
Step 3) Add people til it makes you fill in captchas.
Step 4) When they add you, contact them about placement.
Step 5) Profit

I did this late last night and have spoken to one this morning on the phone with about 4 reply emails.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

I don't necessarily add a whole ton of complete strangers, but anybody you've ever worked with in any capacity (customer, coworker, etc), anybody that you've met even briefly, anyone you went to school with, or were in clubs with, know from online communities, or even distant family members should be automatic contacts. Beyond that, you should also add recruiters in your field even if you've never met them, and then it's up to you if you want to do complete strangers. As was already mentioned, the point of this is to make your connection pool bigger so you show up in search results, not to make a list of friends (hence the "this isn't Facebook").

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Had two phone calls from recruiters now and several returned emails. Considering it only took me a couple hours, I am getting way more possible things than I would applying to crap online.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

I sort of posted this elsewhere but thought it would be good here too.

DO look at the hiring manager's profile without fear. I like to see that my upcoming interviewees are curious and motivated.

DON'T request a connection with a hiring manager before the interview has even taken place. They aren't recruiters and their job isn't to sit around playing with linked in all day. It could just be me and my colleagues but we think that's weird. (and it does indeed happen...)

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

CarForumPoster posted:

I did this late last night and have spoken to one this morning on the phone with about 4 reply emails.

Thank you. The mistake I was making was being to picky about which groups to join, and then I actively followed the groups I did join. I'm taking your advice now.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

A lot of times it's not about "ins". Believe it or not, employers want to hire people, and it's hard to find people to hire. If some random person messages me on LinkedIn and they look like a potential fit, I'm not going to think twice about accepting them. Even if they don't, I'm not going to turn them down, because they are going to bring a bunch of connections with them that are now going to appear in my search results.

There's no downside for either of us. Now, I'm not going to go out of my way to find him a job, or spend more than about 12 seconds looking at their profile, but there's no point in not hitting accept (unless I'm near the contact limit, which I think is comically high).

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Where the gently caress did my linkedin profile content disappear to? All of my job history, etc. has just vanished and it's saying i'm 'just beginning' on my profile completeness. What the gently caress?

I can't give an idea as to when this happened. It's just loving vanished.

fake edit: It's visible in the iOS app, but the webpage is just blank? see: http://i.imgur.com/zwFhg0V.png

e: Tried both Firefox and Chrome, the latter of which I wasn't even logged in on at the time so nothing weird there.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Sep 3, 2013

KERNOD WEL
Oct 10, 2012
My profile has the same problem, and all the connections that I view have the same stripped down profile. Hope this isn't another hack.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Yeh, actually. Poking around my connections are the same. Connections, Groups and Following appear, but nothing else. I suspect they fat-fingered the desktop view style, since the mobile app view style still displays the content fine.

Apologies for the language earlier. I wasn't looking forwards to rewriting it all again after spending hours doing it the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
I am also having the same problem. If I click to edit my profile, the page just loads and doesn't stop loading. Any info on this issue?

• Locked thread