Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
V. S. Ramachandran discussed Capgras delusion in his books and TV series. The TV series includes an interview with one person who developed Capgras delusion after a car accident, and with his imposters parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Say. What about transmissible/infectious cancer?

Wikipedia posted:

Devil facial tumour disease (DFTD) is an aggressive non-viral transmissible parasitic cancer—which likely originated in Schwann cells—that affects Tasmanian devils.[1][2][3][4] The first "official case" was described in 1996, in Australia. In the subsequent decade the disease ravaged Tasmania's wild devils, with estimates of decline ranging from 20% to as much as a 50% of the devil population, across over 65% of the state.[5][6] Affected high-density populations suffer up to 100% mortality in 12–18 months.[7] The disease has mainly been concentrated in Tasmania's eastern half. Visible signs of DFTD begin with lesions and lumps around the mouth. These develop into cancerous tumours that may spread from the face to the entire body. Once lesions appear devils usually die within six months owing to organ failure, secondary infection, or metabolic starvation.[8] The tumours interfere with feeding, and the affected animal may starve to death. At present the population has dwindled 70% since 1996. Numbers as of 2010 show an 80% rate of infection throughout the population. It is spread by devils biting each other's heads when fighting over food.

Admittedly it only affects Tasmanian Devils (though there are some examples of similar diseases in other species).

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Say. What about transmissible/infectious cancer?

Admittedly it only affects Tasmanian Devils (though there are some examples of similar diseases in other species).

Isn't "transmissible/infectious cancer" sorta what HPV is in humans? Admittedly it only leads to cancer in a minority of cases but still.

EDIT VV Yeah sorry I should have included wikipedia stuff :ughh: VV

Shame Boy has a new favorite as of 03:20 on Aug 31, 2013

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Isn't "transmissible/infectious cancer" sorta what HPV is in humans? Admittedly it only leads to cancer in a minority of cases but still.

Wikipedia

Human papillomavirus posted:

While the majority of the known types of HPV cause no symptoms in most people, some types can cause warts (verrucae), while others can—in a minority of cases—lead to cancers of the cervix, vulva, vagina, penis, oropharynx and anus.[1] Recently, HPV has been linked with an increased risk of cardiovascular disease.[2] In addition, HPV 16 and 18 infections are strongly associated with an increased odds ratio of developing oropharyngeal (throat) cancer.[3]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_papillomavirus

Cervical cancer posted:

Human papillomavirus (HPV) infection appears to be a necessary factor in the development of almost all cases (90+%) of cervical cancer.

HPV vaccines effective against the two strains of this large family of viruses that currently cause approximately 70% of cases of cervical cancer have been licensed in the U.S, Canada, Australia, and the EU.[4][5] Since the vaccines only cover some of the cancer-causing ("high-risk") types of HPV, women should seek regular Pap smear screening, even after vaccination.[6]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cervical_cancer

CDC

HPV Statistics posted:

A study that covered 100% of the U.S. population during 2004–2008 estimated that about 33,300 HPV-associated cancers occur each year. About 21,300 HPV-associated cancers occur each year among females, and about 12,100 occur each year among males. Cervical cancer is the most common HPV-associated cancer among women, and oropharyngeal cancers are the most common among men.

In general, HPV is thought to be responsible for more than 90% of anal and cervical cancers and more than 50% of vaginal, vulvar, and penile cancers. Cancers of the head and neck are mostly caused by tobacco and alcohol, but recent studies show that about 60%–70% of cancers of the oropharynx may be linked to HPV. Many of these may be caused by a combination of tobacco, alcohol, and HPV.
http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/hpv/statistics/

Cancers Associated with Human Papillomavirus (HPV)
http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/hpv/basic_info/cancers.htm

Rapman the Cook has a new favorite as of 03:53 on Aug 31, 2013

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

EDIT VV Yeah sorry I should have included wikipedia stuff :ughh: VV

Not quite. It is the actual tumor that is infectious. It is not caused by a virus. The cancer cells themselves are infectious, and more or less graft themselves onto a new host, rather than being from the host's own cells. If you look at, say, 5 individuals suffering from it, their tumours would all have the same/similar genes.

Wikipedia posted:

The theory that cancer cells themselves could be an infective agent (the Allograft Theory[15]) was first supported by the researchers A-M. Pearse, K. Swift, and colleagues. In 2006, Pearse and Swift analyzed DFTD cells from several devils in different locations, and determined that all of the DFTD cells were not only genetically identical to each other, but also genetically distinct from their hosts, and from all known Tasmanian devils. Thus, the cancer must have originated in a single female individual and spread, rather than arising separately within each individual.

It's literally someone you had never met's tumor growing on your face.

Tiberius Thyben has a new favorite as of 04:23 on Aug 31, 2013

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Not quite. It is the actual tumor that is infectious. It is not caused by a virus. The cancer cells themselves are infectious, and more or less graft themselves onto a new host, rather than being from the host's own cells. If you look at, say, 5 individuals suffering from it, their tumours would all have the same/similar genes.

It's literally someone you had never met's tumor growing on your face.

There's a theory (I don't remember what it's called) that this is why many species (like humans) have things like blood types and organ rejections. It was a way of preventing the spread of transmissible cancers. Tasmanian devils have extremely low genetic diversity for a species as wide spread as it is, leading to the probability that they all came from one small population fairly recently in history, and that this is why they are susceptible to cancer transmission.

nuts_rice
Sep 6, 2010

Ohhh Yog Soggoth, be my teenage dream boat ;)
Hey guys. This is part of the wikimedia project
Press all the play buttons.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Oniichan_CD
Enjoy sleeping tonight/watching cute slice of life anime.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

nuts_rice posted:

Hey guys. This is part of the wikimedia project
Press all the play buttons.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Oniichan_CD
Enjoy sleeping tonight/watching cute slice of life anime.

For extra creepy, click play on every single one of them at the same time. It's like a flock of birds expressing mild annoyance.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh hey, so that's where the audio for this thing is from:

:nms: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOQkBEnw0Ag :nms:

EDIT to be more descriptive since it's a youtube link: Spiders.

Shame Boy has a new favorite as of 00:11 on Sep 7, 2013

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Oh hey, so that's where the audio for this thing is from:

:nms: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOQkBEnw0Ag :nms:

Jesus christ the universe is actually as terrifying as Lovecraft said it was. NMS doesn't quite say it with this one.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Don't know what I was expecting there - swap? Goatse? Beastiality? But a couple of baby spiders? It was a pleasant relief, i might click on NMS links more often.

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012

kolby posted:

I thought the case studies included in that wiki article were really interesting. Does anyone know a good site that goes into different types of psychosis on a case by case basis?

Like, "Patient X came in complaining of..." type stuff.

If books are an acceptable recommendation then check out The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Basebf555 posted:

Jesus christ the universe is actually as terrifying as Lovecraft said it was. NMS doesn't quite say it with this one.

I'm not trying to be an internet hardass or anything, but this is actually kind of pretty. Like living fractals.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Individual involvement in the Chernobyl disaster :nms:

Some scary, all unnerving, many heartbreaking.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
If you're interested in Chernobyl, pick up a copy of Zhores Medvedev's "The Legacy of Chernobyl." It's an excellent writeup that goes in depth into not only what happened, but why, right down to the second. The level of institutional incompetence that lead up to a completely foreseeable and preventable disaster is mind boggling.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I recall an incident after the American Civil War where a barge tipped over and the soldiers inside died from steam burns, or drowning;

I can't recall the ship's name however.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

The SS Sultana by the sound of it.

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011
On the only day the workers get off and this happens:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Eastland

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome

It's a type of auditory hallucination, but the title is the "scary or unnerving" part.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

MadMattH posted:

On the only day the workers get off and this happens:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Eastland

Somewhat similar, though this one was a chartered cruise for a Lutheran church. Terrible safety practices and maintenance of equipment, along with a lot of folks just not knowing how to swim (or not being able to due to heavy clothing), led to more than a thousand deaths.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS_General_Slocum

Pretty lovely end to a little excursion.

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008

Three-Phase posted:

Individual involvement in the Chernobyl disaster :nms:

Some scary, all unnerving, many heartbreaking.

The most heartbreaking to me is the sacrifice made by 2 engineers and a soldier named Alexei Ananenko, Valeri Bezpalov and Boris Baranov who dived into severely radiated water under the plant to open a grate and drain the water that had been pumped in to try to control the initial fire. If these 3 weren't successful, a more severe explosion would have likely occurred. According to this documentary it would have been around 3 to 5 megatons, and according to this docu-drama, would have levelled 200 square kilometres, destroyed most of Kiev, irradiated the rivers which supplied 30 million Soviet people with water, and would have left Northern Ukraine and Belarussia uninhabitable. I can't even imagine how the Soviet Union would have reacted to such a loss and what they would have resorted to, especially since it was at the height of the Cold War. It would make an interesting alternative history 'what-if?' scenario.

By the way, that docu-drama is very good, and stars Adrian Edmondson who is probably better know to most of us as Eddie Hitler from Bottom or Viv from The Young Ones.

Incidentally Three-Phase, are your name, signature, avatar picture and interest in Chernobyl all related?

Hoopy Frood has a new favorite as of 14:18 on Sep 10, 2013

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Brother Jonathan posted:

It's a type of auditory hallucination, but the title is the "scary or unnerving" part.

I love stuff like this, as well as hypnic jerks (where you're almost asleep and suddenly you feel like you have been yanked by the collar, or suddenly falling forward, and related feelings) because it's interesting how the brain can be such a gigantic dick when you're sleepy and want rest. t:mad:

Another example of the brain just being a gigantic dick:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depersonalization_disorder

It's different from depression, but somewhat similar to a severe case of it; when in a depressed state one can feel as if their brain is fogged up, less concentration, becomes much less active, performs everyday life by 'going through the motions' and so on.

As I understand it, a person with depersonalization disorder essentially feels like they are not in control of their body or mind at all and are simply observing, as well as not feeling as if the world around them is real at all. I'd wager like watching a film from the first person, but that film is real life and you're stuck like that.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I've had depersonalisation episodes as a side effect of SSRI medication when in a major depressive episode. It is the most extremely unpleasant experience I've ever had (more or less). I continually felt like I was following my body around, almost in a third person perspective (including telling people I could see the back of my head) - there's a really nasty interplay with peripheral vision as well, meaning that I felt like I could see more than should be at all possible from a normal first person view. At its worst I became convinced that it was actually the normal way to view the world - a horrible feud ex machina feeling that I was totally and completely trapped in.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lenoon posted:

I've had depersonalisation episodes as a side effect of SSRI medication when in a major depressive episode. It is the most extremely unpleasant experience I've ever had (more or less). I continually felt like I was following my body around, almost in a third person perspective (including telling people I could see the back of my head) - there's a really nasty interplay with peripheral vision as well, meaning that I felt like I could see more than should be at all possible from a normal first person view. At its worst I became convinced that it was actually the normal way to view the world - a horrible feud ex machina feeling that I was totally and completely trapped in.

Oh hey, I had the same thing, except SSRI's actually got rid of it for me instead of causing it :smith::hf::smith:

Didn't experience it again until years later when I got to college and decided to be an idiot and try every drug I could - ketamine does basically the same thing, and it is not very fun.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Hoopy Frood posted:

The most heartbreaking to me is the sacrifice made by 2 engineers and a soldier named Alexei Ananenko, Valeri Bezpalov and Boris Baranov who dived into severely radiated water under the plant to open a grate and drain the water that had been pumped in to try to control the initial fire. If these 3 weren't successful, a more severe explosion would have likely occurred. According to this documentary it would have been around 3 to 5 megatons, and according to this docu-drama, would have levelled 200 square kilometres, destroyed most of Kiev, irradiated the rivers which supplied 30 million Soviet people with water, and would have left Northern Ukraine and Belarussia uninhabitable. I can't even imagine how the Soviet Union would have reacted to such a loss and what they would have resorted to, especially since it was at the height of the Cold War. It would make an interesting alternative history 'what-if?' scenario.

I think this article...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threat_of_the_Dnieper_reservoirs

...has been edited, because I remember reading it a while ago and it went into way more detail about the radioactive threat. Something to do with radioactive dust having sunk to the bottom of the reservoirs, so it's safe for now, but if the dams collapsed then it would all wash downstream and get stirred up again.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

freebooter posted:

I think this article...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threat_of_the_Dnieper_reservoirs

...has been edited, because I remember reading it a while ago and it went into way more detail about the radioactive threat. Something to do with radioactive dust having sunk to the bottom of the reservoirs, so it's safe for now, but if the dams collapsed then it would all wash downstream and get stirred up again.

Wikipedia posted:

While the safety studies of each dam are regularly performed and the public assurances about individual dam's condition were given multiple times,

It just ends right there. If someone's scrubbing bad news from wikipedia they're doing a really lovely job.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Hoopy Frood posted:

By the way, that docu-drama is very good, and stars Adrian Edmondson who is probably better know to most of us as Eddie Hitler from Bottom or Viv from The Young Ones.

Incidentally Three-Phase, are your name, signature, avatar picture and interest in Chernobyl all related?

While the steam explosion risk was a huge deal, and these men saved lives by giving their own, I'm inclined to believe that the scale of destruction is being overestimated here, or at least chosen as the high-end estimate...

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Slanderer posted:

While the steam explosion risk was a huge deal, and these men saved lives by giving their own, I'm inclined to believe that the scale of destruction is being overestimated here, or at least chosen as the high-end estimate...

The thing we always underestimate is the ability of the soviet union to take any small disaster and turn it into a monumental cock-up. I'd be willing to bet that had the valves not been opened by the divers, the belief that an explosion would take place would have prevented many of the further efforts at amelioration.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Slanderer posted:

Yeah I'm not entirely sure how you could get a megaton-range explosion out of a China Syndrome-esque event. Sure it would flash the water to steam and that would throw radionuclides into the upper atmosphere and it would be very bad but I really don't know how it could set off a thermonuclear detonation on the scale of an actual nuclear fusion weapon.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I dig on obscure and ominous processes that sound like they could be the title of a Frederick Forsythe novel. See also: Kessler syndrome, or ablation cascade. If it happened it would mean we don't get to go to space again for a thousand years.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Suzuki Method posted:

I love stuff like this, as well as hypnic jerks (where you're almost asleep and suddenly you feel like you have been yanked by the collar, or suddenly falling forward, and related feelings) because it's interesting how the brain can be such a gigantic dick when you're sleepy and want rest. t:mad:

Another example of the brain just being a gigantic dick:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depersonalization_disorder

It's different from depression, but somewhat similar to a severe case of it; when in a depressed state one can feel as if their brain is fogged up, less concentration, becomes much less active, performs everyday life by 'going through the motions' and so on.

As I understand it, a person with depersonalization disorder essentially feels like they are not in control of their body or mind at all and are simply observing, as well as not feeling as if the world around them is real at all. I'd wager like watching a film from the first person, but that film is real life and you're stuck like that.

Closely related to depersonalization is derealization, where you feel like the world isn't real.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derealization

xtal has a new favorite as of 13:15 on Sep 12, 2013

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

Brother Jonathan posted:

I think I may have had this happen. It wasn't an explosion, but a few years ago I stood up from my desk at work and suddenly it felt like some sort of wave hit me, except instead of actual motion it was like someone had turned on a man singing opera music for about five to ten seconds just inside of my head. I had a panic attack right after that.

I've never found any other explanation by googling "opera inside my head" and my neurologist had no idea what I was talking about when I asked her.

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

xtal posted:

Closely related to depersonalization is derealization, where you feel like the world isn't real.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derealization

I've had it with varying degrees of severity for about a year. No doctor has ever heard of it and it might never go away, but at this point I don't remember what normal feels like so who cares! It's very similar to what you describe in the last paragraph - I think that description may better fit derealization than depersonalization.

I'm pretty sure doctors have heard of it.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

sithwitch13 posted:

I think I may have had this happen. It wasn't an explosion, but a few years ago I stood up from my desk at work and suddenly it felt like some sort of wave hit me, except instead of actual motion it was like someone had turned on a man singing opera music for about five to ten seconds just inside of my head. I had a panic attack right after that.

I've never found any other explanation by googling "opera inside my head" and my neurologist had no idea what I was talking about when I asked her.

I had an episode a few years back that I always thought may have been a case of exploding head syndrome. It was late at night, and I was half-asleep in my bed. In an instant, all my sense had been tuned to static - I could only see fields of rapidly changing color, like television static only brightly saturated and there was an insane screeching on the inside of my head. I could barely focus enough on waking myself up to make it go away, but it would return as soon as I lay my head back on the pillow. After a minute or so, it stopped.

I never brought this up with anyone and it only happened once, but I still wonder exactly what the hell it was to this day.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

MadMattH posted:

I'm pretty sure doctors have heard of it.

Don't be pedantic!

xtal has a new favorite as of 01:57 on Sep 17, 2013

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013
Genocide. In Britain. Over 100,000 dead. William the Conqueror, you Norman oval office.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrying_of_the_North

Zentrenched
Jun 7, 2005

It's all noise to me.
As a Geordie history nerd, it constantly fucks me off that no-one has ever heard of the Harrying, it's not even taught in schools.

William was indeed a oval office.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Ezzer posted:

I had an episode a few years back that I always thought may have been a case of exploding head syndrome. It was late at night, and I was half-asleep in my bed. In an instant, all my sense had been tuned to static - I could only see fields of rapidly changing color, like television static only brightly saturated and there was an insane screeching on the inside of my head. I could barely focus enough on waking myself up to make it go away, but it would return as soon as I lay my head back on the pillow. After a minute or so, it stopped.

I never brought this up with anyone and it only happened once, but I still wonder exactly what the hell it was to this day.

Sounds like the migraines I sometimes get.

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013

Zentrenched posted:

As a Geordie history nerd, it constantly fucks me off that no-one has ever heard of the Harrying, it's not even taught in schools.

William was indeed a oval office.

I've lived in the north my entire life, most of my family are Lancastrian, and I first learned of the Harrying aged 35!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zentrenched
Jun 7, 2005

It's all noise to me.
You think it would be more common knowledge given that it's an excuse to bitch about the French, which is pretty much a national past time for the English (except when they are nipping across the channel for cheap booze of course).

It's pretty nasty stuff, even for medieval history.

"From the Humber to the Tees, William's men burnt whole villages and slaughtered the inhabitants. Food stores and livestock were destroyed so that anyone surviving the initial massacre would succumb to starvation over the winter. The land was salted to destroy its productivity for decades to come. The survivors were reduced to cannibalism."

• Locked thread