Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

I'll start recording some footage of the Wiki Levels for Kid Chameleon soon. Luckily, my hiatus was beneficial for this footage, as they seem to have been actively working on their levels in the past few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt. J. Linebeck
Dec 28, 2012

Sorry this took so long!

:siren: Worlds A-D (Finale) :siren:

With special guests Iron Chitlin & Admiral H. Curtiss.

In this update we finish up the game with some of the hardest levels ever in 2D Mario platforming.

Capt. J. Linebeck fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 24, 2013

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Capt. J. Linebeck posted:

:siren: Worlds A-D (Finale) :siren:

:magical:

That was absolutely insane playing, Linebeck. I ended up rewinding a lot just because I couldn't believe what crazy poo poo I just saw.

Magnificent work. :golfclap:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If you frame-advance you can actually see the exact spot where Linebeck sells his soul to the Devil.

Incredible moves, man.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Good playing.

Though the thing that gets me the most with this game is how much of the difficulty was based solely around the physics being...well, Mario 1 physics, which just are not perfect. The game is going "haha single block jumps gently caress your poo poo"; but single block jumps should never be problem on their own. I'm not even talking about Mega Man, where every platforming event is meaningless without enemies because you've got perfect air control, even Super Meat Boy will mostly just have you go at full speed or have the physics work so that the tight jumps are doable without losing flow so that the level works. SMB2 LL looks like it tries to be loving you because you know how the controls work, as an experienced turbo-autist SMB1 player, and if you try to make sense of it as a normal guy, it will gently caress you twice over: once for now knowing the physics by heart, twice for thinking you know what the game can do with them.

NOT GOOD GAME DESIGN is what I'm getting at...twice over.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Chip Cheezum posted:

I've two more videos for Incredible Crisis, which includes a math minigame that I am bad at.

#4: Etsuko, Chapter 1
#5: Etsuko, Chapter 2 & 3

That fighter jet in the tunnel minigame just brings back bad F-Zero GX memories to me.

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.

MR. J posted:

That fighter jet in the tunnel minigame just brings back bad F-Zero GX memories to me.

Oh god I hated doing that, somebody should actually play GX on it's hardest mode because I remember that game being hard.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

evilspacehopper posted:

Oh god I hated doing that, somebody should actually play GX on it's hardest mode because I remember that game being hard.

The F-Zero megathread LP did chapter 7 on Very Hard, which is all you need really.

VigilantePrime
Sep 18, 2008
Actually this rant is all you need.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

evilspacehopper posted:

I did my time on that ages ago. When one of the hardest parts is the very first level on Hardest, you know there's gonna be fun times ahead. :suicide:

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

If I had to guess, I'd assume the reason Linebeck didn't hit that Koopa Trooper when he sprung up is because he was moving too fast for it to hit. I didn't look at it carefully or more than once, but it looked like on one frame, he was below the Koopa and on the next he was above the Koopa; and I'm assuming the game never bothered with Lerp (because why would you most of the time) so it never registers the hit.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

frozentreasure posted:

If I had to guess, I'd assume the reason Linebeck didn't hit that Koopa Trooper when he sprung up is because he was moving too fast for it to hit. I didn't look at it carefully or more than once, but it looked like on one frame, he was below the Koopa and on the next he was above the Koopa; and I'm assuming the game never bothered with Lerp (because why would you most of the time) so it never registers the hit.

The game's hit detection is rather primitive in general - if you've seen the videos of Playfun, the program that learns to play NES games, one of the tricks it takes advantage of is the way the hit detection in the original Super Mario Bros. works. There's a demonstration about ten minutes into this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOCurBYI_gY and an explanation with slow-motion video about a minute later.

Nidoking fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Aug 25, 2013

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!

Deargodalion posted:

I am loving these! it blow my mind how in depth the game is, and how Alive(?) the scene is for a 20 year old game you apparently can't emulate.

Actually, you can emulate it quite well...

Also, I'm quite looking forward to when you get to the World Circuit. Some real toughies there.

Deargodalion
Jun 27, 2011

Something clever.
Lipstick Apathy

Tr33 posted:

Also, I'm quite looking forward to when you get to the World Circuit. Some real toughies there.

I thought he said that there was some issue with emulating it because it emulated at 60.1fps instead of a flat 60 or something

GenericFootwear
Nov 4, 2009

Deargodalion posted:

I thought he said that there was some issue with emulating it because it emulated at 60.1fps instead of a flat 60 or something

I think he was only mentioning that in regards to trying to qualify for record times and the like. You can emulate it just fine, but it interferes with frame-perfect timing and stuff.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

Awesome Lost Levels videos. That game cracked the very fibre of my being when I beat each level as Luigi. Great work Linebeck

As for trying to explain more stuff about Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!

Tr33 posted:

Yes the game emulates, but it becomes nearly impossible to do certain things due to USB connections with my controller causing input latency. Even a single frame or two is way too much lag. The stuff I've shown off so far would still be accomplishable if I compensate for the input lag, but as the game progresses the tricks become far too precise. I even experience latency when using a keyboard since the emulator can't pick up the button presses fast enough. What it comes down to really is that the Tyson fight is nearly unbeatable using casual strategies, meaning that a round 1 on him is just out of the question on emulator. There are other things that would be way too hard to do but you could still stumble through the game until getting to Tyson.

For someone who can get through the game without any trouble on the NES, even simply beating Tyson becomes a hugely daunting challenge where you're basically guessing when to dodge since if you react the way you would on NES you're too late. The same thing happens when I play my NES on an HDTV, although a flatscreens input delay seems much worse than emulation.

But in short nobody who tries to play MTPO a lot uses emulator unless they're making a TAS. Casual players will probably find they can't beat Tyson without savestates and I would say if you practiced on the original Nintendo, beating the game in a casual manner would likely only take like less than 50 bouts with Tyson depending on how quick you learn things.

I'd highly recommend people play this on emulator but sadly the Tyson fight would never be authentic, it will be much harder for reasons that just shouldn't be present and simply don't exist when playing on NES. Beating the game on emulator without savestates took me HOURS of poking around at that last fight and I don't think I've lost to Tyson unintentionally on NES in months. And if you're not playing casually and want to get good times you're basically hosed and might as well try to TAS it with savestates.

As for the LP, I'm hoping to keep it moving since it looks like it'll be a bit of a long one, but I have some practicing to do before I can make the next update. Hopefully it doesn't take more than a few days.

Lilfut
Nov 25, 2012
Does Bionic Commando (NES, although possibly Arcade which is arguably a bit harder) qualify for this? I've been looking for an excuse to do it if so.

Deargodalion
Jun 27, 2011

Something clever.
Lipstick Apathy

Lilfut posted:

Does Bionic Commando (NES, although possibly Arcade which is arguably a bit harder) qualify for this? I've been looking for an excuse to do it if so.

In my experience with the game I would say so.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'd say a resounding maybe. It's the kind of game where a lot of it is simple, but non-intuitive to the casual gamer. Once you figure out the proper angling on the bionic arm, and how the item/communicators system work, it ends up becoming rather surmountable. But it's still an awesome and ambitious game in any case.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
It would definitely be worth doing an LP of, in any case.

Lilfut
Nov 25, 2012
I think I'll go ahead and do the arcade version, which is simultaneously harder and much easier to LP since it's not so, well, long. Should I try for a 1-credit run or just say "gently caress it" and turn on freeplay?

EDIT: Just did a test run. A 1-credit run is well beyond my capabilities, and a no-death run is literally impossible - there are 2 or 3 points where you have to die to progress (unless you have TAS reflexes).

Lilfut fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 29, 2013

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Frankly, I would even enjoy a BC megathread, but that's just me being greedy.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'd say practice to the point that you can do each stage without dying (or at least can complete the game on 1 credit), but you can use savestates between stages. Just don't let us see you doing it -- end each update at the end of the stage, then make a savestate, and start the next update from just after loading state.

It's all in the presentation. After all, part of the point of the Hard Games Thread is to show people being good at games.

Lilfut
Nov 25, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'd say practice to the point that you can do each stage without dying (or at least can complete the game on 1 credit), but you can use savestates between stages. Just don't let us see you doing it -- end each update at the end of the stage, then make a savestate, and start the next update from just after loading state.

It's all in the presentation. After all, part of the point of the Hard Games Thread is to show people being good at games.

Fair enough, I guess.

Like I said, though, there are parts of the game that you can't complete without dying - I'm talking quick, tiny little rear end in a top hat enemies moving back and forth on 2-tile platforms that you need to grapple up to to progress, without anywhere to shoot them from.

Choco1980 posted:

Frankly, I would even enjoy a BC megathread, but that's just me being greedy.

I'd agree with this, except I'd also want to claim every game in the series. I loving love Bionic Commando, let me tell you. Even the 2009 reboot, flawed as it was (though the story was a massive clusterfuck and i cannot defend it)

Lilfut fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 29, 2013

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Lilfut posted:

I'd agree with this, except I'd also want to claim every game in the series. I loving love Bionic Commando, let me tell you. Even the 2009 reboot, flawed as it was (though the story was a massive clusterfuck and i cannot defend it)

Well, you could do something like the F-Zero thread, and just go ahead and do all of them yourself.

Lilfut
Nov 25, 2012

azren posted:

Well, you could do something like the F-Zero thread, and just go ahead and do all of them yourself.

I am a lazy rear end in a top hat and I wouldn't be able to make that kind of commitment. Also I don't have a capture card and nobody wants a camcorder LP of ReArmed.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Chiming in to say I'd love to see Bionic Commando. It's tough enough to qualify.

I also had the idea for a BC megathread, but I too lack a reliable way to record the ReArmed games and the 2009 game.

But yeah, pop the NES/arcade one in here if you like.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Lilfut posted:

Rearmed (the NES ver. remake) is a lot harder than the original, this could be a good excuse to buy it if you don't have it already.

Lilfut
Nov 25, 2012
Oh, I've played ReArmed. Still need to beat the VR bonus level thingies, though.

Anyway, using between-level savestates I can probably do a 1-credit run of the arcade version using the max lives (7) setting on the DIP switches. Without savestates, I might even be able to do a 1-coin run using max settings (1 coin = 6 credits).

I know it sounds like I'm not good at it and shouldn't be doing it for the thread, but BC Arcade is loving tough. Without the generous respawn system, it would have definitely been Capcom's hardest game.

also if we ever do a bionic commando megathread someone needs to do like a dramatic reading or something of the worlds of power book

EDIT: Just got through recording the first part. Should I just upload it and post it, or do I need to get it approved somehow?

Also, did you know a roughly 15-minute MAME recording takes up 10 GB of disk space? Strange but true.

EDIT AGAIN: While I try to find a non-terrible recording method, I'm also going to really hunker down and practice this game. I can easily do a 1-coin run now, I might be able to get it to 1-credit with some more practice. No-death is not a goal I'm going to even bother reaching for, though.

Lilfut fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 30, 2013

Capt. J. Linebeck
Dec 28, 2012

Golgo 13: Top Secret Mission is a NES game based on the long running Golgo 13 adult manga series. Golgo 13's objective in the game is to destroy the leader of the resurrected Nazi regime DREK group. Its difficulty mainly stems from bad controls, hitboxes that go everywhere, and long, long mazes. It is also infamous for containing drug use, graphic violence and 8-bit sex scenes, which at the time was highly unusual as Nintendo of America had very strict guidelines for such content.

Act 1: The Iron Curtain

With Iron Chitlin, Killeremcee, and Futurefriend.

In which the best part of the game is it's pause screen.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

...and then he eats the body, but they always cut out the spoon scene.

(The Adventures of) Bayou Billy is an NES game from '89 wherein a Southern version of Crocodile Dundee tries to save his girlfriend from a New Orleans gangster. Gameplay switches between beat-em-up, lightgun/rail shooter and driving stages. This game can be pretty hard, but only because of bad design choices that didn't exist in the Japanese version. For some reason, they made this game very hard to beat in the American release.

Bayou Billy spawned 5 comics from Archie. He also appeared on the animated series Captain N as some sort of monstrous, crocodile-riding ogre.

Fantastic commercial Advertisement

Stage 1: Bayou's Backyard

Stage 2 and 3: Deep in the Heart of Dixie Swamp & Gator Alley

Stage 4 and 5: I-10, the road to New Orleans & Superdome Drive

Stage 6: The French Quarter

Stage 7 and 8: Gordon's Gateway - AKA: Murderer's Row, and Hitman's Yard

Final Stage: The Perilous Plantation Parlor

Smite fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 5, 2013

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Oh god. Bayou Billy. This is a game I had as a child. I liked the level where you shoot guys with a lightgun, at least. Too bad the beat em up portion is such a slog, and the driving is... well, I'll let you get to that.

I'll say one thing though. Seeing Mad City... good god. :stare: I knew it was supposedly "easier" than Bayou Billy, but actually seeing it in action made my jaw drop at how much easier it is. drat it, Konami. You screwed me over in 1995 with this hard as hell nonsense.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

FreezingInferno posted:

Seeing Mad City... good god. :stare: I knew it was supposedly "easier" than Bayou Billy, but actually seeing it in action made my jaw drop at how much easier it is. drat it, Konami. You screwed me over in 1995 with this hard as hell nonsense.

If you think they made the beat-em-up section easy, wait until you see what the car levels are like.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Bayou Billy does have pretty good music, if nothing else.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I really want to see these kinds of commercials come back, with a character hawking the game. You can easily imagine Nolan North doing something like this for Uncharted, or an animated Luigi cheering that he gets the spotlight in Super Luigi Bros U.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Here's the next episode, the game switches it up to a lightgun/rail-shooter stage and then goes back to the norm.

Stage 2 and 3: Deep in the Heart of Dixie Swamp & Gator Alley

Smite fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 31, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bruceski posted:

I really want to see these kinds of commercials come back, with a character hawking the game. You can easily imagine Nolan North doing something like this for Uncharted, or an animated Luigi cheering that he gets the spotlight in Super Luigi Bros U.

You're in luck! Kinda.
A recording popped up recently where Luigi did just that!

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Capt. J. Linebeck posted:

Act 1: The Iron Curtain

With Iron Chitlin, Killeremcee, and Futurefriend.

In which the best part of the game is it's pause screen.

"The man with the custom M-16"

This is going to be cool! :munch:

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 1, 2013

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Time for drivin' some cars!

Stage 4 and 5: I-10, the road to New Orleans & Superdome Drive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
The Mad City car levels... Konami... why? Why? That is more than just tweaking the level to make it a "little" harder. They redid the entire thing to make it ridiculous.

I... Jesus, this might be the most drastic Japanese/American difficulty change thing I have ever seen. Stuff like Battletoads and Ninja Gaiden 3 were retooled slightly to make them harder. Bayou Billy seems like it was re-built specifically to make it the hardest thing.

My inner child is weeping right now. He could have had simple driving levels instead of that hell. God drat it Konami.

• Locked thread