Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
It's not got a class registry number like BSHT 1401 or anything like that so I suspect it's just an oddly worded student organization meeting. Still, bleagh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Ken Nagle, Magic: The Gathering designer for Wizards:

Ken enjoys dressing up in a "Phyrexian" costume at a Magic event:

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
My university is offering a class this semester called "Introduction to Social Interaction." All the flyers for said class have a different Socially Awkward Penguin meme on them.

The class counts as General Education/Humanities core credit.

Garnavis
Aug 25, 2011

Hey, I calls 'em like I sees 'em! I'm a whale biologist.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Hopefully it features actual steampunk literature, not that cogs on tophat bullshit. I'd love to see a bunch of neckbeards complain about their beloved steampunk being too depressing.

I'm legitimately curious what "actual steampunk literature" is.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
H.G Welles and Jules Verne most likely.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Garnavis posted:

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Pyrolocutus posted:

Ken Nagle, Magic: The Gathering designer for Wizards:

Ken enjoys dressing up in a "Phyrexian" costume at a Magic event:

I just had to google this guy:

" Evan Erwin ends each episode of The Magic Show with a quote by Ken, "I always liked the fatties." "

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

WebDog posted:

H.G Welles and Jules Verne most likely.

William Gibsons The Difference Engine is another. People forget about the -punk in Steampunk.
(I am not a steampunk fan, I just really like William Gibson)

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt

Busket_in_Posket posted:

My university is offering a class this semester called "Introduction to Social Interaction." All the flyers for said class have a different Socially Awkward Penguin meme on them.

I'd think that'd make sense, considering that if the only way you know how to communicate is with stupid poo poo like memes, using memes to attract these socially awkward neckbeards in and teach them basic communication skills is probably for the best.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Garnavis posted:

The Difference Engine.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

Garnavis posted:

The better works involve confronting the human cost of technology. Simply gluing brass cogs to a hat does not make it automatically 'steampunk'.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

Frankston posted:

Reminds me of a guy I saw when I was enrolling at college on Friday. Overweight, greasy, awful beard, and a tank top showing off his flabby arms and stained armpits that said 'OLYMPIC MUFF DIVER' on it. I'm sure the poor woman who was enrolling him enjoyed it very much.

He was there with a similarly fat and greasy woman, but I honestly couldn't tell if it was his mother or a girlfriend.

Back when I used to work at Chick-fil-A, one of my coworkers was a line cook named Mary. She was sort of stocky, with a somewhat potato-shaped torso atop two tiny legs roughly the diameter of one of my arms. She never covered her mouth when she coughed, and because she smoked like a coal-rolling Ford pickup truck, she coughed all the time. After every shift, her dumpy, greasy boyfriend would come over on his little moped and pick her up. After making out for a bit behind the dumpsters, the two of them would hop on the bike and trundle off together like Elliott and E.T., if E.T. had been shaped like a chicken and Elliott had just gotten out of the county lockup for attempting to return an empty box to Wal-Mart.

Even though the guy was pretty ugly and acted like a dick to the rest of us, clearly Mary must have seen something in him, because she stuck with him even after she found out he'd gotten her 15-year-old daughter pregnant.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Didn't want to alienate her new son in law

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Garnavis posted:

I think it's meant to show what happens when technological progress outstrips social responsibility. "What would happen if we gave Victorian England computers" is a pretty horrifying 'what if'.

It's mostly just goths who have branched out from black into brown. Speaking of awkward goths, have some goths on okc:

quote:

"My self-summary
I’m a socially awkward punk/goth kid. I am a Roman Catholic Pagan Atheist. I have a fairly twisted sense of humor, for example, I consider the movie Hannibal to be a brilliant comedy. And sometimes I do fairly random things when I get bored, like highlighting fairly random words in my profile while waiting for these bastards to deliver a drat sammich”

quote:

"the first things people usually notice about me
Blue hair, eyes and possibly my coffee addiction.
And maybe that I’m doing something strange/goofy.”

quote:

"The first things people usually notice about me
Most likely the way I am dressed, I would say I fall into the steampunk/goth visual aesthetic and have gotten a number of comments on my hats and other chosen vestments. I am also a complete loon though so it might be that I am doing cartwheels in the park.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Here's a little joke to cheer this thread up a bit.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

Picnic Princess posted:

Perfect. I love how it's just lurking there at the bottom of the picture.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Featured at PAX this weekend:

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I think it's meant to show what happens when technological progress outstrips social responsibility. "What would happen if we gave Victorian England computers" is a pretty horrifying 'what if'.

It's mostly just goths who have branched out from black into brown. Speaking of awkward goths, have some goths on okc:

Hey mister goth guy, being an actual atheist kind of means you can't call yourself a Roman Catholic. Ya know, all that not believing in a god and stuff.
And wow his hair is super fried, might want to lay off the black dye there my gloomy friend.

Mechahamster
Oct 9, 2007
Tiny paws of doom

Dreadwroth posted:

Hey mister goth guy, being an actual atheist kind of means you can't call yourself a Roman Catholic. Ya know, all that not believing in a god and stuff.
And wow his hair is super fried, might want to lay off the black dye there my gloomy friend.

What he means is that he wants to be a cool atheist that bangs pagan chicks but hasn't had the courage yet to tell mom he doesn't want to go to church anymore.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Dreadwroth posted:

No, no. He feels really guilty about it.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Picnic Princess posted:

What mind-altering drugs would convince the common schlub that they could pull off a loving tiger print fedora? You need a Caddy, a scepter, and a body count before you're even near the point where you can pull that off. And even then, it would pull down your overall style. You need to be a literal blaxploitation character for that not to pull you into negative style.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Nuts and Gum posted:

Featured at PAX this weekend:

"Let Freedom Swing"

:barf:

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I've said before that in Europe I tend to see fedoras as more of a douchebag/hipster accessory than a nerdy one. Douches still use them with shorts and flip-flops though (or skinny jeans), normally coupled with big headphones.

This is from a "hip" store in the city where I live. Note the feather in the Fedora.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I still hesitate between awkward and awesome, but I'm genuinely worried about people running around with a stick against their genitals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K-xgBpQU84&t=307s

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Scarf posted:

Went up to my old alma mater for the start of football season and saw this posted up in the library:

:ughh:

Oh poo poo. It's real.
http://libguides.clemson.edu/content.php?pid=327959&sid=3855065

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

cyberia posted:

"Let Freedom Swing"

:barf:

I'm sorry, but what am I supposed to be seeing here?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Busket_in_Posket posted:

Take it. It's an easy A.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Busket_in_Posket posted:

That could be pretty interesting, if it was comparing norms and customs between cultures and whatnot. I hope it's something like that at any rate...

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Serperoth posted:

That could be pretty interesting, if it was comparing norms and customs between cultures and whatnot. I hope it's something like that at any rate...

Or the linguistic/pragmatics side of things.

I would love to follow a class like that if it actually involved some challenging linguistics, especially if the first class would be filled with awkward fedoras who'd leave angry and confused halfway through.
Although, even if it were a class teaching how to interact in social situations, they might do that anyway.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mechahamster posted:

What he means is that he wants to be a cool atheist that bangs pagan chicks but hasn't had the courage yet to tell mom he doesn't want to go to church anymore.
Hah he'd have a better chance trying to bang other goth boys.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Double Plus Good posted:

Someone from my university posted their tumblr and this is their about me.

The rest of the page was fandom related. Ke/kir/kir pronouns, please.

Hey, at least one of those bullets is true.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:

Friends Are Evil posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGH9iiY4jMs

He made a video of himself crying about how the Six Flags girl deleted him on facebook.

I think this is all part of a very long-running joke. At least his video I Raped Someone has to be.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Kheldragar posted:

I'm sorry, but what am I supposed to be seeing here?

A big ole sign that says "Utilikilts" and clothing racks with said utilikilts.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Machai posted:

A big ole sign that says "Utilikilts" and clothing racks with said utilikilts.

I guess it's a problem that I don't know what an Utilkilt is. Time to use Google. :smith:

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
The 'Post Your Picture' thread is a goldmine of delusional self promotion.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

RideTheSpiral posted:

The years have not been kind to Harry Potter.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

RideTheSpiral posted:

What's wrong with Paul? Loading Ready Run is pretty amusing.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Barf Wight posted:

I think this is all part of a very long-running joke. At least his video I Raped Someone has to be.

He stole part of Borat for the description of it.
Probably full of poo poo but it's still up there with the Lohan shirt guy for being instances where your lovely joke just makes you a different kind of creep.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Tardcore posted:

The years have not been kind to Harry Potter.

That has to be a joke, right? He's literally this kid, except without any self-awareness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

Improbable Lobster posted:

Hopefully it features actual steampunk literature, not that cogs on tophat bullshit. I'd love to see a bunch of neckbeards complain about their beloved steampunk being too depressing.
It could also be a sociology-based class on the steampunk subculture, as steampunk has come onto the radar of sociologists recently, in the same way that punk, goth, and other subcultures are studied. That's what I would assume it is. Doesn't mean a bunch of people won't show up with cogs on hats and be terribly disappointed, though.

• Locked thread