Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Can you describe what the problem is when you try to knit with the berocco yarn? Maybe it's something that can be fixed :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
I'm not getting the stitch definition I want out of it. If that's a part of using tweedy yarns then forgive me, I'm still learning. I could guess as much since its a mix if mohair and wool and alpaca and maybe angora, so it makes sense that mix would tend to make a sort of blended look. I've knit up 6 inch long things with it in seed, various ribs, etc, and it all looks like crap to me.

Again, I am sort of new to knitting so if is its just me picking the wrong yarn, its fine. You all are way out of my league good at this stuff so this all probably seems really dumb. But I have $35 of this stuff sitting around, and I want to put it to use.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
Yeah, mohair tends to be fluffy--and if angora's in it too, then it's probably really fluffy. You're probably not going to get clear stitch definition no matter what because of the fuzzy halo the yarn will have.

Could you post a picture of it?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I've never used Berocco tweed myself and that sounds like it won't get very good stitch definition, but that it'll be warm as balls and would make a great cold weather hat, scarf/cowl, or mittens, in plain stockinette or rib.

Also, sup fellow dudeknitter! Totally awkward trips to the LYS :hf:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Knittin' dudes :whatup:

The ladies at my local yarn store are all really nice, and the first time I went in, the owner and one of the regular customers mentioned that a lot more guys and young people are doing handcrafts like knitting, crochet, sewing, etc. Nobody ever gave me a hard time over it. Of course, I also promised to bring homemade cookies next time I come in.

I honestly don't get it. My old boss probably would have said it sounds "bisexual" because that's the kind of moron he is, but I would have thought other knitters would be the last people to give you poo poo over it. My 80-something grandma is thrilled that I'm knitting, and so is my mother's friend who is such a good knitter that she taught her sister to knit over the phone.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Knittin' dudes :whatup:

The ladies at my local yarn store are all really nice, and the first time I went in, the owner and one of the regular customers mentioned that a lot more guys and young people are doing handcrafts like knitting, crochet, sewing, etc. Nobody ever gave me a hard time over it. Of course, I also promised to bring homemade cookies next time I come in.

I honestly don't get it. My old boss probably would have said it sounds "bisexual" because that's the kind of moron he is, but I would have thought other knitters would be the last people to give you poo poo over it. My 80-something grandma is thrilled that I'm knitting, and so is my mother's friend who is such a good knitter that she taught her sister to knit over the phone.

Dudeknitters ITT, all over TT. :c00l::respek::c00l:

Getting that weird reaction for being a dudeknitter depends a lot on where you go. In some of the snootier craft-yarn shops I used to get that a lot. Which is really stupid when you think about it, it alienates a huge potential customer base. I know plenty of other guys who knit.

Only thing that sucks is that it's harder to find really nice patterns for guys. There's tons of awesome stuff out there for ladyknitters but not as much for us. Especially when it comes to fair isle/stranded knitting projects.

Also, to add to the suggestions, when you're just starting out cheap acrylic craft yarn is actually a really good choice, especially a low-ply yarn. Not only is it cheap, but it's not usually particularly fuzzy or difficult to work with, and you get excellent stitch definition so it's easy to tell when you're knitting too loose or too tight and whatnot. It's also easy to see what the yarn is doing to help you learn how to fix mistakes. Plus you don't need to worry so much about wasting really expensive yarn. Once you're really happy with the basics, then you can move up to the fancier/nicer stuff because you'll have a better understanding of how everything works together. Just MHO though.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"

two forty posted:

Hey knitters!

I am relatively new to knitting, having first tried it out about a year ago, but lately I've gotten beyond making awkward little squares I unravel when I get bored and finally completed my second real project this evening.

My first project was a very wide ~6' scarf of cheap red heart yarn (in stockinette, so of course it curled badly). I stitched up the edges to flatten it and made a nice, thick, warm scarf out of it, way too heavy to wear here in the Deep South, but I still like it.

This evening I finished a garter stitch scarf (about 5') I accidentally promised a friend as a birthday gift. Just need to wash it, do a quick simple embroidered letter on it, pack it up and it's ready to go.

I got kind of ahead of myself and picked up a couple balls of some variety of Berroco tweed yarn at the local independent yarn shop between these projects. It's really nice yarn and looks great but I cannot manage to make a single decent looking thing out of it, not even a simple swatch. I even went out and bought #7 needles as suggested on the package, and still everything I try to make looks like hell.

I accept that maybe I'm not at that level yet and that's fine, but I'm pretty decent at simple stitches by now and I feel like I should be able to make something acceptable out of this stuff. I think I'll knit my 85 year old grandmother a babushka thing out of some cheap yarn so she can go smoke in relative comfort in the New Jersey winters while I further refine my technique, I guess. Not lookimg for any particular advice, just airing my frustrations here.

FYI I'm a guy who knits so buying and talking yarn and knitting is way more awkward than it needs to be. The reactions people give out here when a man mentions knitting are both hilarious and disturbing.

Welcome, fellow bro-knitter! I've been knitting (and to a lesser degre crochet) for about a month or two.
I feel you on the situation with the LYS. The one in my fiancee's hometown is really cool. It is run by a married couple, and the husband is actually the one that taught us how to knit, so it is very guy friendly. However, my town does not have a real LYS, just a big chain store (rhymes with wabi-sabi) that sells craft stuff, and the ladies there used to give me weird looks or weird comments. You just need to stride in there confidently like the drat knitting god that you are. If anybody says anything, just say something along the lines of "Bro, do EVEN knit?!?" or make an off color comment about having "nimble fingers." :)

Seriously though, please do post those pics. Having not dealt with tweed, I'd be curious to see what you are talking about.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I hate that some women knitters have given male knitters the cold shoulder, I'm sure those exact same women have at least once in their lives felt unwelcome in a traditionally male dominated activity, and been mad about it.

I was teaching my niece how to knit and my nephew asked if he could learn as well, and I said of course at the exact same moment his father (my idiot brother) said "absolutely not!" (I taught him anyway, because screw you brother). It's just dumb. And anyway, men have knit forever! Look it up!

If any of you man knitters on here aren't on Ravelry yet, you should join for sure. In addition to being completely awesome in every other way, they have a pretty big active group for male knitters.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

It also helps if you have slightly adventurous tastes in clothing. I have lots of very lacey scarves and shawls/shawlettes I wear as scarves (or around my waist like a kilt thingy, looks drat good) in fairly masculine or neutral colors and have gotten nothing but fawning compliments on them from all the women at fiber conventions or LYSes.

(Unfortunately I like dudes so it does me no good in the romance department :v:)

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

Dudeknitters rock. Dudespinners and dudeweavers even moreso. Knitting's like a gateway drug for fiber arts. :kimchi:

e: Not to derail, here is my current w.i.p.

The blue is millspun, the other is my own handspun. I'm currently suffering from SSS (second sock syndrome) as I've cast on the mate but don't even have an inch of cuff done.

TastesLikeChicken fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 30, 2013

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

That's why I pretty much always do socks two at a time. I hate SSS!

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
Thanks for the welcome y'all! I should clarify, the lady at the yarn shop was nice but seemed rather curious as to why exactly I was knitting. I live in a very affluent suburb full of older people, so maybe she was just taken off guard at seeing a young man in her store. My first scarf I sewed up the edges of while waiting for a plane at the gate, and an older woman sitting across from me was amazed that I taught myself how to knit and would work on it publicly.

I'll knit up a little swatch to show you what kind of results I'm getting. It is true and should have been obvious to me by now that a fuzzier yarn will yield a fuzzy knit, and perhaps I should work a project where that wont be an issue that bothers me.

Oh, and I gave my friend her scarf today as an early birthday present and she absolutely loved it, it made me feel great about the time and effort I put into it. She's already thinking of outfits she can wear with it (but it was about 90 degrees here today, heh.)

E: started working a little square in stockinette and it actually looks a lot better than I remembered. Maybe I'm just getting better. A bit of a transition from worsted yarn on #9s to this finer stuff on #7s. Will post a picture when done.

pants in my pants fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 31, 2013

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
I think it's awesome that more men are knitting! I don't get the stigma at all. It would be like excluding women from auto mechanics because it's traditionally a male-dominated skill.

I have a male friend who knits, and I didn't know it for years because he's a bit reluctant to talk about it. I invited him to a local craft night I go to, but he's never come yet. I hate the snobbery that sometimes comes along with crafting of ANY kind.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Is this turnout weak or what? I had at least 70 more people at my funeral.

suddenly cats posted:

What helped me finally nail down the general basics was making the mistake of promising my friend a 4th Doctor scarf. It turned out great and I can knit at the speed of light now, but I wouldn't recommend a 12-foot long project to just anybody.

Oh man, my attention span is barely long enough to even contemplate making a Doctor scarf.

On the subject of man-knitting, one of my best friend's dad (55ish) is an avid knitter. He made them all colorwork Christmas stockings. I think it is super cool. It's making things with your hands, totally tough.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

My dad taught me how to knit, and hem pants. He didn't know anything other than stockenette, but at 10 years old it was plenty to make a whole wack of pot holders. (he's also a better teacher than my mom, but shhhh)

KObot
Mar 11, 2008

FelicityGS posted:

I have about 8 - 9 projects on the go at all times. I keep some small things I can knit when I am too tired to process, and then my larger projects. I go through spurts with my larger projects where I really want to work on them, and then suddenly want something entirely different. All of my large projects tend to be different styles--a complicated lace shawl, a less complicated one from a different style of lace, a bulky sweater, really complicated socks. That way if I want big, I have big, I want lace I have lace, and so on.

It means I'm really slow finishing, but I also don't angst much about whether I'll finish or not. I will, eventually, I just need to rotate out sometimes if I get bored or I will actually stop knitting entirely to avoid it. Project monogamy kills my desire to knit.

I have lots of half finished projects laying around. I usually scrap them before I finish though. I've been working for a good four days on a shawl that is about 3/4 s of the way done, so I'm excited to finish and block it because its looking excellent so far.

As an aside, I'm curious to know how long an average knitter takes to complete certain projects. I'm self-taught and I feel like I spend a lot of time figuring things out and fixing mistakes and that slows me down, but I don't really have anything to compare to because no one I know knits.

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."
I knitted and beaded a shawlette in about 8 days, yet I've been working on this snood for about 2 years. It really depends on motivation, available time, and whether my wrists hold out! I'm a pretty slow knitter, but because I have several half finished projects by the time summer hits and I stop knitting, It seems like I'm quick when I finish them all up within a matter of a couple months once fall hits.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

KObot posted:

I have lots of half finished projects laying around. I usually scrap them before I finish though. I've been working for a good four days on a shawl that is about 3/4 s of the way done, so I'm excited to finish and block it because its looking excellent so far.

As an aside, I'm curious to know how long an average knitter takes to complete certain projects. I'm self-taught and I feel like I spend a lot of time figuring things out and fixing mistakes and that slows me down, but I don't really have anything to compare to because no one I know knits.

Ravelry is really good for this-- you can see the start and end dates on project pages.

My project completion times are all over the place-- right now I have maybe 3 hours a week to knit, which aren't always used for knitting, and I'm a slow knitter to boot.

A pair of magic-looped fingering weight socks should take me about a month, but I usually get bored after I turn the heel and I won't come back to them for months at a time. A medium-length scarf might take me a month; a hat with light patterning might take me two weeks. I had a lace scarf that took me over a year, though if pressed I can finish a sweater in 30 days.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.

HeatherChandler posted:

Oh man, my attention span is barely long enough to even contemplate making a Doctor scarf.

I stopped at two separate points to work on other smaller projects, because even with the color changes, several hundred rows of garter stitch gets really monotonous.

I'm about to start on this afghan pattern. It'll be my biggest project to date, and the only large one I've attempted besides the Doctor scarf (all my completed projects include scarfs, hats, and a few electronics cozies). Wish me luck!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
So I have a lot of wool. Like, a lot of wool. Almost all of it worsted, all of it good for felting. Does anyone have an idea for a crazy big project/pattern I could work on? I'm thinking either a huge rug or blanket, even though I'm not too sure how comfy a wool blanket would be.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
A large felted bag? A rug would be great, either entrance or area. This is one I've thought about making out of tshirt yarn (or buying large swaths of jersey knit fabric on clearance) Could easily be adapted to worsted held double I'd think.

Or you could make some of these super huge 1.5" diameter needles to work on a blanket or pouf from this lady! She sells them for around $100 a set, but it's just two large wood dowels (or similar) and fence toppers painted all purty.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
How the gently caress do you even knit with needles that big. :stare:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

PVC pipe is usable too if you put a cap on the ends.

Speaking of knitting on those giant needles, don't fall for the "knit a rug/blanket with roving!" thing. It looks neat and goes super quick, but that poo poo falls apart if you look at it wrong. Roving just isn't meant to be used that way, even if you felt the hell out of it to give it some strength.

V: Oh yeah, I know you meant yarn. I'm just ranting about all the people I see who knit these 3" thick blankets out of roving (one person I know spent four hundred dollars on about six pounds of 100% alpaca combed top for one one of those blankets). Yeah, show me that thing again in a year. Also, have fun melting underneath six pounds of pure alpaca blanket.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 2, 2013

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I'm not using roving. It's straight-up Patons yarn and yarn similar to it. I just finally sorted my stash and realize over half of it is nothing but wool. :psyduck:

I was thinking of maybe a super huge comforter-like blanket to toss over my other blankets for the winter. Those Go Girl patterns might do the trick if I can find a substitute for $100 needles.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

I've had this one bookmarked for a while, but have never gotten around to making it.

http://www.homeecflunkee.com/2011/10/how-to-make-knitted-pouf-ottoman.html

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I'm actually thinking of making a bunch of car blankets for family members for christmas, which would be practical and use a poo poo ton of yarn! :eng101:

On the other hand, man do I want to make one of those giant crochet poof things. :swoon:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Car blankets are something that don't seem all that useful, until they really are. I usually keep a cheap fleece blanket from the drugstore in the car and I use it a lot, even though the heater works fine. Wish I had it when we were driving to Vegas in December, though. It was hella cold, and turning on the heater was making the driver sleepy. :ohdear:

I also really want to make one of those poufs, but I have no idea what to do with it.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

Does anybody have any experience with the Chiaogoo circular needle sets (more specifically the bamboo ones)? Owner of our LYS was talking them up a lot and saying how great they are but $150 for a set of circular needles seemed crazy to me. So I was curious if anyone owns them or has used them.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

laertes22 posted:

Does anybody have any experience with the Chiaogoo circular needle sets (more specifically the bamboo ones)? Owner of our LYS was talking them up a lot and saying how great they are but $150 for a set of circular needles seemed crazy to me. So I was curious if anyone owns them or has used them.

I'm assuming you mean the interchangeable set? I've got the steel ones, and I love them, though not quite as much as I love my fixed Chiao Goo steel circs. The joins for the cables are nice and smooth, though I've had some problems with my needles coming un-screwed from the cables because I'm lazy and don't use the cable key to tighten them. If you're not sure about the set, try getting a pair of the bamboo fixed circulars to see if you like the cable and all.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

GabrielAisling posted:

I'm assuming you mean the interchangeable set? I've got the steel ones, and I love them, though not quite as much as I love my fixed Chiao Goo steel circs. The joins for the cables are nice and smooth, though I've had some problems with my needles coming un-screwed from the cables because I'm lazy and don't use the cable key to tighten them. If you're not sure about the set, try getting a pair of the bamboo fixed circulars to see if you like the cable and all.

I did indeed mean the interchangeable set.

drat, I was kind of hoping you were going to say that they weren't worth the hype because I saw them and immediately lusted after them. Maybe if I am good this year, Santa Claus will get them for me.

I have used steel needles, but don't really like the "slipperiness" of them, although I know some people love them. When I first started knitting, I started off on bamboo needles and much prefer the friction you get with bamboo/wood. This may be because I am a relative newbie and am always scared my work is going to accidentally slip off the needles, so maybe I will like steel better one day.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

I have the bamboo set (the smaller one too, so about $80) and love it. Only thing I don't like is the steel set comes with a nylon-coated braided steel cable that I like MUCH more than the pure nylon cable the wood set comes with. But you can buy the pieces individually to do that if you want rather than get it all in one go.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

All of the ladies at my local yarn place swear by Knitter's Pride Dreamz needles.

They do come in pretty colors.

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

All of the ladies at my local yarn place swear by Knitter's Pride Dreamz needles.

They do come in pretty colors.

my husband bought me this interchangeable set of Dreamz and I love them more than any circular I've ever used.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

I have the Addi Click lace long tip set, and I have to be honest: for the price of the set, I expected a smoother join. I do, however, love the click system which means no need for a cable key, and the built in lifeline slit in the cables.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

Do most people just use circular needles for knitting in the round? Or do you use them as your main needles even for things that would normally call for straight needles?

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

laertes22 posted:

Do most people just use circular needles for knitting in the round? Or do you use them as your main needles even for things that would normally call for straight needles?

I use circulars for everything. I enjoy not having to worry about dropping a needle under my desk or in a huge lecture hall because I'm terrible at keeping a hold on my things, haha.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I use my interchangeable set for everything except small diameter stuff where I use double points because I haven't gotten the hang of magic loop yet. I have an addi turbo set that I use less than my cheaper set of knitters pride nova.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

laertes22 posted:

I use circs for everything. I feel like a bug with big long antennae sticking out when I use straights now.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
I use circs for everything because straights are usually too heavy for my arthritic hands, and knitting is one of the things I do to keep my joints moving and in somewhat working condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Depends on what I'm doing, though usually it's just what I have on hand in that size. If I use a set of straight needles for whatever reason, I knit like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kArQ2jpaKw

So I don't have problems with the weight of the needles or wrist strain or anything. But it's not practical for things like lace or colorwork (for me anyway, I haven't been doing it nearly as long as The Yarn Harlot), so for that I get out the circulars.