Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

ChrisXP posted:

Couldn't see much discussion about this gameplay vid:

Official Narrated Gameplay Demonstration
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF3AwytdPh8

Was it not posted yet?

I really hope those guys in the MEC suits are like super-careful about how they walk. They really look like if you get your toes stepped on by one of them, the only way you're ever walking again is a set of MEC legs of your own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

My big problem with Battle Scanners is that my sniper is usually so far behind the front line that there's no way she can throw it far enough to be useful

They aren't useful way at the back when you are breaching the UFO. Inside cities though, yeah, that is often a limitation.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

My big problem with Battle Scanners is that my sniper is usually so far behind the front line that there's no way she can throw it far enough to be useful

Well the squids are solely designed to gently caress you up for doing that. So stick with the team. I might actually start using snapshot.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Mr. Wynand posted:

They aren't useful way at the back when you are breaching the UFO. Inside cities though, yeah, that is often a limitation.

That's true, but my strategy tends to be using the sniper when clearing the forest, and just using my other 4-5 guys actually inside the UFO. I can never be bothered to bring the sniper all the way up to meet everyone, and with the way UFOs are laid out it's hard to get decent LOS, I have better luck with close range high damage troops like heavys and assaults

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

ChrisXP posted:

Was it not posted yet?

Aright, free aim destroy cover is back!

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

My big problem with Battle Scanners is how often they seem to fall through the map and reveal exactly nothing.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Benagain posted:

Aright, free aim destroy cover is back!

Unfortunately that attack used literally all of the MEC trooper's ammo.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

That's true, but my strategy tends to be using the sniper when clearing the forest, and just using my other 4-5 guys actually inside the UFO. I can never be bothered to bring the sniper all the way up to meet everyone, and with the way UFOs are laid out it's hard to get decent LOS, I have better luck with close range high damage troops like heavys and assaults

A sniper with Gunslinger is still pretty useful in close quarters. I would never have them go through a door first, but they can hang out at the back of the pack and help finish off wounded targets just fine.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Still seems like a great tradeoff, especially if the thing can run forward and punch aliens next turn. It ain't perfect but nothing in this cursed existence is.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Just grabbed the game off of that Amazon deal (base game + DLC for $10), registered it thru Steam, and have it downloading as I type this. I loved the original X-Com to bits, so I'm really looking forward to getting to grips with the updated version. :dance:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Just grabbed the game off of that Amazon deal (base game + DLC for $10), registered it thru Steam, and have it downloading as I type this. I loved the original X-Com to bits, so I'm really looking forward to getting to grips with the updated version. :dance:

Incoming "gently caress Thin Men" post.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Play on Classic :colbert:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

That cover destruction skill would be pretty great for Heavies (to use all their ammo on).

They could name the skill after this guy

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Pimpmust posted:

That cover destruction skill would be pretty great for Heavies (to use all their ammo on).

Nah heavies need that ammo for suppression.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

quiggy posted:

Nah heavies need that ammo for suppression.

Aint got time to bleed (from alien grenades).

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Supraluminal posted:

A sniper with Gunslinger is still pretty useful in close quarters. I would never have them go through a door first, but they can hang out at the back of the pack and help finish off wounded targets just fine.

That's true, and I always take Gunslinger for that reason, it's just that in UFO I know I'm going to face Outsiders/Commanders and I never have a problem just Alloy Cannoning/Heavy Plasmaing them to death

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

That's true, and I always take Gunslinger for that reason, it's just that in UFO I know I'm going to face Outsiders/Commanders and I never have a problem just Alloy Cannoning/Heavy Plasmaing them to death

It's "plasmaeing", not "plasmaing"
Source:

John plasmaed at him and tried to blew him up. But then the ceiling fell and they were trapped and not able to kill.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Yeah, I've always thought ship interiors need more patrols, including making the "boss" group wander around. Right now, the stack up door bust method is just too damned easy.

DeeVoc
Oct 27, 2008
Bought this while it was on sale through amazon and feeling the pain already. Started the first run through just assuming everything would go to poo poo (and it did), but now I'm convinced I can SAVE EVERYONE! It's truly the cruelest game of groundhog day ever.

So far every game starts out going great with everything going just fine, then it seems like in a heartbeat I lose 3/5 squad members in a single mission and 2 countries leave the federation and my video game boss is telling me "I'm not mad, just disappointed"

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

DeeVoc posted:

Bought this while it was on sale through amazon and feeling the pain already. Started the first run through just assuming everything would go to poo poo (and it did), but now I'm convinced I can SAVE EVERYONE! It's truly the cruelest game of groundhog day ever.

So far every game starts out going great with everything going just fine, then it seems like in a heartbeat I lose 3/5 squad members in a single mission and 2 countries leave the federation and my video game boss is telling me "I'm not mad, just disappointed"

As LNG as fewer than 5 countries have left the project and you have at least 6 or 7 troops to cycle through, you're okay.

....you're going to be okay. :smith:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So how is this "overuse of Meld may corrupt your soldiers" going to work? Like, is there a percent chance per upgrade a character will go berserk or betray you to the enemy?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

That would seem to go against the whole "We wouldn't want to deter using the new stuff" thing they had going on. I mean, if they won't even put in an achievement for running "pure" I don't see how they'd put in something actually punishing :iiam:

Unless it's a "Haha you will take it up the but and like it! :xcom:" deal

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Welmu posted:

Not that I know of, so I went and used http://www.twitchtools.com/video-download.php to download the relevant segments (12-14, iirc) to watch without freezing.

Brilliant, thanks!

Edgecase
Dec 7, 2009

Pimpmust posted:

That would seem to go against the whole "We wouldn't want to deter using the new stuff" thing they had going on. I mean, if they won't even put in an achievement for running "pure" I don't see how they'd put in something actually punishing :iiam:

Unless it's a "Haha you will take it up the but and like it! :xcom:" deal

It would be consistent with their statement that you "probably wouldn't be able to get all the way down both [the gene mod and MEC] trees." Maybe they want to let you get your hands on it, but not have it ALL.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

ChrisXP posted:

Was it not posted yet?

XCOM just doesn't understand how armour works :(

Not played in a while, but the needle grenade says it does 3 damage and then hits the thin man for 4, didn't think explosives had ranges.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Darkrenown posted:

XCOM just doesn't understand how armour works :(
Hey, when you are a genejacked ubermensch you can wear your armour however you drat well please :colbert:

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
So do I just have to blunder right into an enemy's Overwatch trap sometimes, or what? I'm on a UFO crash mission, and I'm on a map with nothing but half cover between me and the aliens that have been activated. Maybe one full cover but it's too far for me to get to in one turn. Furthermore, I'd also activate the Outsider by proceeding forward. I've been waiting for them to come to me for several rounds now, but one sectoid just keeps buffing the other who doesn't seem to be moving towards us at all.

I feel like there is absolutely nothing I can do to avoid the impending disaster that moving forward would be.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

^ Pull back and let the aliens blunder into your overwatch trap, or hunker down with your guys while one flanks and kills the one mind merging.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Viridiant posted:

So do I just have to blunder right into an enemy's Overwatch trap sometimes, or what? I'm on a UFO crash mission, and I'm on a map with nothing but half cover between me and the aliens that have been activated. Maybe one full cover but it's too far for me to get to in one turn. Furthermore, I'd also activate the Outsider by proceeding forward. I've been waiting for them to come to me for several rounds now, but one sectoid just keeps buffing the other who doesn't seem to be moving towards us at all.

I feel like there is absolutely nothing I can do to avoid the impending disaster that moving forward would be.
If they can see you and you're overwatching they won't move forwards. If you hunker everyone down or pull back then they might come out. Otherwise you could try sneaking someone around the edge of the map depending on the layout. Overwatch shots are less likely to hit a dashing soldier, so you could also try running your sturdiest dude past them to draw their fire and then move the rest up to better cover; although if you don't want to activate the Outsider that might not work so well.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Are the old aliens getting buffs in Enemy Within? Because so far the humans look ridiculously overpowered with the mechs and biotics.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Viridiant posted:

In this situation I would pull all my units back completely and sneak around to the opposite side of the UFO. If you don't activate any more pods go ahead and take out the Outsider. If the original alien pod you ran from hasn't attacked by then you can attack them from inside the UFO, which has a lot more Full Cover points.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Doflamingo posted:

Are the old aliens getting buffs in Enemy Within? Because so far the humans look ridiculously overpowered with the mechs and biotics.

They've said that enemies that show up after the Mechtoid will be buffed.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Yeah, they can't see me. I think I'll try to sneak around then. I'm nervous about activating another pod, especially since this will mean going across a road with nothing but a single car on it. But I guess it's better than nothing.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Hope this hasn't been posted here yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uMHNOuj5SU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Viridiant posted:

Yeah, they can't see me. I think I'll try to sneak around then. I'm nervous about activating another pod, especially since this will mean going across a road with nothing but a single car on it. But I guess it's better than nothing.

Do you have a support with smoke grenades? That could be an option.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Those MECs seemed a lot more useful than the Genemodded guys, 15 damage Kinetic fist :stare:

Only drawback they seemed to have was the no-cover thing (but high health/shield thingy so...) and low ammo for their main gun (on the other hand, flamethrower and kinetic fist...).

I guess Gene guys can be nasty once they got plasma gear :iiam:

Can MECs be mindcontrolled? I guess that would be a pretty hefty disadvantage late-game, compared to Gene-guys with immunity/feedback.

(3 Health Outsiders :v:)

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

So as far as I can tell, there is no gameplay advantage to keeping a soldier 'pure' right? Obviously the mechs are a different class with their own skill trees/niches, but it looks like anyone left with all their fleshy bits can be gene-modded with no negative repercussions.

I hope they're expanding the weapon selection for non-mech soldiers at least. I mean all this talk about buffing original aliens and mechtoids being utter bastards makes it sound like the original weapons are just going to end up feeling underpowered.

Also I know the guy said that some developers had done a no-modification run but I wonder what difficulty it's been on. You could probably make a decent stab of beating EU with only projectile weapons on Normal if you really wanted.

MechPlasma
Jan 30, 2013

quiggy posted:

Just started a new game. First map: Murder Street

:xcom:

e: And then sectoids activated without a cutscene and a car blew up for no reason. Yeah I'm thinking this wasn't meant to be.
A unique feature of Murder Street is that the aliens (or maybe it's just the first set) are pre-activated.

It demonstrates why pre-activated aliens are frustrating as BUTTS to fight.

Lotish posted:

So how is this "overuse of Meld may corrupt your soldiers" going to work? Like, is there a percent chance per upgrade a character will go berserk or betray you to the enemy?
Where'd you hear that Meld corrupts? I don't remember that.

Pimpmust posted:

Those MECs seemed a lot more useful than the Genemodded guys, 15 damage Kinetic fist :stare:
Considering their size, MECs are very likely going to use two soldier spots. Also, they're confirmed to be considerably tougher to make than genemods.

MechPlasma fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 4, 2013

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

MechPlasma posted:

Considering their size, MECs are very likely going to use two soldier spots. Also, they're confirmed to be considerably tougher to make than genemods.

They sure seemed to be using just 1 slot in that demo game :shrug:

Where have you read/heard that they'll be using two spots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Pimpmust posted:

(3 Health Outsiders :v:)

I was kinda bummed that an outsider appeared in that game, was expecting something new. They are really a boring enemy, especially seem so in the expansion. Even those two guys playing were unimpressed.

My hopes for EW is that they'll change the last mission somehow and rework last 1/3 of the game to not be boring. I wish there was more stuff you could do strategically but it seems like they're holding off reworking the geoscape for next inevitable expansion.

• Locked thread