Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

spikenigma posted:

Re-watched the awesome FlashPoint paradox. Martha Wayne becoming the joker was such a nice touch :aaa:

I've come to the horrible conclusion that most animated TV series for the next 5 years are going to suck donkey balls because they can't allow any character development, story or anything that might conflict with the ever-expanding counterpart movie universe and :airquote: confuse the audience :airquote: .

So it's all meaningless flashy action and/or forced comedy every 6 seconds to hide the fact that there's no substance.

I've come to this after trying to watch Agents of Smash, Avengers and Spiderman.

No Dan Turpin/Solomon Grundy/World of Cardboard/"You going to challenge me, boy? :smug: " moments anymore :smith:

Did you watch any of the last few DC animated series? Young Justice, Green Lantern? Any of the current Batman series, Beware the Batman?

All are full of character development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah it's only Marvel's animation thing that is being horrible right now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yo, Young Justice was awful.

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp

The Question IRL posted:

Did you watch any of the last few DC animated series? Young Justice, Green Lantern? Any of the current Batman series, Beware the Batman?

Young Justice is sadly finished.

Green Lantern is also finished. Loved Razor. I like to think that this probably happened when the blue lantern ring caught up with him : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zcy1SAEy9M.

Can't get past the animation from BTB. I've tried watching it.

So, yeah. Nothing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So you could get past the Animation on GL but not Batman?

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp

MonsterEnvy posted:

So you could get past the Animation on GL but not Batman?

Yep.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

The Question IRL posted:

Honestly I haven't seen that much character development from BtB, but it is only about six or so episodes in right now. Most of the plots are just "a thing happens" rather than "a thing happens, because of the thing that happened last time". The connections are only made through the subplot, which is somewhat slow-paced and based solely around Katana and her League of Assassins background.

I'd like to see more that isn't just little 2-minute cutaways between Batman driving around like it's GTA and/or yelling at his computer/phone/opponent. After all, superhero stories work best when they're accentuated by punching, not driven by it.

Young Justice and Green Lantern had a lot of that. Action that complemented the dialogue and the interpersonal relationships. They were good shows.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I'm trying to get into Young Justice because I loved Weisman's other work but the catchphrases, my God the catchphrases. Any episode I put on they're everywhere and there's always more of them. What the gently caress is "crash the mode" meant to be?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Nilbop posted:

I'm trying to get into Young Justice because I loved Weisman's other work but the catchphrases, my God the catchphrases. Any episode I put on they're everywhere and there's always more of them. What the gently caress is "crash the mode" meant to be?

Future slang! Although, more accurately, pretend future slang that Impulse made up based off his mission parameters, because in the future humanity is a subjugated slave-race and Bart wants to make sure that nobody knows he comes from the bleak post-cyberpocalypse where everything is terrible.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I will say Tim Curry is an absolute delight and I'm cheering his character on every time he appears. Crashing a shuttle launch to Mars because his viewers don't want to contact aliens and accusing the space program of being an overblown plan to "borrow a cup of sugar" from our neighbors is wonderful stuff.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nilbop posted:

I will say Tim Curry is an absolute delight and I'm cheering his character on every time he appears. Crashing a shuttle launch to Mars because his viewers don't want to contact aliens and accusing the space program of being an overblown plan to "borrow a cup of sugar" from our neighbors is wonderful stuff.

Hell yeah. Tim Curry as G. Gordon Godfrey was one of the high points of YG. (Almost at the level of Arte Johnson as Virman Vundabar in JLU.) Honestly, if you could ignore the cliche bullshit from the first season, it was a pretty good show. And despite the prevalence of "all according to plan", I always enjoy it when B and C-list villains are made actual threats. Sportsmaster? Yes, please.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Nilbop posted:

Only one character really had a catchphrase and in her case it was explained pretty well. Also, it stopped with season 2. I really liked Young Justice, even if it lost the plot quite a bit in season 2.

But I also like Beware the Batman, even if I would much prefer it with either the animation quality of Young Justice or at least the CGI quality of Star Wars: Clone Wars.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Decius posted:

Only one character really had a catchphrase and in her case it was explained pretty well.

Well, Robin had that annoying "overwhelmed/whelmed" poo poo going too, but it wasn't as much of a catchphrase.

ANYWAY, I notice people haven't been talking as much about the DC Nation shorts recently, so I thought they might have ended with YJ. I haven't been up early on a Saturday in a while until yesterday though, and they did a pretty bitchin' one about Shade, the Changing Man of all characters. Man, I wish we could just get a show of all these shorts (and that said show was on later in the day when I'd be conscious to watch it).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TwoPair posted:

Man, I wish we could just get a show of all these shorts (and that said show was on later in the day when I'd be conscious to watch it).
Not getting an Amethyst short, even if it was a 15 minute AS type deal, is criminal in my opinion.

What A DC Cartoon would be great. They actually did a great job appealing to girls (the Batgirl/Supergirl/WonderGirl shorts were great, as were the designs). But something like that would mean an investment into the series' they develop.

And, well, that'd just be retarded wouldn't it.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

FilthyImp posted:

Not getting an Amethyst short, even if it was a 15 minute AS type deal, is criminal in my opinion.

What A DC Cartoon would be great. They actually did a great job appealing to girls (the Batgirl/Supergirl/WonderGirl shorts were great, as were the designs). But something like that would mean an investment into the series' they develop.

And, well, that'd just be retarded wouldn't it.
Super Best Friends Forever is actually something DC is running with. There's a line of clothes for girls and they're making statues and merch for it. Not a cartoon, but they haven't forgotten it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So, true story.

I'm watching Batman at 2 AM, like I do almost every Saturday night. (In this case it's the episode of Beware the Batman with Metamorpho)
And then a bat flies into the room, while all this is happening.

So I point this out to my brother, and we look at each other, and there's only one thing we can really do at this point.

We both say "Yes Father, I shall become a bat!"

Not a word of a lie.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Man, I wish we could just get a show of all these shorts (and that said show was on later in the day when I'd be conscious to watch it).
In a just world, we would have gotten a full version of this instead of that awful Amazon pilot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHZKIVS3h2g

And Tales of Metropolis would make a fun series too.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh...oh my god. The Shade the Changing Man short was loving amazing.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Yeah, it was incredible. I thought Shade the Changing Man would be about a man who disguises himself, but I got a weird and wonderful mix between Psychonauts and Devil May Cry, Psychonauts being the stronger feeling of the two.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Supersonic Shine posted:

Yeah, it was incredible. I thought Shade the Changing Man would be about a man who disguises himself, but I got a weird and wonderful mix between Psychonauts and Devil May Cry, Psychonauts being the stronger feeling of the two.

Have you read the comic? You should read it.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Nilbop posted:

Teenagers are supposed to be annoying as poo poo.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Baron Bifford posted:

Teenagers are supposed to be annoying as poo poo.

That's a dumb excuse for what turned out to be an unpopular writing choice.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

WickedHate posted:

Oh...oh my god. The Shade the Changing Man short was loving amazing.
Here it is for people who haven't seen it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNJZqdrjEA4
My god its gorgeous :swoon:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

achillesforever6 posted:

I talk a lot about how I dislike DC, but my number one hatred of them is that this isn't a series.

I love the original comic and that short so much I would buy every book of DC's in exchange.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Just throwing this out there: given the massive amount of support the B:TAS thread had over in GBS, and considering that I have an entire effort-post drawn up (not written up yet, because I've been a bit short on time as of late), would it be OK if I were to make a DCAU thread over in TVIV? Because if any comic-book series deserves its own thread, it's that one.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Troy Queef posted:

Just throwing this out there: given the massive amount of support the B:TAS thread had over in GBS, and considering that I have an entire effort-post drawn up (not written up yet, because I've been a bit short on time as of late), would it be OK if I were to make a DCAU thread over in TVIV? Because if any comic-book series deserves its own thread, it's that one.

As a TVIV mod I say yes, go for it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Troy Queef posted:

Could you please include a note about why calling it the Timmverse is flawed and calling it the Diniverse is infuriating? I know that this is a little personal vendetta of mine, but the over-crediting of Dini just drives me crazy. I mean the guy already literally lives every aspect of a nerd's dream life including being as close to married to Zatanna as humanly possible. He shouldn't get credit when its due to other people.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Please don't. Marvel shows are too terrible to discuss and the sperging over the DC Nation/DCAU line will become insufferable.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Troy Queef posted:

Please do, I always like talking about the DCAU.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Timeless Appeal posted:

Could you please include a note about why calling it the Timmverse is flawed and calling it the Diniverse is infuriating? I know that this is a little personal vendetta of mine, but the over-crediting of Dini just drives me crazy. I mean the guy already literally lives every aspect of a nerd's dream life including being as close to married to Zatanna as humanly possible. He shouldn't get credit when its due to other people.

I will, plus a bit on why calling it the Romanoverse is much more acceptable.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Nitpick: Amazon is the name of a more recent pitch focusing on Wonder Woman's younger life and no pilot for it has been shot.

The abomination from David E. Kelley was I think just called Wonder Woman.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Batman thoughts:

I really liked the fight scenes in this one, especially the opening one in the limo, that was inventive

I don't like the magic sword. I realize it's just a mcguffin, but I don't see why it's worth anyone's time. So far it's been shown that it can kill a totally incapcitated opponent, only slower then a regular sword. Silver Monkey had it, but got beaten by ninja punches. Lady Shiva had it, but couldn't come close to beating Batman. I hope it's revealed that the league only wants it so they can auction it off at an incredible price due to it's archeological value

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chaltab posted:

Nitpick: Amazon is the name of a more recent pitch focusing on Wonder Woman's younger life and no pilot for it has been shot.

The abomination from David E. Kelley was I think just called Wonder Woman.

Yeah, the CW have put plans for Amazon (which I think is being pitched by Allan Heinberg) on hold and are developing a Flash series to spin off from their Green Arrow show instead.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I want to like Beware the Batman but it seems like every single episode Batman fails/the bad guy gets away. I mean, he's new to the job yeah but he seems incredibly incompetent at best.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Hypocrisy posted:

I want to like Beware the Batman but it seems like every single episode Batman fails/the bad guy gets away. I mean, he's new to the job yeah but he seems incredibly incompetent at best.

Hey, he did throw that mentally handicapped guy in jail before the show began.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

achillesforever6 posted:

Holy poo poo, that was amazing. Thanks for sharing, I would have had no idea that existed otherwise.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Batman thoughts:

Liked the episode up until they unveiled another goofy villain. Really thought the coniving mob attorney was going to have some sort of awesome contingency plan, but nope he just caught on fire. The first fight scene with the ghosts also looked amusingly similar to arkham asylum/city

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

joe football posted:

Batman thoughts:

Liked the episode up until they unveiled another goofy villain. Really thought the coniving mob attorney was going to have some sort of awesome contingency plan, but nope he just caught on fire. The first fight scene with the ghosts also looked amusingly similar to arkham asylum/city

I am guessing Rex will pop up again and work for Pyg in the future like he did in the comics. Anyway I liked the episode

Pennypunch
Jun 19, 2013

I've drawn you a bath.
I'm currently going through the animated DC shows and checking which ones I have at least given a shot so far. I noticed I've never even touched The Batman and I'm really unsure if I should.

I will most likely give it the four episode treatment before passing any proper judgement, but from what I've seen, the designs feel very toyetic. I don't even mind the anime vibe, but I can't help but feel that the poppy colors and the character designs look like "hip" toys for the new generation of kids. Brave and the Bold gave me the same feeling at times, though that at least had the excuse of unashamedly paying hommage to all the goofy traits of the Silver Age.

Are there any The Batman episodes in particular that represent the show well or should I just go ahead and watch the first four?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Pennypunch posted:

Are there any The Batman episodes in particular that represent the show well or should I just go ahead and watch the first four?

Just start with season 3 or 4.

• Locked thread