Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

Polo-Rican posted:

The first Robocop suit is literally one of the most iconic costumes in film history. Clunky was good for that film because the character wasn't agile, he was like a tank. Additionally, the big clunky made the movie more tragic - The cripple is crammed into this horrible, clanking robo-suit and is essentially stripped of all of his humanity, which he very slowly and painfully regains throughout the film. Sticking a dude in a very sleek and thin black suit isn't quite the same when you consider that angle.

Not judging the film, it could be good, who knows, but dissing the original suit is blasphemy!

To further speak on the original suit, it definitely invoked the sense of a Big American Car. It was like, he should have been fast and agile, but instead he's a Cadillac. I know that Peter Weller originally planned for a smoother, slinkier movement for Robocop, but I think what we got worked really well given the subtext of the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Peter Weller also said that he hated that fuckin' suit and almost had several severe cases of heatstroke during the filming of the movie.

Peter Weller is a champ.

DookieSandwich
Nov 14, 2012
Had a VHS copy of Robocop when I was little. Would watch and rewatch it constantly. Holy poo poo Murphy's death and hospital scene disturbed the gently caress out of me for the longest time. Can't help but dislike this remake.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
Oh god. That RoboCop trailer.

It seriously made me much more hopeful than I am comfortable with. The original is a cinema classic. They definitely aren't trying to recreate the original, and hopefully, it seemed like it anyways, trying to get the underlying message the original had. Michael Keaton came across more as Steve Jobs in that trailer than Kutcher did in a whole movie. He straight up went "iRoboCop".

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Deadpool posted:

I didn't see anything really wrong with the trailer at all. I doubt I'd see it in the theater, but that probably wasn't going to happen anyway. The suit itself looks good. Better than that clunky mess it used to be.

It looks ok. I thought the trailer would be much worse. Hope they bring his badass car back. That's all I wanted as a kid.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Oh god. That RoboCop trailer.

It seriously made me much more hopeful than I am comfortable with. The original is a cinema classic. They definitely aren't trying to recreate the original, and hopefully, it seemed like it anyways, trying to get the underlying message the original had. Michael Keaton came across more as Steve Jobs in that trailer than Kutcher did in a whole movie. He straight up went "iRoboCop".

Yeah, there's a few cute callbacks but it's pretty clear they went in a different direction, and I'm not so sure that's a bad thing. I love the original Robocop, I think it's an ageless piece of satire, but it looks like this is more specific to these times and I'm curious to see what -- if anything -- the movie has to say.

Now, I understand that Jose Padhila's experience on this film was apparently nightmarish and he was getting his rear end kicked by studio executives, but at the very least, the Sam Jackson character had echoes of the scenes with the political commentator in Elite Squad: The Enemy Within. So okay, I'll hold out some hope that his voice got through.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

If you thought that Gravity trailer was simply too good and you need a trailer to bring you back to reality, here, watch the first official trailer for the Robocop remake coming out next year! :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INmtQXUXez8

What if I like this trailer and think you are being whiny?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Yeah, but see, as much as I like this trailer, there are a LOT of people whom I respect that absolutely despise it. This includes Jeremy "Mr. Beaks" Smith, who is hands down the ONLY reason to visit AICN. It could be because he and his ilk can smell bullshit coming from farther away than I can, or his attachment to the original is too strong (which I certainly wouldn't fault him for, especially if Robocop played a huge role in his childhood).

Since I apparently need other people to make up my mind for me, the situation really sucks. :shrug:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wasn't Darren Aronofsky originally going to direct this? Man, that would've been so sweet :smith:

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. I just don't think this looks like Robocop and it doesn't seem like it'll come close to being as good as the original.

Even if it turns out alright, I still don't get the impression from that trailer that it's going to be a proper Robocop remake/reboot/reimagining/whatever the gently caress you want to call it.

The Total Recall remake was alright...and nothing more. It definitely wasn't as good as the original, and it wasn't even the kind of movie that had a bunch of cool moments that I still think about and discuss with friends and such. This trailer gives me that same kind of vibe. And if you're gonna remake a classic movie full of heart and make it something that looks just alright, well why even do it at all?

It's still a year out, though. Maybe the next trailer for it will look more interesting.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 6, 2013

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

DivisionPost posted:

Yeah, but see, as much as I like this trailer, there are a LOT of people whom I respect that absolutely despise it. This includes Jeremy "Mr. Beaks" Smith, who is hands down the ONLY reason to visit AICN. It could be because he and his ilk can smell bullshit coming from farther away than I can, or his attachment to the original is too strong (which I certainly wouldn't fault him for, especially if Robocop played a huge role in his childhood).

Since I apparently need other people to make up my mind for me, the situation really sucks. :shrug:

Mr. Beaks has been known to be wrong about things though. Him and Devin Faraci often latch onto opinions early and never drop them, regardless of the final product.

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B
I'm a fan of the Robocop series (even watched the lame tv series as a kid) and that trailer looks pretty loving bad. Robocop is the culmination of the 80s; executives doing cocaine on glass tables, technology being clunky, slow, buggy and industrial looking, the contrast of the bleak old detroit vs. the evil corporation, even the iconic blacked out ford taurus.

The trailer looks more like a cheap Iron Man rip off than Robocop.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
The pattern I'm seeing is "This trailer is bad because it isn't 80's Robocop."

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
The contemporary design aesthetics and political topicality are all but unavoidable. The bigger issue is the tone, but it's hard to read that accurately from a trailer.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I think the trailer is fine but some of the CGI is spotty, like when he jumps over a big wall or something and three-point lands.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Definitely get a "why bother" vibe from the Robocop trailer. Looks like a boring dime-a-dozen slick Hollywood action movie. Really surprised at all the positive responses.

(I saw the original Robocop for the first time a few years ago as a man in my twenties and liked it a regular amount, so I have zero nerd-love or remake-rage or whatever for it.)

Edit:

scary ghost dog posted:

I think the trailer is fine but some of the CGI is spotty, like when he jumps over a big wall or something and three-point lands.

Lordy, we're still doing that?

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 6, 2013

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Bitches leave!!!

Some of the best 40 seconds of thrash right here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox_y3dBGFeI

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DivisionPost posted:

The pattern I'm seeing is "This trailer is bad because it isn't 80's Robocop."
But like dundun said, a big reason the original worked so well is because it had so much of the 80s in it.

Yeah, a franchise that was awesome in the 80s and is still awesome today can be transplanted into the modern day, but that doesn't mean it should, especially when a big reason it's so awesome is because it's so heavily tied to the time period in which it was released. From what that trailer showed, it explores some of the same concepts as the original (albeit in different ways for some of them). But....I mean, come on, it's PG-13 for gently caress's sake. If you take the 80s satire out of the movie, at least leave in the ultraviolence for it to fall back on. With it being rated PG-13, even that won't be there.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
The thing about the trailer for RoboCop 2014 is that there's no hint of satire towards the era we live in. The original film had its tongue firmly in cheek, while the trailer for this one just looks like a big budget schlocky action fest (with possibly some Michael Keaton being awesome thrown in for good measure). So while there's a slight hint of satire (Let's go with black!), but it's not enough for me. Not to mention that Murphy getting blowed up loses the Christ allegory of the original.

If there had never been an original RoboCop film, then this would just be standard action fare. But, being a remake, it has a legacy to live up to.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Human Tornada posted:

Lordy, we're still doing that?

It's now called the "Iron Man" pose.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

But like dundun said, a big reason the original worked so well is because it had so much of the 80s in it.

Yeah, a franchise that was awesome in the 80s and is still awesome today can be transplanted into the modern day, but that doesn't mean it should, especially when a big reason it's so awesome is because it's so heavily tied to the time period in which it was released. From what that trailer showed, it explores some of the same concepts as the original (albeit in different ways for some of them). But....I mean, come on, it's PG-13 for gently caress's sake. If you take the 80s satire out of the movie, at least leave in the ultraviolence for it to fall back on. With it being rated PG-13, even that won't be there.

Agreed wholeheartedly. It's pretty much following the same script as the Red Dawn remake. That is to say, the conceptual linchpin of this movie seems to be "what if Robocop was made... in 2013!?" It appears on its face to be an utterly passionless exercise. We need a catch phrase in this thread for analyses that are self-conscious about the fact that it's based on 2 minutes of film (I suggest "IKIJAT" I know It's Just a Trailer), but I can't agree more with the people in this thread who have reacted with head scratches. So far the pitch is, he's Robocop... but this time the suit is black. That it's eschewed the ultra-violence is also a pretty big red flag at this point.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Ignoring that it's a RoboCop remake (I don't have a huge attachment to him/it anyway), I just thought the trailer was a snoozer and nothing about it grabbed me. Maybe the next one will be better.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Not to mention that Murphy getting blowed up loses the Christ allegory of the original.

Okay, every other complaint is at the very least understandable, but I have to call bullshit on this. The Christ allegory was in Robocop because it was a specific Verhoven tic. He's obsessed with the story of Christ and has said, repeatedly, that his dream project is to make a biopic of Christ's life. It was in there because he noticed the parallel and wanted to play to it; it has no other significance to the story.

If you're asking for a Christ allegory, you're asking Jose Padilha (EDIT: Spelled his name wrong) to copy Paul Verhoven instead of trying to find his own way and that's just not fair.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 6, 2013

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Removing the Christ allegory from Robocop is about as easy as separating the human remains of Alex Murphy from their cradle of metal and wire that forms the machineman.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Maarak posted:

Removing the Christ allegory from Robocop is about as easy as separating the human remains of Alex Murphy from their cradle of metal and wire that forms the machineman.

Yes, and as a friend of mine JUST pointed out, it hasn't been removed; Murphy still dies -- or I guess in this instance, his body is destroyed to the point where his wife certainly gives up on him -- and is later reborn. Verhoven was just blatant about it because Verhoven does subtle about as well as Elizabeth Berkley does simulated sex in a pool.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The Robocop remake trailer made the film look a lot better than I thought it was going to be. The "tactical" all-black version of Robocop looks like poo poo though. The silver "classic" suit looked great before Keaton had to gently caress it all up.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

I didn't grow up in the era, so this is kinda an honest question, but did the original Robocop trailer look all that different from trailers of its time? How easily could its satirical nature be determined in that time period?

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not too impressed with the trailer, but having compared it to the 80ies Robocop trailer I'm somewhat optimistic about the movie. If you watch the old trailer, it does little to suggest that the movie is a criticism of the 80ies American culture; it's just a big cool police robot kicking criminal rear end. Padilha is a great director and I'm willing to give him a chance with this. I hope it's just a bad trailer.

Pick Hard
Sep 10, 2011
The "Make him look tactical" line sold me on this new Robocop. I think it's going to be a lot more satirical than everyone's saying.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Pick Hard posted:

The "Make him look tactical" line sold me on this new Robocop. I think it's going to be a lot more satirical than everyone's saying.

Well maybe there's a whole lot going on in the movie that we haven't seen yet, but everyone outside of Michael Keaton looks completely serious-to-joyless in the trailer. Not just the main characters- even the scientists who I assume will fill out the background as they did in the original looked like they weren't in on the "joke".

How weird is it to pin your hopes on Michael Keaton?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

DeclaredYuppie posted:

How weird is it to pin your hopes on Michael Keaton?

Not weird at all. Keaton owns all of the bones.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I'd entrust my life to Michael Keaton.

That's how much I trust the guy.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
An entire generation(or more!) has forgotten how great Keaton is thanks to a decade lull in his career. Some recent stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNsLOLayZ2Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoKufWbP_L4

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

DivisionPost posted:

Or because the trailer was made at MGM and didn't accomplish what it needed to.

I think it looks like something I will watch though. I snuck into the theater when I was young and saw the original and I don't mind this direction at all. It would be worse to try to recreate the satire of a different time.

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

scary ghost dog posted:

Yeah. Something about it screams Bollywood-level cgi and cinematography. Like they just said gently caress it and farmed it out.

No amount of impeccably clean cgi can hope to replace dudes erupting in practical gibs.

Not to mention hoping to up the social commentary of Verhoven, who only gets better with age. I've come to think he was insanely ahead of his time, but also unsafe in a way that we won't see again in mainstream films until the current model of AAA rehashes collapses.

Al Nipper fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Sep 6, 2013

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm trying not to judge the Robocop remake by comparison to its original, but what hits me immediately about the trailer is that Robo just looks like a guy in a fancy suit, not a ruined man grafted onto a metal construction. The intact hand isn't helping though I expect it'll be relevant to the plot. I feel like it's going to lack the tragedy that makes Robo more than just a generic action hero.

On the other hand, that's probably not the stuff that makes it to the trailer. But right now I don't feel like it's going to be worth watching and will wait for some reviews. "Passionless" is an apt description.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

davidspackage posted:

I'm trying not to judge the Robocop remake by comparison to its original, but what hits me immediately about the trailer is that Robo just looks like a guy in a fancy suit, not a ruined man grafted onto a metal construction. The intact hand isn't helping though I expect it'll be relevant to the plot. I feel like it's going to lack the tragedy that makes Robo more than just a generic action hero.

The hand is reportedly some kind of legal loophole thing, its permissible to use robots in law enforcement so long as a human hand pulls the trigger.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Am I a sadist for wanting that hand to get blown off at some critical point?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

massive spider posted:

The hand is reportedly some kind of legal loophole thing, its permissible to use robots in law enforcement so long as a human hand pulls the trigger.

Hah, that's great.

The trailer is cut in a bland way, but the actual material seems fine. Good cast, good director, hints at some good satire. I'll give it a chance.

Marketing needs to find a better angle though. I don't think I'd pay much attention if I wasn't familiar with the director or property.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PaganGoatPants posted:

It looks ok. I thought the trailer would be much worse. Hope they bring his badass car back. That's all I wanted as a kid.

There are few four door cars that are less badass than a Ford Taurus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Pick Hard posted:

It's too early to tell, but this trailer hints at more satire than the trailer for the original Robocop. I'm also intrigued because it looks like it might actually raise discussion about Drones. Finally, I want this movie to be awesome because it has Michael Keaton all over the trailer and that man deserves a god drat hit.

• Locked thread