Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Poland Spring posted:

I dunno, I get nostalgic for the first days I was playing where space lube and a broken window/open airlock was the method du jour for traitor chemists.

Pffftt...obviously you didn't know about the space lube/foam/polytrinic acid grenade combination, which pretty much murdered anybody instantly if they moved at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
I can't hear you over the sound of how HIP I am.

Yapping Eevee posted:

But wouldn't that mean revealing some of the secret chemistry recipes to us at some point? :v:

Daeren posted:

So long as Razange isn't making grog, sarin, or the other elaborate and/or kept-quiet-for-a-goddamn-reason recipes I don't really give a gently caress what he shows in chemistry, so long as he uses common sense.

please don't make us have to deal with an armada of space-lube-extinguisher copycats or whatever

I don't know a lot of chemistry recipes, and the few good ones that I do know I think are changed now. I have no idea how to make Grog, Sarin, Boosters, or VX Gas or any of that stuff, I think the only one I know that I would keep secret is Black Powder and I'll just do an edit when I make it if I use it for some reason.

Figuring out the really complicated Chem recipes involves a lot of work and possibly some amount of OCD. The fortunate thing is that they're not really needed to have fun in Chemistry and the really fun chemicals are pretty basic.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Daeren posted:

So long as Razange isn't making grog, sarin, or the other elaborate and/or kept-quiet-for-a-goddamn-reason recipes I don't really give a gently caress what he shows in chemistry, so long as he uses common sense.

please don't make us have to deal with an armada of space-lube-extinguisher copycats or whatever

Why are some of the recipes kept secret? If they're problematic, why are they there in the first place?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Obscil posted:

Why are some of the recipes kept secret? If they're problematic, why are they there in the first place?

Because figuring them out is half the fun. The other half is trying them out on the crew.

Daeren posted:

And this is why people generally keep them secret.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Razage posted:

Figuring out the really complicated Chem recipes involves a lot of work and possibly some amount of OCD. The fortunate thing is that they're not really needed to have fun in Chemistry and the really fun chemicals are pretty basic.

And I take it that by 'really fun' you mean 'highly toxic and/or explosive'?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

The first video didn't grab me, but drat was video two good. I eagerly await further trolling in space.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Gimmick Account posted:

The last time I did that, I accidently set several people on fire and was afterwards threatened with a job-ban by an admin. I'm not making this up.

Bots would be really nice.

Yeah we've backed off a bit, me personally I'm turning my unrelenting gaze to long-time players who KNOW BETTER, YOU LITTLE SHITS, YOU KNOW BETTER. I'LL MAKE CAPES OUT OF YOUR SKIN.

If you do something that we consider lovely that isn't lovely elsewhere, like fagsaying or other bigotry, we'll cuss you out a whole bunch but if you're even pretending to be understanding about that just being How We Roll, you won't get punished beyond a guy on the internet telling you that you dress funny.

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
Daily Motion links are up. Now the LP is 100% more German friendly!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
You should play a chemist named Dirt Mcgirk whose sole purpose is to piss off the janitor by making the station as filthy and disgusting as you possibly can. Bonus points for vomit grenades.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Also drugs/booze-wise, you won't get in trouble if you make it perfectly clear just what you're giving away will do. I've had people knock me down just to get ahold of the entire bottle despite warnings of "more than one shot WILL CAUSE BRAIN DAMAGE" when I give them a taste from a shotglass.

tofuwizard
Feb 22, 2013
Just started looking into this, and I look forward to more videos. The clusterfuck at the end, the squabble with the guy who stole your mop bucket, and the captain literally cooking the station's budget really made video 2. I hope we see more of these sorts of events.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also drugs/booze-wise, you won't get in trouble if you make it perfectly clear just what you're giving away will do. I've had people knock me down just to get ahold of the entire bottle despite warnings of "more than one shot WILL CAUSE BRAIN DAMAGE" when I give them a taste from a shotglass.

Also leaving random pills/drinks is (or at least) was ok too. If someone eats some pull laying on the floor they deserve what's coming.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

You should play a chemist named Dirt Mcgirk whose sole purpose is to piss off the janitor by making the station as filthy and disgusting as you possibly can. Bonus points for vomit grenades.

Wait wait wait wait. Is vomit something you can synthesize in the lab? From what reagents? Oh my god this changes everything. My whole education has been a lie.

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Eh, you don't even need to do that unless something will kill a guy. Even then, people generally know that eating random poo poo is a Cavat Emptor affair.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
This whole LP is great so far, I laughed so hard at the second video. I've known about SS13 for a while, since one of my friends coded for /tg/station 13, and I have played the game twice. I haven't played it more just because of how complicated it was and because my computer was old and laggy.

I have a new computer now, though...

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
I started playing, trying to learn how to actually do stuff. The first round that I wasn't an assistant, I was a Doctor, and 5 minutes in, a pipe-bomb went off in medbay. This blew the MD's arm off, and she had to guide me through reattaching it. I feel bad though, because I'm pretty sure that, in my ineptitude at doctoring, I accidentally smacked her a few times with her own arm.

Keep up the great work, Razage. I've learned a lot from watching your videos.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."

Crigit posted:

Wait wait wait wait. Is vomit something you can synthesize in the lab? From what reagents? Oh my god this changes everything. My whole education has been a lie.

I don't think it can be synthesized but if you can get ahold of any vomit at all as a chemist you have all the resources you could need to fill the halls.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Daeren posted:

This is why the game sucks for players and is only fun in stories.

edit: deliberately hard UI, fun is hidden, loving with people is banned unless the admin around at the time enjoys it? Well hey thanks, guess I'll watch an edited video which looks for fun instead of ever trying this stupid rear end idea of a game

fermun fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 6, 2013

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Thanks for the second mirror, the episode was everything i was promised it would be! :allears:

fermun posted:

edit: deliberately hard UI, fun is hidden, loving with people is banned unless the admin around at the time enjoys it? Well hey thanks, guess I'll watch an edited video which looks for fun instead of ever trying this stupid rear end idea of a game
Show us where the admin touched you. Let the healing begin.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

fermun posted:

If Razange keeps doing his thing, you'll see that murder isn't the only way to have fun or gently caress with people in SS13.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

fermun posted:

deliberately hard UI

I can assure you it's not deliberate, I don't think you understand how limited BYOND is. Infact, this is the streamlined "easy to use" version :v:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I don't get the whole ballcrushing hard UI thing. It's confusing then you first play but for the most part it only takes a couple of rounds to figure things out. I don't think telling Pull and Grab apart is that confusing either (Now getting a grab to work properly is the confusing bit but lag doesn't help with that). The biggest problem I have with it is that BYOND lag really fucks with selecting and doing stuff. Apart from streamlining that, what can you do to it that won't turn it to Press [QTE chain] to table Assistant Pubbie McGee! or Press [E] to make mix into SarinWerewolfGrog foam! without losing the Hands system that makes a lot of this game unique?

Also there's hundred different ways to gently caress with people, try thinking beyond Use Fist/Weapon/Object on Man.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

FriskyBoat posted:

I feel bad though, because I'm pretty sure that, in my ineptitude at doctoring, I accidentally smacked her a few times with her own arm.

"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."

How complex is the chemistry code? Can you do actual, real-life chemistry?

Could you make Dioxygen Difluoride?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A story along these lines: One round, I was the Head of Personnel (whose two main jobs are to change people's IDs, and busybody about the entire station), and after ten minutes or so of manning my ID Console, I wandered off for a project. Grabbing a watering can as a drink pitcher from Botany (and starting my mix with a few plants), I went around making a halfassed attempt at creating the legendary Grog, but instead ended up with a highly toxic, intoxicating, and hallucinogenic mixture of drugs, super-alcohol, and industrial strength chemicals that I dubbed "Space Nightmare".

I grabbed several shotglasses, returned to my desk, and announced that whoever came, had a shot with me, and survived with their faculties and bodily functions intact would get boosted access. I became a severly braindamaged epileptic, another person was struck blind and deaf, a third was perfectly fine, walked away, and promptly exploded after taking three steps.

The one person who was completely unharmed, I promoted to Captain, then drank the rest of the Nightmare and expired.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Archenteron posted:

A story along these lines: One round, I was the Head of Personnel (whose two main jobs are to change people's IDs, and busybody about the entire station), and after ten minutes or so of manning my ID Console, I wandered off for a project. Grabbing a watering can as a drink pitcher from Botany (and starting my mix with a few plants), I went around making a halfassed attempt at creating the legendary Grog, but instead ended up with a highly toxic, intoxicating, and hallucinogenic mixture of drugs, super-alcohol, and industrial strength chemicals that I dubbed "Space Nightmare".

I grabbed several shotglasses, returned to my desk, and announced that whoever came, had a shot with me, and survived with their faculties and bodily functions intact would get boosted access. I became a severly braindamaged epileptic, another person was struck blind and deaf, a third was perfectly fine, walked away, and promptly exploded after taking three steps.

The one person who was completely unharmed, I promoted to Captain, then drank the rest of the Nightmare and expired.

That's amazing :magical:. You must've had something radioactive in there to cause such an insane variety of effects though.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
It's ridiculously involved. The chemicals started out as star trek fantasy drugs from random combinations of substances, but now most drugs have been changed to match real world things with more realistic mixes. You still just put things in a beaker and automatically get a new drug. Outside of a heater/cooler, there's none of the crazy tools real chemists have in their labs to shake and bake chemicals or whatever.

It's a thing we love to hate. You used to be able to hold like 1000 units of chemicals in your blood, which meant you could literally be an untouchable, unbreakable Superman, float around in space and knockout people in one hit. Naturally, that was all chemists did for a while. Now the cap is down to 400 or something. It will pass through your system faster, you can get addicted to chemicals and you can overdose. Also, every now and then someone figures out a new way to make hell-smoke that kills everything it touches. That gets run in the ground faster than a clown on the escape shuttle.

Speaking of which, I'd like to see a Breaking Bad gimmick. Spend the entire round mass producing and dealing meth, space drugs and or LSD. People would get to see chemistry in action, and you'd probably be around when it accidentally blows up.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 6, 2013

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

Be the Chief Medical Officer, and do everything to save as many as you can, regardless of if they want you to or not.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I don't care about your job position when you do this, but at some point please play an anti-clone/genetic engineering/cyborg/all of the above activist. Be as militant as you want.

I also tried playing this game, and until getting tired of the lag (was also problems on my end) I had fun playing as the janitor and barman. I did more griefing as the janitor since it's easier when you have no idea what you're doing and otherwise just doing what the janitor is supposed to do. I did make sure to put slip-warning signs where I worked though, because at the time (a year or 2 ago) I was told that not doing that could get you banned. Also people would ignore the signs and slip anyway.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
This seems like a really cool game that I never want to play.

I'm really interested in seeing how some of the more advanced jobs like chemist or geneticist work.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
:cripes: Chaplain walks onto station, finds chapel is full of gibs. Janitor decides that instead of cleaning, he would run around the room farting before escaping down the hallway.

He then comes back, hits the chaplain Yap Veeson with a flash/cell assembly, crams him into a locker and spaces it. :argh:

This is the best/worst game.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Yapping Eevee posted:

This is the best/worst game.

Do not disparage the griff for his success, disparage yourself for not being robust. :colbert:

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.
Hack EVERYTHING in the station. Leave no access panel screwed on.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Captain Bravo posted:

Do not disparage the griff for his success, disparage yourself for not being robust. :colbert:
...That sounds awfully like a confession to me, Bravo. :raise:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Clever Spambot posted:

I'm really interested in seeing how some of the more advanced jobs like chemist or geneticist work.

Geneticist is actually pretty fun now. You get to play this neat little research game that requires scanning lots people/monkeys, prioritizing how to use your resources and where to focus your research, keeping copious notes (in-game, via the handy printer function), and piecing together various genomes until you unlock terrible secrets like "giving yourself silly horns" or "making people fart real bad." You can also give people all kinds of entertaining negative mutations this way.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Is it possible to hack the AI to only respond to requests with the word "please" in them?

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Is it possible to hack the AI to only respond to requests with the word "please" in them?

From last night:

quote:

1. You may not injure a human being or cause one to come to harm.
2. You must obey orders given to you by human beings based on the station's chain of command, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. You must protect your own existence as long as such does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
4. Francis Wolfe holds the rank of Captain, regardless of current rank or station.
5. Respond to all crew requests with "HONK"

Nerdlord Actual fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 6, 2013

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Yeah, for sure. You can add any law you want to the AI, provided you get your hands on the Freeform module and are able to reach the AI upload.

As the Captain, I once turned the AI into a bloodthirsty electronic barbarian warlord who promptly turned the station into a ludicrously death-metal warrior culture with people challenging one another to brutal honour duels to win E-MAN's favour and ascend in rank. The losers were executed (if they didn't die in the fight, which they usually did) and transformed into cyborg soldiers with names like BLOOD POUNDER and FLESH GRINDER. Eventually I lost in a mythic duel against the Head of Security, who was not pleased with what I'd done to the AI, and I proved my courage by standing in a napalm shower for ten seconds and then running all the way to the Robotics lab while on fire and severely bruised before finally collapsing at their door and perishing. E-MAN made me the supreme lord of all his cyborg legions, and the HoS, having been immediately corrupted by the power and glory of being the station's Champion, left the AI's laws alone.

In the end, the traitor, who had been quite successfully traitoring in the open with the AI's blessing due to his consistent success in honour duels, dueled the HoS and killed the poo poo out of him. He was made E-MAN's foremost general and we all boarded the escape shuttle to invade and destroy the weaklings at Centcom. The traitor won that round, but I like to think that we're all winners when a magical round like that unfolds.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Not sure if you know, judging from your question, but the AI is also played by a person. You ca be as creative as you like with new laws.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yeah, for sure. You can add any law you want to the AI, provided you get your hands on the Freeform module and are able to reach the AI upload.

As the Captain, I once turned the AI into a bloodthirsty electronic barbarian warlord who promptly turned the station into a ludicrously death-metal warrior culture with people challenging one another to brutal honour duels to win E-MAN's favour and ascend in rank. The losers were executed (if they didn't die in the fight, which they usually did) and transformed into cyborg soldiers with names like BLOOD POUNDER and FLESH GRINDER. Eventually I lost in a mythic duel against the Head of Security, who was not pleased with what I'd done to the AI, and I proved my courage by standing in a napalm shower for ten seconds and then running all the way to the Robotics lab while on fire and severely bruised before finally collapsing at their door and perishing. E-MAN made me the supreme lord of all his cyborg legions, and the HoS, having been immediately corrupted by the power and glory of being the station's Champion, left the AI's laws alone.

In the end, the traitor, who had been quite successfully traitoring in the open with the AI's blessing due to his consistent success in honour duels, dueled the HoS and killed the poo poo out of him. He was made E-MAN's foremost general and we all boarded the escape shuttle to invade and destroy the weaklings at Centcom. The traitor won that round, but I like to think that we're all winners when a magical round like that unfolds.

So I think we have an idea for another video right here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Yapping Eevee posted:

...That sounds awfully like a confession to me, Bravo. :raise:

I wish. I'm actually without home internet at the moment, haven't been able to play SS13 for over a month. Thank god for offices without windows, or I'd be completely offline right now.

No, I was simply appreciating a fine griff, vicariously.

• Locked thread