Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Sovy Kurosei posted:

If you combined the results from the NDP and Liberals from the last election you would wind up with 20% of the popular vote. To be fair both parties aren't really effective and I don't see that changing. The Liberal Party of Alberta is pretty much a PC dumping ground; their current party leader used to be a cabinet minister in the PC party.
Funnily enough I actually know Raj Sherman (did some emergency training shifts with him prior to him entering politics). His political views have always been liberal, or at least to the far left of the PC spectrum; as I understand it he joined the PC party because he felt (with some justification) that the only way to make a difference in policy was to join the governing party. And then he got elected at about the same time that Ron Liepert was health minister and I think that led to some severe cognitive dissonance, and the rest is history.

I don't think he's done particularly well as leader, mind; he's not great at articulating what differences the Liberals have from the Tories and why they should form the government. He's a much better doctor than a politician.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Hehr would probably make a better party leader, since he actually has ideas and is quite vocal about promoting and explaining them. Also, he's a really nice guy (he lives in my building and I see him pretty regularly when parliament isn't in session), even if I don't agree with him all the time. Sherman's a git, and I don't think he'd make a very good premier at all.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Coylter posted:

You come in here and throw every Quebecers in the same boat.
*Is* there a diversity of opinion in Quebec on this? I'm not trying to provoke, I'm honestly curious; the media reports seem to indicate a broad consensus in Quebec in support of the values charter.

quote:

You then climb onto you're golden throne of pure Anglo-saxon morality and start preaching. Well guess what your emperor has no clothes. Have you looked at the disproportionate amount of native in YOUR prisons? Oh maybe you forgot how utterly racist and condescending English Canadians were in the past with the french. A few decades ago, no french Canadian held leading position in our own companies. Boss was synonymous with English. Up until a few decades ago WE were the INFERIOR race because we mixed with the natives. We all know how much you pure English morality holders like the Natives.

Interesting how in such a little time we've come from that to actually being ridiculously called "nazis" and "racist" for comments that do not even scratch the surface of what you fuckwits did a few decades ago and still do.
Yes, Canada has a horrendous record (and still does) with how it treats its First Nations people. And the Quiet Revolution needed to happen and it's a good thing that the French population of Quebec is able to work and control corporations in their native tongue.

That does not excuse enshrining racism in law - and restricting people from wearing religious symbols* in public life counts as racism. The English phrase is "two wrongs don't make a right."

*except crosses

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Albino Squirrel posted:

*Is* there a diversity of opinion in Quebec on this? I'm not trying to provoke, I'm honestly curious; the media reports seem to indicate a broad consensus in Quebec in support of the values charter.

Yes and no. Montreal is a very multicultural city, and for the most part everyone does get along very well. Still, there are some major issues with things like institutional racism in the police force that need to be addressed. I've also heard stories of racism in the business community (anti-black, in case you're curious) that I found quite shocking; comments to the effect of my friend's boss telling him, when he was assigned to lead the Calgary office of his company, "You think Calgary will accept a black boss? That would never fly here."

I think the constant concern about protecting and promoting French culture has led to some very ugly blind spots with regard to racism in Quebecois society, and I think progressive Quebecers really need to examine that and work to change it instead of becoming defensive about it and shutting down.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Albino Squirrel posted:

Yes, Canada has a horrendous record (and still does) with how it treats its First Nations people. And the Quiet Revolution needed to happen and it's a good thing that the French population of Quebec is able to work and control corporations in their native tongue.

That does not excuse enshrining racism in law - and restricting people from wearing religious symbols* in public life counts as racism. The English phrase is "two wrongs don't make a right."

*except crosses

The problem is that in quebec there is a very small oligarchy that owns the press in the whole province. Le journal de montreal and the journal de quebec are both right based and populist trash newspapers that are free in macdonalds for example and have great coverage in corner stores. It's owned by Quebecor, the people that have brought Sun tv to Canada so you have an idea of what kind of newspaper we are talking about. Next you have la presse and le devoir. Le devoir is generally the one that is recognized as the best of the bunch but you might disagree.

PT6A gleefully takes every occasion he can to bash quebec so you might want to put him on ignore or pass along whenever the subject comes up. His probations have mostly been related to french language derails anyways.

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009
Of course there are differing opinions, but like it was pointed out most medias are one sided. Quebec solidaire is an example of a good left leaning progressive party.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Odddzy posted:

PT6A gleefully takes every occasion he can to bash quebec so you might want to put him on ignore or pass along whenever the subject comes up. His probations have mostly been related to french language derails anyways.

Instead of bringing up what I've said in the past, about Quebec's language laws (which have nothing to do with this particular debate, really), why don't you argue how the current actions of Quebec's duly elected government are anything but horribly racist bullshit? All I'm saying is I saw the signs of racism long before the government felt it had a sufficient mandate from the public to be offensively racist as a matter of policy. Turns out I was vindicated on this point, would you disagree?

EDIT: And just so I don't have words put in my mouth; I don't think all Quebecois are racist. I think the PQ is racist, and I think the powers behind it have always been racist, and I suspect they always will be. Given that they form an elected government, they speak for a lot of Quebecois, so I'm using that as evidence that a significant plurality of Quebecois hold similarly racist views.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 8, 2013

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

EDIT: And just so I don't have words put in my mouth; I don't think all Quebecois are racist. I think the PQ is racist, and I think the powers behind it have always been racist, and I suspect they always will be. Given that they form an elected government, they speak for a lot of Quebecois, so I'm using that as evidence that a significant plurality of Quebecois hold similarly racist views.

First past the post, son. No politician or party represents a majority of anything in this country.

e: oh you edited your post. "... a plurality of anything in this country."

Sovy Kurosei
Oct 9, 2012
Nenshi Naheed, mayor of Calgary, and everyone's favourite gypsy hating historical revisionist Ezra Levant are having a fight over Twitter.

It all started when Ezra Levant wrote an editorial. I think a lot of people in this thread might get a kick out of reading through it here: "Why did the city of Calgary give $340,000 to an anti-oilsands lobby group called the Pembina Institute?"

A user on twitter mentioned the article, Nenshi replied, Ezra Levant had his say and it got out of hand from there: https://twitter.com/nspector4/status/376653071033458688

The back and forth breaks off from the main thread so to see more of it you can check out the two guys Twitter pages at https://twitter.com/ezralevant and https://twitter.com/nenshi

There are a lot of Ezra Levant tears from him crying about his loaded question getting shut down by the oldest loaded question in the book. :smug:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Uhhh that's a pretty stupid twitter slapfight, and as much as you might like Nenshi I don't see how he's coming out on top here. Over Ezra Levant, no less.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 8, 2013

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The suggestion that Alberta is less racist than Quebec because they elected a brown mayor is laughable.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Coylter posted:

You then climb onto you're golden throne of pure Anglo-saxon morality and start preaching. Well guess what your emperor has no clothes. Have you looked at the disproportionate amount of native in YOUR prisons? Oh maybe you forgot how utterly racist and condescending English Canadians were in the past with the french. A few decades ago, no french Canadian held leading position in our own companies. Boss was synonymous with English. Up until a few decades ago WE were the INFERIOR race because we mixed with the natives. We all know how much you pure English morality holders like the Natives.

Interesting how in such a little time we've come from that to actually being ridiculously called "nazis" and "racist" for comments that do not even scratch the surface of what you fuckwits did a few decades ago and still do.

Not that that's what you are actually saying, but if you set the minimum bar for "race relations & decency" to the worst the English speaking world was capable of so far, why even bother having a bar at all? Everyone short of literally Hitler is going to be comfortably step above it anyway.

For the record I am strongly in favor of continued protection of Quebec culture and special treatment of Quebec as a province.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

As are a great many sensible people, but promoting Quebec culture and prohibiting everything else are two very different things. Racism is not something we should allow in civilized society, especially if it's being introduced because the people who were oppressed are now in power and want to take a piece out of the other guy.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Can we all at least agree that Yukonners are decidedly less than human and should be treated as such? I'm going to write my MP a letter and ask him to call a vote on revoking the human rights of everyone who lives in Whitehorse, I expect it will pass unanimously.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yukon people are weird. The first nations up there do first nationy kind of stuff but like then you see a convoy of amish in motorhomes slowly making their way along the highway.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
The Yukon's okay by me.

However, if someone were to craft legislation banning the existence of the town of Smiths Falls, Ontario...

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
This was produced awhile ago but I think this is the only documentary about Sarnia, Ontario in existence.

It's Vice, so you should know what to expect, but the First Nations communities were so invisible to everyone who lived there.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 8, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

JohnnyCanuck posted:

The Yukon's okay by me.

However, if someone were to craft legislation banning the existence of the town of Smiths Falls, Ontario...

Oh sweet, where do I submit my proposal to set Chatham/Kent on fire for 100 years?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Can we all at least agree that Yukonners are decidedly less than human and should be treated as such? I'm going to write my MP a letter and ask him to call a vote on revoking the human rights of everyone who lives in Whitehorse, I expect it will pass unanimously.

Dude, those are toques they're wearing, not turbans.

Edit: Just occurred to me the proposed Quebec law would outlaw the wearing of colanders and robes by Pastafarians and Jedi. I think I see some interesting protests coming up...

Hexigrammus fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 8, 2013

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Baloogan posted:

Yukon people are weird. The first nations up there do first nationy kind of stuff but like then you see a convoy of amish in motorhomes slowly making their way along the highway.

Amish in motorhomes? Am I missing something here. :psyduck:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Eej posted:

I dunno, they had like the buckle hats, weird dresses and like oldendays clothes. And 6 or so big rear end motorhomes.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Some people just like to slip into some buckle-clothing and be comfortable. I prefer a button fly.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Eej posted:

Modern Anabaptist-descended movements have a lot of differences between them, though they do share a few similarities, which can often mean people mistake them as being the sort of "stereotypical" Amish that's in public consciousness. Most Hutterites in Alberta, for example, practice plain dress and communal ownership but have no objection to using most modern conveniences/automobiles/etc.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yukon ho.

Its worth a trip.

Basically anyone you meet is insane in some fashion.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Baloogan posted:

Yukon ho.

Its worth a trip.

Basically anyone you meet is insane in some fashion.
I mean, you'd have to be.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

THC posted:

The suggestion that Alberta is less racist than Quebec because they elected a brown mayor is laughable.

Would you like to provide an argument, or would you prefer to just talk out your rear end?

I mean, for all the lovely attitudes around here, at least our elected government isn't trying to create racist laws to drive out the evil non-Christians, and I sincerely doubt any police force in our province loves to harass and beat up blacks more than that Montreal police department. That really ought to count for something.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

Would you like to provide an argument, or would you prefer to just talk out your rear end?

I mean, for all the lovely attitudes around here, at least our elected government isn't trying to create racist laws to drive out the evil non-Christians, and I sincerely doubt any police force in our province loves to harass and beat up blacks more than that Montreal police department. That really ought to count for something.

I'd just like to point out that the only place I've heard of any white supremacist organizing going on in the last 5 years has been Alberta.

I do not believe, however, that this makes Alberta more racist generally yhan any other province.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

My mom's side of the family is from Québec, and they love to talk about how much more progressive Québécois are compared to the Anglos. Almost like they're creating a comparison that flatters themselves so that they can feel morally righteous, in spite of Québec's own problems! Maybe it doesn't matter who's more racist, given that people are still being harmed by it? I swear, the most tedious conversation any group of progressives can have is how good [thing A] is compared to [thing B]. It's just a bunch of self-congratulatory bullshit to help feed some idiotic sense of superiority.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
We should destroy all of central BC, or just remove the lovely people in loving Prince George and poo poo because it's really pretty :swoon:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I'd just like to point out that the only place I've heard of any white supremacist organizing going on in the last 5 years has been Alberta.

That's horrid, and I suspect the vast, vast majority of Albertans would agree with me that white supremacists need to be removed like a cancerous tumour. But I'm willing to accept that it is a problem that exists within my province, along with any number of other lovely attitudes and work to solve the problem, instead of running away from the problem and ignoring it or denying that it exists.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Right after the Kevin Vermette murders in Kitimat people used to say he must be hanging out with the white supremacists up in Stewart (because he shot a group of Portuguese kids), which apparently everyone knew was full of racists or cult members or whatever. I don't think I've been there since 1997 so I couldn't say for sure.

This is of course separate from the garden variety racists in the area mad at the Portuguese or the Sikhs or the natives or whoever's ruining the neighborhood this week.

I never had that much problem with the people in Prince George, other than that at the time they had a problem with university students making noise and fighting in bars and generally keeping the economy afloat.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

PT6A posted:

That's horrid, and I suspect the vast, vast majority of Albertans would agree with me that white supremacists need to be removed like a cancerous tumour. But I'm willing to accept that it is a problem that exists within my province, along with any number of other lovely attitudes and work to solve the problem, instead of running away from the problem and ignoring it or denying that it exists.

What makes you think that Quebecois are "running away from the problem and ignoring it or denying that it exists"?

There's antifa movements, annual giant manifestations against police brutality, and our publicly racist personalities are ridiculed and mocked.

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I do not believe, however, that this makes Alberta more racist generally yhan any other province.

There was a white supremacist rally earlier this year in London, Ontario. From what I understand, they were gutsy enough to go out in public, but too cowardly to go out during the day or in a busy area. I posted a picture I found of it in the pics thread when it occurred. I'll go find it.

e: Here they are. April 13th, 2013.

Huge Liability fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 9, 2013

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I love how most of them outside are wearing masks. Real pride there

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

QMI News Agency posted:

Unifor, Canada's newest union, has called for the minimum wage in Ontario to be increased to $14 per hour.

The union's Jim Stanford and Jordan Brennan presented its case to a panel studying minimum wages in the province Friday.

Unifor says the current minimum wage - $10.25 per hour - has been frozen for three-and-a-half years, "during which time its real purchasing power has eroded by over seven per cent.

"It is terribly unfair that Ontario's lowest-income workers have experienced such a significant reduction in their real wages, at a time when working families need every penny," Stanford said in a statement.

The Unifor submission also endorsed the concept of a "living wage," which is a wage sufficient to allow a family of four, with two wage-earners, to pay for the basic necessities of family life.

Unifor says studies have estimated the living wage in Ontario to be around $18 per hour, "and so increasing the statutory minimum to $14 must be only the first step of a broader strategy required to ensure all Ontario workers can enjoy decent living standards."

The super-union - comprising more than 300,000 former members of the Canadian Auto Workers union and the Communications, Energy and Paperworkers union - was founded at the end of August.

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

Alright, I've been worn down sufficiently by this thread: watch old uncle Tom not utter a loving word about this and our labour minister break out some of the hardest goddamned busting techniques that our likely unprepared Unions have ever seen should they even breathe a word about taking action to make this happen.

And watch as in a bit I wring my hands apologetically because hey at least the NDP didn't come out and condemn the idea like the liberals right guys?

There is no adequate :bitter: emoticon.

hey can you guess that I followed the Australian election

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I love how most of them outside are wearing masks. Real pride there

I don't know very much about white supremacy movements but they sure are wearing a lot of black.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Look, white pride guys, let's be honest, here. You're neo-Nazis, a gross knockoff of the worst political movement on the planet. You're basically admitting you will never be happy or successful - you're the bottom of a tiny barrel inside another, larger barrel's bottom. Are you really worried that someone is going to trace your lumpy, pale face back to this meet-up during a job interview? Just fuckin' go for it, man. gently caress it.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Dr. Witherbone posted:

Alright, I've been worn down sufficiently by this thread: watch old uncle Tom not utter a loving word about this and our labour minister break out some of the hardest goddamned busting techniques that our likely unprepared Unions have ever seen should they even breathe a word about taking action to make this happen.
Minimum wage is constitutionally a provincial jurisdiction, The Ontario NDP has been asking for an $11 dollar minimum wage indexed to cost of living for a while. There is a Federal minimum wage for a few workers in federally regulated industries like railways, right now it's just indexed to whatever province they get paid in, the NDP did put in a private member's bill to raise it $12, but we're only talking about a very small category of employees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The weird thing about those white power movements is how they always embrace neo-Nazi trappings, then wonder why exactly why it is they meet such hostility in the world. Like, gee, I dunno guys, maybe it's because you're a bunch of bald white guys dressed all in black and sometimes combat boots throwing roman salutes around and talking in that weird "not racist, I swear" way about the supremacy of the white race. :shrug:

At least the actual Nazis dressed nice and had an education.

• Locked thread