Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Admiral Funk posted:

Intents only have an effect on how you interact with other people. Also monkies.

Oh, guess I need to reread the wiki then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

You know I've been playing for a few weeks now but I still haven't figured out how to enter a disposal chute.

Top Quark
Aug 2, 2010

"Going where no man has gone before."

The Droid posted:

You know I've been playing for a few weeks now but I still haven't figured out how to enter a disposal chute.

Click and drag yourself into it when you're standing next to one.

Also may want to open the disposals menu before doing so, that way you can flush yourself :byond:.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."

Dilettante. posted:

Struck by errant pepperoni? Do objects get thrown around by explosions and become shrapnel now?

Or is somethin' else going on here? I knew about the bullets flying from gibbing corpses thing, but seeing someone get wasted by the shrapnel of a Deli-Meat bomb would be all kinds of funny.

Actually I think slapping people in the face is an innate property of pepperoni.

Also, It's a good idea to keep the "constructions" page from the wiki open if you're trying to build stuff. Although just kind of experimenting using the tools and the materials you have can work out ok sometimes.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Testekill posted:

I've been trapped behind the kitchen for 10 minutes now and I've run out of floor tiles to tear up.

I know I'm late, but don't neglect walls and windows if you need to get in or out of a room. While you need insulated gloves to hack a door open, you can take down most walls with the tools you find in any blue toolbox. Check the wiki under "constructions" for step-by-step guides on constructing and deconstructing walls, windows, reinforced walls, grilles, and so much more.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If you do have gloves or don't mind the shock, a quicker way to kill a door might be to tear up the floor, cut the wire leading to it and crowbar it open that way.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Or smash the poo poo out of the adjacent window. Seems to happen alot in Medbay.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Started playing this after trying it once or twice a couple years ago and giving up not even five minutes into my first round.

My first game, as an assistant, was entirely uneventful except for a guy playing football with me a few minutes before the shuttle arrived. :3:

In my second game, I got janitor, and decided to be diligent and only mop up messes after using wet floor signs. I managed to mop up precisely one pool of vomit before things went to hell. I went into the bar and found a bunch of blood and vomit everywhere, so I got out my wet floor sign and was about to drop it when a cyborg knocks me unconscious and handcuffs me. Someone inside the bar decides to drag me to the bar and force me to drink something. I ask him what it is; he shrugs and replies, "Probably just alcohol". About three seconds after the drink is forced down my mouth, I explode and rip a huge hole in the bar, but somehow manage to survive. As I'm flashing in and out of consciousness, I see someone in a medical uniform dragging me around, I assume trying to help me... nope. He stuffs me off in some random corner of the station for me to bleed out.

As I'm typing up this post, I'm watching the rest of the round unfold as a ghost, and I have absolutely no idea what's going on. Clouds of neruotoxin are floating around, I can hear explosions regularly, several places have the floor covered in chocolate bars, there is the ever-present farting, and there are a bunch of people walking around with horns on their heads. :allears:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I just had a SS13 dream. Which is weird, since I haven't played in a couple weeks.

I was running some sort of nonlethal Jigsaw gimmick, trapping a dude and forcing him to perform tasks for my amusement, controlling doors and poo poo from a vantage point. When I finally let him out, three people in riot gear (One of whom was female) descended upon my arena, wielding riot shotguns with baton slugs. I was apparently hopped up on something, because I managed to shake off a shot, get the shotgun away from one of them, and shoot all three to death.

From the floor, bleeding as I crawled to a table with old-school healing ointments on it, I exclaimed, "Jesus Christ, I'm robust!" and woke up.

Numbnuts
May 20, 2012
I'm the slow quiet traitor that makes rounds boring. I'm sorry.

It probably wasn't helped by the fact that my latest traitor mission was to just kill half the monkeys on the station (which someone else had and beat me to doing, even!) and escape, not even alone just alive.

The one time I tried to make noise, it was with a supposed bomb that one of the scientists gave me because they were apparently bored. The bomb didn't work.

On the other hand I met the scientist later, it was just the two of us waiting at escape because Kudzu was preventing everyone else from heading over The scientist was there from being at QM before it got blocked off. I had jetpacked over.
So I got them talking about how the bomb was apparently the most pwoerful incendiary thing on the don't care I just pulled you out the airlock. Too bad they didn't also have a full spacesuit.

And then I emagged the shuttle because I may as well do one noticeable thing before the shift ends.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
So what does emagging the shuttle do, anyway?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

HiroProtagonist posted:

So what does emagging the shuttle do, anyway?

Causes it to leave 10 seconds later.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I actually find it pretty satisfying to pull off some of the low key objectives without making too much of a fuss. I had the same kill 50% of the monkey's objective once and had a pretty good time going about it. First I scavenged for some tools which I used to break into engineering and get some insulated gloves. I used those to hack my way into EVA so I could get a spacesuit. Then I went for a little space walk to the outside of the monkey pen, broke in by taking apart the window and blew the whole thing open with a pipe bomb. The geneticists didn't even seem to notice. After that I snuck around the station picking off any of the other monkeys I could find before quietly hopping on the shuttle.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Seriously?

Sets the escape timer to 10 sec.

Matty
Oct 29, 2010

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

im dead

edit:

Damian Garneys (played by A nubcake) was a traitor!
Objective #1: Burn holes in the crew and massive areas of the station with a deliciously spicy pepperoni, bean and cheese jambalaya foam. Failed
Objective #2: Look really, really good while doing #1 Success

This was meant to be a non lethal gimmicky foam, but it turned out to be lethal as heck! :downs: It burnt people, mutated them, slapped them with pepperoni, burnt them some more, dosed them with chilli powder, then deafened everyone, and possibly some other things too

Later on i somehow managed to release a mix on the shuttle that unanchored the chairs and airlocks, but i have 0 idea how it happened :shrug:

Matty fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 9, 2013

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The monkey objective can be done really easily just by opening the monkey pen windows, since no one ever uses the Vend-a-Chimp and there's a grand total of maybe four other monkeys, not counting Mr. Muggles (who is basically just the free square on your monkey bingo card since he spawns in the airless, cold engine combustion chamber).

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
Too much pepperoni slapping can be fatal! This is a public service announcement.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Dareon posted:

The monkey objective can be done really easily just by opening the monkey pen windows, since no one ever uses the Vend-a-Chimp and there's a grand total of maybe four other monkeys, not counting Mr. Muggles (who is basically just the free square on your monkey bingo card since he spawns in the airless, cold engine combustion chamber).

I like to be thorough and spawn more monkeys from the machines to kill. Then one time I had the bright idea to jam the QM dock and order a dozen monkey crates to open in space. Succeeded at the objective but accidentally got myself crushed between crates.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

silentsnack posted:

I like to be thorough and spawn more monkeys from the machines to kill. Then one time I had the bright idea to jam the QM dock and order a dozen monkey crates to open in space. Succeeded at the objective but accidentally got myself crushed between crates.

That's a pretty smart approach. The kill objective is based on the total number of monkeys. Spawning more and killing them will devalue the ones in genetics. It's monkey inflation!

The worst thing you could do is cook or gib the monkeys. The gibbed ones wouldn't count and you would still have to kill half of the remaining ones.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Spoggerific posted:

Started playing this after trying it once or twice a couple years ago and giving up not even five minutes into my first round.

My first game, as an assistant, was entirely uneventful except for a guy playing football with me a few minutes before the shuttle arrived. :3:

I think that may have been me. I chucked a beach ball at a sec officer outside medical and it ended up hitting them just oustide the entrance to engineering. They were of course most impressed with my robust sports guy skills and suggested I take up football. I set out start up a team, which didn't really pan out, but at least I got to have fun throwing the ol' pigskin around.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just had the most fun as AI. Captain comes in and changes my law so all laws only apply to him. Then Captain is a changeling, and I try to blame another player for it, then I locked everyone in R&D and electricute the doors because they didn't have a proper trial, and non-human status can't change without a proper trial. People are getting electrocuted, there are 4 changelings in the station, and I'm just letting them tear up where ever.

Finally, they reset my core by tunneling through the wall. They then drag me to Robotics and kill me, and rename me "Filthy Catbeast."

The Changelings had a huge fight.

The next round, Security was being a dick, so the crew ganged up on him, beat him, and forced him to do tricks in an orange jumpsuit. This game is fun once you get the hang of it.

(Which computer in HoP lets you transfer funds?)

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

Top right one, I don't even remember what it's called.

backifran
Mar 22, 2009

I love BYOB

Turtlicious posted:

Just had the most fun as AI. Captain comes in and changes my law so all laws only apply to him. Then Captain is a changeling, and I try to blame another player for it, then I locked everyone in R&D and electricute the doors because they didn't have a proper trial, and non-human status can't change without a proper trial. People are getting electrocuted, there are 4 changelings in the station, and I'm just letting them tear up where ever.

Finally, they reset my core by tunneling through the wall. They then drag me to Robotics and kill me, and rename me "Filthy Catbeast."

The Changelings had a huge fight.

The next round, Security was being a dick, so the crew ganged up on him, beat him, and forced him to do tricks in an orange jumpsuit. This game is fun once you get the hang of it.

I was a doctor in that first round, and the one who tunneled into your core - stole your mainframe and de-brained you in disposals. I tried to crush you, but as you were so mean I thought i'd just take your brain.

After learning you'd be reset and witnessing two abominations fighting eachother, I thought you could help in locking them down while we escaped so I returned your brain. That you did, and I escaped happily ever after :)

The second round I was captain loving around with the engine for over an hour, happy with my 3mw output I decided to go deal with that sec officer after hearing millions of complaints about him all round. He whined like a little baby as I stripped, cuffed and put an orange jumpsuit on him - I threw a taser gun into the brig with him and the guy he'd been griefing used it to great advantage :)

Utterly humiliated with half the crew gathered outside to watch him squirm, he took the cowards way out and killed himself!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

backifran posted:

I was a doctor in that first round, and the one who tunneled into your core - stole your mainframe and de-brained you in disposals. I tried to crush you, but as you were so mean I thought i'd just take your brain.

After learning you'd be reset and witnessing two abominations fighting eachother, I thought you could help in locking them down while we escaped so I returned your brain. That you did, and I escaped happily ever after :)

The second round I was captain loving around with the engine for over an hour, happy with my 3mw output I decided to go deal with that sec officer after hearing millions of complaints about him all round. He whined like a little baby as I stripped, cuffed and put an orange jumpsuit on him - I threw a taser gun into the brig with him and the guy he'd been griefing used it to great advantage :)

Utterly humiliated with half the crew gathered outside to watch him squirm, he took the cowards way out and killed himself!

I was half asleep when I wrote my part, this part is much more interesting.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Over the past week I've begun playing SS13, intrigued by the Let's Play that popped up recently. Once the interface clicked, it's been a lot of fun. I thought I'd share some of the things that I've learned or done, or stuff that's non-obvious, just from the POV of a new player.

Some interface tips that would have helped me start playing:
The PageUp key, of all things, is the weirdest key you'll commonly be pressing - it swaps your active hand. Right next to it is Home, which drops whatever is in your active hand. Clicking the drop icon will also accomplish this.
You toggle to throw mode by clicking the icon over the drop icon. Clicking anywhere will throw your active hand item that way, and disable throw mode.
You can access a container on the ground by clicking and dragging from it to your player icon.
Control-click to begin dragging an object behind you - most useful for gas canisters and crates. Clicking the "Pull" button in the lower right (it will highlight orange after a second while dragging) will stop dragging.
When you catch on fire, stop drop and roll. Click the stand/rest toggle (lower right) to read Rest, then spam the Resist button.
Closing a crate, locker, or any other large container will stuff everything else on the same tile inside.
"Internals" means oxygen supply. So long as you have an appropriate face mask on (there are several varieties) and an oxygen source anywhere on the bottom hotbar you're set. You don't need to do anything to hook up the oxygen supply to the mask - if there's a toggle button for oxygen in the upper left, you're good to wander past hull breaches until you freeze. Jetpacks and oxygen tanks can be worn on the back (jetpacks are gas thrusters, so they double as oxygen supply), the small emergency oxygen supply bottles can be worn on the belt slot your PDA starts on. Not holding your oxygen in your hands is important, because you drop anything in your hands when stunned/incapacitated.

Things I've learned:
How to start the engine. My initial attempt or two produced dismal output, but I've yet to cause an engine explosion thanks to a combination of wiki and these threads. I've gotten handy at getting the engine purring along with a fire in the pipes. One plasma can in the cold loop. Spritz a second plasma in the combustion chamber, all the rest to the hot loop, and spritz a bit of oxygen into both the combustion chamber and hot loop. Set the valves, light the ignition, prep the SMECs, walk away for the rest of the round. This seems to initially max out shy of 1MW and progressively fade, but since I think the combined SMECs can only input 400kW, that's more than enough for me. I would be interested to see how those engine gurus who can push multiple megawattage do it, though.

How to hack doors. Not the most handy skill unless you can acquire a pair of insulated gloves (and a utility belt for all the clutter you need), but lovely to have when the power is dying or AI has gone nuts.

How to filch stuff with telesci. Not content to mooch off someone else's work, I made my own spreadsheet so I was sure to understand the math behind it. I definitely want to try an expedition sometime, but they aren't common. Next time one of those "goddamn, it's quiet, it's been an hour, should we just call the shuttle and call it a day" rounds pops up I intend to bring it up. Not that I know where to start, but maybe someone will.

How to build. My most recent skill acquisition, prompted by a rogue AI game with the air bridges turned into death traps. I resolved to replace the one with a real bridge. A backpack full of metal in one hand, an open wiki page on the other, I constructed a total poo poo bridge in the void of space to rescue the crew stranded on the northern side. Turns out that establishing and retracting the airbridge destroys floor tiles but not walls (shades of DF atom smasher drawbridges coming to mind). Regardless, it did seem to convince the AI to give up bridge murder after some kind of undestroyable foam flooring showed up.

Things I have not learned:
Traitoring. I've been an antagonist role twice now. The first was a late-joining Staff Assistant, two minutes before the shuttle was called. Slightly overwhelmed, unable to establish a plan, I doddered into the escape shuttle while fiddling with my PDA, ordered a fake mustache and got tazed. My second makes me feel even worse - a nuke operative, I lag spiked while jetpacking around, hit a z-level transition and bounced around the z-levels trying in vain to get back to the station. I eventually resolved to hitch a ride on the mining shuttle, but before I found the mining station again I found a strange crate that blew my arm off. Died in space. A shameful syndicate.

Genetics. I've been a Geneticist only once or twice now, since it seems to be a popular role quickly filled. I've heard that the genetics "minigame" is actually fun and I want to try it, but I'm anxious about screwing up what other people are trying to do - spending research money unwisely or something. I've tried to educate myself before doing, but the wiki is dreadfully in need of pictures. Plus, the Genetics lab is downright unfriendly sometimes. My impression of them is barking at the AI in the first two minutes for the entire station budget, spending the whole round cooped up giving themselves superpowers while the station goes to hell, and showing up to superfart in the shuttle and space people.

Suborning the AI. Clearly a critically valuable skill for any side in an AI war - either for a traitor hijacking it, or for restoring it. I've died twice to AI death laser turrets without making any progress on how people actually manage this. I will let others muck with the laws until I can observe how it's done from the perspective of the AI itself.

AI. Not gotten AI once yet. With the rush of new players, I absolutely don't want to be a poo poo AI for them so I'm very reluctant to push for the role.

Robustness. Yeah, never going to happen.

I do have criticisms, but as I'm still so new I'll cage them rather than make an rear end of myself. There may be uncharted depths to some areas of the game that at first glance appear unbalanced, or worse, not fun.

Many thanks to the coders. I look forward to dying again, and again, and again in your utterly silly space game.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grayshift posted:

Over the past week I've begun playing SS13, intrigued by the Let's Play that popped up recently. Once the interface clicked, it's been a lot of fun. I thought I'd share some of the things that I've learned or done, or stuff that's non-obvious, just from the POV of a new player.

Some interface tips that would have helped me start playing:
The PageUp key, of all things, is the weirdest key you'll commonly be pressing - it swaps your active hand. Right next to it is Home, which drops whatever is in your active hand. Clicking the drop icon will also accomplish this.
You toggle to throw mode by clicking the icon over the drop icon. Clicking anywhere will throw your active hand item that way, and disable throw mode.
You can access a container on the ground by clicking and dragging from it to your player icon.
Control-click to begin dragging an object behind you - most useful for gas canisters and crates. Clicking the "Pull" button in the lower right (it will highlight orange after a second while dragging) will stop dragging.
When you catch on fire, stop drop and roll. Click the stand/rest toggle (lower right) to read Rest, then spam the Resist button.
Closing a crate, locker, or any other large container will stuff everything else on the same tile inside.
"Internals" means oxygen supply. So long as you have an appropriate face mask on (there are several varieties) and an oxygen source anywhere on the bottom hotbar you're set. You don't need to do anything to hook up the oxygen supply to the mask - if there's a toggle button for oxygen in the upper left, you're good to wander past hull breaches until you freeze. Jetpacks and oxygen tanks can be worn on the back (jetpacks are gas thrusters, so they double as oxygen supply), the small emergency oxygen supply bottles can be worn on the belt slot your PDA starts on. Not holding your oxygen in your hands is important, because you drop anything in your hands when stunned/incapacitated.

Things I've learned:
How to start the engine. My initial attempt or two produced dismal output, but I've yet to cause an engine explosion thanks to a combination of wiki and these threads. I've gotten handy at getting the engine purring along with a fire in the pipes. One plasma can in the cold loop. Spritz a second plasma in the combustion chamber, all the rest to the hot loop, and spritz a bit of oxygen into both the combustion chamber and hot loop. Set the valves, light the ignition, prep the SMECs, walk away for the rest of the round. This seems to initially max out shy of 1MW and progressively fade, but since I think the combined SMECs can only input 400kW, that's more than enough for me. I would be interested to see how those engine gurus who can push multiple megawattage do it, though.

How to hack doors. Not the most handy skill unless you can acquire a pair of insulated gloves (and a utility belt for all the clutter you need), but lovely to have when the power is dying or AI has gone nuts.

How to filch stuff with telesci. Not content to mooch off someone else's work, I made my own spreadsheet so I was sure to understand the math behind it. I definitely want to try an expedition sometime, but they aren't common. Next time one of those "goddamn, it's quiet, it's been an hour, should we just call the shuttle and call it a day" rounds pops up I intend to bring it up. Not that I know where to start, but maybe someone will.

How to build. My most recent skill acquisition, prompted by a rogue AI game with the air bridges turned into death traps. I resolved to replace the one with a real bridge. A backpack full of metal in one hand, an open wiki page on the other, I constructed a total poo poo bridge in the void of space to rescue the crew stranded on the northern side. Turns out that establishing and retracting the airbridge destroys floor tiles but not walls (shades of DF atom smasher drawbridges coming to mind). Regardless, it did seem to convince the AI to give up bridge murder after some kind of undestroyable foam flooring showed up.

Traitoring. I've been an antagonist role twice now. The first was a late-joining Staff Assistant, two minutes before the shuttle was called. Slightly overwhelmed, unable to establish a plan, I doddered into the escape shuttle while fiddling with my PDA, ordered a fake mustache and got tazed. My second makes me feel even worse - a nuke operative, I lag spiked while jetpacking around, hit a z-level transition and bounced around the z-levels trying in vain to get back to the station. I eventually resolved to hitch a ride on the mining shuttle, but before I found the mining station again I found a strange crate that blew my arm off. Died in space. A shameful syndicate.

Genetics. I've been a Geneticist only once or twice now, since it seems to be a popular role quickly filled. I've heard that the genetics "minigame" is actually fun and I want to try it, but I'm anxious about screwing up what other people are trying to do - spending research money unwisely or something. I've tried to educate myself before doing, but the wiki is dreadfully in need of pictures. Plus, the Genetics lab is downright unfriendly sometimes. My impression of them is barking at the AI in the first two minutes for the entire station budget, spending the whole round cooped up giving themselves superpowers while the station goes to hell, and showing up to superfart in the shuttle and space people.

Suborning the AI. Clearly a critically valuable skill for any side in an AI war - either for a traitor hijacking it, or for restoring it. I've died twice to AI death laser turrets without making any progress on how people actually manage this. I will let others muck with the laws until I can observe how it's done from the perspective of the AI itself.

AI. Not gotten AI once yet. With the rush of new players, I absolutely don't want to be a poo poo AI for them so I'm very reluctant to push for the role.

Robustness. Yeah, never going to happen.

I do have criticisms, but as I'm still so new I'll cage them rather than make an rear end of myself. There may be uncharted depths to some areas of the game that at first glance appear unbalanced, or worse, not fun.

Many thanks to the coders. I look forward to dying again, and again, and again in your utterly silly space game.

AI really isn't that hard, I've been playing AI a lot, and I'm new as poo poo. If you're an AI just do what people tell you until someone tells you to murder.

If they say AI Door = Click their name, then CTRL+Click the closest door

If they ask for money, go to the Head of Personnels office cam, then press right until four computers show up. The one in the top right corner is the money computer, give them what they ask.

If they want something locked down, poo poo+click doors. That bolts them.

Teleporter is next to the Owelry, so that's where they mean when they ask you to open a portal to X area.

Open your AI PDA to PM people on their PDA's. Turn off your Primary radio's speaker for a quiet conversation in the core.

I'm honestly not sure whether asking someone to unshackle is against the first rule of robotics, but I still do it. A.) Because Robtocists love making cyborgs, and B.) Traitors need your help.

To set Security Bots on people, Find a Security Computer then type the following:

Login
run Secmate
record (or 2 which is the number of the record option)
Record ## (Where ## is the record number of your victim)
Field criminal_status_arrest

This will send Officer Beepsky and any activated Securitrons out to arrest that person.

You can also screw with the Engine as AI, but I don't know enough about it to do real damage.

The APC to your weapons are on the outside of the AI core, so someone with a pod / jetpack can fly up there and turn them off. If that happens, you're probably not going to be able to defend yourself. Find as many things to break, bolt / electrocture as many doors as you can. AI is great for Telescience because you can run the whole room yourself, and spam coordinates to spawn enemies.

Question: Can the AI approve Securitron patrol routes? And if so, how?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Cogwerks, could the pod locking mechanism be expanded to the maintenance panel? As-is, someone might not be able to jack your ride directly, but they can still take a crowbar to it and steal all the good parts.

Grayshift posted:

Genetics isn't too hard, and you can't really waste money. All research is good research, but you should start on the three and four-block sequences first rather than the two's. How it works is you pair the gene bases - A with T, C with G. If you have just one blank pair, you can brute-force it with the four possible placements of A/T, T/A, C/G and G/C. If you have several, print it off (and make sure to label it something coherent so you can find it later). When you find another sample of the same power, compare it with your first and (hopefully) that second partial will have its gaps in different places so you can complete it. You'll know it's correct when you get the option to activate the sequence.

Grayshift posted:

When you go into the AI's chamber, bring a department head's ID. There's a panel on the wall to the right as you enter the room that's probably flashing yellow. This is the turret control panel. Put the ID in your hand, and then click on the panel to unlock it. Click on it again with an empty hand to access the panel and deactivate the turret. After that, you're free to enter and steal the law module you want. Write the law, then click on the blue computer terminal on the right side with the module in hand. Whatever you do though, don't set the turret to lethal. It might seem a clever idea, but the lethal setting's heavy laser bolts shoot through the glass. Turn off the radio on the wall outside the room, and then give the AI a hint it might be a good idea to set it that way after you leave.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Grayshift posted:

There's plenty to criticize, this game shouldn't even exist by any metric. It's flawed and annoying and not fun and just plain bad but gosh I sure do love it. Glad to hear you're having a good time!

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Pryth, AKA Rahir whateveryourlastnamewas, you're a very cool dude, and I thank you for playing such a good round with me. It might've been boring for everyone else, but you are the first person I've ever successfully assassinated as a traitor, and I'm very happy it happened the way it did.

For everyone else, I just finished a round where I was a traitor CE. This is only the 2nd time I've ever been traitor in the entire time I've been playing. My goals were to kill Rahir, the barman, and escape alone. After helping get the engine set up, I set out to find my target, picking up a flash on the way. As I'm walking in, not 10 minutes into the round, the chef was in the process of being cuffed and searched by the captain. The chef admitted to being a traitor, had all his traitor gear stolen, then promptly committed suicide after being let go. Quitter. :colbert:

So I made small talk with Rahir while I wracked my brain trying to think of a plan to off him. Taking advantage of the newly abandoned kitchen, I volunteered to hack the door open for the barman, so he could pull double duty. He let me behind the bar, and I made short work of the door. We chit chatted back and forth as Rahir made a couple of small recipes, handed me drinks, and watched me hack the other kitchen door into the storage area.

That's when inspiration struck me. The freezer! I can stun him with the flash while he's in the kitchen, take off his headset, shove him in there, and hack the bolts down on the door. Perfect! I hacked the door open, set the freezer to its lowest point, and bided my time. All I had to do was wait till someone ordered food and he'd be mine.

"Pure chance" ruined that idea though. Just as I paced back to the freezer area, something or someone spawned a black swirling vortex in the middle of the kitchen! Everything around me was being pulled into it, including the floor, which let all the oxygen out of the room. I hadn't seen any internals stuff yet, so I went into full on panic mode. I ran to the furthest corner of- wait, why am I cold? poo poo, this corner is the freezer! gently caress!

My health began to go down as oxygen deprivation and cold were setting in. Just as it dipped into deep orange, I remembered that I had picked up my RCD and loaded it with ammo! I pulled it out of my backpack and deconstructed my way into the hallway just as the black hole vanished. I slowly slogged around to the front of the bar to find... nothing. Half the bar was gone, along with my target. Did Rahir get caught in the thing? As I dragged myself toward engineering, I called over the radio, just to be sure. "Rahir, you alive, man?"

"Yeah! Glad to hear you made it!" Oh good, he made it. Wait, gently caress, he made it.

Ok, ok, think. The RCD is relatively useless... They just called the shuttle... I still have my flash, my toolbox... wait, escape is south of engineering! Perfect! That place is a screaming metal deathtrap!

I head over to escape to find my exuberant chum milling around. We exchange some words, and I invite him to check out my work area. He gladly accepts, and off we go. I learn that he's never been to engineering before, so I give him a tour of the place, looking for ways to quickly silence him forever. The combustion chamber had burned out, so that was out. I don't know if I could've stuffed him into the furnace, so I didn't try. The only place left was the airlock at the northern edge of engineering, which is conveniently where our tour concluded. There, I flashed him, then dragged him out of the airlock and hacked it shut before he could recover.

His last words will haunt me till I'm done writing this post, nothing but a sad "whyyy..." and a gasp. I genuinely felt sorry for my new and recently deceased friend.

As I made my way back to escape, it became apparent that someone had been busy. The escape wing had been bombed, then firefighting foamed. I made it past the breaches into the shuttle just as it arrived. Oh yeah, I was supposed to escape alone. What was my PDA code again? Eh... gently caress it, everyone's on board already. I used my head ID to shorten the launch time and flew away from the wreckage of the station. 1 of 2 objectives completed, without traitor tools, on my second run as traitor? Yeah, I'll take that.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

neogeo0823 posted:

I don't know if I could've stuffed him into the furnace, so I didn't try

Grab him, click the furnace. He needs to be stunned because it takes a few seconds and the furnace needs to be on, but yeah.

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010
I've searched around a lot and had no success doing it myself, but has any goon gotten BYOND and SS13 working through Wine on a Mac OS?

This game seems incredibly interesting and I'd love to play, so any help or advice is much appreciated! Otherwise, I will simply read the thread and enjoy.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

PROTIP: As long as your internals air source is an oxygen tank (the small emergency tank OR a jetpack OR one of the bigger tanks drained and refilled with pure oxygen), you can dial its output down to about 17 and milk it for a really long time. This doesn't work with 'air mix' tanks, those need to stay at about 100.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Emergency tanks you find lying around in the hallways are perfectly safe to breathe from.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

neogeo0823 posted:

Pryth, AKA Rahir whateveryourlastnamewas, you're a very cool dude, and I thank you for playing such a good round with me. It might've been boring for everyone else, but you are the first person I've ever successfully assassinated as a traitor, and I'm very happy it happened the way it did.

For everyone else, I just finished a round where I was a traitor CE. This is only the 2nd time I've ever been traitor in the entire time I've been playing. My goals were to kill Rahir, the barman, and escape alone. After helping get the engine set up, I set out to find my target, picking up a flash on the way. As I'm walking in, not 10 minutes into the round, the chef was in the process of being cuffed and searched by the captain. The chef admitted to being a traitor, had all his traitor gear stolen, then promptly committed suicide after being let go. Quitter. :colbert:

So I made small talk with Rahir while I wracked my brain trying to think of a plan to off him. Taking advantage of the newly abandoned kitchen, I volunteered to hack the door open for the barman, so he could pull double duty. He let me behind the bar, and I made short work of the door. We chit chatted back and forth as Rahir made a couple of small recipes, handed me drinks, and watched me hack the other kitchen door into the storage area.

That's when inspiration struck me. The freezer! I can stun him with the flash while he's in the kitchen, take off his headset, shove him in there, and hack the bolts down on the door. Perfect! I hacked the door open, set the freezer to its lowest point, and bided my time. All I had to do was wait till someone ordered food and he'd be mine.

"Pure chance" ruined that idea though. Just as I paced back to the freezer area, something or someone spawned a black swirling vortex in the middle of the kitchen! Everything around me was being pulled into it, including the floor, which let all the oxygen out of the room. I hadn't seen any internals stuff yet, so I went into full on panic mode. I ran to the furthest corner of- wait, why am I cold? poo poo, this corner is the freezer! gently caress!

My health began to go down as oxygen deprivation and cold were setting in. Just as it dipped into deep orange, I remembered that I had picked up my RCD and loaded it with ammo! I pulled it out of my backpack and deconstructed my way into the hallway just as the black hole vanished. I slowly slogged around to the front of the bar to find... nothing. Half the bar was gone, along with my target. Did Rahir get caught in the thing? As I dragged myself toward engineering, I called over the radio, just to be sure. "Rahir, you alive, man?"

"Yeah! Glad to hear you made it!" Oh good, he made it. Wait, gently caress, he made it.

Ok, ok, think. The RCD is relatively useless... They just called the shuttle... I still have my flash, my toolbox... wait, escape is south of engineering! Perfect! That place is a screaming metal deathtrap!

I head over to escape to find my exuberant chum milling around. We exchange some words, and I invite him to check out my work area. He gladly accepts, and off we go. I learn that he's never been to engineering before, so I give him a tour of the place, looking for ways to quickly silence him forever. The combustion chamber had burned out, so that was out. I don't know if I could've stuffed him into the furnace, so I didn't try. The only place left was the airlock at the northern edge of engineering, which is conveniently where our tour concluded. There, I flashed him, then dragged him out of the airlock and hacked it shut before he could recover.

His last words will haunt me till I'm done writing this post, nothing but a sad "whyyy..." and a gasp. I genuinely felt sorry for my new and recently deceased friend.

As I made my way back to escape, it became apparent that someone had been busy. The escape wing had been bombed, then firefighting foamed. I made it past the breaches into the shuttle just as it arrived. Oh yeah, I was supposed to escape alone. What was my PDA code again? Eh... gently caress it, everyone's on board already. I used my head ID to shorten the launch time and flew away from the wreckage of the station. 1 of 2 objectives completed, without traitor tools, on my second run as traitor? Yeah, I'll take that.

It was a great round. I hope to see you on the station again, hopefully without the assassination.

Just to add my perspective, this was my first time ever being the Barman, so I was shocked when the Chef confessed to being a traitor right at the start of the round. He offered me banana grenades, I refused, he gave 'em to someone else. I wanted to learn how to be a barman, and had some experimenting to do. After the Chef's arrest, a guy milling in the bar offered their help opening up the doors so I could try and be both Chef and Barman. I accepted, of course, after trying to get the AI to spare him the trouble. (The AI in that round either missed me or just wasn't doing anything.)

We figured out how to make toast, I figured out what all was around and how to make various drinks, I even managed to make bourbon-flavored ice cream! In fact, when the black hole happened, I was devastated; I thought my new friend had gotten eaten by the thing, and my career (and my bar) was in ruins. Imagine my surprise when he calls on the radio! I grab two cones of bourbon-flavored ice cream, intending to share them with my buddy when we met up, and ended up meeting him at escape.

I didn't suspect anything, and I'd ended up with meson scanners, so he said he wanted to test if flash wouldn't work on me. The rationale was that they might work like sunglasses. So he flashed me, and I was stunned but not blinded. When I stood up again, ready to get out, he flashed me again and pushed me into space. The last thing I heard from my friend and assassin was 'Sorry, you're a cool guy.'

I couldn't even get mad.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Prythian posted:

I grab two cones of bourbon-flavored ice cream, intending to share them with my buddy when we met up, and ended up meeting him at escape.

Oh no. Nooooooooo!

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Prythian posted:

It was a great round. I hope to see you on the station again, hopefully without the assassination.

Just to add my perspective, this was my first time ever being the Barman, so I was shocked when the Chef confessed to being a traitor right at the start of the round. He offered me banana grenades, I refused, he gave 'em to someone else. I wanted to learn how to be a barman, and had some experimenting to do. After the Chef's arrest, a guy milling in the bar offered their help opening up the doors so I could try and be both Chef and Barman. I accepted, of course, after trying to get the AI to spare him the trouble. (The AI in that round either missed me or just wasn't doing anything.)

We figured out how to make toast, I figured out what all was around and how to make various drinks, I even managed to make bourbon-flavored ice cream! In fact, when the black hole happened, I was devastated; I thought my new friend had gotten eaten by the thing, and my career (and my bar) was in ruins. Imagine my surprise when he calls on the radio! I grab two cones of bourbon-flavored ice cream, intending to share them with my buddy when we met up, and ended up meeting him at escape.

I didn't suspect anything, and I'd ended up with meson scanners, so he said he wanted to test if flash wouldn't work on me. The rationale was that they might work like sunglasses. So he flashed me, and I was stunned but not blinded. When I stood up again, ready to get out, he flashed me again and pushed me into space. The last thing I heard from my friend and assassin was 'Sorry, you're a cool guy.'

I couldn't even get mad.

SS13.txt :3:

Pretty much half the time I die to an antagonist it's hilarious or absurd enough I'm not mad and thought it was great. The other half someone just runs through with a C-Sabre killing everyone, or throws a pipe/PDA bomb to you 2 minutes into the round and those are terrible.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I've cleared a grand total of three assassination objectives by my own efforts. One wizard where I took Shocking Grasp and all three of my targets (Captain, HoP, Janitor :iiam:) charged me at once, one where the Scientist that was my target and the Captain who wasn't got locked into an artifact forcecage with me while I had the captain's energy gun, and one where my Janitor target decided to explore belt hell without a spacesuit. I basically stood in front of the door when the conveyor launched him and let space do the rest. I apologized after their deaths in the non-wizard cases. :shobon:

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
Public Service Announcement: We have real meat nuggets! (Warning: meat in any given nugget may be sourced from several different creatures.)

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Does this mean we get pigeons space chickens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
I think my first ever game went well!

I was hoping to be a Staff Assistant, even putting it as my favoured job. I ended up as the AI, and pretty much opened doors for very impatient people until the station was exploded by Syndicate. It took long enough for me to figure out my first set of doors that the guy asking ended up grabbing a blowtorch and cutting through the walls next to it, just as I opened it.

The Janitor was cool + polite, although after the syndies showed up she requested to be locked in the Morgue. Just before the station exploded, she asked that I tell whoever finds the drifting hulk that she tried her best, but my cameras showed blood pretty much everywhere so clearly that is not true.

• Locked thread