Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I already clicked. I had to click. Should be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Fellwenner posted:

What are the undesirable consequences of the One Mind upgrade?

Blood cookies. Also not a joke.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Colbear posted:

Blood cookies. Also not a joke.

Yeah, I got one of those. Not cool!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

They're not all bad. Once you start getting that stuff more golden cookie types show up and the red cookies don't necessarily always have negative effects. One multiplies your cookies per second by 666 and one can give you over seven trillion cookies if you do it right.

Pretty sure this game killed m1 on my mouse before I got bored of it. Oh well, I needed a new one anyway.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There's definitely some psychological explanation behind why our stupid monkey brains loves it but gently caress if I know what it is.

The game from every angle is a Skinner box.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operant_conditioning_chamber

Everything from the numbers that pop up when you click the giant shining cookie to the cookies falling down in the background, the achievements and upgrades and shadow achievements are ALL set up to be positive reinforcement. The game gets you to keep playing soly because it keeps rewarding you, and offhand the only two things I can think of that would hook people harder would be including audio, or adding something that punishes you until you correct it (since that strengthens positive reinforcement) so something like a "a parasite is sucking your giant cookie dry and taking 5% of your cpm, click him off" would keep you more hooked into it.

Basically the short version is I swear to god you could get two doctorial thesis out of this game, and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWtvrPTbQ_c

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Forer posted:

...or adding something that punishes you until you correct it (since that strengthens positive reinforcement) so something like a "a parasite is sucking your giant cookie dry and taking 5% of your cpm, click him off" would keep you more hooked into it.

I think the Grandmapocalypse was supposed to do this but it didn't achieve that.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It does do that, it's like the last thing you buy. I forget what it's called, but there's something that does exactly that to stave off the Grandmatriarchs.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

It does do that, it's like the last thing you buy. I forget what it's called, but there's something that does exactly that to stave off the Grandmatriarchs.

The problem is that Elder Covenant isn't a good thing to buy because the 5% CPS penalty is a worse decision than paying 500 billion cookies every half hour.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
The best tactic is to sell off your grandmas after researching all the percentage cookie upgrades from the grandmatriarch line, if you have some chips in the bank you can pretty much do without grannies, farms, mines and factories. I'm thinking about buying them back now that I got the 200 cursors upgrade again though, having a few hundred extra buildings could be nice for my cps but I'm not sure if it's worth it vs stacking time machines, portals, labs and shipments...

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked
I had a dream last night that I was at some party and my first thought at the party was to make sure Cookie Clicker was running in the background, so I ran to the first computer I could and put it on before going about my dream day. Maybe it's time I should pack it in before I end up like that celebrity.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I am such a cookie clicker cheater, but I'll never be given the cheating cookie.

I use Cheat Engine to increase the game speed by 2x. I then have a toggle macro on my mouse that presses the mouse button over and over until I turn it back off. At regular speed, the game detects between 110 and 110 click per second. At 1/2x speed it detects 230-240 clicks per second. I use 1/2x for things like the x666 production and even the x7 production. When I know when I am going to be away from the PC for a while, I use the 2x game speed and set my mouse to click. I wracked up about 55-60 trillion cookies from about 3am to 7:30am when I woek up this morning.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

SlayVus posted:

I am such a cookie clicker cheater, but I'll never be given the cheating cookie.

I use Cheat Engine to increase the game speed by 2x. I then have a toggle macro on my mouse that presses the mouse button over and over until I turn it back off. At regular speed, the game detects between 110 and 110 click per second. At 1/2x speed it detects 230-240 clicks per second. I use 1/2x for things like the x666 production and even the x7 production. When I know when I am going to be away from the PC for a while, I use the 2x game speed and set my mouse to click. I wracked up about 55-60 trillion cookies from about 3am to 7:30am when I woek up this morning.

at that rate why not just Game.Earn(99999999999) and var me=Game.AchievementsById[70]; me.won=0; to remove it?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Just hit one Billion cps with at least 100 of each building type and every single achievement bar the shadow achievements.

Now to reset at a quadrillion cookies in hand :getin:

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

SlayVus posted:

I can understand wanting to cheat to get Cookie Clicker out of your life, but why go to such elaborate lengths for something that is just basically a number counting game?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Welp, I finally reset at 100 quintillion cookies and got 346 heavenly chips out of the deal. :cripes:

About two hours or so later, I'm up to 150 of everything but time machines, and I make 7.5 billion cps. I guess it was worth it. :stare:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Segmentation Fault posted:

The problem is that Elder Covenant isn't a good thing to buy because the 5% CPS penalty is a worse decision than paying 500 billion cookies every half hour.

That's the thing, though. You could buy Elder Covenant, but that wouldn't do what the whole Skinner Box/Daily Reward version of compulsive game design is shooting for. That's a situation in which you buy one thing and never think of it again--it goes against what they want you to do, which is make a habit of checking back in. The Golden Cookies were Phase 1 of forcing you to keep your attention on the window, but then as you progress through the game you hit a point where you're deeply invested and have a lot of Cookies Per Second. Then, at that point, your golden cookies don't give as consistently good rewards. So, for a price, you can temporarily alleviate that and get only-good-golden-cookies again. Then you have to check back in every half hour.

You were even conditioned to check back every half hour in the first place, because of the whole factory research angle. The pledges just continue to enforce that behavior. Basically, you'll probably end up finding yourself checking on the window every half hour when you aren't actively clicking golden cookies, because you were not only conditioned to click the cookie, but to check in on your game in that chunk of time. The whole Covenant thing only exists to either A: bypass that entire part of the game if you don't like it, or B: ignore it if you get bored of it.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Forer posted:

at that rate why not just Game.Earn(99999999999) and var me=Game.AchievementsById[70]; me.won=0; to remove it?

Because that's a little too cheaty for my tastes. There is still a distinct passage of time required for me to do things like buy 100 time machine.

It helped with the Neverclick shadow achievement as well. Use 2x speed to increase the rate of GCs. I had to wait for 4 GCs to get the 15 cookies for the cursor.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 10, 2013

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

http://orteil42.tumblr.com/post/60536520310/spaghettimiles-i-cant-believe-smbc-predicted <-- Oh, my god, it did get predicted!

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is the 100 Time Machines achievement even possible? Would it scale up to costing quintillions of cookies at that point?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The last few time machines are in the same ballpark as the last few cursors.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Cameron posted:

Is the 100 Time Machines achievement even possible? Would it scale up to costing quintillions of cookies at that point?

Yes it's possible, no it doesn't cost quintillions of cookies. The cost to buy the next of any item is (base price)*1.15^(current number owned). So buying your 100th time machine would cost 123456789*1.15^99, or a bit over 126 trillion cookies.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
I started using google timer to beep at me when the next grandma upgrade is available. Knowing what that beeping sound means, makes it a bit haunting.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
So, the answer for Cookie Clicker is crack, huh?

I hate how crack tastes. :smith:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I wish the golden cookies would float on whatever browser tab you are looking at.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN
This is the best MMORPG I've ever played. Plus it's entirely free.

SodomizeTheWeak
Apr 20, 2002
I'm going to miss that banana popsicle.
Not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but I think I found a bug. If you get a clot, just save and reload. If you do it fast enough you won't lose too many cookies, and the clot will instantly disappear.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Thats a lot of effort to save a negligible amount of cookies.

SodomizeTheWeak
Apr 20, 2002
It's two to three clicks depending on what screen you're on, not that much effort in a game all about clicking in the first place.

But you're probably right. By the time you get to the point you're getting clots cps is only a small part of your cookie income.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I let my six year old nephew play cookie clicker.

He couldn't stop talking about if for the next half hour. SO EXCITED ABOUT COOKIES!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Why am I supposed to buy the Elder Pact? I don't see any effects to having the Grandmatriarchs mad at me except for a change in the news ticker. My CpS doesn't go down (or up, when I buy the pact), I don't get it.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 10, 2013

SodomizeTheWeak
Apr 20, 2002
When you have all the golden cookie upgrades and a poo poo ton of cookies banked then you can get a fuckload of cookies if you get a lucky cookie while a frenzy is still going. Buying the pact takes out the blood cookies for a bit so this is more likely to happen.

Before the patch I was up to 9.4 trillion cookies if I could get that combo. The ammount you get has been reduced now though I think, and I prestiged so I can't do it yet to test.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

Why am I supposed to buy the Elder Pact? I don't see any effects to having the Grandmatriarchs mad at me except for a change in the news ticker. My CpS doesn't go down (or up, when I buy the pact), I don't get it.

It makes red cookies go away.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Cookie Frenzy + Clicking Frenzy is pretty magical. I got a couple of those and now my hand made cookies are just shy of 20% of my total cookies made. With only 500Mil CpS I got about 26billion during the clicking frenzy.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CapnAndy posted:

Do you mean Elder Pact, or Elder Pledge? Elder Pact will increase your CPS depending on how many grannies and portals you have. Elder Pledge will sate their wrath and stop red cookie production, which is better for you in the long run.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Yeah, to whoever who asked: looks like 'True Neverclick' is the last Neverclick achievement.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

flatluigi posted:

Yeah, to whoever who asked: looks like 'True Neverclick' is the last Neverclick achievement.

I could have answered that when someone asked about that earlier.

But maybe I wanted to make people suffer :getin:

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 10, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

flatluigi posted:

You don't know unless you keep going!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Speedball posted:

It makes red cookies go away.
Oh. Considering I'm at the point where I was intentionally starting grandmageddon just in the hopes of something interesting happening, that's... not really an incentive. I just leave it open in a tab all day, come back and click the next ten buildings I can actually afford or whatever, and then gently caress off again.

Maybe I'm done then :(

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I came into this thread and opened add reply to complain about never getting a golden cookie.

Two minutes later and my cookie count quintupled.

And I still can't get another time machine. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If you're using the most current version of the spreadsheet, add
pre:
=sqrt(B17^2+J17^2)-B17
to cell L17

It takes your current Heavenly chips and your current all time cookies and calculates how many cookies you'll get when you reset.

I currently have 45 chips (about 2Pcookies) and if I reset now at 4.5Pcookies I'll get 36 more chips.

• Locked thread