Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Username Here
Aug 20, 2012

~No devil on my shoulder!~

Edminster posted:

I think my first ever game went well!

I was hoping to be a Staff Assistant, even putting it as my favoured job. I ended up as the AI, and pretty much opened doors for very impatient people until the station was exploded by Syndicate. It took long enough for me to figure out my first set of doors that the guy asking ended up grabbing a blowtorch and cutting through the walls next to it, just as I opened it.

The Janitor was cool + polite, although after the syndies showed up she requested to be locked in the Morgue. Just before the station exploded, she asked that I tell whoever finds the drifting hulk that she tried her best, but my cameras showed blood pretty much everywhere so clearly that is not true.

I cleaned as much as I could before my bucket was stolen from me. I even asked the quartermasters for another one but they weren't even there to fill my request :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
Ah, that explains the (dying?) Captain slurring for me to give you QM access upon request. I had no idea how to do that but you never asked me so I guess it turned out okay! Thank you for being so polite, by the way. It really helped me not feel like a total spaz when it took a minute to figure out how to respond to requests.

Funny story: I put staff assistant as my favoured job so I could try and be the Janitor's Assistant, in charge solely of placing and removing Wet Floor signs and keeping track of the mop bucket. Some day I'll get my dream job~

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Grayshift posted:

Traitoring. I've been an antagonist role twice now. The first was a late-joining Staff Assistant, two minutes before the shuttle was called. Slightly overwhelmed, unable to establish a plan, I doddered into the escape shuttle while fiddling with my PDA, ordered a fake mustache and got tazed. My second makes me feel even worse - a nuke operative, I lag spiked while jetpacking around, hit a z-level transition and bounced around the z-levels trying in vain to get back to the station. I eventually resolved to hitch a ride on the mining shuttle, but before I found the mining station again I found a strange crate that blew my arm off. Died in space. A shameful syndicate.

Oh, hey, I was the Syndicate King that round. You have the right idea about the mining shuttle, by the way, it's one of the few ways back to the station without telescience. You're doing far better than I was after a week, and to emphasise that, my round consisted of blowing another syndicate's arm off because I was fiddling with the military PDA and pressed "BOMB" instead of "MISSILE", flying to the station and disguising myself as a chef, getting shot repeatedly by the Captain because he was being a dick to a staff assistant and I got in the way, getting some sick burns put on me by the real chef before the assistant saved me, then killing the Captain in the brig, taking the disk, and freeing the cuffed assistant out of courtesy.

The assistant proceeded to tase me and take all my gear, explaining "I am an assistant, we have no honour". My screams about the proleteriat standing together were for naught. One of my fellow syndicates ran in at this point, but instead of helping me he honked a clown horn incessantly and told the stunned, naked me that I should help him get his stuff back. I ignored him. The assistant led me a merry chase across the entire station before I finally got caught.

A bad round. A shameful syndicate. I have been playing this for nearly a year and every single nuke operative round has turned me into an embarassed ball of shame.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Sep 10, 2013

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
It's honestly better to lose hilariously than it is to win five minutes in. There's nothing wrong with the latter, and it's satisfying to achieve, but it's often more fun for everyone when a Nuke round is a complete disastrous fiasco on all sides. Case in point: the most entertaining Nuke round I ever played was essentially a Murphy's Law comedy with less Ben Stiller and more explosions and death.

At the start of the round, all the operatives started divvying up equipment and making plans. The leader hosed off almost immediately and I never saw him again. Another operative beelined for the pod, so I grabbed an RPG launcher and hopped in with him. I have no idea what the others did but I think it involved jetpacks, guns, and a metric Christload of ammunition.

When we reached the station, we immediately encountered resistance in the form of the QM pod. We won that dogfight, but another pod had arrived to reinforce the valiant Quartermaster, so we set about fighting that thing. Unfortunately, my pilot was not especially skilled, whereas the new pod's pilot was apparently some kind of lunatic genius space ace, judging by the beating we were taking. I warned my partner that I was going to bail out, try to flank the other pod, and attack it with RPG fire. A moment later, I was out and flying free, backpack in one hand and launcher in the other. The initial flanking manoeuvre went spectacularly, and I fired at the enemy pod, which very narrowly juked aside at the last possible instant. My partner, intent on tailing his opponent, and having apparently ignored or forgotten my warning, followed hot on his feels and flew directly into a live RPG.

The resulting explosion obliterated the Syndicate pod and sent the other operative hurtling towards the station in flames. Luckily, the blast had damaged the other pod as well, and I was able to finish it off with small arms fire after a tense but exciting fight. Jetting to the cargo bay to retrieve my wounded partner, I was greeted by revolver fire. I guess he must have been pretty pissed, because he was too intent on shooting at and publicly slandering me to do anything about the angry mob of SS13 crew gathering on the other side of the airlock or the fact that he was completely goddamn engulfed in flames. I just shrugged and said my goodbyes. My last sight of him before departing was a swarm of peons beating his prone, burning form with fire extinguishers in possibly the most ironic mob attack ever.

More pods began to arrive in search of me. Somebody was working overtime in the pod bay. Outmatched, I fled the Z-level and found the asteroid field. I spawned myself a shotgun, made my way to the mining station, and gunned some sorry bastard down. "Sorry, guy," I said, as he bled out, unconscious, on the floor. "It's just business."

"Syndies in mining," he replied, in a brief moment of consciousness. Rude. I leveled my shotgun and gently chastised him for his lack of social grace. With his ID in hand, I hopped onto the shuttle.

Naturally, there were a pair of Security officers waiting for me on the other side of the airlocks, tasers at the ready. We spent a few minutes in a stalemate, neither side willing to risk a direct assault, before the round ended. I forget whether we won or lost, but I definitely remember my ex-partner's furious ranting in the post-round OOC, and in the following pre-round OOC. As far as I could tell, he was the only one who was really upset; everyone else seemed to agree that it had been quite an exciting round.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

There was a round where the Syndicate launched a pod attack on the station, which had constructed its own defence fleet.

This was shortly after pods were introduced, and at the time pod fights had a major issue in that the explosion from a destroyed pod was powerful enough to kill any other pod in one hit. Ejector seats had also not been invented.

There were no survivors.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dauntasa posted:

There was a round where the Syndicate launched a pod attack on the station, which had constructed its own defence fleet.

This was shortly after pods were introduced, and at the time pod fights had a major issue in that the explosion from a destroyed pod was powerful enough to kill any other pod in one hit. Ejector seats had also not been invented.

There were no survivors.

Crashing that burning pod into a bay full of a good half-dozen pods and crewmembers didn't help either.

River
Apr 22, 2012
Nothin' but the rain

Good Username Here posted:

I cleaned as much as I could before my bucket was stolen from me. I even asked the quartermasters for another one but they weren't even there to fill my request :sigh:

That was me. I stole it. In my defence, coming from my office (I was detective) to medbay involved slipping over when going through almost every airlock. The lack of signs led to your loss of cleaning privileges. Which is a shame, since one of the best things to do as a janitor while doing your job is to clean the most well traveled, annoying places, then when people slip you *sigh and point to the wet floor sign.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I have grown rainbow melons, the plant they grew from immortal but seedless.

Then someone murdered the immortal plant in the escape shuttle :(

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Crashing that burning pod into a bay full of a good half-dozen pods and crewmembers didn't help either.

I was in one of the station's pods that made it into combat. It took one shot from a syndicate pod and exploded immediately, killing me, the copilot and the syndicate pod.

Someone had the command pod, which was just tough enough to take one explosion without blowing up so he managed to kill five people just by lasering them and tanking the explosion, then repairing his pod. He was awarded a shining golden Ace Pod, which was then blown up by a Macho Man flying an artillery pod which also accidentally blew itself up by getting too close.

Pods.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I once tried to get a pod into the shuttle by shooting the front windows. With an artillery unit.

The pod did get in, careening wildly through the shuttle leaving a trail of flaming destruction until it slammed into the glass back near the sleepers and exploded, setting everyone inside on fire.

Chaos341
Aug 13, 2010
Ia Ia McRib Ia Ia

http://imgur.com/a/xEHYB

Aphtonites
Dec 25, 2012

Sure, Jailbot was broken, but
weren't we all at some point? :(
Does anyone remember Europa Laboratory 65, the successor to Mars Outpost 42 that I was working on a while ago?

Well, development has started again! I'm changing the location to earth and started working on a much more efficient water system.
But BYOND seems to always make the water flow in one direction instead of letting it spill everywhere, even though I coded it not to :argh:

Aphtonites fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 10, 2013

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!

Ah yes, the day the McRib came back.

All glory to the ribmind.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
How's a guy remove keys from byond.lljk.net? I've forgotten the password to both my old BYOND account and the email account I used to make it.
I'll play without for a bit but yeah

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I hate to be that guy, but can someone explain the McRib joke/thing?

Shadowbag
Jun 1, 2011

When shitposting, it's always important to properly stretch first.
Soiled Meat
The word poo got wordfiltered to McRib on the official server forums because people would not shut up about it.

Seriously, shut up about poo people.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
Well, just died in this game. My objective was to kill all the monkeys, which I did, then I followed an escaped convict into the security lounge, where I almost got framed for an unconscious guy on the floor, went insane, thought I was Harrison Ford in "Airforce One", eventually found a hand tele, and got zapped into space.

I love this game. :haw:

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Well, I think that's as good a reason as any to add new food items for the chef. What with the nuggets and all.

:colbert:

How would you actually get ribs and barbecue sauce though?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Elth posted:

How would you actually get ribs

There's a thing called a scalpel and/or knife that will probably suffice :v:

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Elth posted:

Well, I think that's as good a reason as any to add new food items for the chef. What with the nuggets and all.

Rock worms? Squeezings from those freaking space ants whose name I can never remember?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Space pigs. Use a surgical buzzsaw on one to flay it open and get a pile of pig meat bits and a slab or two of ribs. then process into rib paste, mold it with an empty hand into a mcrib shape, then bake for some time. Barbeque sauce can be ordered, and the kitchen starts out with a bit. Slather on the cooked rib, then use on a piece of bread. Voila! Bbq McRib Sandwhich!

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Elth posted:

Ribwich meat should totally come from an amalgamation of different meat-types processed together, like "people gibs + teleporter monster meat + something-that-isn't-meat-at-all" all thrown into the mixer to form a complete sandwich with no heating required (just to further nail down what a Frankenstein of food processing it is). As for the sauce? I'm sure the Chemists could manufacture something vaguely edible :getin:

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011

neogeo0823 posted:

Space pigs. Use a surgical buzzsaw on one to flay it open and get a pile of pig meat bits and a slab or two of ribs. then process into rib paste, mold it with an empty hand into a mcrib shape, then bake for some time. Barbeque sauce can be ordered, and the kitchen starts out with a bit. Slather on the cooked rib, then use on a piece of bread. Voila! Bbq McRib Sandwhich!

Jonny Retro posted:

Rock worms? Squeezings from those freaking space ants whose name I can never remember?

Long pig Mcrib?

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I decided to come back to SS13 after not playing it for a couple of years. I was murdered within 3 minutes and then immediately mocked by an admin.

It's like I never left.

Shadowbag
Jun 1, 2011

When shitposting, it's always important to properly stretch first.
Soiled Meat
Why did the admin mock you?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
How did the admin mock you? Usually it's a pretty funny deal.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Nothing Earth-shattering. I was, to put it charitably, being "unwary" in the crew quarters. A dude came up behind me, I gave him the benefit of the doubt (aaaahahaha) and received acid spit in the eyes for my naivete. Dragged off lightning-quick into a maintenance tunnel, consumed, and got a voice in my head stating "Nakar was here. ...Yes." I was just bumbling around, poking things, figuring out the new UI and such. Easy prey. I used the remainder of the round to ghost around and get a better feel for the station layout.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Geekkake posted:

Nothing Earth-shattering. I was, to put it charitably, being "unwary" in the crew quarters. A dude came up behind me, I gave him the benefit of the doubt (aaaahahaha) and received acid spit in the eyes for my naivete. Dragged off lightning-quick into a maintenance tunnel, consumed, and got a voice in my head stating "Nakar was here. ...Yes." I was just bumbling around, poking things, figuring out the new UI and such. Easy prey. I used the remainder of the round to ghost around and get a better feel for the station layout.

:allears:

I hate to ruin the magic, but those most "You hear a voice in your head" messages, including those, are from hallucinations. He stuck you with hallucinogenic venom and you were tripping balls in your coma.

happy cabbage
Mar 1, 2008

Where did I put that sunscreen?

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Although I'd love to have a lot more forensics stuff in the game, this wouldn't really accomplish anything if "maybe syndicate guns won't have ids." It's pretty obvious that the detective shot someone if the victim's got a .38 shell in their chest. Not a whole lot else around other than the armory shotguns.

Speaking of which, I'm thinking of giving the bartender a rocksalt-loaded shotgun.
:getin: y/n

(dear detectives: you have a door into the morgue for a reason! Why not hang out there more often? I'd love to see people get in the habit of actually checking to see what shot a person instead of just saying 'oh, they were shot, clone 'em. body wouldn't clone? gib it')

Late to the discussion but the barman used to spawn with a shotgun. Just bring it back and change it's ammunition to rocksalt or what have you

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

happy cabbage posted:

Late to the discussion but the barman used to spawn with a shotgun. Just bring it back and change it's ammunition to rocksalt or what have you

Yeah, I know. Used to have a shotgun around Dev/Ovarymap era.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
So last night was a great night for scientists and mechanics. I can't tell you all of what happened in the round, because I mostly stayed in the kitchen and bar.

The round started off fairly normally. I was the chef, so I decided I was going to make some cakes. Things were pretty uneventful, but someone really early on got into the AI Core and gave it one law.

The entire station had to party.

The AI immediately began partying, telling everyone else to party, and whatnot. Notably, it told the barman to let in mechanics to scan and copy the party button all over the station. As multicolored flashing begin filling everything, I discovered that I couldn't make cakes very easily, and someone came to help me. Eventually we made some yellow cake and finished it off with alcohol icing. (I'm not sure exactly what bits of alcohol I grabbed; I know rum was involved.)

My friend sends me some chilis (and chillis) and just like in an earlier round, I began making pizzas. People were getting drunk and drugged all over the station, the scientists were making space drugs and whatever else would get people high, I'm fairly certain someone was probably growing weed, and I was just here sober and watching the chaos in the bar. People would eat a slice of a pizza, get frozen in an ice block, and then when they thawed go back for seconds. Someone even dragged the AI to the bar, as that was the center of the station in party mode.

As the round neared its end, explosions began going off somewhere on the station. At the time, it wasn't entirely certain whether it was the work of traitors or just the intoxicated crew playing with things they shouldn't. After a bit of uncertainty, we called the shuttle, and began to drag the AI to the shuttle. After all, we couldn't leave the Party Master behind. But the traitors or party haters, whoever they were, set up bombs in Escape. Right before the shuttle arrived, they went off, killing a few of us gathered there and several damaging the AI. One of the crew next to me had a party button on his corpse, presumably saving it for the shuttle.

As a ghost, I now watched people getting blown up near escape as people piled onto the shuttle. And then, before the shuttle left, some brave soul grabbed the party button and installed in on the shuttle. As the lights began to flash, the entire dead chat let out a cheer. That wasn't the last twist, though; someone blew themselves up on the shuttle to kill those gathered there right before it left. Fortunately, the AI survived.

Somewhere, out there in space, a lone, damaged AI is flying a bloody wreck of a shuttle, partying hard as the lights flash. The party never ends.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

I think I got a grasp of botany now, 3 people decided to eat my super-chilis and I think at least 2 of them died. A bit bummed though, cause both my mutant chili and melon plants were of the immortal seedless variety. My gene-spliced oranges never produced fruit, nor did the spliced banana!

What use is honey and can I get more bees? Should I dump all produce to the kitchen or just send it to cargo to be sold?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Daeren posted:

:allears:

I hate to ruin the magic, but those most "You hear a voice in your head" messages, including those, are from hallucinations. He stuck you with hallucinogenic venom and you were tripping balls in your coma.
I wasn't even on the server at the time! So yes you were probably tripping balls.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Prythian posted:

Somewhere, out there in space, a lone, damaged AI is flying a bloody wreck of a shuttle, partying hard as the lights flash. The party never ends.

I spent almost all of this round out mining and teaching a newbie miner how to use pods*. The radio chat was amazing even from off-station, from my perspective the round went something like:

* progressively more drunk (and drunker) people on the radio shouting about partying
* a noble soul of a mechanic bringing the party to the mining outpost by way of a party button in the fabricator room
* "ORGER MORE BEESH, AI! WE NEED MORE BEEEESH!"
* "OH GOD BEE PROM NO! NOOOOO!" "All those bloodstained bee tuxedos and dresses..."
* "WOO! PAAAARTY-" *BOOM* "AAAAAGH PARTY"

I managed to get back to the station just in time to nudge a couple (presumably extremely drunk) partygoers back into the escape wing, get on the shuttle, and get hit by the exploding guy. A good round.

* one of the pods in question may have been the command pod that a traitor tried to kill me in. Rule of thumb: miners out mining are easy pickings regardless of your method of attack. Miners out mining directly adjacent to a mining pod are not.

nimby posted:

What use is honey and can I get more bees? Should I dump all produce to the kitchen or just send it to cargo to be sold?

I think honey works as a condiment, but it retains the reagents of whatever plants the bee gathered nectar from. Rainbow weed honey will get you high. You can sell it too.

Generally I'd see if there's a chef or QM working - send it to whoever's around. If there's both, send the chef a couple loads of produce and then the rest to QM, the chef can only cook so much at a time but QM can chuck endless produce crates onto the market.

Clockwork Cupcake fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 11, 2013

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I think you can buy extra bees somewhere or other. If QMs can't order them directly I think there's a vendor somewhere out there who sells bee larva eggs.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Nakar posted:

I think you can buy extra bees somewhere or other. If QMs can't order them directly I think there's a vendor somewhere out there who sells bee larva eggs.

The QM absolutely can order new bee crates and you should bug them for as many as you can afford.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Clockwork Cupcake posted:

I think honey works as a condiment, but it retains the reagents of whatever plants the bee gathered nectar from. Rainbow weed honey will get you high. You can sell it too.

My colleague in botany was working rainbow weed, I had rainbow melons and fiery hot / icy cold chili plants. How hosed up was our honey?

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

Clockwork Cupcake posted:

I spent almost all of this round out mining and teaching a newbie miner how to use pods*. The radio chat was amazing even from off-station, from my perspective the round went something like:

* progressively more drunk (and drunker) people on the radio shouting about partying
* a noble soul of a mechanic bringing the party to the mining outpost by way of a party button in the fabricator room
* "ORGER MORE BEESH, AI! WE NEED MORE BEEEESH!"
* "OH GOD BEE PROM NO! NOOOOO!" "All those bloodstained bee tuxedos and dresses..."
* "WOO! PAAAARTY-" *BOOM* "AAAAAGH PARTY"

I managed to get back to the station just in time to nudge a couple (presumably extremely drunk) partygoers back into the escape wing, get on the shuttle, and get hit by the exploding guy. A good round.

* one of the pods in question may have been the command pod that a traitor tried to kill me in. Rule of thumb: miners out mining are easy pickings regardless of your method of attack. Miners out mining directly adjacent to a mining pod are not.

Generally I'd see if there's a chef or QM working - send it to whoever's around. If there's both, send the chef a couple loads of produce and then the rest to QM, the chef can only cook so much at a time but QM can chuck endless produce crates onto the market.

Oh, yeah, I completely forgot about the bees. Someone, lots of someones, started hatching bee eggs in the bar early on. Some explosion killed a lot of them.

rip

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Prythian posted:

PARTY PRISON 52

I was the AI, it was a pretty great round even though the flashing lights in every room nearly made me go blind. Immediately after the HoP uploaded the party law one of the mechanics asked me over the radio if I needed anything replicated, so the Party Buttons seemed like the best idea. I don't know why there were so many bees in the bar but they seemed to be enjoying themselves. At some point I mentioned that lovely Bill probably would have liked the party and almost immediately someone had transported him over (though sadly he died a minute later when the bar exploded). One of things I've found that makes the goon servers more fun than the alternative is a much higher percentage of people willing to play along with the weird stuff.

Random mostly-unrelated AI opinion question: The captain spawned as a traitor that round. Right after I used the budget computer to transfer funds to Genetics he ran up to it, drained the rest of Payroll into his personal bank account, and tried to taze the HoP, who ended up escaping. Then he whipped out an e-mag and raided the HoS office. I mentioned the e-mag over the radio and he accused me of being lovely for outing him so early in the round (it was about five minutes in). I don't really like traitor-hunting as the AI but he was being pretty blatant. I didn't bolt him in or shout his location or anything, but was it still uncool to out him as a traitor?

Anyway I hope the party I helped throw made up for any bad form on my part. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Hobo Clown posted:

Random mostly-unrelated AI opinion question: The captain spawned as a traitor that round. Right after I used the budget computer to transfer funds to Genetics he ran up to it, drained the rest of Payroll into his personal bank account, and tried to taze the HoP, who ended up escaping. Then he whipped out an e-mag and raided the HoS office. I mentioned the e-mag over the radio and he accused me of being lovely for outing him so early in the round (it was about five minutes in). I don't really like traitor-hunting as the AI but he was being pretty blatant. I didn't bolt him in or shout his location or anything, but was it still uncool to out him as a traitor?

If you're being that blatant, you don't really deserve grace. As a traitor you also have to be aware of what's going on; if you were just asked to transfer money around, chances are you're going to be looking at the bank computer. Coming in and tasing the HoP and then emagging the doors pretty close to it makes it very likely you're going to be seen.

Besides, Captain traitors are arguably one of the strongest (because of the all-access IDs).

• Locked thread